Notices

Can you hear it – Weekender Thread - Sept 12 -14

Old 09-13-2014, 09:21 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Glad your dad will be ok, Ruby.
And thank you for doing the antiques road show research on the camel lamp!!! I love my camel lamp!
I will not polish!
I love yard sales!
Old 09-13-2014, 09:54 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  

What's important is that you like the lamp. When I said that I learned a lot from my dad it was art and objects. he was an art major in college and is a collector. I just wish I had his budget

My brother left the hospital and went home so apparently things are going okay. My mother said she wouldn't call unless it was dire. No news is good news and I am off to bed. I want to hit the farmers market before church for some end of season tomatoes since my six plants didn't produce much of anything.

Bedtime and it's definitely blanket weather. It has to be in the thirties tonight. Maybe I will think about making chili tomorrow. Which includes bacon.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:32 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hey Ruby ,
sorry about your dad , will keep my fingers crossed and pray to whomever might listen .

Everyone else on the sober bus,
hope you're all present and correct , if anyone has slipped and fallen it's sunday morning and a good time to regroup , learn how we ended up drinking again and move forwards , get more help .
When we were learning to ride a bike we took a tumble once in a while , we were shaky but with skillfull practice we got there in the end . So we can learn something from ourselves when we were children . Stay on the sober bike , get straight back up and get to it again .

It's possible for you and me , *ring ring*

off for my coffee , m
Old 09-14-2014, 01:50 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Thought with you and your dad ruby.
Old 09-14-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Ruby... Hope your dad is feeling better soon.

BigS... glad you are home safe. Two weeks will go quick and then back to a place you love.

I am sore from my workout yesterday. So time to do it again.
Old 09-14-2014, 02:00 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Hope your dad is OK, Ruby!
Old 09-14-2014, 04:18 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Good Morning All.

I was a big football-watching blob last night. Yesterday's hike with the pack left me pretty gassed and I just melted into the sofa after dinner. I might hike again today, depending on the weather.

I didn't get the camp stove out yet, so I'll do that today. Plus I need to change the HVAC filters and hang some blinds for Mrs. Non. Just another exciting day in regular life.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:37 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Good morning week-endies...Ruby, love your deals and Olive's camel lamp...pssst ask Rusty Zipper, he does antiques for a living.
I am sorry about your father and hope all is ok this morning.
I am painting again today, but it will be beautiful when finished, the ceiling and 3 coats of crown molding are white linen, the walls are a fawn coffee with a warm touch bit of pink in it....its a huge room with pale oak flooring and angled fireplace on a 5th wall. Pics. will be up on whiners later.
No bacon... but I have great chicken/kale sausages.
Boohoo, Rutgers lost to Penn State.
Old 09-14-2014, 04:43 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone. Another sunday for me without a hangover and for that I am eternally grateful. Up at 5am for a 10 mile hike. Then volunteer work this afternoon with a cute kid. It's a great weekend. Ruby, glad to hear that your Dad is ok.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:00 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

woke up, in pain again, in an hour or so I can move weel enough to to something to aggravate it, but I can't sit still - I did that months ago, time to move.

Ruby, hoping all is well with your dad and family.
Non - thanks for reminding me - filter change out. When I have my central air unit replaced a couple years ago a new filter system was installed - not something I cannot just get at a package store - special order filter. One of MUST DO items on my list.

Fandy - rutgers in the big ten (14) - it's going to e a long season for them and penn state.

have a great day all.
Old 09-14-2014, 05:19 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Good morning all,

Ruby- I hope your dad continue to improve.

BigS- glad you made it back to Chicago.

Olive - love the lamp!

Still on the fence about the reunion - thanks for the input, Brain and Bimini. My parents now live within walking distance of downtown Lititz (my hometown) so I'd have an easy exit strategy. I have a few more weeks until I have to decide for sure.

I went to bed early and slept pretty well. The dogs let me sleep until 7. Charlee would sleep or at least remain quiet until whenever I wanted to get up, but the other three are on a timer. But, I have coffee and pumpkin bread so life is good.

Hope it's a good day where you are.
Old 09-14-2014, 06:32 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Wood Stove Weekend

Up and at 'em here at 9,050' in the Rockies. Got the Wood Stove going, and my proprietary brew of Coffee so strong it could bring a Vampire back to life. The 'Never Fail' item to start a blazing Fire every time: a scrap piece of Cardboard. All dem lil 'ridges' in it let in Air, and get back Jack!

Almost no Wind up here, which is very nice. Clear beyond clear, save some Smoke/Haze blown in from some distant Fire elsewhere.

Good Vibes transmitted Skyward to Ruby2 , and a Sober Sunday to busy Folks and Yard Salers. Olive1, my good Band Pal moved up your way to Bainbridge Island, adjacent to a Heron Bird Preserve. He was one Lot back from the Water. While getting his Mail one day, he met his Neighbor: Russell Johnson. 'The Professor' from 'Gilligan's Island' who - wait for it - kept a Boat on his private Dock there.

Putz around up here for a 1/2 day, and then head back down to the City House. Every commute is a good commute in my shiny new Truck!

Even the Pooch likes to ease into Sunday.

Elton John busted onto the American Music Scene with this live FM Simulcast that was later Remastered into an Album: '11-17-70'. As a Power Trio, he could show Jerry Lee Lewis a thing or two. Dude absolutely ripped it up back then...

PC Language Note: The Word Editor on here substitutes 5 asterisks for the word '*****'. So, I slipped in an Alt bit of Urbane Slang for my fellow pasty-Skinned, Sunscreen-using Caucasians: 'Cracker'. That's MISTER 'Ritz', to you.

Music Video Link

'Cracker Tonk Women' ~ Elton John

----
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
B_ With Pillow & Shoe.jpg (24.7 KB, 44 views)
Old 09-14-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 213 (permalink)  

charleesavedme - I thought you were a coal cracker, must be someone else here.

Did you drive a buggy to school? October around there is a neat experience. Get you some shoo-fly pie to take back. And some high quality scrapple. Ruby and Olive should go there and "shop" to their hearts content.

I'm awake an hour and half and am still barely able to move without wincing in pain. But as soon as my body "warms up" I'll do something stupid I'm sure. This is a good excuse to do nothing but watch football all day - if I had a place to watch it.

Gee mesaman, if I had known you were going to post a song I would have passed. - timing is everything

Last edited by LBrain; 09-14-2014 at 06:42 AM. Reason: runner gets the tie
Old 09-14-2014, 06:50 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Synergy

LBrain ~

Cosmic Synergy. Alanis, quite like Elton, blasted onto the Scene with the Disc/Song you linked.

I saw some old Footage of her singing at Canadian Shopping Malls with Foof Hair flyin' as she did a 'Debbie Gibson'-style Set. Talk about reinventing yourself years later, Alanis did a helluva job doing so.

The Production on her breakout Disc was stellar, IMO. When in doubt, turn it up!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:51 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. No news is good news so I am assuming he is in the hospital being observed and super crabby with no iPad to entertain him. He is a gadget man. My brother and I each have iPads because my dad thought that no one should do without. Generous too, with a kick from my mother

Fandy, I will have to check out the painting project. This kitchen do over is putting thoughts of house makeovers in my head but one project at a time. Now that the kids are beyond the scribble on the wall with crayons stage I think it might be safe to paint something again.

Charlee, I've gone to a few school reunions. Only one high school one though. It was fun and even though I wasn't a huge high school fan I enjoyed myself. It was good seeing people who knew me back when and groups tended to sort of melt away as people discussed adult life. It was rather affirming actually. I am still kind of toying with going to my undergrad homecoming weekend but probably won't. It is just an easy two hour drive though. I will go to the big reunion there in 2016. Gadzooks almost thirty years since I left college. I'm an old lady

Time to get ready for church. My plan to go to the farmers market beforehand will have to go by the wayside. I didn't go to bed until after midnight and the kids rudely woke me up with fighting. And trashing the living room. I'd love to get them those inflatable sumo wrestling suits so they can safely duke it out.

As Mec said, if you fell off over the weekend, pick yourself up and dust off. Today is a new day. Add more tools to the toolbox. Talk to everyone later!
Old 09-14-2014, 06:56 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Hi All.

Trying to get moving this morning. Was out late last night...one of the few recent nights in memory that I actually went out and socialized instead of sitting at home by myself. We went to the theater downtown and then to grab some food and drinks afterwards (sparkling water for me). The show we saw was fun, and honestly it was just nice to be out.

Today meeting my sis and BIL for some event he's involved in. Should be fun...and I won't be bored today!
Old 09-14-2014, 07:21 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Hey gang - I was gone all day yesterday and didn't have access to my computer. It was such a perfect day. It is so nice to feel good, revel in life, appreciate people and be appreciated back. Yesterday was a scuba diving day. I didn't dive, but hubby did. I spent the diving time playing with my camera.

Ruby - prayers for you and yours. Scary situation.

Charlie - they is PERFECT! Love it.
he said you're all wagon friends because we circle the wagons to protect each other. I like that analogy. I know I feel protected here on SR and know we are all watching out for each other through the weekends here on this thread.
Mesaman - I love that cook top. We are shopping for one but cannot find one that checks all the boxes yet. Fortunately we are not in a "Need to do it NOW" place so can be picky.
Old 09-14-2014, 07:42 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday it's crisp and fall is in the air, which is bitter sweet for me. In mom/wifebot mode getting all my plan ahead duties done, groceries laundry, cooking for the gameS.

iTunes has the new U2 album free which on first listen I was less than enthused buuuuut it's grown on me over the last few hours plus Larry Mullen Jr. Was my first music crush so I feel I owe it to him to .
The song The Troubles pretty fitting for addiction.

Ok back to plowing down small children and seniors with my shopping cart
Old 09-14-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  

well IM, it's your fault. As long as oldself can be kevin bacon, I'm going to be homey the clown.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

Now We're Cookin' With Gas...

Altoids ~

Re: the Cooktop, we went through this 'Good Ole Boy' Appliance Store in W. Colorado with 50 years of Sales/Service under their Belts. They educated us on how those 'Starfish'-shaped Burners put heat under the center of any Cookware, too. Vs. a circular Burner. Made sense.

We re-jetted this Cooktop to compensate for 'hotter' Propane; a necessity off-Grid. I kinda recall the Center Burner is 17,500 BTUs or so. Good enough for my 'Guy Cooking'. Easy cleanup, too. No seams in the Stainless Steel. That Pic is several years old, so this Cooktop has gotten a workout since then. Zero issues.

Design Alert: When you get up into the big 'Wolf' and other Pro Cooktops, you sometimes have to space the Cooktop/Stove further from Flammables like Cabinets. Also, they can require double Drywall on the adjacent Walls as Firestop. My original saying: 'Never confuse Building Codes with Logic'.

It's the ole 'Be Careful What You Wish For'. Do your Due Diligence on Cooktops, since what we see on the Cooking Shows can have ancillary requirements that make retrofits more daunting. Some high BTU Cooktops can also require larger diameter Gas Pipe Plumbing than what pre-exists in a Wall.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled Sunday Morning Sobriety...

Music Video Link

'How D'Ya Like Your Eggs In The Morning'? ~ Dean Martin & Helen O'Connell

------