Notices

Newcomers Weekender Aug 19th - Part 1

Old 08-18-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Originally Posted by cwood3 View Post
I have "fallen off the wagon" before, I hope I never fall off the bus..........
The thing about being on the bus is if you feel like you're falling you must come here first. Lots of hands to help you stay on
Old 08-18-2016, 05:08 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

As everyone is posting their location, I'm updating the world clock on my phone so I have an idea of what time everyone is at!
Old 08-18-2016, 05:24 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by LadyBlue0527 View Post
Same time zone here as Ken (Weasel). I think we live about three miles from each other.
We live only a mile LadyBlue. I can see you on a clear day off my balcony! (That sounded creepy )
Old 08-18-2016, 05:34 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
...holds the key

I'm on board y'all!

Yay weekenders is an oversight lol!

Congrats on shotgun tetra!!

Welcome new bus riders! Xoxo
Old 08-18-2016, 05:35 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Today is my second last day in this office. On Monday I will be at my new desk. My colleagues brought me for a surprise coffee and muffin at the cafe across the street at break time today. Even one of the doctors came - he only had a cappuccino and his phone was ringing constantly - although he didn't hang about too long.

I was very touched by the gesture. I know when I first started here 3 months ago I was very quiet and they were not sure what to make of me. But I think I settled in well. When people have the time to get to know me properly, I think they see that I'm a pretty cool person.

I actually have been quite lucky for most of my life - in that I have met some lovely people. So for that I'm grateful today.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:43 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm in for another sober weekend.
I do love this thread. It's like a home group for me. The weekends were the toughest for me in the beginning and this thread got me through. Newcomers need all the encouragement and support that we can muster up because it's so hard in the beginning.
it's a beautiful day and it will be a good day, too. See you all later.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:03 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thank you. The weekends are hard for me not really because of the social aspect, but because I have kids, they have friends over, and I get kinda bored. Also, the house gets a little more messy, there's a little bit of chaos and it causes anxiety, alcohol helps me tune it all out. Thanks again for the help and support!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:16 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I cleaned like a maniac when I first got sober suzii!! Maybe you could do that to keep busy and kill 2 birds with one stone..

Ken I think a home group is a perfect analogy!!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:32 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I'm in. Thanks Ken for the intro. I remember when I first found weekenders. It was great to read what people who had some sober time were doing. If I felt off, I said something and got support.

I remember when Behan started and we teased him to make a commitment to getting more than 100 posts. He's well beyond that now.

Elle, CLAS, Suzii, welcome. Suz, you can use the mess to your advantage. Like Della, I cleaned a lot in the beginning. Took off the nervous edge.

Work day. It was pouring rain when I walked out the door. I wanted to crawl back into bed.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:33 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I'm on the bus!

Welcome to Elle, CLAS, Suzii, and all those others who are new to SR and/or the weekender thread. I've got the perspective of being a relatively recent addition to the regular posters on this thread. (Day 59 for me today). Weekends were always my worst time--I stayed sober Monday through Thursday for the most part, but then it was binge from Friday afternoon to Sunday night. I needed a weekend-specific home. When I first joined SR, I checked out this thread, but I'll confess that it was a bit intimidating because of the obviously close relationships between the regulars here. Then I saw that a new thread begins every Thursday, and so I jumped on board at the beginning, which is when we usually reflect on the always-great opening posts from Ken (Weasel). That grounded me in the thread, and once I started posting regularly, I couldn't stop.

I'm a comic book and pop culture nerd, and a bit of a cornball. I've got four kids, wife, mortgage, in laws that live VERY close to me, and an old house that's a pain in the butt. Generally my posts in weekenders are about one of those topics, or just basically goofy comments on whatever. I don't talk about my drinking a lot on this thread, but that's not to say that it's not an essential part of why I'm here. The comradery of all of those who are experiencing what I am, or who have experienced it and can offer their wisdom, is the thread that weaves us all together, new posters and old alike.

I think that, given the fact that many people in early recovery have trouble with the loss of the social opportunities that drinking used to afford, the social aspect of this thread is a very important part of it. Instead of going out to the bars, or going to that Saturday booze-fest at a buddy's house, come here and socialize with us. I'm often here on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon, just to shoot the s**t, hang out, whatever. There's always someone around (often from a different time zone or even different hemisphere!). It's a great place to be relaxed and get your mind off the drinking obsession.

So, welcome all newbs to the thread. Don't be afraid to jump in and post about whatever you want, and don't be afraid to "let it all hang out," so to speak. Stick with the weekenders, have some fun, share your thoughts, struggles, triumphs, whatever, and before you know it, it will be Sunday evening and you'll be looking forward to a sober Monday.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:42 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

I too, think it's absolutely fitting that the Weekenders' place in the Newcomers forum is the result of an oversight. That pretty much sums it up right there!

@MLD, I'm a bit ashamed of you right now as a Wisconsinite. Near MINNEAPOLIS? What about Eau Claire?!

Similarly, I refuse to define the central time zone as "Chicago." "Milwaukee" is always the correct answer. "Green Bay" is also an acceptable response, especially when it's Packers game day.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:51 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

@U75 - I know, I know. But I'm actually closer to Minneapolis than I am to Eau Claire, and anyway, what are the odds of anyone knowing where Eau Claire is??

I'm looking forward very much to Packers football, but IT'S TOO SOON!! I want more summer!! A friend and I were talking fantasy football yesterday, and it made me a bit sad. I draft in a little over two weeks already.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:52 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

@ U75 -
I love your new avatar!!!
Old 08-18-2016, 06:54 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Jordy Nelson was finally activated of the PUP list yesterday. That made me breathe a little bit of a sigh of relief.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:57 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
U75
I look young for my age.

Originally Posted by MLD51 View Post
@ U75 -
I love your new avatar!!!
There's a website where you can make any phrase you want:

Atom Smasher's Word Puzzle Generator

The possibilities truly boggle the mind.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:58 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone. I'm new and this will be my first weekend in years that I am going to try and not drink. I do not want to. I want to make it through the weekend and actually go to work on Monday not feeling hungover, ashamed, shaky, sweaty, etc., etc.

I'm planning on making plans with family who are very concerned about me and (luckily) still here to help as long as I'm sober. I also plan on going to an AA meeting or two. Another big goal will be to continue with my getting physically healthy with hydrating, eating well and exercise and rest because I am still feeling the effects physically from last weekend and haven't been sleeping well this week.

Part of the reason I haven't been sleeping well is a great person in my life told me last weekend we can no longer be friends because of my drinking. I feel so guilty because she is a great person. However, I respect she was no longer willing to ride my roller coaster.

Any advice and support would greatly appreciated.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:21 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Welcome Suzii - the advise from others of using cleaning to distract from cravings sounds solid to me.

Welcome Quincy - you have made a lot of plans to get through the weekend sober. That's fantastic - it's important to have a plan. Try not to overdo it though. Sometimes, we can set ourselves unattainable targets and suffer disappointment when we inevitably don't reach them. Keep it simple and plan to succeed. My best wishes to you.

B
Old 08-18-2016, 07:23 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by U75 View Post
There's a website where you can make any phrase you want:

Atom Smasher's Word Puzzle Generator

The possibilities truly boggle the mind.
Hours of fun! And great post earlier.

B
Old 08-18-2016, 07:26 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by U75 View Post
Jordy Nelson was finally activated of the PUP list yesterday. That made me breathe a little bit of a sigh of relief.
Me too. Not sure I'll be drafting him, but it's good to have him back.
Old 08-18-2016, 07:31 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

I want on the bus! I am new and the best thing for me now is to be around and hear successes! Hi, everyone!