Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Canada Day/Independence Day - It's a North American Weekender 30/6-4/7 (ok ok 7/4)

Notices

Canada Day/Independence Day - It's a North American Weekender 30/6-4/7 (ok ok 7/4)

Old 07-02-2017, 12:06 AM
  # 81 (permalink)  

I lived in Alaska for 10 years, it's beautiful up there. It feels quite a bit different than the rest of the lower 48.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:24 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Alaska does look picturesque tekink, I would love to visit. I am not sure if I could cope with living there over winter though.

There was a sizable party at Trafalgar Square in London yesterday celebrating 150th Canada Day. This is a pic lifted from the web, as you can see poutine was much in evidence.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170702_121758.jpg (54.3 KB, 34 views)
Old 07-02-2017, 04:42 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

It's raining big fat cats and dogs. I evidently have low blood pressure and want nothing but drinking coffee, eating cheese and watching movies.

Instead I am kicking myself in derriere to put together my profile at Fiverr because I need extra income to ensure won't go without food again.

Blah.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:58 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I went to Alaska in late August. I was amazed by how tall the pine trees were. Crap.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:59 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I was having relapse dreams and woke up feeling like I got hit by a bus. I had to remind myself that I had not drank in fact.

Here's to a successful week.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:51 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning everyone. Was up late watching the Canada Day show and fireworks. The line-up for mini-doughnuts was so long I had to buy two buckets to make it worth my while.

Brenda, loved your post about the fireflies. I haven't seen one in years and years. I have a silent co-worker also, young guy, hates talking. He's one desk over from me but will send an e-mail rather than ask me directly.

I was going to ask you Soutchik if you tried the poutine. On the news yesterday they interviewed a food vendor at Trafalgar Square and she was shocked at how well the poutine was selling.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

My first sober Canada day. In my past life, I would've hated sitting in the park all evening watching bands. They've no alcohol and I'd be miserable, watching the time, counting the minutes to the moment I could get home and get inebriated. I would avoid those situations at all costs.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Congrats on a significant first - sober Canada Day. Very cool, STDragon!!

I'm up and around after a fitful night of sleep. I don't know what has gotten into me lately. Pressure is mounting again at my work, maybe that is it. We have a very large project underway that will finish in October. Heating up.

I need to work on personal finances today - not my kind of Sunday fun, but I better dig in and face up, before something goes very wrong. I don't know what that would be, but that is another source of my general sense of doom.

I don't know. I've been rocking along for weeks now, feeling good. And over the past week have begun feeling fragile and fearful, which makes me angry. And angry is my AV's main instrument. Whine officially ended, for now.

So....uh... good morning, comrades!! How is everyone?? Soooooooo glad you are here!! With meeeeee!!! Ha!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:14 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Never apologise for posting that you are struggling Lava, Weekenders exists because times like this can be hard.

Lava I notice that you start off by saying "how am I going to get through this day?" which implies that you are not enjoying life at the moment. I realise its not easy but perhaps you could make some changes to how you spend your time so as to include things that you like doing. Doing something I enjoy is a sure fire way to take my mind of of drinking and the evenings/night time is the worst for most of us.
I really really need to start engaging in activities that interest me and that I'm good at. I took note of the topic (I think it was on arg's thread or somewhere else....) about reconnecting with one's creative side and it resonated with me. Thanks, sao....
Old 07-02-2017, 06:19 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
Hi, Lava.

I enjoy SR.

Sometimes in my real life--not so much. I definitely drank to escape and muffle out stressful situations.

So when I realized that my substance as a human being was dwindling away to nothing because of the alcohol, I didn't hesitate to camp on SR day and night. It was my lifeline to sanity.

I learned practical techniques for resisting difficult temptations--plus I learned a lot of life wisdom from people who had walked the road before me.

Many of the stories here are fascinating.

I recommend that you come on here at your most vulnerable times, both to read and to let loose with a primal scream if you are at the end of your rope.

Often just a quick five minutes here would give me just the boost I needed to get through one more night.

Hang in there!

PS--my life is much better now because through the maturity of sobriety I have learned how to love better and build better.

I have seen pictures of Uganda, and it looks beautiful.
Thanks, Gilmer.

I had gotten off SR for a bit, having succumbed to my demons (alcohol). However, I'm so glad that I'm back and committing to giving this another shot. I need my life back.

And yes, Uganda is beautiful. Of course, like any developing country it does have its issues but many people who come here just fall in love with it and stay. My husband for one, lol.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Hi, weekenders.

It's raining big fat cats and dogs. I evidently have low blood pressure and want nothing but drinking coffee, eating cheese and watching movies.

Instead I am kicking myself in derriere to put together my profile at Fiverr because I need extra income to ensure won't go without food again.

Blah.
Omg you sound like me! It's raining, my neck hurts, my conditioner stopped working and I just want to stay in bed with coffee and cheese and Netflix, but I have to go to work. I really wanted to call off this morning!

Actually it's a beautiful sunny day now, but it was raining.

Because I was messing with my headlights last night to see more lightning bugs, I usually have them on auto, so they turn off after I get out of my car, but they stayed on and my battery died. I have crappy neighbors that don't notice things. :P
Old 07-02-2017, 07:12 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Brenda, how did you get to work then if you battery died? Maybe, some of your crappy neighbors gave you a lift?)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
Congrats on a significant first - sober Canada Day. Very cool, STDragon!!

I'm up and around after a fitful night of sleep. I don't know what has gotten into me lately. Pressure is mounting again at my work, maybe that is it. We have a very large project underway that will finish in October. Heating up.

I need to work on personal finances today - not my kind of Sunday fun, but I better dig in and face up, before something goes very wrong. I don't know what that would be, but that is another source of my general sense of doom.

I don't know. I've been rocking along for weeks now, feeling good. And over the past week have begun feeling fragile and fearful, which makes me angry. And angry is my AV's main instrument. Whine officially ended, for now.

So....uh... good morning, comrades!! How is everyone?? Soooooooo glad you are here!! With meeeeee!!! Ha!
OMG! Reading your post immediately revved up my anxiety. Then I had to talk myself into calming down and that it's Sunday and I can relax. I get so anxious about work and finances too. It's been pretty tough since the year started. I'm sure things will work out for you, bixbees, because, honestly, worrying and getting anxious doesn't solve anything.
Old 07-02-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Oh, I'm sorry, Lava!! LOL!! Does it help to know I have done nothing since writing the above other than drink coffee, and eat cheese?!

You are SO right that anxiety has zero benefit. It used to be the only fuel that would get my rear in gear. But then it quit working for me. (Kinda like alcohol...no benefit, only consequences and pain!)
Old 07-02-2017, 07:55 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
Oh, I'm sorry, Lava!! LOL!! Does it help to know I have done nothing since writing the above other than drink coffee, and eat cheese?!

You are SO right that anxiety has zero benefit. It used to be the only fuel that would get my rear in gear. But then it quit working for me. (Kinda like alcohol...no benefit, only consequences and pain!)
Super! Lol! This anxiety thing is such a pain and so crippling. One of the things I would like to get addressed with a professional. All the best, bix!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
I was going to ask you Soutchik if you tried the poutine. On the news yesterday they interviewed a food vendor at Trafalgar Square and she was shocked at how well the poutine was selling.
I have not seen it on sale myself yet Dragon, I doubt if too many Brits have heard of it - I am pretty sure it was on SR that I first heard about it. Belgium are another country that are very keen on chips (fries) they serve them with mayonnaise.

Brenda, see if you can find a neighbour with jump leads, once started it will not take long to charge up (I hope that didn't sound like mansplaining)

Don't let those anxieties get on top you, you Weekender ladies are all pretty smart you should take these head on, you will overcome them.

I saw my grandaughters today. According to the eldest fidget spinners seem to be yesterdays "thing" She is currently engrossed in making "slime" which is a sort of Play-do or Silly Putty. I offered to help but boys are no good at it apparently.
Old 07-02-2017, 09:41 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MidnightBlue View Post
Brenda, how did you get to work then if you battery died? Maybe, some of your crappy neighbors gave you a lift?)
I got a jump? The way you said that sounds like you don't believe me for some reason.

Yeah, Sao. My car knowledge is not that limited.
Old 07-02-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Brenda, sounds like the fireworks and lightning bugs led the way because you chose the right path! What a cool story

Bix, I had that same voice in my head on Wednesday while on my road trip. I'm glad we both got through it so we can continue forward....

Hello friends! I've been bouncing all over SR so I apologize if I'm repeating myself....I am off work tomorrow, from both jobs! Think I'll have another cup of coffee.....for once I don't have to go to bed early! Thanks everyone for being here
Old 07-02-2017, 01:44 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Evening all. Had an up and down weekend but still plodding along 😀
Hugs xx
Old 07-02-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Hi petals...good to see you!