Notices

How to use support? Weekender thread! Feb 27- March 1

Old 03-01-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 181 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Watched Birdman last night. Alternated between moments of awe and moments of head scratching. Strange movie, but entertaining.

I have some odd jobs to do around the house today. Nothing spectacular, just regular upkeep items.

Looks like congress came to some kind of one week extension that will keep me getting paid to work this coming week. Supposedly they will use this week to work out a longer term solution. Any hope that our politicians will have that figured out on Monday or Tuesday? Seems unlikely, but hey - anything can happen!

Glad to see so many are keeping it sober this weekend. Way to go!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 182 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Wow behan 100 posts !
I always look and notice how many posts someone has .. if the have 4 in the last two years i sometime feel they could up their support . Like most things in recovery you gotta invest in it to see the results, Although having said that i'm sure some get a lot out of just reading along .. 100 posts says to me your doing good

Had a day of x-box yesterday , tropico 5 i'm rubbish at games but as it's just me i don't have to worry .
might go out later today mex-m8 wanted to go out .. I'm back on the coffee so I'm just waking up ..

catch you all later , m
Old 03-01-2015, 03:29 AM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Right click, open in new window.

Old 03-01-2015, 04:18 AM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Guess I'll putter with work stuff today. I took a few days off exercise; so I need to get back to that too. The best pop concerts are the un-programmed ones that's for sure. Okay, stay busy or go insane!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:55 AM
  # 185 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

How is everyone doing? Any first weekenders out there want to check in?

Finally no snow for me today!!! Yeah!!
Old 03-01-2015, 07:26 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Thanks Mex!

Glad snow has finally stopped Ken.

I can't work out what the weather is doing or what type of day it's trying to be here. Just got some groceries in. It's still a novel experience not to pick up beer and wine.

Planning on cooking up a big vegetarian roast later, followed by a movie. I'm in the mood for a horror!!!

Hope everyone is keeping well today! Active or taking her handy - it does not matter as long as we stay sober.

B
Old 03-01-2015, 07:59 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Congratulations on 100 days Strategery!

England got mauled by Sri Lanka at cricket last night

We are currently being beaten by Iteland at Rugby
vv
Old 03-01-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 188 (permalink)  

woke up to getting my assignment for the day. before I had coffee I had a presentation/report put in my hands for proof read/corrections and putting together a poster and visual handouts - due today, always last minute...

I started questioning my researcher pal and in the first paragraph totally shot down the rationale for the report. can't use one year of CDC data as a rationale when ten year averages fluctuate greatly. And, as an example, you can't say something is the second leading cause of something when there are only two choices. That was my extreme analogy to the 'student' to explain why something has to be reworded.

I already shot down parts of visual aids. Remember boys and girls, if you are going to splain something as a comparison, you can't present one in graphic form and not the other. Consistency is key when making a presentation.

Looks like my brunch at the country club will have to be canceled.

In other news, I sat between people slugging beer throughout the entire concert and the smell of burning leaves. I sipped on my bottle of water and enjoyed the music. I actually told people to shut up a couple times as they were talking - yelling - to each other during the entire concert. Stay home next time if you just want to sit there and catch up. Yeah, I actually yelled and told people to be quiet at a "rock" concert. jeeeeeze.
Went to a bar after the show. Experienced my friends getting wasted (again) and turned into chaperone and told them their night was over. Finish your drink it's time to get you home. During that part of the evening is when I am most thankful for not drinking. Seeing the transformation in people until they become almost entirely stupid beings.
Looks like cheerios w/ strawberries and some coffee for now. I smell bacon in my future though. It has been snowing for almost an hour - that fine stuff. Expecting up to 5" today. Means I will be limo driver tonight for my student wife.
JEEP WRANGLERS RULE!
Old 03-01-2015, 08:13 AM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
can't use one year of CDC data as a rationale when ten year averages fluctuate greatly. And, as an example, you can't say something is the second leading cause of something when there are only two choices. That was my extreme analogy to the 'student' to explain why something has to be reworded.

I already shot down parts of visual aids. Remember boys and girls, if you are going to splain something as a comparison, you can't present one in graphic form and not the other. Consistency is key when making a presentation.
It depends...is the point of the presentation to inform or to influence?

Supposed to rain here in a little bit. Hoping it takes the rest of the snow and ice away for the season. I am ready for some warmer weather.

Daughter (20) and boyfriend broke up last night. She is off and on weepy about it this morning. Leaves me speechless. What is a Dad to do in these situations?
Old 03-01-2015, 08:17 AM
  # 190 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say, isn't it lovely to spend $50 at the grocery instead of $75? I mean, I used to do that every couple of DAYS.

I live alone. I don't have a job. WT_?

Non...there's nothing you can do. Ice Cream is my only recommendation. Maybe a drive to the beach or somewhere. Let her vent, say, "I'm so sorry, honey."
Old 03-01-2015, 09:28 AM
  # 191 (permalink)  

that's right, a bowl of cheerios with strawberries with a side of 1/2 lb of bacon. Living large...

Thanks non, but when making a comparison in the development methods for a vaccine, one can't just say because I told you so...

Sorry for your daughter. She is still too young to understand that these things will happen throughout life and will heal with time. Especially if "love" is relatively new to her. The best you can do is comfort her and tell her 'this too shall pass'.

If my wife decided to leave me tomorrow, I would just think, I guess it was meant to be and move on. And then I would buy myself that camper I've been wanting
Old 03-01-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders,

Been taking things easy today, watched England get beat in the Cricket again, and Ireland won in the Rugby.

It's Indian cuisine night in PKs house again, Rogan Josh is on the menu, marinade is all made from scratch and in the fridge as we speak for later!!

Pot of green tea beside me here as I check out the SR threads, all is good on my Sunday afternoon!!

Let's keep it Sober!!
Old 03-01-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Yeah nons... breakups suck no matter the age.

Home for the day... NO FREAKIN snow... I did report that earlier but nice to call that out again. NO FREAKING snow today!

Cooking a nice pasta and sausage meal. Watching movies today!!!

Still love being sober at drunk time. This would be when I got home from the bar and slept it off in wait for the next round at 5. Ahhhhh... such relief to my life.

K
Old 03-01-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Checking in this morning.

Thanks for all the congratulations. You guys are awesome and have been an amazing source of support! Thank you!!

I learned that things are going to be changing in the next several months to where my mind is just racing. While details have not been worked out entirely, I am really excited. What I've been wanting for the past 7 years looks like it may becoming reality.

Non-I would just be there for your daughter. Sometimes just being there and not saying much can be very helpful, esp when it comes to a breakup. Just be there and listen, and offer her hugs.

Lbrain-I hope you're able to get things to work well. The concert sounded interesting. I went to a concert this summer and most of the people there were obsessed more with taking selfies, talking to each other and drinking than actually enjoying the concert. I sometimes wondered why they bothered going, although I've seen the same thing at NFL games.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:44 AM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by strategery View Post
I learned that things are going to be changing in the next several months to where my mind is just racing. While details have not been worked out entirely, I am really excited. What I've been wanting for the past 7 years looks like it may becoming reality.
Old 03-01-2015, 10:08 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

Bimini, David Tennant and Dr. Who marathon on BBC America today. Just saying.

I'm waiting outside my parents house with kids. They went to church with my niece and nephew. Don't know what time they will be here. Went to my 8 a.m. AA meeting, sans Mr. Ruby. I am going to drag kids away and get lunch.

Time to roll. We have the snow Weasel doesn't have. Tired of this.
Old 03-01-2015, 12:46 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

The board is moving quick today. Lots of folks in need.

Just wanted to give the thread a bump. Was on the second page.

Slow lazy sunday here. Watching a movie called Captive on Amazon. Not bad. Creepy.

k
Old 03-01-2015, 12:49 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

I have been in bed with the flu all weekend but at least for once it wasn't self induced!
Old 03-01-2015, 01:05 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday Enders!

Kind of planting seeds, kind of cleaning, kind of eating ice cream, kind of watching Doctor Who.
It is kind of a great day.

Read this quote earlier this weekend and thought it sounded fantastically appropriate for this crowd:

"...taking a step backward after taking a step forward is not a disaster,
it's more like a cha-cha!"

Hope everyone is doing well!
Old 03-01-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Della hope you get well soon! The flu and other such maladies go away much quicker for those of us on the sober bus!

LB - glad you enjoyed the concert, or at least the music portion of the concert. I still don't think I could handle going to a bar with my buddies after an event like that, sounds like you're rock solid in that regard and doing well.

Enjoyed my day/night on the Pacific. I saw many drunk folks this weekend also - one guy was so drunk on the beach that he was completely passed out in the sand....face first. I finally went up to him, shook him awake and gave him a bottle of water. The guy was completely "out of it" and of course, like most drunks, he was quickly stumbling to his feet and looking for the next drink. Also, like most drunks, his friends had eventually ditched him, and since he was alone he seemed to think I wanted to be his new buddy. Ack - no thanks. What a mess he was.

Met some friendly travelers, enjoyed lunch and dinner at a couple usual haunts in town as well. Drove home today and did a weird thing...picked up some hitch hikers! A couple of young women with backpacks were frantically waving me down in a small town down near the El Salvador border. One of them was from Sweden, the other from France. Gee, I s'pose I could help Seriously though, I figured they probably wouldn't kidnap or kill me, so I stopped and gave them a ride to the bus stop in the area's hub town of Iztapa. They were backpacking through Central America, something I've done before, and it was nice to "pay it forward" and help out some kindred spirits.

Back home, my home is clean and I will make dinner shortly. Another sober weekend in the books! My mom is visiting me next weekend but I'll certainly check in once again. Great to see everyone here as always. Hasta proxima vez.