Notices

St. Patrick's Sober Weekender Thread Part 2

Old 03-19-2016, 01:29 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScrewdUpInDe View Post
Like everything else, it seems, in this thread jen, it makes me hungry.
Me too :/
Old 03-19-2016, 01:30 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Picturing Melina getting to the fruit section of the food tables with the thug life glasses and music playing.
Old 03-19-2016, 01:32 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

That made me laugh when she said thug life too haha
Old 03-19-2016, 01:41 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

the spinach pie recipe is in the "New" Moosewood cookbook-
Old 03-19-2016, 01:42 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

It's also online....spinach ricotta pie...
Old 03-19-2016, 03:37 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Weas, I thought you said "truffles" instead of "truths." I've never had truffles except for the chocolate kind.

I took Melina's suggestion and bought the coconut sour cream cake. It's really good. For five bucks.
Old 03-19-2016, 03:43 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I took 3rd place! lots of competition. I lost to a white chicken chili.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:02 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

I say you were robbed.

There's always next year.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:38 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Well, Marty, white chicken chili could be a tough contend-ah.

What is this coconut sour cream cake my fellow Weekenders speak of? You know, Ruby, if the kids are acting up, I can be there in say, eight hours and we'll escape to Melina's to kill an entire cake.

Glad you enjoyed the link, Ruby. Some interesting twists these days in how the law views what constitutes media. Big change from the ol' Pentagon Papers days and the valor of a free press being reaffirmed. I'd comment more on the verdict in the Hulk Hogan vs. Gawker case, but just thinking about it and I throw up a little in my mouth.

Hope all who are fighting bugs or blues today feel better. I'm a little in the latter boat. As I was getting my hair shampooed, pre-cut, I found myself with a few tears -- just a few -- rolling down my cheeks. My dear, sweet stylist gave me a kleenex and just let me quietly read a crappy magazine during the cut instead of our usual banter and catch-up. (Oh, and I now have something like a modified Hillary Clinton 'do, except I like mine better. Took off a good three inches.)

I actually haven't cried in about 12 years or so. Had some sniffles once a couple years ago ... caught me by surprise while unloading the dishwasher. Was a stoic when Dad died. Don't know why but something in the connection between the emotional part of my brain and my physiology just stopped. Perhaps a subconscious way of protecting myself, but I honestly wish I could just get it all out. I try but fail. I feel so tightly wound inside -- fear, maybe, that after a lot of things, if I started I'd be unable to stop.

That's why today came as a bit of a surprise. Perhaps it's the day-after effect from visiting with Mom yesterday. She says she feels herself going downhill and it's hard to deny her frailty; I'm sad and scared. Perhaps some artifact of the failed romance, though my vision is better with 20-20 hindsight than at the time I think I described myself here as adoring him. It wasn't going to work. And yet ... there was that time of promise, then intimacy. It's hard to lose that.

It would be good to have a good cry. Can't.

Did practice some self-care and arranged to meet a friend for lunch tomorrow.

Without getting all gooey, all this underscores my appreciation for you folks, with whom I can be myself. There are times, to be honest, I don't know what I'd do without you. I am very grateful.
Old 03-19-2016, 04:48 PM
  # 70 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

(((Venecia)))
Old 03-19-2016, 05:35 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  

(((( hug ven))))
It's good to have a good cry xoxo

I've been pretty laryhargic since my flu, just kimda weak- which I hate.
I just got back from a river walk- beautiful weather, birds chirping, buds on trees.
Spreeeeng is coming! Makes me happy!

Anyway, I feel better after my walk.
Really gotta quit smoking though, I hate it
I'm gonna start getting a plan together similair to a quit alcohol quit plan.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:05 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

From Interviews >3 Decades ago, Tears For Fears said this Song was based on Psychology from Maslow. Hence, the Band name. As with plenty of Songs and Lyrics, other meanings have been ascribed.

- 'Shout' ~ Tears For Fears -

- Maslow's Hierarchy Of Needs - SimplePsychology.org -
Old 03-19-2016, 06:21 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

Laying down. Food coma.
Baked chicken, mashed carrots and potatoes, kale and cabbage salad, raw cucumber, snap peas and tomatoes .
Hot water with lemon and ginger.

What to do tonight?! Study? Read? Paint? Probably all three.
I have a secret travel money envelope and I have some extra money that gets to go into into it tonight! I love that.
$150! Sometimes the deposits are only $5.
It all adds up though!
Old 03-19-2016, 06:46 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congratulations mld...3rd place is good.
Venecia. ..I know what you mean about crying. I don't cry either. I did a couple of years ago when someone was really mean to me at a wedding. It was a really bad meltdown. ....I got really drunk, which made my reaction and coping with the incident even worse. I quit drinking soon after that. I guess I haven't had much to cry about lately...I have set up my life so I'm pretty insulated and sheltered in my own little world.
Watched Suffragette this afternoon. Pretty good. Also made 2 loaves of pumpkin bread. ..I hope It freezes ok. I'd like to freeze one loaf. The spinach pie was yummy, too.
No plans for tomorrow. ..I'm going to try to do some spring cleaning in my bedroom. Really turn it inside out.
maybe a pedicure after that.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:49 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Jen ~

Consider Airbnb occasionally for Accomodations while traveling if the fit is there...

- Airbnb -
Old 03-19-2016, 06:53 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

((((Venecia))))

I am so happy to be home. I was around a lot of people all day. I'm not used to that anymore. I like my quiet alone time. I used to hate being alone, and I'd go out drinking just to be around people. I still like being around people, but I'm also not afraid to be alone. I guess that means I don't hate myself anymore. I'm pretty ok company for myself.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Had an interesting experience today. A guy I dated and thought I was in love with a few years ago was at the chili feed. I haven't talked to or seen him in over a year. It's a complicated story, which was more complicated by our concurrent alcoholism. He had gone 16 years sober, but was drinking when I met him. Things ended badly. I reached out to him when I decided I needed to quit, because I knew he had gotten sober again. Anyway - he moved to Baltimore last year (I did not know that until today) because his girlfriend (who he had been with before we dated) moved there for a job. They broke up last August, but he stayed there anyway. He's back because his mother's Heath is failing and he has some legal things with his ex-wife he has to deal with. We talked and caught up. It stirred up a lot if feelings in me. I had been thinking about him A LOT lately and had been contemplating sending him an e-mail. Now I realize I was thinking about him because he was nearby. Weird. Anyway - I'm a bit thrown off. Not sure how to feel. Part of it is anger, because he did some really crappy things. But I feel really bad for him right now too - he seemed so sad and defeated. I'm not going to be hanging out with him or anything. But I feel like we have more to talk about. I don't know.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:03 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Yeah its weird, isn't it? I used to hate being alone. I was terrified of being alone. Now I love it!!
Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Forgot to mention that he and I went to junior high and high school together. I had the most massive crush on him then. When we started dating I had not seen him in 30 some years.
Old 03-19-2016, 07:05 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
Jen ~

Consider Airbnb occasionally for Accomodations while traveling if the fit is there...

- Airbnb -
Nice mesa! I just read about that on that $50 a day USA roadtrip blog I read!