Notices

Newcomers Weekender Aug 19th - Part 1

Old 08-17-2016, 11:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Smile Newcomers Weekender Aug 19th - Part 1

Ever wonder why the weekender is allowed to live in the newcomers area and not get moved to one of the other areas geared toward a more social connection? I won't speak for the mods and I am not a moderator in any way on SR other than to say I have the distinct pleasure of kicking us off each week.

I will say that the weekender does have a social aspect to it. For many, a home group of sorts. A casual respite for others who want a break from the normal goings on in the newcomers. A way to highlight that staying sober is about LIVING sober. We try to show that side of things to those just starting out.

I feel the reason this thread lives in this section is the way the thread has come about. Started a few years ago by Mecanix to help me focus on my weekend drinking routine I seemingly was unable to break for many many months. Years. He and the folks that joined in then were all focused on getting each person who jumped in delivered safe and sound and sober Monday morning. Oh how I used to struggle with such emotional pain over each failure I had.

The weekender made it so each week started a fresh. A new chance to stay sober. That's why it is still here in the newcomers. It's about newcomers learning to be stable at some of the toughest times of the week.

We must call attention to where this thread lives. Who this thread focuses on. Why this thread exists.

You all help me every single week. The displays of love, support and kindness abound each week. The humor and topics are wonderfully diverse and captivating at times.

Let's put special focus on the newcomer this week. Let's stay connected to why we are here.

Thank you for letting me be a small part of this wonderful place that without, I am sure I would be lost.

Get on the sober weekender bus and have some fun living sober this weekend.

Welcome to your sober weekend!

Ken
Old 08-17-2016, 11:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thanks for the lovely post Weasel.

Shotgun!
Old 08-17-2016, 11:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Morning Tetra! Congrats on shotgun!

Back to bed for me. Woke up and figured why not post. Gym in a few hours.
Old 08-17-2016, 11:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I was wondering why you seemed to be up very early.
Ah well pay day today has meant getting out of bed this morning is a teeny bit easier for me.

Hope you all have a lovely day x
Old 08-18-2016, 12:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Ever wonder why the weekender is allowed to live in the newcomers area and not get moved to one of the other areas geared toward a more social connection?
weeeelll...I have to be honest - it started as an oversight Ken...

around the time you started the idea I was ill, (for a while as it turned out) and Anna was working doubly hard....

But... it worked out

The Weekender is a thread that lets the old hands mix with the newcomers, and also to share some things about ourselves that are not strictly recovery based. It's a community builder.

Its a keeper

D
Old 08-18-2016, 12:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

HAHA Thanks Dee. I suspected this might prompt you to share why. But I wanted to remind folks and even myself that this does live in an area we need to be aware of. Like you say many times. This could be someones very first experience on SR.

Thanks for the honesty!

K
Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for creating the thread Ken, and I really get they it is where it is! It basically saved my a** on weekend 1!

It's a keeper for me too.

Have a nice one everyone, I get my wife and kids back from holiday on Saturday, happy days!

P
Old 08-18-2016, 12:30 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it might have been meant to be Ken

and yeah thanks for that reminder - you guys have an awesome responsibility
Old 08-18-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

When you say time zones in USA could someone please tell me a city so I can put the clock on my phone so I have some form of clue as to what time it is for you guys? Same with other countries too if you don't mind . May even give me a clue as to when the new thread may start. I'm in the UK. Xx thanks guys xx
Old 08-18-2016, 12:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hellooo... I'm in
Old 08-18-2016, 12:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm on the bus 😊xx
Old 08-18-2016, 12:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Good morning everybody.

My we are up early today K! Enjoy the gym sir.

Congrats on shotgun Tetra.

Thanks for filling us in on why the weekenders remains in the newcomers section Dee. Everyone here tries to make newcomers feel as welcome as possible.

Have a great day y'all.

B
Old 08-18-2016, 01:04 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not joined the weekender class before but think I will give it a go as I don't really have any plans for this weekend and I know it's a vulnerable time for me. Elle
Old 08-18-2016, 01:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elle126 View Post
Not joined the weekender class before but think I will give it a go as I don't really have any plans for this weekend and I know it's a vulnerable time for me. Elle
Welcome to the Weekender Elle. You will find lots of support here. The thread can be fast moving, so just join in or hollar if you need anything.

I first joined this thread all the way back in January 2015. I had just embarked on my sober journey. Like you, weekends were my riskiest times. I found SR after an internet search and perused the forum. The weekender thread jumped out at me. Being of an introverted nature, I took a chance and posted something brief. I was immediately welcomed by our driver, Ken, and others on the thread.

I have been returning every weekend since. It now feels like the regulars on the thread are a virtual family. I relish following the various adventures, success, tribulations, humour, and at times, beautifully inane absurdity of everyone trying their best to live sober lives. I never went to AA nor sought professional help. This thread has helped me immensely and I owe everyone a debt of gratitude.

My best wishes to you for this weekend.

B
Old 08-18-2016, 01:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome intro Ken

Thanks D & SR

Welcome Elle

& big welcome to any other new guests or newcomers x
Old 08-18-2016, 01:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Awesome, thanks Ken.
Old 08-18-2016, 01:54 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hi Elle.
Good to see all the regulars.
Night (9pm Thursday night in New Zealand Petals )
Old 08-18-2016, 02:15 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Petals... You can enter:

Eastern: New York City. Let's say it's 5am
Central: Chicago. That's at 4am
Mountain: Denver. They are at 3am
Pacific: Seattle. They are at 2am.

Portland Maine is too small to come up on your phone or I would have said that for Eastern.

Also you in the UK are 5 hours ahead of me. I start the threads on Thurday 5am Eastern. That's 10am for you!
Old 08-18-2016, 02:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Elle126 View Post
Welcome Elle!

Weekends can be tough for me because of the amount of time we have free. So really time is the issue and not the actual day of the week. I used to like to convince myself I could not stay sober on weekends so I feel less guilty when I drank. Truth is they are no different than any other day ending in a "y". The great part is I don't end my days asking why any more. Like why did I do that.

Try and make some plans. Treat yourself well. Speak up here and share how you are doing.

Ken
Old 08-18-2016, 02:24 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Mr. B... You are a treasure. I remember when you had just a few posts and you came back week after week. I was so happy to see you grow. I remember the trip you took with your lovely wife. I remember you announcing Juniors coming and soon after (soon for me anyway) arrival. I remember your first time out with pub friends and how it all seems so foreign for you.

YOU have done great work for yourself and your family. Thank you for showing that to us.

Ken