Notices

Cooking up a storm weekender Jun 27-29

Old 06-27-2014, 07:05 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm in. Had a super crazy work week and can't wait to decompress a bit. Food? I like to BBQ, but I more enjoy the process. I love to get some good tunes going, pour some sparkling lemon aid, listen to and watch the kids run around the backyard: the sounds of summer. Actually, when I first got sober I was real worried about bbqing: how to do that without booze? Sadly I used to have about 3 different drinks going, at various places around the house so that it only looked like I was sipping one beer as I was Q-ing. Gross. Sad. Don't miss that at all.
Have a great sober weekend everyone!
-malcolm
Old 06-27-2014, 07:07 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
pray for strength

meefreee - I laughed out loud while reading your egg story. Welcome new weekender!

A few cooking gaffs:

1) In my first week of sobriety while shopping at the local store I threw one of my favorite cooking magazines in the basket. Then realized when unpacking the groceries that I had picked "Food and Wine" magazine. "Really?!", I thought. "I had to pick the cooking magazine that is 50% alcohol??!!".

2) Mixing baking soda in a cornbread recipe instead of baking powder. The first eater's face was a contortion of torture as he bit into something that tasted like a science experiment gone wrong.

Has anyone ever tried the Starbucks chocolate cupcake with bittersweet chocolate frosting? There was something so special about eating one of those (before they discontinued carrying them)...after looking up the recipe to recreate at home, it appears that the 'specialness" comes from white wine vinegar mixed into the bittersweet chocolate frosting. Now that is something else! Tasty

Old 06-27-2014, 07:14 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Non I truly do admire your woodworking and shop. It's something I always wanted to do - need the space. My next home will have a shop. First thing I would do to fix up YOUR shop is to get rid of that steelers rag you have hanging on the wall.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:24 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

LBrain...if you could fire one up for you right now...I would:-)

Cooking mistake funny was recent for me:
I was making frosting in my stand mixer with quite a bit of powdered sugar and of course I know to start the mixer on low speed, but this once I was a bit too fast on the trigger and accidentally sent the switch flying, and YEP...the kitchen as well as myself and 7 year old daughter were covered:-)

The look on my stunned daughters face was hysterical, then being the sugar fiend that she is, she shrieked in delight..."5 second rule!" as she dropped to the floor intent on mopping up the sugar with her tongue I fear. Luckily I stopped her in time:-)
Old 06-27-2014, 07:26 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
First thing I would do to fix up YOUR shop is to get rid of that steelers rag you have hanging on the wall.
Mrs Non is from Pittsburgh and I am from near Cleveland, so the wars never stop. When the two teams play I dress up in orange and brown and behave ever so obnoxiously for the first 3 quarters. Then I usually have to accept reality and eat humble pie. But one of these days...

I let her hang that sign because she has something I want and it pays to be nice every once in a while.

Unforeseen issue while working. I sweat the dressing off my stitches. Now I have the A/C from the house blowing into the garage (all the outside doors shut). It should cool off in an hour or two.
Old 06-27-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Question for the gardeners: This winter was not kind to my gardenia bush. It has a little life, but looks like heck. Is there any salvaging to be done here or should it be torn out and replaced?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
gardenia.jpg (85.0 KB, 72 views)
Old 06-27-2014, 07:59 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

RIP~

Choose a planting location with high humidity, bright sunlight and low salt content in the soil. The pH of the soil should be below 7.0. If you cannot meet these qualifications outdoors or in the ground, gardenia will grow well in containers and in humid sun rooms.
2Amend the soil (if planting in the ground) with peat moss or compost to improve drainage and nutrient capacity.

I would cut back the dead wood and give him some good fertilizer and prayer
Old 06-27-2014, 08:03 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

oooh cooking. Food is my second obsession.

I just made a MASSIVE batch of chilli which I will portion into 6 and put in the freezer for my partner to eat while I'm at work (I work some odd hours!) I too have some eggs on to boil for egg salad but am keeping a close eye on them for exploding tendencies, once they are done I'm away to the shop to buy more white vinegar to make fat free vinaigrette. Tonight we are having steak and salad for supper, followed by chocolate and vanilla cheesecake with berry coulis. Then and only then will i start marinading the chicken for tomorrows piri piri tray bake.

Favourite food? Too many to list. Favourite thing to cook? Anything that makes Mr Tulip smile.

Disaster story? hmmm, not sure I should say. Okay, I left my parents home very young and decided that I would cook a christmas dinner my first year away from home. After hours of careful preparation, cooking, basting, much love and attention, it was time to carve the turkey. I took my knife, and carefully scraped about 1/2 a portion of the turkey - it was all bone and no meat.

What really happened? I had the damn thing upside down, i was trying to "carve" the back of the bird.
:-)
Old 06-27-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  
nmd

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Tell us about your favorite thing to eat.
That would be pie... Right now we are in prime rhubarb and sour cherry season. Elderberries are in full bloom, apples and grapes already have their fruit set and are on there way... I'll post a pic of my elderberry bushes if I get a chance, the giant lacy blooms are actually pretty impressive.

I stick with a crust recipe that has an egg and white vinegar, but comes out tender every time. makes a full pie (two half crusts)

3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons white sugar
1 ½ cup shortening
1 egg
1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
4 tablespoons water ( + 1 if needed)

cut shortening into flour until maybe pea sized chunks.
combine egg, sugar, salt, vinegar, and 4 tablespoons of water.
add to flour mixture and the mix until dough forms a ball.
rest in refrigerator 10 minutes before rolling out, wrapped in plastic wrap (which I use to keep from sticking to the rolling pin).
Old 06-27-2014, 09:59 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Happy Friday Weekenders!

I am loving all the foodness.
I was going to go on a road trip tomorrow, but I think that has been cancelled. So now I need to figure out what to cook. Fortunately I have a whole thread of ideas!
nmd, I am writing down that crust recipe and I might just try it. Although I am a pretty good cook, I am not very good at baking. I can't be bothered with all the measuring and weighing. But with all the freshness of spring and summer, a good pie would be nice. As long as there was ice cream for the ala mode.

I hope everyone is doing well!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:18 PM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I just realized that I have been home alone all day, and that is something that has not happened in quite a while. For the past year or so my wife and daughter would not have allowed it because they would likely have come home and found me drinking and/or already drunk. They didn't announce what they were doing (keeping an eye on me), but I knew what was going on. It was somewhat annoying at times, but they meant well. Who knows, they may have even prevented an episode or two.

I rather like being home alone. I wouldn't want to do it all the time, but it's been nice getting things done without interruption. Nice to feel trusted again, too.

Mrs Non is going to a work friend's birthday party after work. Thankfully, I am not being dragged along. All they do is talk about their work - which I find quite boring. She may have some wine while she's there. I hope she does. She doesn't have a problem with it, but we don't keep any in the house because I have had decades of problems with it, so she goes without for my benefit.

I'll know when she gets home. If I get a big kiss it means she hasn't had any and is checking my breath to see if I have. If I don't get a big kiss it means she has had some and doesn't want me to smell it on her breath.

It's called marriage.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:45 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  

And now, a little cooking-related ditty featuring one of my all-time favorite actors:

Old 06-27-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

In the absence of any World Cup football today, anyone else having withdrawals?!!

Not to worry, there's always Glastonbury to fill the void?!!
Old 06-27-2014, 02:00 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Hmm, "World Cup" -- I think I heard something about that recently.

Watching the rest of "Lewis" seasons 4 and 5 this weekend before it goes off Netflix -- and then I'll be having Lewis-and-Hathaway withdrawals.
Old 06-27-2014, 02:27 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Taking a brief break while writing my performance self evaluation. I'm awesome, you want to keep me as an employee forever, I'm smarter than Einstein, etc. etc.

Brain, I do still remember my mother's expression. It was pretty good. Everything sounds yummy except the canned dog food.

Non, I would follow what Fandy says regarding the gardenia. trim back the dead wood, fertilize and cross your fingers.

I have to get back to my writing project.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:19 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

My mom was a very good baker. She'd bake on Saturday mornings. As a kid I helped her a lot with that. I'd get to operate the mixer and roll dough and stuff. She'd let me make milk pies with the leftover dough. Little 5" pie pans with pie crust, milk, sugar, a pat of butter and some cinnamon sprinkled on top.
Old 06-27-2014, 04:43 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Another postcard intermission!

This one came all the way via Spain and London!!! Sent by Cowgirlie. Thank you so much!!!!
Now Gibraltar is on my list to see!

(I need to work on my photographic reproductions. :| )
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image-713819328.jpg (82.6 KB, 49 views)
Old 06-27-2014, 04:53 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Omg. Read this thread hungry. Gotta go! :-)
Old 06-27-2014, 06:46 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tiptree View Post
MeeFree - it was my H who is a super picky eater ( man never ate a green vegetable before we met). Took awhile before he found it as amusing as I did I'm waiting for him to mistake the freshpet loaf for pate

This is a man who as a little boy took his sister's twinkly cupcake, sucked out the cream and replaced it with crisco (lard). His sister didn't eat her cupcake that night and left it on the counter. His mom put the cupcake in his lunch bag. He nearly finished it before he realized his mistake. Mom had to pick him up at school cuz the little s*** got sick all over the lunch room.
Oh hahaha that is hilarious!!!! The ultimate prank backfire lol.

This reminds me of a prank we played on a substitute art teacher who was really mean in high school. Every lunch he made 2 minute noodles with the kettle in his office. He also always used lip balm that looked white in the pot but looked clear on the lips. We put purple crayon shavings in the kettle so he ended up with purple 2 minute noodles and put white paint in the lip balm so he was walking around with white lips without knowing - hahahHa. I was so naughty in high school
Old 06-27-2014, 06:50 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Relaxing inside the house with the air conditioning running. I hate it because it's loud, no central air. But after being cool and pleasant yesterday it's 88 and horribly humid today.

Of course, it is a matter of perspective. It could be this:

Nice postcard of Gibraltar. I think it would be a cool place to see. Thanks Olive for the postcard project. And thanks everyone for mailing them to Olive.

Kids looking mighty sleepy. They say they were bored at camp today but they seem mighty worn out. I will get them off to bed and read my new Bon Appetit magazine which coincidentally came in the mail today on food fest weekend here on the thread.

I've had a rough week emotionally and today I am feeling better. I went to my 7:00 meeting and realized I'm not alone in feeling yucky this week. There were almost forty people there tonight. Way, way more than usual. It was a good topic...asking for and accepting help and recognizing road blocks on why we don't. Because we all need it even if we don't want to admit it.