Notices

Escaping reality Weekender 10 - 12th March

Old 03-11-2017, 12:50 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  
saoutchik

A full English Breakfast! Food of the gods.
Old 03-11-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
I may have ruined the cast iron skillet I got from my mom...that had cooked every meal of my childhood. I'd read how to use salt and soap to scour it...but I rinsed that out and DID NOT "bake it dry". Maybe I can re,season it.
Here you go Bix

Re-seasoning - American Skillet CompanyAmerican Skillet Company

On your job, have you looked into the family medical leave act? How is your employer about these things?
Old 03-11-2017, 03:12 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

bimini, that picture! Bwahahahahaaaaaaaaaa

Ruby, I've owned a rabbit. The one thing you definitely want to watch out for if you decide to get one is they like to chew everything. One day I picked up the remote and the bugger had chewed all the soft rubber buttons off it.

Bix, I hope things continue to get better for your dad. Sending prayers your way.

Thoughts go out to Ken (Weasel) who is moving this weekend. It's 7 degrees out right now so it's going to be a cold effort!

Sao, I don't mind a little snow. We had about 1 to 2 inches last night BUT, BUT, BUT, they are looking at a possible NorEaster here next Tuesday night into Wednesday. UGH. Could be up to a foot of snow. There just comes a point where you get so close to spring you say "enough is enough!".

For all of you who deal with Daylight Saving Time don't forget to set those clocks ahead one hour when you go to bed tonight!

Loving seeing the newcomers in here and familiar faces from the past!

Getting ready for grocery shopping and not looking forward to the next thing after. TAXES. Ugh.

The giraffe April still has not had the calf. I suspect it's getting close though.

Everyone have a great Sober Saturday
Old 03-11-2017, 03:28 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post

Tetra, I don't think bed bugs are that easy to get rid of. I hope you have success with the tto.
Yes I am realising that now.

How to Get Rid of Bed Bugs Completely and Permanently

I have hoovered the room, the bed, everything.

I am washing my sheets on a 60 degree wash as we speak.

I sprayed all areas and the bed with an insecticide/tea tree oil combination.

I am just getting tired of all this. It's too much work. Life is meant to be enjoyed while I am trapped inside re-washing sheets.
Old 03-11-2017, 03:52 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Good morning all. Up early and planning to hit the gym. Everyone else in the house are still snoozing. Including the dog who was just fed. I love the peace and quiet.
Old 03-11-2017, 04:09 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Good morning all, or day whatever time zone you are in.
I wanted to quickly say hi as I always enjoy reading the weekender posts. I typically only post in our very supportive Jan17 thread.
I am celebrating 70 days today, with coffee and endless chocolate digestive biscuits.
Have a happy, sober weekend all.
Old 03-11-2017, 05:41 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 70 days dontlookbacchus, wonderful!
Old 03-11-2017, 05:54 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  

Congratulations, DLB!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:32 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Here you go Bix

Re-seasoning - American Skillet CompanyAmerican Skillet Company

On your job, have you looked into the family medical leave act? How is your employer about these things?
Thanks for the skillet info!
My employer is quite good, but there are two factors...

First...all FMLA is unpaid, which you are probably aware. But I understand I can work out an "intermittent" leave where only the leave I actually take will come out of paycheck instead of my going completely off pay. That would be easier for me to manage, plus it would keep me IN my job and role without it being offloaded to someone else and then I come back in a few weeks to who knows what changes.

Second...there is a very big change to the company structure coming up in a few weeks. I don't want to be on any kind of leave at all during that transition. So I plan to limp along with vacation until that is over.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

my bunny has chewed off the buttons on remotes also. and anything else she can get those teeth into. grr! but she is darn cute.
Old 03-11-2017, 06:45 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

And goooood moooooorning, Sober Nam!! I slept very late, just having coffee now. So glad to be sober...it makes everything bearable and doable.

I enjoyed a new thread in newcomers yesterday, which turned into a recap of RR and AVRT. The discussions of that approach are very powerful and thought provoking to me. To each his own, for sure, but different perspectives can expand ones repertoire.

For me, the switch over to "I don't drink and I'll never change my mind" does put me more in drivers seat and less in fear and doubt than I'd experienced before.

Well, visiting with my mom and then heading back to hospital. Have great sober Saturday's out there!

Welcome to all the new faces, as others have said! Look forward to hearing from you as we go!
Old 03-11-2017, 06:48 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Julia- perhaps get the rabbit to eat the whole remote..that way all have to do is give the bunny a cuddle and change channels at the same time.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

It's Saturday morning. Yay. I decided to go retro and watch cartoons this morning. . . so I have "Finding Dory" on pause while I make breakfast and talk to youse guise.

dontlookbacchus - what a great username.

"cuddle the bunny, change the channel"

Bixy, I'm so happy to hear your dad is on the mend. Well done on making that Big Plan. We all have to find what works. You don't drink, no matter what.

Sao, no idea what a proper English breakfast is, but I remembered to defrost a small sirloin overnight and it's been sitting in a marinade for 12 hours, so it's steak and potato and a mushroom/spinach/tomato/cheese omelet for me - maybe even a piece of whole wheat toast. Grymt (spell?) I wish I had the simplicity to make my own bread, that was lovely. It is not gonna happen. $1.25 for a loaf of bread at the store that lasts me two weeks in the freezer. If I made my own I'd eat the whole loaf in one day.

Saturday at doggie beach! It's my favorite dog day. So far no rain, so that's good. It's been super windy here the last few days. Seems to have blown itself out for now.

No drinking today, right? Alrighty then. I'm sticking to that plan.

The baby eagle is still on the nest. I think I'll wake up one day soon and *poof* Right now he is working on a pretty big fish the male adult brought! Breakfast, here I come.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:04 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BixBees505 View Post
And goooood moooooorning, Sober Nam!! I slept very late, just having coffee now. So glad to be sober...it makes everything bearable and doable.

I enjoyed a new thread in newcomers yesterday, which turned into a recap of RR and AVRT. The discussions of that approach are very powerful and thought provoking to me. To each his own, for sure, but different perspectives can expand ones repertoire.

For me, the switch over to "I don't drink and I'll never change my mind" does put me more in drivers seat and less in fear and doubt than I'd experienced before.

Well, visiting with my mom and then heading back to hospital. Have great sober Saturday's out there!

Welcome to all the new faces, as others have said! Look forward to hearing from you as we go!
I have been looking in to AVRT, and it sounds like a lot of what I was doing last fall, without knowing it was a thing.
I want to get a sponsor and do the steps.

I also need to make a recovery plan.

Slept okay last night but had trouble getting out of bed this morning. Late for work. Meh.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:41 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  
saoutchik

BixBees i agree that different perspectives widen ones outlook. Often i think that whatever method or approach is chosen is no more, and may in fact be a bit less important than the amount of work or effort you put into it. Just my opinion.

Elsewhere SoberWolf started a thread about spring cleaning. Saoutchik Towers needs a bit of that so I have started slowly with the smallest blind.
Old 03-11-2017, 08:47 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Old 03-11-2017, 09:19 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Thought I'd stop lurking and say "hello".

Maybe I overdid the postings last weekend thread.

The house seems so empty and quiet. I put my dogs in kennels on Friday afternoon. It tore me up. They don't accept dogs over a weekend so I had to put them in on Friday afternoon. The look on their faces.

Told them "Daddies coming back". I think (I hope) they understood, they've heard that before. I'll be back for them in a week.
B.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:29 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

There's no such thing as overdoing postings in Weekenders. I miss the thread of last year when we would roll it over past 500 posts by Saturday.

Hi, Bruce I don't like leaving animals at the kennel either. Why can't they just go everywhere I go? Oh, because mine are cats. My dog went everywhere. It freaks out the cat to even leave the house.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:39 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

Too true, Bim!

I guess I'm just a bit introverted and rambling on about pool pumps and fixing leaks - I maybe thought about it too much.

Oh, I wish I could take my babies with me. I miss them already and they're only 5 k's down the road. The kennels has an on-site vet and they are spoilt rotten. Two walks a day, I'm sure they secretly love it.
For an extra R20 (about $2 ?) per dog, I can get a photo of each emailed to me every day. Hmm. That's a bit much....
Finished packing my stuff. The more beaten up the bag, the better. Just carry my laptop with me.
Good to hear from you, Bim, thank you!

B.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Safe travels my friend. Pups will be happy to see you when you return.

"How can I miss you if you don't go away?"

Also. Pictures of African exotic animals you may see on your trip?...please and thank you.