Notices

Can you hear it – Weekender Thread - Sept 12 -14

Old 09-14-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Hahahahahagaha It's amazing Brain!!!

I've laughed a 100 times imagining the persons face when reading sensitive and helpful advice from oldself and his inner self, yours is a perfect follow up!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:36 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

IM, you saying I'm not sensitive? Or helpful?

MM - if I ever have a chance to build my place - think lottery ticket, a six burner viking over any wolf. Just my preference. Wolf is pretty, but... My house will be designed around my kitchen which will be designed around my stove. A good kitchen and a good wood shop. And maybe a nice little studio a la Daryl's House.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:47 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

It stands to reason, it's implausible that one who holds Trans-Siberian Orchestra near to their heart, would be anything other than sensitive or helpful. It's BoBo I'm worried about!

Hey and this is just me, and I've got a twisted sense of humor, if I first posted here and I was welcomed by the likes of Kevin Bacon and BO BO I'd feel very at home.

I'm thinking costume party next weekend come as your inner self!
Old 09-14-2014, 08:52 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

Well I'm back from my weekend of ice hockey, 1 win and 1 lose in OT, not too bad to begin the season, 3pts from 4pts!!

Taking it easy this afternoon, Premiership soccer is on at the moment and tonight week 2 of the NFL!!

Hope everyone is having a great Sunday, whatever you're all up to!!

As always let's keep it Sober!!
Old 09-14-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Good afternoon Sober Weekenders! I was up super early this morning as bf had to go to work. After coffee and computer time I decided to close my eyes.....4 hours later I woke up! Even though I've been sober for 22 months, my thinking jumped to feeling panicked and guilty for sleeping in on the weekend. I jumped in the shower and then took my dog for a walk; and I felt great, but my thinking went to the mode I generally was in on a Sunday morning as I had to troll the bar parking lots to figure out where my car was...and my purse, and my cell phone....you get it.

I'm super greatful for being sober today Even though my mind sometimes goes back in time, I, myself, don't really. I am sober and for the most part make next right decisions. I'm off to a community retreat shortly with many parents and students from my school; life is good
Old 09-14-2014, 09:55 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Weekenders!!!!
Today I am not going to leave my house. Going to do a few chores and maybe paint a bit. It is supposed to be upper 80s here today.
Seriously. I am tired of summer. Someone make it stop.

Postcard intermission!
This one is from Altoids!
Love it! Thank you!!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-1755073111.jpg (50.5 KB, 49 views)
Old 09-14-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Well I missed the Northern Lights I got this instead

WTF?
Old 09-14-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  

The cat and I both slept in until almost noon. Both of us still sober this weekend. Catching up on rest and adjusting to the change of seasons, I suppose. Decent dreams, though.

Had coffee but brain fog still lingering. Making a lunch of refried beans, corn, eggs and salsa.

Stayed in and watched movies yesterday. Solved a crossword puzzle despite not quite having the head for it. Almost getting the hang of the ambiguous/duplicitous clues. I'll admit that I gave up on another one and drew a big X through it.

It's quiet outside. I was hoping to rent "Captain America: Winter Soldier" this weekend but I think it's too much in demand. Cool that they got Robert Redford to play in it, considering the theme.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:22 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Already feeling a day late and a dollar short. Kids distracted the heck out of me and I forgot I was planning to hit the farmers market. Too late now. Dang it! I wanted to get tomatoes and peaches.

Life is just a series of frustrations sometimes. I can't get ahold of Mr. Ruby and I need him to help get this dishwasher home. I have a bunch of other things I need/would like to get done. Carnival with kids. Have to grocery shop. Reassemble the house after kids trashing it this morning, visit my dad. Etc. etc. if I were drinking none of it would be done. Or, I would do one thing while feeling sick and hungover and anxiously anticipating the time I could get home and start drinking again.

It makes me feel ill thinking about all those Sunday morning when I would wake up still drunk from the night before and be in almost physical pain counting the hours until I could buy alcohol. Ugh.

My dad is in the hospital until at least tomorrow. There is some confusion as to whether they will be doing an angiogram or an angioplasty. I believe it is more likely the former as he just had a test a couple of months ago which showed no blockage.

Well, while I'm waiting for the missing mr. Ruby I will do more laundry. Sigh.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Hi all ,
just planning how to spend the money i haven't saved yet .. with my new temporary job , starting tomorrow .

I'm hoping i can wheedle myself into a permanent contract role for as long as i can . Certain "extra" workloads are happening in the big firm i'm subbing for a sub for .. could be good for 2 or 3 years work … cross my fingers

still procrastinating over some paperwork but will do it after some tidying up is finished as otherwise i have no space in which to work . Two two bed houses i lived in , in parallel and all that stuff is in now my 10ft x 15ft room and one cupboard 3ft x 3ft x 6 long .. the stuff i left behind to the rats and thieves in my french house still got nowhere to put it here … even if half of it hadn't been stolen .

Still i got to progress from where i find myself today and keep on my knees in thanks for what i have today , seems there are a lot of opportunities .

Stay strong , m
Old 09-14-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Well, I completed my charity walk this morning...and raised some money for the hospice. Weather was sunny, birds were chirping, and we got coffee and biscuits when we finished, what a nice way to spend a Sunday

The main reason I drank was to cope with my shyness, so I am forcing myself every day to make polite small talk with at least one person...even if it is just smiling and saying "nice weather today"...to the guy at the petrol station where I buy my milk and newspaper. Today I had a nice chat with a lady who was feeding the ducks near where I had my coffee. She was bringing her daughter the new museum and we had a brief discussion about that...it was really nice!!
Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Sounds like people are getting things done this weekend! Tetra great to hear you completed the walk, Mex I am rooting for you starting the new gig tomorrow.

Keeping with the theme, I'm off and running here. First morning back in Chicago, hit the grocery store at 7am. Spoke to my grandma afterwards (she's ninety-nine and lives in MN) and then spoke to my father in FL. Went out this morning again to grab some additional supplies, then talked to my current landlord and sorted out some details regarding paying him my last month's rent and closing out our contract. Texted a few friends to let them know I'm back in town and arranged some coffee meet-ups. Finally, I got a new hardware device shipped from my office and hooked that up....woah! I've really hit the ground running!

Lucky for me the NFL is on. Getting chili on the stove shortly. Looking forward to some chill time for the rest of the day. Glad to be sober so I can take care of these things instead of dodge them!!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Weekenders!

I've spend the last half an hour reading your posts - you all rock!

I am trying to decided what kind of a kitchen I would like for my new apartment (it comes shell-and-core), and can't. My head is just splitting. In addition it's of small size, so it's more challenging.

Can you give me some "design-inspiring kick" to break through procrastination?

P.S. I am 700 days sober today!
Old 09-14-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

LBrain - Foam rollers! OhEmmGee.

I've always had problems with neck and back pain. I've started doing more exercise that targets the shoulders and core, but it is slow going. The best thing I've found EVER is foam rollers and tennis balls to work out the lactic acid in the muscles.

Foam rollers - Target has them, probably Walmart would, too. I'm jus' sayin, they're right up there with Vitamin D for being game-changers in my life.

I'm going over to the salt water dog park today (no dog, I just gaze longingly at other peoples' dogs) then I'm going to wash the car and get some wax on it before the cold and storms come. Pretty sure that's any day now - especially since Olive keeps asking for cooler weather. Nooooooooooooooo.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Well Done!

First, nice move MidnightBlue on reaching 700 days! Smokin' achievement!

This Site is pretty kewl for Small Space Ideas. I realize these Spaces are likely 'too small', but the point is one of reusing square footage; one of my favorite concepts.

Tiny House Blog.com

I've been keen on Japanese Spaces since first going there on Biz in 1983. Here's some Search Results...

Search Results ~ Japanese Kitchen Ideas

After a couple of years Rehabbing from Whiplash, I got one of these 'Maxi Backside Rollers'. Tennis Balls are super, too. I have to pop in 'C5' or a Rib end occasionally. Instant Pain Relief after ~12 hour Int'l Flights.

Maxi Backside Roller

Music Video Link

'Turning Japanese' ~ The Vapors

-----
Old 09-14-2014, 11:53 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Hey everyone!

Congrats MidnightBlue on 700!!!!

This thread has had me laugh out loud more this weekend than normal. Thanks so much for that. Really.

I had a bad day dealing with depression. So low I had a tough time moving about but I took a long nap and am starting to come out of it.

I am saying F the diet and going to get Pasta and make a nice meat sauce. Even get some good sausage to grill and cut up and put in the sauce. Comfort food when comfort is needed.

Good luck M!

Thanks for the update Ruby.

Good for you Tetra... it feels good to do things we don't normally do and have that satisfaction about it.

IM.... everyone knows that.
Old 09-14-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
This thread has had me laugh out loud more this weekend than normal. Thanks so much for that. Really.
First weekender for me in a while... Just sayin !
Congrats MB

Weas I hope you smile today!!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Thanks a lot for the links, MesaMan!

I think, in a way, my apartment will fall into "too small" category. But I am happy that I could buy it and finally will have a place of my own.

Ken - Sorry you are feeling depressed. I think pasta and meat sauce will be quite " decent cheating food".

See you)
Old 09-14-2014, 12:47 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

well, I've been on break all day. Aleve didn't do much. I figured give myself a rest day and not push it. A long hot shower, actually put on long pants and warm shirt. Turned on the heat in the house - down to 45 last nite and topped 60 today.
This has been an active and funny thread. Glad everyone is doing so well.
BigS is back in Chicago saying goodbye. IM is still enticing in that wonder woman get up.
I found something pretty cool. Another local guy:

Old 09-14-2014, 12:52 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders, checking in late - just read through all your updates. Glad your dad is doing okay, Ruby!! And I second Weasel, this thread has been especially funny this weekend, thanks for all the laughs!

Went to the farmer's market yesterday and ran into an old teacher of mine from college in Arizona. Always great and weird to see people from years back, I'm sure you know the feeling: "Oh yeah, guess I didn't dream that, after all..."

Had friends over for board games last night.

Made another loaf of bread today and used bacon grease to grease the bread pan - bacon bread, essentially. No regrets here.