Old 03-19-2016, 09:06 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Jsbodhi

Originally Posted by MesaMan View Post
To move out of this Household into the larger World for discussion, the whole 'Drinking is a right' thang is amazingly pervasive, according to me.

Several times, during my lil ole Recover Journey, I've heard 'Oh, just don't Drink, then' as the naively-presented way I'm supposed to cope with Sobriety in a Drinking Culture. One 'offer' was to attend a 4-some Dinner and the DrunkAzz Gal Host would simply not serve Wine that Night. To reject that 'reasonable'-sounding Offer is to come off as a real Sober Scrooge to Drinkers. They.just.don't.get.it.

That's not Sobriety. That's simply what I know to be some pretty Hard Core Drunks just not drinking for one Evening. There's nothing there Socially to build on.

What got me thinking about, and posting, all this tonight were Insights up-Thread about how being alone was A-OK. Not going out on St. Patty's Day is - gasp - an acceptable way to spend an Evening.

So, as usual, the Thread here earlier got me thinkin'...
Yeah I get that completely.
A lot of my friends drink and some use drugs.
Some don't.

They're all good about me not drinking, but like you've said- I'm not so sure what's left to build on there.
I've been thinking of severing some ties and heading out into the unknown and making some new types of friends.
There's a big outdoor scene here and I'm thinking it might be time to join in with those folks and let go of some of the others that want to continue that way.

I'm not being elitist and I don't think I'm better, I think I just need to move on a different path.
Plus I have you people to keep me company

I have a couple deep good friendships I'll keep though.