Notices

A Family Affair January 15th Weekender

Old 01-14-2016, 02:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

A Family Affair January 15th Weekender

It's no surprise I chose this topic this week. I visited my brother after 4 year. I spoke maybe for a few minutes to him during that time. If that. Facebook keeps us politely engaged.

I had a blast. A real honest fun and even joyful time with him, his wife and 4 kids all in their twenties. I also think it was a turning point. A letting go of yet more garbage I had accumulated.

Like many here I could not show for events. I could not plan anything because I could not promise I could stay sober to get there. Planning something at 5pm was a long shot.

SR. The weekender. You are my family as well. We can have a deeper conversation and you know how I feel way more than my brother. But I think I am learning that the depth of the relationships I have don't have to fit some mold I had been stuffing them into.

How does one explain my deep connection to a website and the spectacular individuals I have come to know? ... I know! Family!

*Ring Ring*

Welcome to a big family hug of a sober weekend! Hehe!

Ken

Old 01-14-2016, 02:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Shotgun?
Old 01-14-2016, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know!!!! 13 whole minutes! Congrats Sao!

I posted then went and got coffee and fed the cats and still nothin! Hahaha. Maybe the weekender is old news. A has been. Hahah.

SP is struggling a bit and may need some extra support this weekend. Hugs SP!

Looking to hear from BigS and how his travels have been recently.

I saw someone on the board I have not seen in years and someone who helped me a lot in my early days. Stillsleeping. You may not post here but I wanted to say thank you. It took me years after we first met to stay sober but I am here now. And grateful for your help.

Off to work now. I have lots to do.

I need to make a trip to New York Friday evening into Saturday. Yes. To those who know what's what. But I planned in a safe zone of time that the visit can occur. I will be in and out back to the safety of Maine in no time. Just need to get some things.

K
Old 01-14-2016, 02:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Bloody Hell!

I've lost my shotgun virginity
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20151229_204036.jpg (32.1 KB, 130 views)
Old 01-14-2016, 02:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Great post Ken, SR for me is always a place of understanding, people pull together for each other, plenty of understanding, the sharing of wisdom, and then there's the lighter fun side to the Forum also, a great fountain of support at all times, a place to call home, a place amongst family!!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Lovely post Weasel.
Sao, you are very funny and congratulations

No Weasel, we love the weekend thead and it's a big part of my day. Unfortunately I was up reading so late last night. If I woke up a few minutes earlier I would have made 'shotgun' x
Old 01-14-2016, 02:36 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Sorry Ken, I was overcome - your opening post was a pertinent one, family and friends have often played second fiddle in my life to the great god alcohol. Not worshipping in that church any more

I am (anxiously) awaiting the arrival of a couple of my boss's best customers. I have met them before but this is the first time as the person trying to get an order
Old 01-14-2016, 02:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
Sorry Ken, I was overcome - your opening post was a pertinent one, family and friends have often played second fiddle in my life to the great god alcohol. Not worshipping in that church any more

I am (anxiously) awaiting the arrival of a couple of my boss's best customers. I have met them before but this is the first time as the person trying to get an order
I get it Sao. The first time is breathtaking.

You will be fine. If you have half the charisma in person you have here you can sell ice to Eskimo's!
Old 01-14-2016, 02:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Thank's Ken!
Old 01-14-2016, 03:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post K, pertinent and insightful as always. I relish your philosophical dispatches from Maine - they have become part of my weekly routine.

I too have been thinking a lot about family of late, particularly post Christmas. I have reflected on how different families manage emotions and pain and how we can carry this on as adults. For me, I need to be careful with my anger, which can come flooding out if I don't keep it in check. Anger and drinking were inextricable for me in the past.

Congrats on losing your shotgun virginity Sao. Try not to boast to all your mates. Best of luck with those clients, you'll be great with them, I'm sure.

Greetings to everyone else. I hope you are recovering well SP.

There was a dusting of snow atop the mountains, which made for a pleasant view for my commute to work this morning.

B
Old 01-14-2016, 03:42 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Everything happens for a reason and there is no such thing as coincidence. My daughter shared with me a few days ago that her husband has been relocated and they are moving to the state of Georgia...far away from Vermont. I was crushed because I will so miss seeing my grandchildren all of the time....but I'm so excited for them and the opportunities that they will have. Family causes all kinds of emotions!

It's nice to know that my SR family is always near
Old 01-14-2016, 03:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

I'm in!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Family. I have a very nice and supportive small family close to me here in Wisconsin. I also have a father (biological) in Florida, and one (adopted me when I was 5) in Chicago. This is where my difficulties with family lie. I didn't meet my biological father until I was 28. I have very little contact with him now. My adoptive dad and my mom divorced when I was 9. I used to try to be close to my adoptive dad, even though we have not lived close to each other since the divorce. I have not spoken to him or seen him in over two years now. I can't explain why the contact dropped off. Well there are reasons, but there's really no excuse. Now that it's been so long, I'm finding it extremely difficult to make that first move. It bothers me every day. I'm afraid. He will be angry. He will go on a tirade. He's not a very nice man. I don't know how much to tell him about my sobriety, and what got me here. I know I have to do it, sooner or later. He doesn't even know he has a great-grandchild. I feel guilty and ashamed. He is the one person on earth who can make me feel like a bad little girl. But he's still family, and I do need to talk to him at some point. He's not a healthy man - type 2 diabetes and a whole raft of issues that go with it. He's alone. Every day I tell myself I'm going to call him. And I don't. A huge stressor for me. I need to just get it over with.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:21 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Let's love and forgive our families, no matter how screwed up they may be... Make those calls, let **** go, life is short. Of course remember to protect your healthy boundaries and parent yourself.

I began to truly appreciate my family when I put huge distance between us and had children... "By the time you realize your mother was right, you have a daughter who thinks you're wrong".

Lots of love and peace to everyone...
Old 01-14-2016, 04:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Do your best

Beautiful intro Ken

Congrats Sao

I'm riding the roof with a warm jacket today I reached 30 months sober or 2.5 years
Old 01-14-2016, 04:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Happy 2.5 years, soberwolf!!!

Congrats on the shotgun, saoutchik!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good morning. I'm in. Congrats Sao on shotgun and good luck on meeting with the customers.

Behan, I'm with you and the anger. I need to work on that.

MLD I understand picking up the phone is the hardest thing to do. Maybe send a long letter to soften things first, with pictures, then call.

Thanks Weas for getting us started. Also a lesson in that sometimes we create our own families. We create the support we need. Because I know I can't do this alone.

My family is small. They are supportive. But they don't understand addiction. No one drinks like I did. So in addition to my biological family, I've started building a different, sober family.

Thanks all.
Old 01-14-2016, 04:36 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congratulations Wolfie! Fantastic!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:40 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

When I was about to be released from the hospital after detox, my doctor told me that I would really need to figure out my relationship with my mother if I ever had a chance of staying sober. He was right. A few months after I was out of rehab I had to disengage from her. And that meant disengaging from my whole family.
It was over a year that we did not communicate. We have since mended fences and our relationship is wonderful now. Very different, but good.

There are still some of my extended family that I would rather not deal with, but I can choose to battle or not.

Happy Thursday my Sober Ender Family!!!
Old 01-14-2016, 04:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Good morning. Today starts a long weekend for me!