Notices

A Family Affair January 15th Weekender

Old 01-16-2016, 01:17 PM
  # 401 (permalink)  

Brynn-

I don't think anything is wrong with you. I think you are really smart!! lol.

If I was single and living by myself I think it would be very hard to give up the freedom of doing what I want and having no one to answer too.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:24 PM
  # 402 (permalink)  

I think single is good! Probably why I like being with a firefighter - he is gone several nights a week
Old 01-16-2016, 01:25 PM
  # 403 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Love the size of the new TV. The 42 inch I moved into the bedroom makes it feel like a freaking theater. Gonna be fun going to bed tonight. (hmmm have not said that in a very long time)
Old 01-16-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 404 (permalink)  

Thank you all!

This weeks topic was truly on display here this weekend. Between the texts, emails, and posts from my SR family I have to say I feel so supported and cared for. That's family.

Old 01-16-2016, 01:54 PM
  # 405 (permalink)  

Well my mother is back - great.

Although to be fair, she has a good sense of humour when she is in a good mood (not that often).
She was saying it is terrible all the men dying of cancer this week, and claiming that they must not have been eating fresh veggies. Apparently she heard David Bowie say that he had no recollection of making some of his videos as he was so high or whatever.
So I said "yeah but what about the guys from the Rolling Stones? They were also doing drugs and whatever and they are still alive right? And one of them has a new wife who is pregnant with twins or something".
So my mom goes "I know the guy you are talking about and he has a face like a ploughed field from all the drugs. And Mick Jagger was too sly, he was only pretending to do drugs but I would say he didn't at all".

"Face like a ploughed field" - I will have to remember that lolz.
Old 01-16-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 406 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
strugglingjim - other than you have no appetite in the morning, what else do I need to know before I recommend a breakfast of champions? Are you 94 with no teeth? Maybe I missed something with all of the liquid diet recommendations... have a cracker.

PBNJ sandwich with your coffee? It's a start.
I'm 53 and have a full set of teeth (not all real but they work). Just no appetite. eating half portions when I do eat. gone from a relatively fit 185lbs to 170 in last two
months (took "breaks" from drinking before thanksgiving and again before xmas/newyears).
Old 01-16-2016, 01:58 PM
  # 407 (permalink)  

anybody have a favorite short meditation video that they like on Youtube?
Old 01-16-2016, 02:05 PM
  # 408 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strugglingJim View Post
I dont but great question. I would like to find one too!

Good to see you here and talking. The early days are tough no doubt. Sleep, sitting on your hands, posting like a madman... all viable and acceptable things to do. But know it does get easier.

Ken
Old 01-16-2016, 02:06 PM
  # 409 (permalink)  

No. Not even related but binging a series on Netflix takes me out of my mind. Not as therapeutic as meditation, way better than drinking
Old 01-16-2016, 02:09 PM
  # 410 (permalink)  

For example, I found myself missing Nurse Jackie, the character, at work yesterday. Like I wanted to check in on her.

I may be completely crazy but I'm also completely sober
Old 01-16-2016, 02:14 PM
  # 411 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

not a meditation video as such but aphorisms with pretty pictures and music :-

Old 01-16-2016, 02:20 PM
  # 412 (permalink)  

Seems I closed my eyes, opened them and 'Walah!' ... 21 pages. Needless to say sorry that I didn't thank anyone for their posts but I've been keeping up to date.

Yesterday I had a guy come to look at my boat, after going over it with a fine tooth comb he snarled at me and told me it was a load of crap , wasn't going to buy it and stormed out. What an idiot and what a waste of time.

More than hating buying a vehicle is selling one.

Just after he walked out a mate rang and said lets go out to dinner. By the time we organised a few others there was 10 of us. Had a great night with me the designated driver again. Up first this warm windy Sunday morning feeling great.

Tetra ... Sorry you didn't get the job.

Soberwolf ... Congrats on 2.5 years
Old 01-16-2016, 02:27 PM
  # 413 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Thanks for posting that mex!

Jim...you're body will begin balancing itself out after being sober a while. The main thing is to stay hydrated. Lots and lots of water to help flush toxins out of your system and restore balance.

Ken...you're going to love having tv in your bedroom!! I know I know....you're not supposed to watch tv in bed it'll mess with sleep patterns...but honestly, It's the only place in the house I watch tv and I love it! Get all comfy in bed with tea and a treat, watching your favorite show...heaven!

Babysitting for a while tonight. It'll be good for me. I've been a hermit since my dad's little incident. Stuff like that makes me not want to face people....even just at the store.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:30 PM
  # 414 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Hi JamesSquire!
Old 01-16-2016, 02:34 PM
  # 415 (permalink)  

Jim, I've seen this one recommended on SR:

I tried it and thought it was good.

Hang in there. I can assure you it gets better.
Old 01-16-2016, 02:45 PM
  # 416 (permalink)  

Heading to lay in bed. I am exhausted tonight.

Hi JamesSquire!

K
Old 01-16-2016, 02:54 PM
  # 417 (permalink)  

Just went through all my smart pants - have 3 pairs that fit again (thank you 15lbs down in weight!) and 3 pairs that fit, but I need to fix the hems. When I was drinking there was no way I would waste time hemming, now I am thinking "hmmm, I can do that as I relax in the evenings, and save all those $$$" where I would never have done that before, and would have ended up depressed, spending $$$ on new pants and being depressed that I could not fit my big bloated butt into them!
Old 01-16-2016, 03:10 PM
  # 418 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Smudging some fresh white sage I got
Is that a euphomism?

Hi James Squire super glad you are here - take it from me Weekenders JS is a top guy

I have half an eye on the auction in Scottsdale. No Lancias but take a look at this Fiat, not all their cars were utilitarian
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20160116_230726.jpg (33.8 KB, 34 views)
Old 01-16-2016, 03:13 PM
  # 419 (permalink)  

I need a hug tonight.
I went into town to meet a friend for a diet coke. After so many years hiding away, now I enjoy being out and about.
We collected my mom and sister from the bus station on the way home. My dad stopped off to but some milk and ran into my uncle (my mom's brother) by chance who insisted we go to his house for a cup of tea.
I'm tired of all the chat about my Grandmothers will. I can feel my eyes glaze over when the talk starts. Then he was talking to my sister about her work in the hospital and the two of them went on a big rant about alcoholics and people on unemployment benefit ie. ME! Yes I am unemployed and I collect what I am entitled to and nothing more.
So my mom said on the way home that I seemed a bit quiet. So I said "you were all giving out about unemployed alcoholics. How could I contribute to that conversation?"
My dad was laughing and my mom said nothing more.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:19 PM
  # 420 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

There are guided mediation apps out there. I have tried a few and they are pretty good.