Notices

Forgive yourself Weekender Thread Aug. 28th until..

Old 08-30-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Old 08-30-2015, 03:47 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Chicken Dansak, Pilau Rice and a Mushroom Bhagee for me earlier (take-away)

Olive, BiminiBlue -I hope everything came through the storm undamaged

Like Ruby says MLD white wine vinegar or alternatively a borax solution are good natural ways of removing mold. Dehumidifier is a good idea in basements
Old 08-30-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Ken for another amazing weekend thread & thanks to all the posters
Old 08-30-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Hey, W'enders,

Another one coming to a close.

"Fear the Walking Dead" is on the agenda for this evening, as well as leftover pizza. I wish I had the culinary skills others demonstrate here.

Marty -- that's a dilemma. So easy for ol' childless here to say this, but I'd not do the reference thing. These things have a way of backfiring. Ruby had some good feedback re: the mold thing. Hope the hike was helpful.

We have a fantastic farmers market in my city; I got a lovely bouquet there this morning. This evening, the fragrance in my home is unbelievable. Eucalyptus and a flower that I cannot name.

Here's a little beauty for all the brave fellow journeyers here.

Old 08-30-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

It's Sunday night. I have to admit I'm feeling a bit flat or something.
For the past 9 months on Sunday night I would be getting organised for work in the morning. Now my job is finished.
I have been back at my parents for the past three nights. My mother is already driving me insane. Don't get me wrong. I know I'm lucky. I'm sober. I have a roof over my head and good food. But I just feel deflated. I was looking forward to going for walks, getting fit and reading my books but I don't feel like doing any of those.
Ugh. I hope this will pass. I'm trying to comfort myself by planning my trip to the States later this year.
Old 08-30-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by biminiblue View Post
Behan, here is one of the local ferries yesterday during our storm. Yikes. Great pic though, from our local news.

hm. It won't let me imbed it for some reason. I guess hyperlink is the only way. Weird.

http://media.komonews.com/images/660...y_spray_03.jpg
Scary pic bimini!!!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  

Lovely flowers, Venecia! Those eucalyptus are certainly pretty, there are lots of those trees down in these parts, Aussie trees grow well in this climate.

Have come down with a bit of a cold or something this weekend. Overstressed in a few areas, mainly personal. I don't really want to re-live the past week, but I had a big argument with my mechanic about my car (a month and still not fixed) and my weed-smoking neighbors have been having parties like crazy lately.

We have a shared "common garden" for 12 apartments in this gated complex, and they have completely taken the common area over for their parties 2x per week. Weed, alcohol, and loud partying. They are also growing marijuana on their porch. They have not taken out their garbage and leave it on the front stoop, and also have a huge paper wasps-nest right next to their bedroom window. They cannot be bothered to take care of anything. Many of us have been there, we know the drill. This kind of thing doesn't normally improve on it's own. There is a night watchman who I know has seen them but he is a very small, meek little guy and he won't confront them. So...what to do?

I am meeting with the manager of the gated community tomorrow to pay my rent. We have a few other empty houses in the complex that are not next door to the druggies. Same layout, maybe even a better view. I've been thinking of asking her if I can switch apartments. Of course, that won't stop the parties, they will just be 100 yards further away. But it will be a buffer. It kind of sucks that all of us in this beautiful complex who are here to lead peaceful lives now have to deal with 40-year olds who are partying like college kids and ruining the place. Should I discuss their behavior with management? They'll likely know it was me if they get slapped on the hand. I don't hate them personally, I just dislike their lifestyle. This community is not the type of place to have people coming in to sell and smoke weed and yell loudly - but since their behavior has never been checked they are getting bolder, louder, and messier. The garbage, wasp's nests, etc are just symptoms of a bigger problem.

Any advice from the wise crowd?
Old 08-30-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  

I'm trying to make a plan for tomorrow.
Get up, eat a healthy breakfast, go for a walk, change my sheets (I think a fresh bed is one of life's great pleasures!), look at job sites, sort out some books and clothes to take to the charity shop, try and help my folks around the house... um I don't know what else...
And keep my chin up!
Old 08-30-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

BigS, If you start the conversation with "I'd like to move because the neighbors are a bother", the landlord will take it up...or not. That will tell you how to proceed.

Tetra! Days off! Look for that perfect job.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Tetra - that sounds like a good plan. Keep busy if you can.

Just returned from my fantasy football draft. I've been in the same league for 15 years. I usually do pretty well. Have won the whole thing twice and been close several other times. Ye s - girls can be good at it too! We have two conferences of 12 teams each - there is one other woman, in the other conference. One of the times I won it was me against her in the final game. Lots of good friends there. It was fun. Found out one of the guys attended the same treatment program I did. We had a nice chat about how great sobriety is.

Hard to believe September is upon us. My first sober summer and it has been great.

Still haven't decided what to do about the daughter. Haven't had a chance to speak to her in person. I do use vinegar and borax for most cleaning chores. A great thing for showers and other surfaces is a mix of vinegar and dawn dishwashing liquid. About 4 parts vinegar to one part dawn. It's brilliant in the shower. No scrubbing needed. Spray it on, wait 15-20 minutes, wipe off. And I do run a dehumidifier in the basement. It's been fine until this year - but they keep the door to the room in question closed all the time, so perhaps another one in that room. Dunno. Think she will move anyway. I'd feel the same - who wants to live with her mother at 24?
Old 08-30-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

okay... A weird day here food wise... got a late start, oatmeal with raspberiies..
then a cow burger on the grill with all the fixins and an ear of corn - why are they called ears?
Dinner was turkey hill banana split ice cream with raspberries and blueberries --.
let's see. I finally started posting items on craigslist... It's actually like work doing this. Weasel- uh,,Wild world of Kingdom? Yes, I remember the sundays but you are confusing "Wild
World Of Sports" with "Wild Kingdom" Mutual of Omha's wild kingdom...

Midnight Blue! It's good to see you. You are not a failure if you are posting.

BigS - I was thinking the same thing as Trach. Just tell the landlord you need to move because of the neighbors. And if they don't want to relocate you within the compound, tell them you'll start searching outside the compound.
Yeah, it sucks because you don't want to be a squealer. But then you also don't need that nonsense. One of the things I had to learn since I got sober was how to stand up for myself. And also be able to be honest regardless of the fall out from it. My guess is that these people cannot be reasoned with. But it doesn't hurt to try. However, no-one can really offer advice on dealing with people without knowing them. Tell landlord to find you a "better" location or you'll find one yourself...
Old 08-30-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Maybe if you mentioned the trash and the wasps nest they could make it more a maintenance issue? A little less personal that way.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

and an ear of corn - why are they called ears?
Why Are They Called "Ears" of Corn? | Wonderopolis
Old 08-30-2015, 05:36 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Yes Marty...girls can do good! The first year I played I won our league. My strategy....leave rosters alone unless there was an injury. Good luck this season!

Got my resume updated. Feels good to,get that off my list.
Mac and cheese and tomatoes for dinner. Life is good.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:44 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

Did somebody mention oatmeal? I've always LOATHED oatmeal in a jealous sort of way, knowing that it's a oh-so-great-for-you but I couldn't get it down my throat without gagging. Well, this morning I managed to! But I disguised it with plenty nuts and dried fruits. There. That's my exhausted contribution to the thread.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

melki, that's what oatmeal is good for! Spreading out the good stuff!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

The fried spaghetti sounds delish...but I'll have to try it another time since I are it already.
I'd move BigS...I need peace and quiet in my home. It's an advantage of renting. You can move. But I would let the landlord know why.
Wayne Dyer died last night....I didn't realize that he had leukemia.
Old 08-30-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  

while going through a box of stuff I came across my kindergarten photo - you can see the mischief behind those little eyes... I made it my avatar so I could pull it down... didn't want to post a permanent photo of little brainy in thr forum... handsome then too!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I have been trying the old sobriety trick of "not my monkeys", to stop worrying about it, but since the parties, garbage, etc have moved into my front yard and a marijuana plant is out my back window, these have become my monkeys. Thanks for the advice again - tomorrow I will ask the landlord if possibly I can switch houses. When she asks why, I will tell her about the issues. However, I am pretty sure that as long as these neighbors live here, they will be a problem - and kicking them out is certainly "not my monkeys". I can only do what's best for myself. That means trying to get another house in the complex for a few months, and start looking at other locations if needed. I appreciate you all letting me whine! Thank God I am not drinking these days, the old bigsombrero was even worse to live with - and I could not get away from him no matter how much I tried!
Old 08-30-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Brynn - that's my strategy too. Lady year I made the playoff without making a single drop/add. I didn't need to, but that was lucky. Usually a minor amount of tinkering is necessary at some point.