Notices

Stay Sober This Weekend Aug21st until

Old 08-24-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 361 (permalink)  

Holds and bratforlife, good job getting through the weekend. It's hard in the beginning. There's times I've stood with the bottle in hand, fighting the inner, quiet war over yes, or no. But you made it.

I've been running errands. I'm home. Maybe I should be productive. My dad's been having this test and that scan at the hospital to rule things out. He's on a clear liquid diet in preparation of any surgery. They're being thorough and cautious. All good things.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:08 PM
  # 362 (permalink)  

Way to go brat and holds...good job!
Thoughts and prayers for your Dad, Ruby. And hugs to you.
Good Monday going on here. Nothing spectacular but calm and steady work. Wow, I just realized that labor day weekend is weekend after next.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 363 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Always dredging up more newbies as we go. That's a feature, not a bug.
Old 08-24-2015, 02:42 PM
  # 364 (permalink)  

Just popped a pork tenderloin into the oven for dinner. The day is slipping away quickly and it's back to work tomorrow. Rats.

Trying to assert myself with kids to get some cleaning done but since I'm not so enthusiastic about it, it's not happening. I may take a spin up to the hospital to see my dad after dinner.
Old 08-24-2015, 03:16 PM
  # 365 (permalink)  

Sending positive vibes for your dad Ruby!
Old 08-24-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 366 (permalink)  

hope all is well with Ruby Daddy.

great to hear from the new weekenders - all done good!

I took this uihaul trailer for a test run - I know mesman, load the tongue...
as the loading progressed I found myself with some heavier stuff behind the axle - cumulative weight... got it up to 60-65 for a 1/4 miles with no adverse affects noticed... we'll see what happens on major highway cruising 70 mph _

maybe have to keep it slower with a jeep...
Discovered water damage by the front entrance way where it meets garage - serious work needed there... next time... garage is cleaned up about as good as it's been since she first moved in...
critter guy came and said they were messin with the big trap on the roof... baited hanging trap with marshmallows and peanut butter. Add two slices of white bead and it becomes a critter fluffernutter with the 90 plus degrees in the sun... you can makes smores here without a campfire!

A little more gathering to do and put rest of 'more' stuff in jeep and hit the road when I wake up. MrsLB told me to take my time. She misses me but she would rather me be late than crash this rig. And I spent 10 minutes cleaning windshield inside and out - I can't wait to get on the road again!

Old 08-24-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 367 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Yea, you be careful.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 368 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Take it easy, Brain. Don't need your brain all oner the freeway. Need you here, and your wife needs you back in one piece.
Old 08-24-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 369 (permalink)  

Sending good vibes, for your dad, Ruby.

Experiment for dinner. Had leftover ribeye, so I'm making "hot pockets" crescent dough and provolone cheese. We will see.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 370 (permalink)  

Your hot pockets sound great, mld.
I just ate all the ice cream until it was gone.....I think I'm just an addict. Plain and simple. I think I shouldn't have ice cream, potato chips, and any other goodies in the house. Moderation is not in my vocabulary...and I need to lose some weight. I'll just have fruit and vegetables ready for dessert and snacking. I've got to get a grip!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 371 (permalink)  

Hot pockets were very good. Repeatable. Even picky kid ate them. That's amazing. Anything with the word "leftover" in it is usually disdained. But I guess the steak was repurposed enough.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 372 (permalink)  

Now for ice cream.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 373 (permalink)  

Senor Cerebrum ~

When a Trailer is loaded 'too close' to the balance point, it will wander above speed 'x'. I simply slow down, and tap my Brakes. Wandering stops. Until it starts again. It's a Harmonic Oscillation. Wiley E. Coyote Physics, and all that. Short Wheel Bases make it more likely. Like a Jeep, for example.-) I've stopped and re-packed my Utility Trailer, and/or thrown my Tool Boxes up front to ensure more Tongue weight. Sounds as if you'll be fine; given the outcome of your wise Test Drive. For the final trip over to here a few months ago, I stopped at Home Despot and bought 2 solid Concrete Blocks to plop at the front of my loaded Utility Trailer Bed. Unexpected problem of 'wandering' thus solved for ~$5- via this added weight. I know this is all Old News to you, but I thought a refresher might generate a few insights in case of trouble Road-side.

Me and my Camping Buddy seen below made it back this afternoon just fine. Heavy RV Trailer Towing is a whole new Gig, but I'm getting the hang of it. Been to this proverbial Rodeo before - back when in a Band - and towing all the Band Gear in a large Cargo Trailer we mod'ded.

Here's the Ghost Town/Mill I trucked up to a few days ago...

- Pie Plant Colorado Ghost Town/Mill -

Old 08-24-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 374 (permalink)  

Off the wall question - do you ever feel angry or sad that you can't be a "normal" drinker and just enjoy a couple and then stop? Like it's not fair? I just had that feeling while looking at facebook and seeing people I know smiling and having fun at wineries, bars, and parties, holding glasses of wine or beer. I know these people can go out and have a couple and then go home. Most of them, anyway. I just sometimes feel cheated or something. It passes, and I don't dwell on it, but does anyone else get that feeling sometimes?
Old 08-24-2015, 08:34 PM
  # 375 (permalink)  

MLD, I get that feeling. Less so now than when I first got sober but once in a while. Kicking my heels in a temper tantrum. Why does that person get to drink and I can't? It's not fair. But then I realize I've probably had more alcohol to drink in a single month than those other people have consumed in a year.

Just finished ice cream. My dad is having more tests. I think he'll be there for a bit. I'll try to visit tomorrow.

Brain, have a good trip back. Mrs B is right. Better late and safe.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:43 PM
  # 376 (permalink)  

Exactly, Ruby. Those people you see having a glass of wine now and then couldn't care less about alcohol. I used to think, if I could only drink once per month or have one drink now and then. But I can't. And it did seem unfair, mld. It is unfair that we have this affliction. ..but I now know damn well, I don't even want one or two drinks. I would want to get loaded if I started with one. That's the difference. ..non alcoholic drinkers don't care. It always amazed me how people could drink half a glass of wine. Etc, etc...
Old 08-24-2015, 09:00 PM
  # 377 (permalink)  

Half a glass of wine? That's crazy! Or leaving a glass, unfinished, on the table. I'd be sucking the dregs from the glass and anxiously waiting for the next glass to get to the table
Old 08-24-2015, 10:44 PM
  # 378 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Good Tuesday morning everyone,

Recycling day today, much clearer skies today but it is cold for August, possibly single figures (Celsius)

I can't help but be envious of normal drinkers sometimes because so much of our social lives involve the stuff. Best not to dwell on it too much.

Best wishes to your dad Ruby
Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 379 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

i don't look at normal drinkers and envy them , i know even small amounts of alcohol effects me . I really do work hard on not wanting to drink .

It's gone off grape juice only a few weeks away from turning to vinegar , rotten grape juice would be an accurate description .

I miss the camaraderie a bit, as certain relationships became cool after i gave up.

This is my fight against a deadly illness though and i let nothing drag me down , if a few friends or family who still binge drink can't deal with me changing or growing then that reflects their own "stuckness" and is their issue , not mine .

Stay Strong MLD
Old 08-24-2015, 11:04 PM
  # 380 (permalink)  

Weird you brought that up, MLD.

I got walloped by the AV tonight telling me I could have a beer. And then more and more got added to what I was thinking of drinking. I was romanticizing drinking hard core.

I negotiated my mind down to two beers and a double scotch. And then I tried to remember with sufficient force some of my past shenanigans that have involved punching people, promiscuity, missing work, reeking and throwing up at work, seizures and hating any thought of adult responsibility regarding anything. All that stuff started on evenings where I thought I would be satiated by a couple beers and a little scotch to kick it in.

I focused on how gross my mouth would taste after the alcohol. On how tmro I have big girl things to do, things I've been very proud of for handling sober. Just regular life stuff, but stuff I could not do as a drinker.

I started thinking of HALT and decided to have a huge piece of raspberry Danish. It immediately helped and now I'm fine.

But it was scary how I was making deals with myself regarding how much I could drink and not go off the deep end.

Stupid effing AV. I find it fitting I slid sober just now into Day 86... Cuz I 86'd the AV.

Cunning, baffling and powerful fo sho.

Hang in there, MLD!