Notices

What's the Time?

Old 03-23-2016, 03:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Arrow What's the Time?

When was the last time you checked the time? Whether the passing is fast or slow, it can be equally terrifying, too slow and the thoughts of how am I going to pass all of this time? too fast and we begin to have regrets of not doing something sooner, the sense of running out of opportunity can be the worst feeling in the world.

When I was young, time felt like it was infinite, it would never run out, I had all the time int he world, and the thought of getting old was a foreign concept, it was never going to happen, that was reserved to my Grandparents, but not me, I had infinity to live and it was never going to run out.

When I became an adult that all changed, all of a sudden time started to seem limited, the fear of illness, those friends that had already been diagnosed, life didn’t seen so indefinite, there was a boundary, an end date and it was starting to fast approach, especially when the concept of parents didn’t seem so permanent, they were growing older, would they be there forever? It was becoming increasing doubtful!!

When my Dad finally set sail from this life it finally hit home, we won’t live forever, our time in this world is limited, we will not live forever, we will not achieve everything we want unless we start now, start ticking off those aims without delay.

When I was drinking, alcohol took away my sense of time, I was simply coasting through life, before I knew it years had drifted by, what had I achieved? Had I lived up to my potential? Or was I simply on auto pilot and years passed as a consequence?

When I got Sober I finally realised how little time we actually have in this life, and how many years I spent on trying to moderate my drinking, it was a lost cause from the beginning, I was fooling myself, Sobriety was the answer, but I was too stubborn to see the truth, but eventually I did and have never looked back.

Don’t put off till tomorrow When you can do it today, and if Sobriety is what you need in your life, don’t wait another day, the outcome of your drinking will be the same today as it was yesterday, and the day before, draw a final line under alcohol and reclaim your life, all of that time you have yet to live, alcohol will gladly waste that time if you let it but you have the choice.

Time is of the essence my friends!!

PK
Old 03-23-2016, 03:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Excellent
Old 03-23-2016, 03:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
You can have reasons, or you can have results, but you can't have both.

A few minutes ago, and was startled to see it was already 6:30 pm!
Old 03-23-2016, 03:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Thank you. That was time well-spent. It's now 5:47. It took me 2 minutes to read it. Tick-tock-tick-tock...
Old 03-23-2016, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Love this. I'm still youngish and always used that as and excuse, but suddenly 5 years have flown by and I've wasted so much of that time while everyone else (sober friends) seems to have made such great strides....no more time to waste, i think.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thanks, PK!
Old 03-23-2016, 05:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I try to emulate my dogs. They live in the Now. They make the most of each moment. I don't know if they look backward or forward, but they sure know how to live in the Now.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:25 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I loved reading your thoughts, PK. Thank you so much for sharing your feelings.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome!!! Thank you!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:40 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Excellent PK! And the older you get before getting sober the more you realize how little time you have to enjoy that. And it is a joy to be sober. You can't fret the past but I wish I had started this 40 years ago.
Old 03-24-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Do your best

Bump