Notices

Can you hear it – Weekender Thread - Sept 12 -14

Old 09-13-2014, 03:09 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Waking up on Saturday without a hangover and only the smell of freshly ground coffee and the sound of BBC Radio 5 Live.

No headache, guilt and regret - or the highlight reel of 'cringiest moments' that my mind plays after a hard night out.

Clear-headed and off to the gym.

Have a great Saturday SR'ers.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:39 AM
  # 142 (permalink)  

Ha HA TLV, you wouldn't catch me dead wearing those sunglasses!
Since I don't get up to the minute news unless I sit in the car with the radio on... what's the skinny on any solar activity? My lights work this morning so we didn't lose the grid. Here anyway. Back is killing me, shoulder is killing me, last night wife told me I'm getting old. A friend texted that an AA friend who was supposed to get him bedroom furniture stood him up a second time. So today I am giving him a bed, dresser and some misc I am not using. Getting it there is another matter. 6 yr old bed, never used except to put clothes on in spare room.
Old 09-13-2014, 03:43 AM
  # 143 (permalink)  

Oh, I took some photos this morning for you folks over there.
Holt
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
holt.jpg (8.5 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-13-2014, 03:45 AM
  # 144 (permalink)  

Thirsk, Northern Yorkshire - I get around

These are from last event.
Attached Images
ThisrkNYorkshire.jpg (8.7 KB, 64 views)
Old 09-13-2014, 03:51 AM
  # 145 (permalink)  

"Beautiful Vision"

Beautiful vision
Stay with me all of the time
Beautiful vision
Stay ever on my mind with your beautiful...

Mystical rapture
I am in ecstasy
Beautiful vision
Don't ever separate me from your beautiful...

In the darkest night
You are shining bright
You are my guiding light
You show me wrong from right

Beautiful vision
Stay ever on my mind
Beautiful vision
Stay with me all of the time with your beautiful vision

In the darkest night
I said you are shining bright
You are my guiding light
Show me wrong from right

Beautiful vision
Stay with me all of the time
Beautiful vision
Stay ever on my mind with your beautiful vision
I can make it
I can make it
With your beautiful vision

Old 09-13-2014, 04:22 AM
  # 146 (permalink)  

Morning all! Settling in with my cup of coffee to get some work done. Feel good and my mind is clear. Love that feeling!

LBrain -- lovely pics!

Rogue -- In my twenties, I was a bartender and worked at some high end restaurants making really good money. Working in the restaurant industry is not conducive to staying sober, and I would give anything to go back and quit drinking then, even if it meant losing out on money in the short term. The past 15 years would have been so much better! Hang in there.
Old 09-13-2014, 04:39 AM
  # 147 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good morning all.

Gotta check my camping gear today to make sure I can find it and that it still works. Haven't been camping in about 12 years, but going with my sons next weekend.

Mrs. Non just pointed out some tent worms in a tree in the back.

The tax class I am taking is turning out to be a lot of work, but the people in the class are great, so we are all in it together. I know how comforting that can be.

Keep it simple and sober y'all!
Old 09-13-2014, 05:22 AM
  # 148 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hello all,
I'm late so I'll squeeze into the back.

Life is going on okay for me. I had several times this week where I was dealing with things and the thought hit me "This is why I drank." The good news is that I'm far enough along to see that the drinking solved nothing and actually growing up and dealing with things or emotions is a much healthier choice. And I am truly embracing the freedom of sobriety - all the choices I have to do things differently or on my own terms. It's liberating.

Not much on the agenda this weekend. My son is supposed to have a soccer game this morning, but it's a little rainy so it may be cancelled. There is a Greek Festival at the fairgrounds here in Raleigh so maybe we'll head over there for some super yummy food.

Charlee is still hopping on 3 legs so no walks or trips to the lake for now. But, he does seem more like himself so I think he's making a full recovery from the surgery. He's adapting to his new circumstances so I must too. I'll try to get a picture of him to post soon.

Take care, everyone. Hope it's a good Saturday where you are.
Old 09-13-2014, 05:23 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Let's have a little morning music

Old 09-13-2014, 05:34 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Drunking Doughnuts(AA) meeting to start the day, then open my shop for few hours - after which I will watch some college football, eat some balsamic vinegar bb sauce/slow cooked pulled pork and relax - best/easiest pulled pork slow cooker recipe I have made!

Probably go down to the lake in subdivision early evening with my 9 year old yellow lab - catch a few fish and watch her enjoy a cool swim in the hot Deep South.

Rest the body and the mind - We are all so worth it!
peace to us all...
Old 09-13-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 151 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Woke up with a migraine not alcohol related, but I'm in.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:17 AM
  # 152 (permalink)  

Good to see you, Jessie!
Old 09-13-2014, 06:49 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Slept well but not without busy thoughts on my mind. At least I feel rested. Not much planned but cleaning and hanging out. There is a weekend carnival at a church that includes rides near here and I will take the kids tomorrow if the weather cooperates. They enjoy spending my money on the games mostly.

Rogue, it is hard and lonely to feel you are missing out on stuff, in the beginning. But I know I don't miss the inevitable hangover and feeling of sick that always came with not missing out. Treat yourself to some non alcoholic fun. There is a gray zone at first.

Yay Charlee, both human and canine! I've had many points this past week where I thought "this is why I drank" but like you, the sanity kicked in at some point but it is exhausting to ponder. My body engages in a physical war with my head. My nerves tense and send insistent and pounding messages to my brain saying just one will make this all go away. A big fat lie! I am glad to hear that Charlee the dog is more himself.

Time to get dressed. My mother in law is coming to take my son to his piano lesson and he is currently sleeping at my parent's house so I have to get him before that. Only a ten minute drive either way but still need to be dressed. See you all later. And I've been reading daily meditations online for both AA and hazelden which give me food for thought in the morning. It's been helping a little.
Old 09-13-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  

I Got Nuffin'

Welp, no Aurora up here at 9,050' in the Northern Colorado Rockies in ideal dark Skies. Sounds like Earth took a good hit, but the Axis tilt determines who can see what/when.

Here's some pretty Pix. Click on this one to make it huge. See the 'Current Auroral Oval' in the lower left Webpage corner.

SpaceWeather.com

And, a a few more...

SpaceWeather.com Gallery

We drove up yesterday in the tail end of a Storm to check on the Mountain House, here. Gorgeous last night, but the predictable Wind has kicked up this morning. The Wood Stove is now blazing in temps just below Freezing. However, my plans to Fish in the Private Lake seen below might bite the dust.

This Pic is of a Scottish Pal's Son up here around our Fire Ring some years ago. I took the 'Wee Bastid' Fishing for the first time ever, and he had a mighty good time. After enjoying ~18 years up here p/t, it's time to let someone enjoy the Joint while we set down new Roots in the Western part of Colorado. So, we're cleaning it up a bit to facilitate Showings to sell. Mice sure love a protected environment 'round here. Shedding Possessions is good for the Sober Soul, I find. And, it'll help the ole Net Worth, too.

Soldier on, roguedreams. It does get easier sooner. You'll be forever glad you muscled through this part. I was mucking around with something yesterday and chuckling to myself while recalling how much harder this task would have been while hammered. No contest.

Little Richard lived in my SoCal Hometown for years. To be around his Momma, I heard. If someone's trying to roust you out of Bed too early this morning, play them this one!

Music Video Link

'Keepa Knockin But You Can't Come In' ~ Little Richard

-----
Attached Images
Crystal Lakes & Daniel_800.jpg (100.5 KB, 52 views)
Old 09-13-2014, 06:55 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Something to ponder from the hazelden website. True words for me.

"Pain, repeatedly experienced, indicates a need for self-assessment, an inventory of our behavior. Honest self-appraisal may well call for change, a change in attitude perhaps, a change in specific behavior in some instances, or maybe a change in direction. We get off the right path occasionally, but go merrily on our way until barriers surface, doors close, and experiences become painful.

Most of us willingly wallow in our pain a while, not because we like it, but because its familiarity offers security. We find some comfort in our pain because at least it holds no surprises."

There is more but these words jumped out at me.
Old 09-13-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 156 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

The aurora was big news here in Maine. The news had pics people took up north. Some great colors. Even this color blind guy could see em.

Like the message Ruby!

Good workout in today. Took my walk as usual in addition to working out. Saw the usual set of people from the shelter. We always talk. I told them I was gonna cook today. Since I live alone when I cook they know they get some. LOL So I have a big ole pork butt taking in the dry rub I slathered on it. Slow cook it for several hours later. I will see them tomorrow as usual and bring them some.

The weather is perfect for me. 50's and low 60's. Need to get out some more. All the windows open and that crispness lights me up. I was struggling with being very low and lonely this morning. But the weather and cooking seems to be helping a bunch.

Hope everyones Saturday is going well. Cravings at bay. Smiles on your faces.

K
Old 09-13-2014, 07:44 AM
  # 157 (permalink)  

Darwinian Drunks

And, JUST when you thought you knew all the Life/Death reasons to Sober up!

Yowzah!

Man-Eating Leopard Targeting Drunks In Indian Himalayas

-----
Old 09-13-2014, 07:46 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders!

Slept fairly well last night. Day 10 and hopefully things are starting to balance out in that department

Plans for the day... hmmmm. In bed sipping a coffee right now while my man is making breakfast. Debating on taking him clothes shopping today as hes ruining all his at work. The sun is shining which is a nice change from yesterday... gloomy weather seems to make it harder for me to get by during the day.

Hope everyone has a fantastic sober day!
Old 09-13-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  

HI everyone.

Gloomy morning here. Fits my mood. Bored and nothing much to do today. I've gotten to where I'm sleeping 8-10 hrs/night...just b/c I end up going to be for lack of anything to do.

Sorry for the Bleh post...I just wish I had more to do and more people to do it with sometimes.
Old 09-13-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 160 (permalink)  

Seeing Aurora Borealis is on my bucket list. And I DID NOT check that box last night although I stayed up way later then my usual. I suppose I will have to wait until I get my moment, ideally with a Red Rock backdrop or Alaskan frontier.

Rainy Saturday enjoying catching up and cuddling with my pip squeak side kicks!

Happy Saturday all