Notices

Can you hear it – Weekender Thread - Sept 12 -14

Old 09-13-2014, 09:30 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

I am getting ready to roast my pork butt... Do any of you put water in the bottom of the roasting pan when you have a rack? I have done both and prefer the water to prevent burning of the fats that drip but wondering what you all do...
Old 09-13-2014, 09:40 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

I make an amazing pork "butt" no water use 2 part apple juice to one part white vinegar. As well as fresh apples and white onion sliced. Makes a great sauce! You won't need too much liquid if it's a 4-5 pound roast. Roast really high like 450 for 30 mins and then turn that baby down really low cook all day!

What time shall I come?
Old 09-13-2014, 09:45 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Started my day off here as I now do-with coffee and coming here. Took my nature walk, hit the farmer's market and then the hubby and I went yard saling-is that a word, saling? Got a 6 foot ladder for 2 bucks. Can't beat that.

Now just hanging out here for few with my afternoon tea. Have a good day everyone!
Old 09-13-2014, 09:46 AM
  # 164 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I found a Kevlar vest in with my camping gear.
I'm pretty sure the navy hadn't intended for me to keep that. Wonder if I can turn it back in now? For today I stuffed it in my backpack, along with a tent (let the straps out on the pack to account for my increased girth since I last had it on) and went for a 2 mile slog through the neighborhood. Motrin where art thou?

Set my tent up in the back yard - that still works. The elastic cord in one of the collapsible poles broke, but it is still usable. I'll see if I can get that replaced.

Next up - the (t)rusty camp stove. How long do you suppose those gas cylinders are good for? Do they expire?
Old 09-13-2014, 10:17 AM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Non, I recently used my Coleman stove after 25 years of it sitting in the storage shed.

It fired right up. They are built to last, apparently. Same goes for the Coleman lantern

Oh, I wish I would have known about the Northern Lights. I don't keep up with the news, don't even have network TV nor do I get a newspaper. *runs to internet news now to see if they're out tonight* It's rare to have a big event and clear skies here in the generally overcast NW US.
Old 09-13-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 166 (permalink)  

I was just getting ready to type and the power went out. do do do do

Non, try Dicks or a cabelas/bass pro if they're around you. Dick's had replacement poles you can get straight from the rack. It's hit or miss if they fit tho...

Speaking of racks, I like ImperfectlyMe's idea using apple juice and vinegar. If you really want to try something, get a big jar or peperocinis and dump the whole thing in over your butt along with a little apple juice if you want - no vinegar. Cook in the same manner. Spices it up quite nicely and you can make sammies with the tender peppers and sharp provolone on a kaiser roll. MMM MMM GOOD.

I spent a couple hours in the rain doing yard work. Started coming down heavy so moving to the garage after lunch. I still have laundry to dry. Feeling bummed because I have no TV and can't watch football. Perfect rainy day for it. Making eggplant parm tonight. Will use the last of my tomatoes for the sauce. My fall lettuce is already coming up - germinated in less than a week and leaving. Plus a few radishes - the seeds work! Spinach is still thinking about it.

bimini try this - http://www.softservenews.com/Aurora.htm
Old 09-13-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Oh your pun gave me a chuckle
Now that's a rack!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:01 AM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Let the work day begin.
EGG NOG is out on the shelves. I couldn't be happier! I'll gain pounds over the next few months off that alone!
Sober and strong Saturday
Old 09-13-2014, 11:12 AM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Local electrical grid has not been fried by solar ejections.
Seas have not risen the 30 feet it would take to submerge my house.
No airborne Ebola or asteroid impacts so far.
So things are not too bad over here.

Still a little warmer outside than I would like.
Oh well.
Old 09-13-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

Happiness is...spending time with your pet

And finding Ben and Jerry's "Baked Alaska" in the shop at half price...also the guy was stocking the freezer with "Minter Wonderland" so I feel all Christmassy now

I cleaned out my closet today and I put all my clothes that don't fit into a bag to give away. I found a pair of jeans I bought about three years ago (tags still on, never worn) when my drinking was starting to get out of control, and I was going through a break-up. I tried them on today and I could not get them over my thighs...

Oh well, at least I am eating well, and I am healthier and happier now
Old 09-13-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 171 (permalink)  

petals, your post about thoughts of wine still being your "go-to" for stress led me to realize that there actually is a little part of me that sometimes wants to drink over stress, in the sense of really diving in and wallowing in depression over whatever. Something to watch out for!

roguedreams, I like what you wrote about the grey no-man's land after early sobriety and before the clear benefits -- also, it had me thinking of Screaming Trees' "Grey Diamond Desert"

Lola, just wanted to say that you are not alone in not having much to do and no one to do it with -- something I need to work on, myself.

Best wishes to all of you!
Old 09-13-2014, 11:39 AM
  # 172 (permalink)  

^^This is cool, thanks LBrain
Old 09-13-2014, 11:41 AM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Kevin, is that your yard? How'd you move those big rocks?

IM, I like those red boots too.

I went all out crazy and made a turkey burger and topped it with bacon and sharp cheese and yellow mustard. Too bad we're out of pickles.
Don't normally put bacon on burgers but it has been in fridge for a few days and my honey likes to eat it 'raw'. Ongoing debate here.

Last edited by LBrain; 09-13-2014 at 11:50 AM. Reason: added tune
Old 09-13-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Raw bacon? You guys into Trichinosis in Penn?
Old 09-13-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Mmmmm.... Bacon

Hey, perhaps she's into raw Bacon...

---
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Kevin Bacon.jpg (18.7 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-13-2014, 12:54 PM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Hahaha that is certainly Bacon Raw!!!
Someone needs to use that Kevin pic as an avatar!!! Oldself?
Old 09-13-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Hi all,

My son ended up having his game, but they were beat 4-0. Oh well, they won their last two games and the other team really out-hustled them. I had the "pleasure" of sitting by the dad who yelled at his son non-stop throughout the game. This is the rec league of 11-12 year old boys, not the World Cup.

My husband just asked if I was typing to my "wagon fields." I thought he meant that because we're all on the wagon (or bus as well like to call it), but he said you're all wagon friends because we circle the wagons to protect each other. I like that analogy. I know I feel protected here on SR and know we are all watching out for each other through the weekends here on this thread.

In the spirit of advice from people that I value, do you think it would be a good idea for me to attend my 25th high school reunion in early October? Keep in mind I moved away from my hometown in Pennsylvania (not too far from where you live, Brain) and I have mixed feelings about high school. Not really what I consider my "glory days" and I'm still friends with the people that I really liked so I don't need to catch up with them. Part of me thinks it would be fun and part of me is afraid it would bring back up feelings of insecurity and lead to triggers that could lead to drinking. Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2014, 02:12 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

I'm dying laughing at K Bacon.
Well, I am reminded how much I don't like skinning and seeding tomatoes. Organic food yes, but pain in the butt too. I didn't even start cooking the sauce yet. My last totally organic sauce of the year. My onions didn't do well, but I still have enough red onions in the ground.

Charlee, GO. I didn't go to any of mine until 25th. People have changed. Some of them have even grown up. Sounds like a Friday night football game is in the plan...
I liked mine because most of them looked 20 years older than I did And it wasn't a drunkin fest. People will behave and act responsibly. Of course there will be the 'after party' that you don't have to go to. I'm sure you will enjoy yourself - I was skeptical because I wasn't a big fan of high school. But I was amazed that people I didn't recognize all knew me. I forgot how well liked I was.

uh-oh Wife is awake - time to get back into the kitchen
Old 09-13-2014, 02:24 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ImperfectlyMe View Post
Hahaha that is certainly Bacon Raw!!! Someone needs to use that Kevin pic as an avatar!!! Oldself?
For you IM....of course
Old 09-13-2014, 02:59 PM
  # 180 (permalink)  
pray for strength