Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Pour yourself a shot of Self Respect Weekender 10th - 12th June

Notices

Pour yourself a shot of Self Respect Weekender 10th - 12th June

Old 06-12-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

So sorry to learn about your mother Sao. I know what you mean about how when someone close to us dies, it gives us a reality/mortality jolt. Glad you were able to see her before she passed.
Old 06-12-2017, 04:47 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Hi sao;

I am sending you sympathy for your Mum's death.

By the time my mother died we were also not close,
but it has a way of getting to you a bit even so as it sinks in.

I
Old 06-12-2017, 06:38 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Sorry about your news Sao.
Old 06-12-2017, 06:50 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

Condolences, Sao. Estranged or otherwise, it is never pleasant to have a family member pass. I'll just offer my support and friendship, as you routinely do for so many of us here, buddy.

Dawg
Old 06-12-2017, 08:19 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Lots of supportive vibes your way, Sao.

It's a very challenging time emotionally. Please, take good care of yourself.
Old 06-12-2017, 11:22 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning everyone, thank you all for your kind words.

My friends will be off to Le Mans this morning and I am feeling disappointment that I am not going. That is probably not what I should be feeling but there we are.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:23 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Sao, sending you the biggest virtual hug I can. So sorry to hear about your mom.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:34 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Sao, sorry to hear about your mom.
Old 06-13-2017, 04:20 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  

Doubly sorry, Sao.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
I had some bad news today, my mum died.

It was not a total surprise as she nearly died a month ago. We were estranged so I am not grieving and I won't be drinking over it but it makes me aware of my own mortality.
I'm so sorry, sao.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Sao, I continue to send support and sympathy during this difficult, and somewhat complicated, time. My wish for you is peacefulness.
Old 06-13-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 132 (permalink)  

Hi Sao,

Joining others in condolences for your mum. I had a "complicated" relationship with my mother and ambivalent feelings when she died. I definitely felt like I should (or should not) have had some of the feelings I did.

I've started a meditation practice recently. And though I am a fledgling practictioner, I'm learning to try to look at what I do without judgment. I hope you can do that too during this time (e.g., being disappointed about not going with your friends to Le Mans). Your feelings are neither right nor wrong; they are just what you are experiencing in the moment.

I also wanted to say how much I enjoyed your opener, and how I often enjoy each week's opener. I find your honesty and reflection, and how you shape your ideas, to be quite compelling. Thanks for putting the time into them that you do.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:39 AM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Sorry, Sao

I drank last night, and caused myself to be severely dehydrated this morning. I got sent to the ER because I kept having episodes of syncope (very nearly passing out, everything was going dark). When you're very dehydrated it decreases your blood volume, making it harder for your heart to perfuse both your brain and your extremities, so it goes hey brain, I think we need to lie down immediately. Not very fun.

I felt better after lying down a few minutes but it happened again when I stood for 2-3 minutes so my instructor made me either call for a ride or go to the er.. and I didn't want to bother my mom.. or go to the er and I was a little difficult.. but also I think a little confused. When I finally did go to the er I had trouble responding to simple questions.

They didn't do much. They couldn't get an IV in, so they had me drink water. I still feel very lightheaded, just trying to take it easy and drink water so I am on my feet tomorrow... and stay on them. I have to make up the clinical day but not on maternity, on the cardiopulmonary unit at the end of the semester.

My buddy that wheeled me down to the er knows me well. Soon as the elevator doors closed, he says what did you do? I did keep it to myself that I drank..

If it were graveyard shift in the er, I would have told the doc more and maybe gotten a script for something that would help with what I'm struggling with, but it was a mad house at 9am, and I saw too many sets of scrubs the same color as mine.. not students from my class but from my school. So I stuck to my story and got my note.

I have to get on some kind of medication soon.. and lay off booze.. I can't sleep without it though and I get anxiety and shakes so bad.

I wasn't thinking clearly when the doctor saw me either.. or I would have just quietly brought it up.. he could have been discreet about it. But I didn't want to risk him saying something to one of the nurses in earshot of a student or who knows who else was in the dept. And again at the time I was in a mental fog.. that's also a dehydration symptom..

Back to icing the hematoma on the back of my hand from their one attempt at getting an IV in me!
Old 06-13-2017, 11:08 AM
  # 134 (permalink)  

For the love of all that is holy in this world. I actually just considering going out for a six pack. We got issues, big time.

ETA: I admit way to too much, presuming fellow alcoholics get it... reality is, some of you with long stretches of sobriety or even if you're in your early days and your pink bubble.. you read this and can't get your mind around it. So it's okay, I understand..
Old 06-13-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
ETA: I admit way to too much, presuming fellow alcoholics get it... reality is, some of you with long stretches of sobriety or even if you're in your early days and your pink bubble.. you read this and can't get your mind around it. So it's okay, I understand..
It really doesn't matter if we get our minds around it Brenda. And to be quite frank it doesn't matter if you "understand that we don't get it", what really matters is that you realize what's going on. You just ended up in the ER because of your drinking and then lied to the doctors and your friends about why you were there. Until you "get it" none of the rest really matters all that much.

I hope you can get help before it's to late - take a minute and really think about the gravity of what just tranpsired and what you are risking by your behavior. You need help.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:13 PM
  # 136 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Because I am an alcoholic myself I absolutely "get it" BrendaChenowyth. No matter how destructive it is to our health, career or relationships we HAVE to drink. You have quit for 6 months before so you are able to do it but clearly in terms of mentality you are not in a place where can stop.

I would really recommend some form of counselling or outside help if you can access it, at least with your connections you have a chance of finding some help and I would hope that they would encourage people to seek help.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:48 PM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It really doesn't matter if we get our minds around it Brenda. And to be quite frank it doesn't matter if you "understand that we don't get it", what really matters is that you realize what's going on. You just ended up in the ER because of your drinking and then lied to the doctors and your friends about why you were there. Until you "get it" none of the rest really matters all that much.

I hope you can get help before it's to late - take a minute and really think about the gravity of what just tranpsired and what you are risking by your behavior. You need help.
Scott... it was a rambly message. I'm sorry that it didn't make sense.

And yes, I get it. I understand.
Old 06-13-2017, 01:50 PM
  # 138 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Because I am an alcoholic myself I absolutely "get it" BrendaChenowyth. No matter how destructive it is to our health, career or relationships we HAVE to drink. You have quit for 6 months before so you are able to do it but clearly in terms of mentality you are not in a place where can stop.

I would really recommend some form of counselling or outside help if you can access it, at least with your connections you have a chance of finding some help and I would hope that they would encourage people to seek help.
Thank you for saying so. It matters to ME that I'm not completely alone in this. I guess it's not supposed to...
Old 06-13-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 139 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by BrendaChenowyth View Post
It matters to ME that I'm not completely alone in this. I guess it's not supposed to...
That's not what anyone is insinuating, me included. Don't make assumptions when it comes to something as important as what you are going through right now. Of course we understand the insanity that is alcoholism...we have all been there before.

We are a community of support and when we see things happen like what just happened to you, it makes people very concerned - because we have seen really bad things happen to ourselves, and those around here. Getting taken to the ER involuntarily because of your drinking ( and it's happened to me before ) is about as serious as it gets.

I know you don't like sharing what you are doing for your recovery, and you don't necessarily like discussing it either - you like using SR as an escape. That's fine too, but you can't also dismiss the fact that you will get the kind of responses you get when you come to us with a dire situation. We all take this business VERY seriously and we want you to as well.
Old 06-13-2017, 02:06 PM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry for your loss Sao.

D