Notices

Snow Patrol Stay Sober Thread!!!

Old 01-26-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Oh thanks. I am jointing this party. Appreciate it.

Mad rushes everywhere today. It is crazy that you started this thread Weasel. Remembered today how red wine used to be plentiful during storms such as this.

Lotsa snow coming to my neck of the woods.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:31 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

When weather causes a halt to normal commerce, businesses close. Bonus days off. For most folks, it's reason to party.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:52 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Awesome idea to start this thread!

Bad weather can definitely be a trigger. God knows, I used to stock up for storms, taking part in the mad rush along with the normies. Of course, for me, there was nothing to distinguish that from good weather, average weather, cold weather, warm weather ...

Stay strong, fellow SRers. And for those in the storm's way, stay safe and warm at home.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:02 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

I hope you are all bundled up and warm and dry. Bonus day off work but hard to get anywhere.

Roads getting slick here where they haven't been salted. Made it to and from the doctor's office. Kids acted like little hooligans in her office. It was embarrassing. My check engine light went on in my newer to me car on the way out there, adding to the stress. It's only got 16,000 miles on it. It hasn't been doing anything out of the usual. It's been a series of craptastic events since I left work but I'm glad car still running, I have my job and I'm not eating spam.

Spam spam spam spam spam spam spam...sung while wearing vikings helmets. That's Monty Python for you all young'uns.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

I'm just seeing this thread now - thank you K, you are a treasure.

Here in the Catskills of New York we are expecting a possible 2 feet. When making up a list of necessities it briefly flickered across my mind that we'd need a good supply of alcohol since we might not get out for a couple days. I've been sober 7 years - and not even considering a drink - just shows how ingrained those old habits are. So glad to be free!

Everyone take care of your precious selves. We couldn't do without you.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:19 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Aussie with questions

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
whats...'snow'?

Stay safe everyone

D
Yep, like Dee said. I'm curious...

1. When does a storm become a blizzard?
2. Does a blizzard have thunder and lightning or is it snow and wind only?
3. How much snow -- as in depth -- do you get in a blizzard?
4. What happens if the power goes out? How do you stay warm?
5. I know you can have "snow days", blizzards would mean a "snow day" but can you have a snow day without having a blizzard?
6. Is a blizzard like a cyclone or hurricane? Does it have an "eye"?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:20 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Would someone take a picture of a "salted" road if possible?
Old 01-26-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Great thread. I miss a good snow storm. ..but I would get so excited about it that I would get smashed. ..and then I couldn't really enjoy the beauty of the storm. Ah...those were the days. Be safe, everyone who is up there in the storm.
Old 01-26-2015, 07:34 PM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Gotta cover these germane Topix as they arise...

'Spam' By The Pythons

'Don't Eat The Yellow Snow' ~ Frank Zappa

-----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Norway Snow.jpg (78.7 KB, 77 views)
Old 01-26-2015, 07:39 PM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I live in the part of the US that seceded from the union a while back, and we are supposed to get a touch of this storm. Freezing rain tonight. We are already on a 2-hour delay for work tomorrow. Hoping for a whole day off!
Old 01-26-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by 2Wheelterror View Post
Dice up the spam add mushrooms green peppers onions. Put it all in a pan heat until peppers and onions are cooked. Add salsa 3 eggs beaten to pan. Cook until eggs are set add shredded cheese. Fold over into an omlete and enjoy.
Spam, spam, spam - spamity spam!!

Old 01-26-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hey guys, I think I've been infected with this winter storm mood sitting here under the sky by palm trees in Florida!

So what it reminded me of is an older movie: Storm of the Century, based on a Stephen King novel.

I watched this movie about 7 years ago, before I even moved to NY, in a cold winter day... while totally immersed in the craziest period of my life ever.
Oh jeez... not I've given myself a bunch of cravings, not just for alcohol...

But I recommend it to those who like Stephen King, or just scary movies. It has an interesting story and the main character is really good, I think. Perfect for a snowed in evening or day in the warm room I think.

(Now I need to do something about my cravings, seriously... like out of the blue, just this memory. I have not felt this way for months now. So classic cue, this really works! )
Old 01-26-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
I'm here for moral support, too. It's going to be pretty much a non-event here.
I'm near you soberleigh in nj. I can't figure out what we are getting 4-8,8-12!
Watch it be nothing:;
One thing for sure, the snow definitely brings thoughts of drinking wine. I mentioned it a few times sort of in jest to my husband and he said "no way! You have done 26 days and you are moving ahead with no wine.
It worked..I'm in bed on SR.
Everyone stay warm and don't pull a muscle shoveling if you really get snow.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Marcher,

Here are definitions of severe winter weather:

Watch, Warning, and Advisory Definitions for NWS Twin Cities/Chanhassen, MN

I cannot answer your questions specifically, but the link above should address most of them.

Yes, there is such a thing as thundersnow. It's pretty rare and I only recall it a few times. It's interesting.

I live in the upper Midwest. There have not been as many blizzards here now as there were when I was growing up. We don't get as much snow as we used to.

Climate change has brought more extremes in weather. Longer, colder periods of weather, for instance, have led to worsening floods in spring because the frost runs more deeply in the soil, preventing it from absorbing water. This is actually exacerbated by less snow because snow actually functions as a blanket over the soil.

(Conversely, warmer climate has meant the nighttime temperatures have risen. This, in turn, has led to more extreme weather in the summer, including more tornadoes.)

"Snow days" is a rather loose term. I grew up in a rural area, where a lot of kids grew up on farms in a very hilly area. Conditions creating ice can be even worse and would often lead to school cancellation because the buses couldn't get up the hills. We used to sit around the radio in the morning waiting to hear if our school would be cancelled. Now kids sit around waiting for internet updates.

For the last few years, we've been likelier to have school cancelled because of extreme cold. We still call that a snow day.

Fortunately, I've never had to live through the power going out though it happened a year or two ago in the western part of the state where I live. You basically muddle through. It is the worst for farmers, though generators help them with the basics.

The worst part of snowstorms/blizzards is, hands down, is driving. For me, anyway. They are potentially lethal for the homeless.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:13 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

-----

Road Salting Video

-----
Old 01-26-2015, 08:16 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Marcher and Dee, big trucks with special attachments drive along the streets and lay salt down to keep the roads from freezing as they plow the snow off the road. The salt isn't table salt. It's huge chunks like rock candy. Some of it has chemical additives to it.

I heard that there might be thunder snow tonight. It is pretty rare. I think I've heard it once or twice.
Old 01-26-2015, 08:20 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  

Old 01-26-2015, 08:22 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Is there a way to post pics besides tinypic? I keep getting error messages. This is a salt truck.

http://www.trbimg.com/img-52e8025b/t...2048/2048x1366
Old 01-26-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  

I've been in Thundersnow twice. Neato.

Our National Center for Atmospheric Research [NCAR] is in the Foothills outside Boulder. This location was chosen over others because it has about every Weather Phenom known. Save Hurricanes. There are rare ~120 MPH Wind Storms there in the Spring. It's where I heard/saw Thundersnow.

Be sure to watch the P.O.ed Guy in the 2nd Video bury his new Jeep. Hee hee.

Thundersnow + P.O.ed Jeep Guy Bonus Footage

-----
Old 01-26-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Newhope, I can't speak for millions, but I think the mentality is something along the lines of, "Okay we're snowed in so let's relax and have a drink." I've done it a lot, but not tonight.