Notices

Can you hear it – Weekender Thread - Sept 12 -14

Old 09-12-2014, 02:33 PM
  # 101 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Told you I'd be gone today. I was at the golf course again.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:38 PM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Can I have a window seat please? Ive got a big and stressful weekend ahead. And im afraid to admit that my first thoughts were....I could do with some wine....still my default setting when stressed etc....sorry don't mean to lower the tone.
gonna go to bed soon with another coffee....its ok I dont sleep anyway. ?..even when I quit caffeine. See you all soon.xx
Old 09-12-2014, 02:46 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I ran up on this video and had an embarrassing memory. I've always loved Yes, and when the Union tour came to Atlanta, my friends, my wife, and I leaped at the chance to go. A few hundred dollars for a table down front at Chastain amphitheater for the best band I've ever heard.

I was so hammered that I still can't remember anything of what was probably the concert of a lifetime.

Old 09-12-2014, 02:52 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by missunhappy View Post
Sober here in my nice warm bed on at 10.25 on friday night! Feels great! Took kids bowling & for a meal after school,then come back & chilled in the garden with wood burner going when they settled down in bed... These things I probably wouldnt appreciate or sometimes even do had i'd been drinking or been hungover. Well & truly loved this evening & best of all the kids happy faces !it beats drinking anyday.hope you all have a fabulous weekend
Welcome to SR and the weekender missunhappy!! Sounds like a perfect evening. Stick around for the weekend. Check in and let us know how you are doing.
Old 09-12-2014, 02:54 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good to see so many... Petals, DoubleF, Tetra... BIG group this weekend!!!

I am getting ready to settle in with some frozen yogurt and watch a few more episodes of The Killing. I am at the one where they stumbled on a possible terror plot in season 1. Not a fan of such a huge turn of events but I will see where this goes.

Then up early for exercise!!!
Old 09-12-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Oh, and if anyone wants to know why I quit piano...

Old 09-12-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  

Hells to the yeah i got my car back which means 45 minutes to work instead of 3 hours....BOOM!
Old 09-12-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Happy for you Django!!
Old 09-12-2014, 04:50 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  

Home safe and sound from work. Had a shower and a nap. Dinner is simmering: jasmine rice, peas, carrots, chopped red onion, with steak and potato soup stirred in, W-shire sauce, Sri-racha and other seasonings.

No special plans for tonight, but following mecanix's lead I think I will start working for myself a couple hours on the weekend on my own projects, even if they aren't immediately lucrative. Tomorrow when I'm rested I'll see if I can work out a schedule and a project plan with myself.

TV, books, music and maybe a crossword tonight.

Really nice to see so many people joining in!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:02 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

gee kevin, I took the night off cooking. I made fish in oven, noodles and squash, hard to mess up noodles or squash. the fish cooked itself.
I attempted to move some dirt and work in the garden. Slowly. I know I'm gonna feel it in the morning or when I lie down tonight.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:03 PM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Better late than never!
I am in!
I started a new job on Wednesday, still have to do the old job as well, just on weekends and evenings for a few months. Needless to say, I am a bit exhausted and overwhelmed. I think it will all be good in the long run, just a lot of work to get there.
The good thing about having the mindset now of being a non-drinker: It never occurred to me at any time during the past week to have a drink. Not to celebrate, not to wind down, not to relieve the stress. It is just not part of my life any more.
Just wanted to let newcomers know, you can get to the point where it is not the norm and not always on your mind.
It's true.

Hope everyone is having a fine Friday evening!
I also have a new postcard to share!
I need to get a photo and then I will add it to the thread!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:07 PM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Happiness is...being at home watching Skyfall for the second time (I am not a huge Bond fan, but I really enjoyed this)...with a stack of books by my side, and a huge pot of steaming camomile tea and candles lighting so my room looks all mystical!

I am taking part in the Galway Memorial Walk this Sunday to raise funds for Galway Hospice. This is a charity that is very close to my heart, as my uncle passed away from cancer on 30th September 2013. We should all come together to fight this terrible disease. Wish me luck guys!
Attached Images
Old 09-12-2014, 05:15 PM
  # 113 (permalink)  

Hi! I'd like to join too!

I have loads of work scheduled for this weekend, so I will be at home typing away. And I plan on going on a couple of nice hikes too, so I will be good and tired when my head hits the pillow.

I took my dog on a hike today and ran into the cow herd that lives in the hills around my house. This pic isn't the greatest, but there were about 10 cows lying in the shade about 20 feet from me. Good thing my dog is a scaredy cat and won't go near them because there was a young cow with its momma, and we don't need momma cow chasing us up a hill. I think she has horns.

I made a yummy meat sauce so I'm going to have a nice dinner in a bit, have some tea, and catch up on Outlander. Love that show!
Old 09-12-2014, 05:39 PM
  # 114 (permalink)  

Olive, so many of us with new jobs.

Tetra, I hear you about happiness! Good movie, books, tea, candles, I almost saw it! Good luck on Sunday.

Inflagrante, love the picture! I thought it was a postcard at first, then a painting.

You know the gifts of sobriety like time? I'm lately experiencing another one - contentment. Sitting next to my kids after an exhausting week, each one reading our own books. Heaven...
Old 09-12-2014, 05:49 PM
  # 115 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by petals View Post
Can I have a window seat please? Ive got a big and stressful weekend ahead. And im afraid to admit that my first thoughts were....I could do with some wine....still my default setting when stressed etc....sorry don't mean to lower the tone.
My first thought still turns there too when stressed. Often. Day 79 here. It's what we do that counts.
Old 09-12-2014, 05:53 PM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Today I went and bought a bike...and spent this sunny evening in North London cycling it the 13 miles home. I had a mild urge to drink in the afternoon, but told my AV to '**** off'.

I'm now ending my day sober and with a new hobby that can only benefit my health rather than destroy it.

Tomorrow will be spent doing a test-run of my cycle route to my workplace for Monday.

Positively glowing with positivity!

(Yes, you can slap me for that last line).
Old 09-12-2014, 05:56 PM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Sounds like everyone is settled down for the evening - glad to hear it! Weasel, I like the idea of checking out "The Killing", I've heard about it and it sounds worth while. Speaking of good TV, has anyone ever seen the UK series "Black Mirror"? I love that stuff! Need more episodes, pronto.

I'm probably going to check out the newest "The Outlander" tonight, it's the newest series I'm watching. Popcorn is on the stove and a fresh selzer water with lime is on the way. All packed (for the most part) and ready to jet set bright and early tomorrow. Feeling strangely serene and hope to keep the calm feelings going Saturday. Should be nice to get back to my old Chicago APT one last time and watch football on my big screen TV on Sunday. I'm already thinking about what flavor of Ben & Jerry's to get when I return to the States....mmmmm....
Old 09-12-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Olive1 View Post
Better late than never!
I am in!
I started a new job on Wednesday, still have to do the old job as well, just on weekends and evenings for a few months. Needless to say, I am a bit exhausted and overwhelmed. I think it will all be good in the long run, just a lot of work to get there.
The good thing about having the mindset now of being a non-drinker: It never occurred to me at any time during the past week to have a drink. Not to celebrate, not to wind down, not to relieve the stress. It is just not part of my life any more.
Just wanted to let newcomers know, you can get to the point where it is not the norm and not always on your mind.
It's true.

Hope everyone is having a fine Friday evening!
I also have a new postcard to share!
I need to get a photo and then I will add it to the thread!
You'll get there, all jobs are a little stressful to begin with...Just don't expect the world of yourself and to know everything within your first month (or even six!).

I start a new job this coming Monday and hope I can put my words above into action.

And of course, without using the drink to manage any stress.

Good luck.
Old 09-12-2014, 06:05 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by missunhappy View Post
Sober here in my nice warm bed on at 10.25 on friday night! Feels great! Took kids bowling & for a meal after school,then come back & chilled in the garden with wood burner going when they settled down in bed... These things I probably wouldnt appreciate or sometimes even do had i'd been drinking or been hungover. Well & truly loved this evening & best of all the kids happy faces !it beats drinking anyday.hope you all have a fabulous weekend
So blissful... Happy for you, misshappy! Welcome
Old 09-12-2014, 06:12 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by closetlobster View Post
Positively glowing with positivity!

(Yes, you can slap me for that last line).
I'm positive you can't have too much positivity!

(you'all are lucky this forum limits images or you'd see many more happy bananas)