St. Patrick's Sober Weekender Thread Part 2

Old 03-19-2016, 08:38 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Goodnight Ven and HaF
Old 03-19-2016, 08:41 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by happyandfree View Post
Jsbodhi. ..I started it and then Grapes of Wrath came in, that I had ordered at the library. So I started reading that. And then Shantaram came in, which I had also ordered. So I'm all jammed up. I think I'll finish Grapes of wrath, then decide between the other two. I bought a fine balance, so no rush. It would be nice if I could stay awake and read.....but I'm going to sleep.
Good night!
I'm so glad you got Shantaram! My favourite book ever! You'll love it.
A fine balance is pretty grim- I say read it last haha!

Sleep well xoxo
Old 03-19-2016, 08:49 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Besides the stellar 'Cheetah III Gentlemen's Club' I was 'dragged' to after giving a Tech Speech at a Trade Show, here's my other fav positive Memory of Atlanta...

- 'Oh Atlanta' ~ Little Feat ~ Live -

Welp, Jen, she's gotten mighty pissed before. 'It's my House, too'. So, the prickly compromise of this Stealth Drinking is that it's the better of All Possible Worlds right now. I really throw it down these Days before naively letting myself get trapped where - unlike here-and-now tonight - I can't get away. Charlie Brown has kicked that Football. It's a bust...

My 'Payback' thus far is to be able to decline small Dinners w/Alcohol. Absolutely hate 'em.
I suppose it's a matter of picking your battles right now isn't it
I think you mentioned before about how people consider drinking to be a 'right'.
I've thought about that since and I think a lot of people feel that way.

I'm sorry you have to deal with that, having alcohol in the house and dealing with stealth drinking has got to be rough.
I'd find it very difficult.
Probably feels a bit like a stuck feeling.

I feel a bit like that when my brother is here sometimes, the atmosphere feels heavy and a bit claustrophobic, yet there's not much you can do or say without some epic **** going down.
Old 03-19-2016, 08:58 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  

To ease out of this Household and into the larger World for discussion, the whole 'Drinking is a right' thang is amazingly pervasive, according to me.

Several times, during my lil ole Recover Journey, I've heard 'Oh, just don't Drink, then' as the naively-presented way I'm supposed to cope with Sobriety in a Drinking Culture. One 'offer' was to attend a 4-some Dinner and the DrunkAzz Gal Host would simply not serve Wine that Night. To reject that 'reasonable'-sounding Offer is to come off as a real Sober Scrooge to Drinkers. They.just.don't.get.it.

That's not Sobriety. That's simply what I know to be some pretty Hard Core Drunks just not drinking for one Evening. There's nothing there Socially to build on.

What got me thinking about - and posting - all this tonight were Insights up-Thread about how being alone [and Sober] was A-OK. Not going out on St. Patty's Day is - gasp - an acceptable way to spend an Evening. Sober is the new Black.

So, as usual, the Thread here earlier got me thinkin'. This strengthens Resolve, and fosters Options.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
To move out of this Household into the larger World for discussion, the whole 'Drinking is a right' thang is amazingly pervasive, according to me.

Several times, during my lil ole Recover Journey, I've heard 'Oh, just don't Drink, then' as the naively-presented way I'm supposed to cope with Sobriety in a Drinking Culture. One 'offer' was to attend a 4-some Dinner and the DrunkAzz Gal Host would simply not serve Wine that Night. To reject that 'reasonable'-sounding Offer is to come off as a real Sober Scrooge to Drinkers. They.just.don't.get.it.

That's not Sobriety. That's simply what I know to be some pretty Hard Core Drunks just not drinking for one Evening. There's nothing there Socially to build on.

What got me thinking about, and posting, all this tonight were Insights up-Thread about how being alone was A-OK. Not going out on St. Patty's Day is - gasp - an acceptable way to spend an Evening.

So, as usual, the Thread here earlier got me thinkin'...
Yeah I get that completely.
A lot of my friends drink and some use drugs.
Some don't.

They're all good about me not drinking, but like you've said- I'm not so sure what's left to build on there.
I've been thinking of severing some ties and heading out into the unknown and making some new types of friends.
There's a big outdoor scene here and I'm thinking it might be time to join in with those folks and let go of some of the others that want to continue that way.

I'm not being elitist and I don't think I'm better, I think I just need to move on a different path.
Plus I have you people to keep me company

I have a couple deep good friendships I'll keep though.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I know that I had to let a few "friends" go because other than getting high together we didn't much in common.
I'm sure some probably think that I think I'm better than them. I know I'm not but ... whatever makes them sleep better.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:13 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

BAM!!!

'I'm not being elitist and I don't think I'm better, I think I just need to move on a different path'.

An Epiphany! It would be mighty funny to hear Mike Tyson say 'Epiphany', eh?

Your Sentence above is Fridge Magnet, or Fortune Cookie Material!

Welp, I got Hired Help showing up early for Manual Labor, so to Bed I go... Nytol.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:15 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I still have a few friends who drink or get high on occasion and are fine with me not. I'm still friends because we have more in common.
Old 03-19-2016, 09:16 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Goodnight Mesa
Old 03-19-2016, 09:20 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
I still have a few friends who drink or get high on occasion and are fine with me not. I'm still friends because we have more in common.
Me too
Old 03-19-2016, 10:08 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Sorry I'm not better company tonight jen.
Old 03-19-2016, 10:24 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Sorry I'm not better company tonight jen.
Oh no worries! I'm just hanging around listening to music and checking out stuff for my trip!
Xo
I have a good house with lots of stuff to keep me busy and happy
Old 03-19-2016, 10:27 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

How long are you going to be down south?
Old 03-19-2016, 10:37 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

How long are you going to be down south?
2 weeks! Wish it was longer, but that'll do

Are you going anywhere this summer?!
Old 03-19-2016, 10:45 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I don't have any plans to ... but who knows.
You have me thinking that I don't have to spend a lot to travel.
Old 03-19-2016, 11:01 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

I hope you do!

I'm going to try and go to sleep, I've started a bad habit of staying up until 3 am the last few nights- gonna try and correct it!

Xo
Old 03-19-2016, 11:03 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Ok, I need to try and get some sleep too.

Goodnight and sweet dreams.
Old 03-20-2016, 01:09 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Morning all!
Old 03-20-2016, 01:38 AM
  # 119 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Morning!
Old 03-20-2016, 02:25 AM
  # 120 (permalink)  

ha hahaha hahaha...
let's see, went to sleep at 9 PM - was beat, very good thing I grabbed the big umbrella... just about every building you go in around here it's like airport security... metro is not bad, ten minute walk from our hotel...
hotel had chocolate chip cookies in the lobby last night -
had lasagna and salad for dinner - I should have brought a whole case of spelligrino...
okay, so I needed to use the internet because I had to figure out why this new camera only takes like ten pictures. The memory card is 8GB - wha...? something must be wrong, it should take more than ten pics...

so I decided to replace the memory card with the spare one I brang wid me... drum roll.............................................. ............................ that's right, there was no memory card in the camera--- she left it at home.... doh!
I ******* swear... if I had to do this all over again...

so I wake up at 2 AM, then wake up at 0430 - when my phone let me know it's hungry... fortunately the hotel had a euro 50Hz charger with adapter that I can use to charge my phone, becaue the one she brought doesn't work with my phone - my bad.

looks like smithsonian all day - rain, and the middle of the mall area is fenced off, looks like a huge construction site - not that pretty at all, quite a mess actually