Notices

Make it through to Monday Weekender Sept 9th Part 1

Old 09-10-2016, 02:40 AM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Evening, all.

Today has been spent working and catching up with friends. The back is screaming at me, so I'm doing lots of walking around - I resemble a caged tiger, just pacing backwards and forwards through the house. Still, whatever gets you through the night, hey? Plans for this evening are to eat dinner (Mr Floss made dahl - yay!) and head to the safety of a bed with an electric blanket. Spring is here and I could put it away for the year, really, but being flat out with the heat is helpful, so it's here to stay. At least it's a dual control one, so Mr Floss doesn't have to get cooked, too. That's my Saturday staying sober check-in. Today could have been worse; for the fact it's not been, I am grateful.

Hope everyone has something fun planned for today.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:22 AM
  # 242 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Saturday Check In

For the newbies or those struggling. Post a simple hello or IN anything you want to let us know you are safe and staying committed. If you drank then today is your opportunity to recomit. YOU CAN.

Ken
Old 09-10-2016, 04:20 AM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
gym.
Kirk?

glad to hear we are still going strong into Saturday, hang in there Bodhi,
glad you didn't drink at them...

Old 09-10-2016, 04:35 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Dammit gym!
Old 09-10-2016, 04:39 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Good morning! Starting to feel a bit fallish here.

I have a busy day ahead - mountain of laundry, some cleaning, meeting, mowing, and attending an art fair. It's an annual event here - it's always pretty nice. I almost bought a beautiful print last year, but couldn't really afford it. This year I think I'll buy it, if the artist is there again. Even if he's not, I can order it from him on his website. Pretty excited!
Old 09-10-2016, 04:46 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Checking in for Sober Saturday.

Sobriety creates a new normal. When I quit the last time I would lament about my loss of partying on a Friday or a Saturday night when the time came.

Today I reflect on how my thinking pattern has changed into my appreciation for weekend days and all the possibilities. Something I could never do when I was drinking because it consumed everything. Me, my time, and every moment on the weekends. If I wasn't doing it I was thinking about it.

I never imagined myself being happy to go grocery shopping, doing housework, and planning a great dinner and what movie I'd be watching on Saturday night. I even laugh as I type that remembering the old me saying "boooooooooooooooring" in my head. It feels good to know what it's like to truly appreciate tasks in life minus alcohol.

It's life, it's real, and I love it.

Finished watching "Rectify" on Netflix on the spin bicycle. On to "The Returned" next. I refuse to get on the scale but my clothes are telling me that great things are happening! Heading into week 6 of the 2 month plan (which will be continued). Feeling better, lighter, and more focused.

Have a great Sober Saturday everyone!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:10 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Morning.

Raining. Coffee. Complete sentences. Later.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:14 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  
Living the life

Sober Saturday - I like the sound of that LadyBlue!

I'm starting day 5. When I quit for six months maybe 15 years ago the big thing for me was the social aspect of it. All of my socializing was based around alcohol. This time it is a different challenge, as I typically drink at home alone. During the day. My best friend and main drinking buddy went sober two years ago so I am long overdue to do this. That should make it easier for me, right?

I have been dealing with a house flood recovery for the last six weeks that has turned into a remodel. I probably didn't pick the best time to try and quit drinking but is there a good time? My bedrooms are almost done so I finally have my bed back in my bedroom so that makes me feel better. Most of my things are still in my driveway in a storage container but I was able to bring my clothes in yesterday. Nothing happens quickly but bit by bit things are getting done. I am trying not to stress about it as it doesn't change anything except my well-being.

I am totally on board for a Sober Saturday and wish the same for everyone. Got lots of domestic duty stuff to do to keep my busy.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:21 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

Happy Sober Saturday. Looking forward to a run and a productive day.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:30 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Belated welcome to weekenders, Helen. No, ther's never a good time to quit. Your AV is a master at throwing out excuses for why you should wait one more day, one more week, one more month before giving it a go. I kinda think being in the middle of a huge undertaking like a house remodel is a good time to quit. You certainly have a lot of other stuff to focus on, rather than drinking! Plus, think about how much nicer the final result will be. I know any sort of home improvement I ever did while drinking always was a bit sloppier than it could otherwise have been.

Everyone else, good to see you. Welcome to all the other newcomers. I'm glad you are all with us! I echo Ken in saying that everyone should check in this morning. Let's get this thread rocking today!

Cut out of the office yesterday at 12:30 to come home to clean. Kids were at school and my youngest was napping, so it was some quiet time with my wife, cleaning up my 7yo's room in preparation for the party ("disaster" does not begin to describe the state it was in). We often do our best bonding when we're working on a task together. It was a lovely way to spend some time with her, and helped remind me that asking her to marry me almost 20 years ago (!) was one of the best decisions of my life.

Then the kids got home. Quiet time, OVER! I cleaned bathrooms, swept, mopped, vacuumed, dusted, straightened, etc. etc. etc. She baked cakes, cookies, cupcakes, got party favors together, and everything else. With the exception of the kitchen, the house is spic and span. It's nice to have the cleaning out of the way. My job today is to be my wife's gopher. "Yes Ma'am." My reward will be a heaping dish of ice cream and watching the Badger game later tonight (on the DVR).

Peace all. Happy sober Saturday!

(See, I told you I would be able to do complete sentences after coffee. Apparently I can't stop typing now. Hmm. Maybe a little too much coffee. Should probably go put this extra energy to use!)
Old 09-10-2016, 05:33 AM
  # 251 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Okay. It's raining cats and dogs. Gonna put a crimp in the outdoor party games today. Where's the whiner's thread?
Old 09-10-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 252 (permalink)  

It's time for a Sappy Saturday Song.
Old 09-10-2016, 05:46 AM
  # 253 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Oh boy, U, you're going to have quite the challenge if they can't run around outside!!
Old 09-10-2016, 05:50 AM
  # 254 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

LB and Trach... You made me burst out laughing. Loved it.

Heading for a day trip to Ogunquit. Walk the Marginal Way trail and have lunch in Perkins Cove. It's a big gay place so maybe I will have a sighting of my kind for a change. I never get to socialize and going to gay stores and restaurants is a nice break to feel normal.

Wash the shiny black car up before I go. Then off with me.

See you all later.

K
Old 09-10-2016, 05:59 AM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Good morning eveyone!
wow, we had a big wind storm here last night and it felt like my house was going to get blown down. Needless to say I didn't sleep much.
but....I'm up, clear headed and no hangover on this Saturday morning. I plan to can peaches today. chuck roast is in the crockpot
Weasel...your day trip sounds fun -I hope you have a great day.
ok...see you all later.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:05 AM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Good morning, all! So grateful to be up with the sun and so very, very thankful I didn't give in and get drunk yesterday. Lots to do today. My bf's daughter, boyfriend, 12-year old daughter, and 6-month old daughter are coming for dinner tonight. I LOVE me some baby time. We're gonna cook out and maybe have a fire in the firepit if it's not too freakin hot. I'm dying for firepit weather. Need to do some more yard clean up--should be doing it now while it's cool, but I'm here instead. I'm also still wearing my nightgown so I probably need to get dressed. Or maybe I could just go pull some weeds in my nightie? I think not.....

Have a great day everyone! And if you are struggling, POST! I didn't want to do it yesterday but when I did it really helped. I'm still sober today and going on five weeks tomorrow!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:10 AM
  # 257 (permalink)  
Living the life

Wow - I used to have that album! lol Yes I am old lol
Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
It's time for a Sappy Saturday Song.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:11 AM
  # 258 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Gym. Over for today - boxing and weightlifting.

Have a great trip, Ken!

U75 - Whiner's thread is in Cafe Central)) http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...iny-heart.html

Sober Saturday mornings rock! I am up since 5 a.m. and feel great!

Welcome to all the newcomers!

I'd say Sober weekends is even more than new normal - it's the only normal!

Have a great Saturday!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:15 AM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Living the life

Elicia you are so right about baby time! My granddaughter is 8 months old and is the delight of my life. My daughter and her husband are in the process of moving 2 hours away for a new job but I keep telling myself it's not that bad. No we won't be able to just drop in on each other anymore but really it's only a 2 hour drive. I have friends whose children have moved across the country for jobs and they can only see their grandkids once or twice a year. I have many blessings in my life.

Originally Posted by Elicia08 View Post
Good morning, all! So grateful to be up with the sun and so very, very thankful I didn't give in and get drunk yesterday. Lots to do today. My bf's daughter, boyfriend, 12-year old daughter, and 6-month old daughter are coming for dinner tonight. I LOVE me some baby time. We're gonna cook out and maybe have a fire in the firepit if it's not too freakin hot. I'm dying for firepit weather. Need to do some more yard clean up--should be doing it now while it's cool, but I'm here instead. I'm also still wearing my nightgown so I probably need to get dressed. Or maybe I could just go pull some weeds in my nightie? I think not.....

Have a great day everyone! And if you are struggling, POST! I didn't want to do it yesterday but when I did it really helped. I'm still sober today and going on five weeks tomorrow!
Old 09-10-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 260 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Morning y'all!

Got startled awake by thunder....hope you can still go to Six Flags, GS!

I'm babysitting today and tomorrow...luckily my godson is being raised right and has an appreciation for football lol!

Oh Helen....just wanted to say you actually picked the perfect time to quit drinking! Drinking just makes bad situations worse IMO. xo

Ken...have fun perusing today! Wish you lived closer I've got someone I'd love for you to meet!

I've read everyone's posts and would comment and acknowledge each one but my brain doesn't have sufficient caffeine yet! Sounds like everyone's got a busy Saturday ahead....only possible cause we woke up stone cold sober yay!
xo