Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Pour yourself a shot of Self Respect Weekender 10th - 12th June

Notices

Pour yourself a shot of Self Respect Weekender 10th - 12th June

Old 06-11-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Fantastic news MidnightBlue, anyone would be anxious awaiting biopsy results.

I have seen some people swimming in the canal this afternoon. I wouldn't fancy it although the water is supposed to be safe to do so. They are doing widths, I should have dared them to do a length.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:12 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

MB, that's terrific news. I know what relief you must be feeling now.

The day here began with scary weather, though my specific area emerged fairly unscathed. At one point, there were 90,000 households without energy, though the power company seems to be getting people back on the grid.

If you're new to SR, I hope you're feeling the sense of accomplishment inherent in completing the weekend sober. Feels so good, doesn't it?!!
Old 06-11-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Congrats, MB! Not only did you get some wonderful news, but you faced it sober and made it. Big hug!
Old 06-11-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

So my bother (Who live in another province) posted a picture of himself and his adult son and a case of bud hoisted on his shoulder. Boy that sure set off all kinds of 'Why not me' feelings of jealousy and envy.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Why do I still try to talk to her? If I say it's black, she says it's white. If I am elated and proud of something she barely reacts to it. If I am excited about something, she'll put a damper on it. No matter what, she is a buzz kill. Why. Do. I. Try.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:19 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  

Brenda that sounds exactly like someone I used to be friends with. I had to cut all contact because they were so toxic. Hugs to you!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:37 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Morning /evening, weekenders!

I am having coffeee and enjoying quietness of a beautiful day unfolding.

See you)
Old 06-11-2017, 08:16 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Grateful Recovering Alcoholic

Thank you Sao for the inspiration. I was a drinker at home, at parties, whatever I did, and while I drove (loved drinking and driving!) In sobriety the fear, shame and remorse are gone. For the first year it was difficult, sorting out who could still be called a friend, and how and where I could go and handle being sober. Parties, concerts, and the beach were special challenges. Slowly the mind and body began to enjoy waking up feeling good physically and mentally. I woke up to interests I had forgotten about. I began to read and really enjoy books. I noticed nature for the first time in years and learned about plants and gardening. I made friends in my program who have the same interests and we support each other. Sobriety was a difficult choice but I am so grateful to have surrendered and persevered in it.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Evening everyone. On day two and it is amazing how spaced out and messed up my brain is today, jumping at every little noise, forgetting my thoughts, it is almost amusing in some way.

I had a crazy sugar craving for frozen blueberries and raisins mixed with a little milk, was pretty good.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:12 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

I'm on day 4 sober on this long weekend (where I am and PJ is). It also happens to be the same weekend of an annual food and wine festival near my neighbourhood. I'm miserable...don't congratulate me on (almost) 4 days. I don't see it staying this way at all. I never seem to get past 4-6 days sober in a row.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:29 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to Weekenders sweetnlow & Bubblygirl.

sweetnlow it sounds as though you are doing really well, congratulations.

Time2LLL60 you have made it through the weekend so well done. Sobriety takes a bit of getting used to. Sugar cravings are very commonplace in early recovery, the good thing is that eating sweet foods help reduce the level of cravings, at least they did for me.

Bubblygirl, enjoy your long weekend, early recovery is not fun but if you persevere the rewards can be amazing, why not go for a long walk this evening, it will occupy your mind and prevent or reduce the cravings and you will fall asleep faster (sleep is often elusive early on). You don't have to pick up at the 4-6 day mark.
Old 06-12-2017, 12:10 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Morning guys.
Time to roll out of bed and get up.
I'm thinking it may just possibly be time to reintroduce coffee back into my diet....
Hugs xx
Old 06-12-2017, 03:47 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning all, I've been contemplating giving up coffee actually. Or maybe reducing it to one smaller cup at work instead of one giant cup first thing in the morning.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:05 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Bubbly - you really are near me then. Lots caught by Mr Policeyman today coming back from said festival. Yep- getting pissed on red that comes out of a bottle- with words like 'crisp' and 'aged'. Much more romantic hangovers than the ol' goon sack. Hope people do take care....
Old 06-12-2017, 06:58 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Thank you for your post, sweetnlow - I am in the beginning stages of the same things and feeling great - your words are very encouraging!
Old 06-12-2017, 01:43 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  
saoutchik

I had some bad news today, my mum died.

It was not a total surprise as she nearly died a month ago. We were estranged so I am not grieving and I won't be drinking over it but it makes me aware of my own mortality.
Old 06-12-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

So sorry Saou to hear that.
Extra special hugs coming your way from me.xxx
Old 06-12-2017, 02:47 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

prayers, sao
Old 06-12-2017, 03:09 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

(((((Sao)))))
Old 06-12-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I had some bad news today, my mum died.

It was not a total surprise as she nearly died a month ago. We were estranged so I am not grieving and I won't be drinking over it but it makes me aware of my own mortality.
A very hard time, my thoughts are with you saoutchik.