Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Super Duper Weekender Thread - Holiday Edition Aug 28th to Sept 1st

Notices

Super Duper Weekender Thread - Holiday Edition Aug 28th to Sept 1st

Old 08-27-2014, 06:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Cool Super Duper Weekender Thread - Holiday Edition Aug 28th to Sept 1st

Remember when we used phrases like “Super Duper” or ”Made you look!” or even “I'm rubber you’re glue, whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you!!!”

Those days when the end of summer was carefree... before our addictions were the main attraction. The butterflies I had knowing school was gonna start and I was just not ready for it. The fear of the great unknown… of the next level up in life. What is around that corner?

We have a long super duper holiday weekend here in the US. One last big party. The final summer display of our sober skills.

Some of us may have had our first taste of the drink on a weekend like this. When we were too young to know what we started in a simple taste of what the grown ups drank.

For all the pomp and circumstance of any holiday, Labor Day invokes my alcoholic mind with thoughts of “just one more time before…”. But we learn to hear when our addictive voice and not our sober voice. We can do something about it. We can make sure we have a holiday sober plan.

Nurture that inner child. The one who used to “Pinky Swear” with your summer pal that we would be friends forever.

So here is our holiday weekend golden rule…
"Don't drink or put anything in your body that you would not give to a ten year old kid.”

Keep your inner child sober and have fun!!!! Photography, post cards, grilling tips, gardening, wood working, varmint catching, hiking, traveling, music… I want to hear it all from our sober weekender team!!!

Welcome to your super duper long sober weekend!

*Ring Ring*
Old 08-27-2014, 06:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wowo, how's that for timing?

Did someone say SHOTGUN
Old 08-27-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Beep beep! I'm on the bus!

I have a bad memory from this time last year and do NOT plan to repeat it.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ohai.

I may or may not be going back to the fair. All the foods, mostly carbs, 10,000 food vendors - all fit for a ten year old. . . but maybe not me. Those foods don't sit well anymore!

Still better than alcohol, though.

We've got this weekend! Piece of cake!!

ba dum cchh.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm in!!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ok, I'm on the bus.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I'm in!

Happy holidays to all of you in the U.S.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

LB! Awesome shotgun buddy!

The ladies tend to act up a bit when they have shotgun... lol

AppleKat... I think many of us have bad memories of this time of year. I know I have many regretful Labor Day weekends.

Welll wanted to start us off but dead tired. See you all in the morning for the beginning of a sober and sane holiday! (early)

WOW!!!! I took a minute to post and Cristine, Cleo and Tetra all joined in! Welcome everyone! And Bi Mini and Gilmer!!! Gonna be a good one I can feel it!
Old 08-27-2014, 06:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus

See the Sunrise Pic from this morning before I packed up my lil Trailer and headed back to the Ranchette. VERY dramatic Weather 'round here.

A fun Brain Rinse up in the Mountains since last Friday, and a helluva lot more safe and sane while sober. Things like leveling Camping Trailers that could crush your Foot goes better with Sobriety.

I'm watching Jets and Lightning Strikes while listening to 'Firesign Theater'; a way-out-there Comedy Troupe that Those Of A Certain Age will remember. The Title of their fourth Album seemed to fit. Back of the Bus for me...

'I Think We're All Bozos On This Bus' ~ Firesign Theater

--------------
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Blue Mesa Rez Sunrise.jpg (85.3 KB, 201 views)
Old 08-27-2014, 06:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Strap me to the roof of the bus, I want to join in too
MesaMan, stay safe. Sounds like you're having quite the weather adventure. Mother Nature sure has been wild this year. Hoping for a calm, sunny, and sober weekend here in Michigan.
Old 08-27-2014, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Sweet! Over the hump of Wednesday and now on the sober bus for the ride down the hill to a three day weekend!
Cool beans!
The weather man has promised that it will rain this weekend. Promised. I am so excited I can't stand it.
He promised.

Old 08-27-2014, 07:14 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Looking forward to a sober holiday weekend. Labor Day Weekend actually isn't much of a trigger for me (although almost nothing is these days), sadly September was always my "quit" month in the past after numerous shameful summers that led to legal problems and even a surgery due to an alcohol-related incident. I'm not really a stranger to sobriety on this weekend. What I am a stranger to is the person I've become since quitting alcohol for good a few months ago. I like this new guy a lot! Now I can't wait for this holiday weekend, and I have it booked with plenty of fun plans.

For those struggling or who may look at this weekend as a real challenge, think of staying sober over this weekend as a gift. Soooo many people in society, even those labeled "normal" or "social" drinkers, are going to pay a price to alcohol this weekend, some of them maybe even a major price. Whether that's a bad hangover, a drunken argument with a friend/loved one, an embarrassing incident because of one too many, too much money spent while drinking, etc., most of society that chooses to indulge will pay some sort of price. BUT NOT YOU. You can sit back and be in full control of your actions all weekend, and hopefully enjoy your time off work. Don't let alcohol ruin these weekends for you anymore, start living life the way it's meant to be.
Old 08-28-2014, 12:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Bonjour my friends!

Old 08-28-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

In
Old 08-28-2014, 01:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

I was about to say it was way too early to be awake but we're pretty much a 24-hour business. I picked up a tournament to work today and have another for tomorrow and then it's off to Florida! Who wants to pick up DJ Duty after I finish the first 24 hours?

Old 08-28-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

YEY Count me in & have a great holiday weekend in the States.. I'm gonna spend my weekend with a bit of shopping & down the gym.. Not super duper exciting but it makes me happy!!! Enjoy it y'all!!!!!
Old 08-28-2014, 02:11 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

IO sono in
Old 08-28-2014, 02:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Magsie

Count me in, we've just had our bank holiday but I don't mind joining in yours. 10.16 damp Thursday morning in U K.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

The team is forming and I am excited for this sober adventure. Just happy this weekend. I have beach plans, cooking, grilling, walking, gym, so much.

There are several new trails I want to try. One is very steep so I should get a good workout in.

Lunar... Good to see you!