Notices

Sober January

Old 02-01-2015, 06:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chances

Sober January

For the 1st time in 20 years I've had a full month off the alcohol.

I'm quite surprised and impressed by myself. Today is the 33rd day having abstained from 1/1/15. Prior to this my only Alcohol Free Days were rare and only due to shift work.

I think my metabolism and diet are about 90% back on track and the severe fatigue is behind me. I imagine it is this PAWS, but my main challenges now are temporary forgetfulness / episodes of 'scatterbrain', fast speech at times, short bouts of fatigue and cravings.

I've made a point of going to a few social events - both BBQ's and pubs which have been easier than expected. I've told a few close mates (who drink anyway) that I'm trying to give up and most others have just been informed I'm on a 3 to 6 month health kick. I really don't consider discussing it openly and making a big song and dance will help me, so I'm not.

Occasionally I toy with the idea that I might try to have the occasional social drink in 6 or 12 months (be that the alcohol thinking or me being a moron I don't know) but for now I would love to think never again primarily for the physical and social benefits but also the financial incentives. Not drinking is like getting a $200 to $250 fortnight pay rise. Added to my savings from not smoking for the month of about $20 a day I'm about $500 a fortnight better off and I really enjoy that aspect.

Anyway, strength and thanks to everyone - especially to those who selflessly invest hours a day on this site keeping it afloat and hoping others. You are great people indeed.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great job!
Old 02-01-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done
Old 02-01-2015, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Fantastic!! Keep it going!!