Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Canada Day/Independence Day - It's a North American Weekender 30/6-4/7 (ok ok 7/4)

Notices

Canada Day/Independence Day - It's a North American Weekender 30/6-4/7 (ok ok 7/4)

Old 06-29-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thank you, as always, for the great opener!

Some longer-term SRers may know this already, but MLD51 and I actually grew up less than 20 miles from one another. And western Wisconsin really is beautiful.

There are two U.S. regions I've never visited: New England and the Deep South. For different reasons, I'd love to experience both.

My independence from addiction is really a second start on life. I'm grateful everyday.

The tourism lure of New Orleans puts a heavy emphasis on drinking. And there's plenty to be had; I can see why it would be viewed as a potentially problematic place for a recovering alcoholic/addict to visit. Well, I'm pleased to report that I've been there three times: twice as a sober person and once, 20 years ago, before that. The second and third trips there were every bit as fun ... more so, perhaps, as there were no hangovers. I love New Orleans.

I bet you'll make it to New Orleans someday, Sao. In the meantime, here's a little treat from one of its all-time finest, Miss Irma Thomas:

Old 06-29-2017, 08:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I cannot tell whether the youtube vid picked up in that last post. Here's another try for Irma:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zh2UVm5vzcI
Old 06-29-2017, 11:52 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Morning all
Happy weekend everyone..... well it's still Friday here but I'm sure it's the weekend somewhere!
Right time to tackle Friday! Hugs to everyone xx
Old 06-30-2017, 12:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, welcome to Weekenders Colette122!

Both links worked just fine Venny, Irma Thomas has a wonderful voice. I'm sure I would enjoy N.O a whole lot better without being drunk or hungover which used to be my default condition

Every Friday there is often a build up of anticipation, looking forward to the evening and knowing you don't have to get up so early the next day. That little frisson that often kicks in when collegues and co-workers discuss their plans. On a holiday weekend all of that is magnified

To assist in not getting swept up in the tide of booze focussed social activities it is a good idea to plan an alternative such as going to a movie. The worst thing is to go home and sit there thinking about drinking and what you might be "missing out" on.
Old 06-30-2017, 01:30 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Happy Independence Day and Canada Day to everyone from those countries.

Thanks, sao, for the opener. It's something great to look forward to every end of week.

I've never been to either Canada or the US... We plan on going to Hawaii soon, though... More like next year. I've never had a strong urge to visit North America (I have always preferred Europe) but, if I was to choose, I'd go with New Orleans too. It just seems like such a fun place. I've never read any James Lee Burke, sao, so I've made a note to check him out next time i'm at the book store.

Congrats on shotgun, STDragon! And congrats on 30 days from cigarettes, LadyBlue. Great achievement.

Everybody who'll be celebrating, just make sure to stay safe.

Cheers!
Old 06-30-2017, 01:45 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post

Both links worked just fine Venny, Irma Thomas has a wonderful voice. I'm sure I would enjoy N.O a whole lot better without being drunk or hungover which used to be my default condition

Every Friday there is often a build up of anticipation, looking forward to the evening and knowing you don't have to get up so early the next day. That little frisson that often kicks in when collegues and co-workers discuss their plans. On a holiday weekend all of that is magnified

To assist in not getting swept up in the tide of booze focussed social activities it is a good idea to plan an alternative such as going to a movie. The worst thing is to go home and sit there thinking about drinking and what you might be "missing out" on.
Yeah.... A movie would be great. WonderWoman has got great reviews. I don't know if it's still showing out there. It is here and I think I'll suggest we go see it this weekend..... Though that means leaving my toddler at home, which I don't like to do... Oh well, I'll see...
Old 06-30-2017, 04:50 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Yup Wonder Woman is still going. I have done a runner from the office and driven down to a place called Goodwood on the South Downs for the annual Festival of Speed - a motorsport event. I am somewhat in my element.

This is the F1 Mercedes of 2013
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170630_125004.jpg (61.9 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 05:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'd love to join this weekend thread. Last weekend's thread really helped me stay sober. Happy Canada Day and Fourth of July to all us North Americans, I hope everyone has a safe and sober weekend..

My husband and I are off for a really long weekend, 6 days total, and I am loving all the extra time together. He is so much happier when he's not stressed with work! Long weekends were always an excuse to get drunk and celebrate. Today we will be going to the coast with the kids and then seeing a concert tonight. We won't get home to until fairly late so I should be safe today but my brain has already been going crazy trying to justify drinking Saturday. Its also my birthday and I keep thinking about how I would love to just have a few drinks and relax by the fire outside. I've literally been struggling/fighting with this since yesterday am. I've come up with every reason in the world why I should just drink this one night... You would think struggling this much would make this a no brainier. Normal people don't have to mentally fight with themselves not to drink. I am an alcoholic, I can't even have drink just that one night... I guess I just need to keep telling myself that. I will be so happy when I get to a point that my AV shuts up or at least quiets down..

Any words of encouragement or reasons why I shouldn't drink would be great, I know it's true but it always sounds much better from somebody else's mouth. :-
Old 06-30-2017, 05:10 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post

I missed this somehow before I posted, you are absolutely right and that is great advice. I need to plan something to do ASAP. Boredom has always been one of my biggest triggers. I thought we were going to sit outside and have a fire but that is just too much temptation. Thanks for the great advice. Now I'm thinking, duh why didn't I think of that already.. just make different plans! lol
Old 06-30-2017, 05:12 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Really good sober night's sleep, after a fairly productive evening. Got my bathroom cleaned, laundry done, homework and painted my toe nails. First time in a while not taking anything to fall asleep. Only woke up once because it was storming and the power went out. Woke up without an alarm at 6:30 and decided to grab an extra hour even though I didn't need it. Coffee now and more homework and reading today. A meeting would be nice later if I decide to shower and put pants on. Friday is my pants optional day.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:18 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Mandosca, I've heard people say this, and it really is true: even though you may be tempted sometimes, nobody ever says "I'm really sorry I didn't drink"--but many people are very sorry they chose to drink.
Old 06-30-2017, 05:33 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

^ That is so true!
Old 06-30-2017, 05:59 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Trying to proclaim my independence from this extra weight. Eating some smoked salmon and a bowl of fruit with lowfat cottage cheese for breakfast. It's pretty tasty, but I miss my bacon, egg, and cheese on a biscuit with a side of hash browns for breakfast. Maybe I'll still eat that on Sundays instead of Alldays.

Keep it sober, y'all!
Old 06-30-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I don't have full english breakfast very often for the same reason.

I expect they use this for the school run in some parts of the world.
Attached Images
rps20170630_143305.jpg (37.7 KB, 39 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 07:08 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Sao, it has my name on it lol (my fake name)

I on the other hand DID have bacon and eggs with cheese for breakfast :P
Old 06-30-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Greetings Enders!!

Born and raised in Seattle. Lived in San Francisco for eight years, (which is where I perfected my addiction).
Moved back here and finally go sober, so feel a little bit born and raised - again - in Seattle.

I did an internship in London many years ago, and I have always said that if I ever go back there I might likely end up staying! One of my favorite places.

In for the weekend!!
Old 06-30-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I am in.

Sober today, healthy tomorrow.

No binge, no cringe.
Old 06-30-2017, 11:11 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hope everyone has a good sober weekend:-)
I'm in the UK so my weekend won't be as exciting as a lot of other folks lol

Tomorrow however is day 14 for me though and I'm super happy. Furthest I've got in a long time!
Old 06-30-2017, 11:25 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
Sao, it has my name on it lol (my fake name)
I reckon it is yours then Brenda. If you had one of those you could probably guarantee a parking space. Chenowth are still manufacturing these things so they must be popular.

Olive despite your experience I would still like ti see San Francisco.

This is the Festival statue this year
Attached Images
rps20170630_191546.jpg (39.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 06-30-2017, 11:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Almost as intimidading as the Chenowth and certainly as imposing was this 24litre 1,500 cubic inches Napier Railton. The did actually run the thing later in the day, it was deafening
Attached Images
rps20170630_193134.jpg (47.5 KB, 30 views)