Notices

Cooking up a storm weekender Jun 27-29

Old 06-26-2014, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Arrow Cooking up a storm weekender Jun 27-29

I got a message from LBrain this week... Hey weasel! What about a cooking theme for the weekender... was the gist.

The funny thing about the suggestion was that I had already felt like a good cooking weekend thread was in order. The team seems to move in that direction while taking a hard right at Bacon Boulevard most weekends.

Plus maybe we can get some new ideas before the big long July 4th weekender thread. Which BTW I have off starting Thursday July 3rd. Do we want to start it late Wednesday or early Thursday? Let me know if you have a preference.

As for this weekend... Maybe one of these will be fun to share...

Tell us about your favorite thing to eat.

Tell us about your favorite thing to cook.

Tell us about the best thing you ever eat.

Tell us about the worst thing you ever cooked.

Or maybe even a funny story about food.

If anyone has a food addiction we apologize in advance...

Let's have some fun while we stay sober!
Old 06-26-2014, 08:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

why Lobster tails and claws with drawn butter of couse along with King Crab legs....and a nice rare rib eye, fresh corn on the cob with a cherry tomato/cucumber salad.
the best beverage to accompany this is tall bubbled seltzer garnished with a big strawberry and lemon wedge...(to cleanse the palate), snork
Old 06-26-2014, 10:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am in for the Weekend!!!!
And I am all for late Wednesday Weekender start next weekend!

I will have a postcard intermission coming up shortly!

Thank you Weasel!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 10:24 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm in! I will have an easy time staying sober since I will be incarcerated for most of it lol
(even if I wasn't, I'd still be in!)
Old 06-26-2014, 10:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A funny food story....

I am color blind... Like blues and purples... Yellow and oranges ... greens and reds... Uggggh. So when I check food for being good I have some issues. I have strick food storage rules in my house.

Likewise I have a hard time telling if food is done since I cannot see the actual color of the meat.

I was a teen and was making a sandwich for my new boyfriend and his ex.... I could not see the fine layer of green mold on the bread and served them moldy sandwiches.... Of which they eat half before the caught it on the inside of the sandwiches... I laughed so damn hard! They were not pleased.

Anyone coming for dinner????
Old 06-26-2014, 10:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I love PHO. I am slightly addicted, ok majorly addicted.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

food

Well, I love lobster in butter. What a wonderful idea.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:49 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

and the winner is...

thanks for the props weasel. I was called into duty to make a broccoli salad for my sister's b-day party. Never made one. But after looking at a few recipes it seems hard to not make the best one ever. Seems that they all use broccoli in the ingredients. But if anyone has the killer broc salad rep, let me know.

Here's one for you grill kings. My take on the Philly cheese steak. It wins awards every time I make them. Both times!

THE STEAK SANDWICH – BRAIN STYLE
1 LB FLANK STEAK – everyone else use the wonderful metric system of weights and measures.
You can tenderize it slightly with a mallet or back of butcher knife edge – don’t kill it, it’s already dead.
Marinade it for about an hour.
Use lawry’s steak& chop marinade or make your own, even just a mix of spices, Worcestershire or even a steak sauce mixture. But marinade the sucker.

SET YOUR GRILL ON HELL.
Throw the flank on the grill and let it scorch for about a minute then flip it and do the same for another minute or so.
Lower heat on grill to med. Finish cooking until done to your taste turn it only a couple times. If it’s on the grill for ten minutes you probably already burned it way well done.

Optional : grill sliced bell peppers and onions – actually preferred.
Grill your peppers and onions with the steak. If you have one of those grill things for veggies use that. Spray it with PAM grill spray or something – or just wipe it with olive oil.

Let the meat sit for about ten minutes on a cutting board. Then slice it ACROSS the grain into nice sized pieces for a sandwich roll.

Get yerself some good 6” steak rolls, hoagie buns, even Kaiser rolls will work. But not the soft rolls like you get at hamburger shops or hot dog rolls - yech. A good bakery style sandwich roll!

Sliced smoked provolone – not too thin. Pepper jack or whatever cheese you fancy.
Crumbled goat cheese or some feta works too!

When your steak is ready to be sliced (as thin as you can), fire up the grill and toast your rolls inside only. Just get them hot enough to melt the cheese with a decent crunch.
Place the provolone on the rolls as soon as they come off the grill. Add the meat and peppers/onions.

Grab a couple napkins and some iced tea. Sit back and enjoy!
Figure 4 sandwiches per pound.

If you need to, add grilled bacon.

Last edited by LBrain; 06-26-2014 at 10:53 AM. Reason: added bacon
Old 06-26-2014, 10:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Thumbs up

Yee-Hah! Weasels weekend thread is here! Thanks Weasel. What a great surprise (every week I am so surprised to see that the weekend is almost here)!! Excellent suggestion LBrain.

My favorite food, bolded for for your viewing pleasure:

My very favorite food is carrots. Shredded carrots in a bowl with homemade red wine vinaigrette. Yum-yum. Pecans in anything. Fresh Medjool dates stuffed with walnuts is a food from Heaven itself. Pretty much any vegetable makes my list with the exception being zucchini. And wild salmon with just salt and pepper...must be wild and as fresh as possible.

Could not just stop with one. If stranded on a desert island I would choose carrots, pecans and avocados for sure. With the one condiment being red wine vinaigrette and a second condiment being Grey Poupon dijon mustard. Yum-yum.

Here for the weekend! Let the games begin.

*bacon
**Weasel, what a complete trip! I never thought of what cooking while color blind would be like.

Last edited by Verte; 06-26-2014 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added bacon as well
Old 06-26-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

hey verte, you must have been waiting impatiently for this

A chef in upstate NY asked me if he could use my sauteed carrot recipe for his restaurant after spending a weekend with us. True.
Carrots sliced into 1/8" strips 2-3" long. Saute high heat in grape seed oil until ALMOST tender - 2-3 minutes. Turn heat med-low Then add a little butter and raspberry vinaigrette and fresh tarragon leaves chopped small. Right at then end, give it just a little honey. Takes less than 5 minutes start to plate. You'll have to experiment - they should be a little al dente.
Raise the heat and give it a few shakes to blend the flavors. Serve steaming hot.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm in baby!
Old 06-26-2014, 11:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I freakin' love food! I don't eat grains, sugar, dairy, or legumes, and even though my diet seems limited it's really not. One of my all time favorite things to eat is tostones. Fried green plantains all hot and crispy with salt...Oh. My. God. I could eat them every day and usually do. I love fried yuca too.

I love all things meat (no that's not a pervy joke). Steak, hamburgers, ribs, wings, bacon in and on everything. Poultry is ok in a pinch. Love all seafood, especially a big slab of raw tuna. My other favorite foods in no particular order are arugula with olive oil, eggs any way with hot sauce, cherries, watermelon, mangoes, chicharones (ilovethemsomuch!), butternut hummus...did I mention I freakin' love food?

I have a thing for emulsions. I love making them and I love eating them on everything. I make an aioli, hollandaise, or béarnaise at least twice a week.

I love to cook and since 4 very large males live here, I am always in the kitchen. I became a good cook watching my mom. She was a single mom (just like me now) and she could make an entire amazing meal out of whatever was cheap and on-hand in the pantry. She was like the Macguyver of food.

I also love to bake. I'm always making something sweet even though I don't eat it. I enjoy making pie crust from scratch and sweet breads. Non, you will be glad to know that two of my most sought after treats are bacon cheesecake and bacon cupcakes with peanut butter icing. My next experiment is going to be be bacon fudge.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Yummy yum yum yum! Reading this thread is making me hungry already.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I love the chicken from the halal food trucks in the city, seasoned perfectly, juicy, wrapped in a soft pita with lettuce, red cabbage and smothered in yogurt and hot sauce. The combination exceeds the sum of its parts ( was my favorite hangover food). I also love a perfectly roasted chicken. Has to be a good quality chicken, air chilled preferably. We like to brine our chicken and pork. Keeps it tender. Also like the nutty taste of good aged beef. Its a wonderful thing.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:40 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

A magic mix of yeast, salt, flour and water. High hydration and delayed fermentation makes a classic ciabatta loaf.
Old 06-26-2014, 12:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
Non, you will be glad to know that two of my most sought after treats are bacon cheesecake and bacon cupcakes with peanut butter icing. My next experiment is going to be be bacon fudge.
You had me at "tostones".
Old 06-26-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It was practically raining SPAM earlier, so I was thinking Imperial Spam Fiesta Tacos ...

My favorite food is probably potatoes, served any way.

I'm mostly a microwave chef these days except to make rice or pasta dishes because I spent too many years drinking wine all evening while prepping dinner.

Very nice culinary reading in the thread so far.
Old 06-26-2014, 01:00 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Now that its summer, and feels like summer, we've been making panzanella salads with home-made sour dough croutons, ripe plum tomatoes, good aged provalone, and lots of fresh basil in a garlic vinagarette. This is a perfect lunch or side dish. I may try adding calamata olives and/or panchetta, maybe even crumbled bacon for a dinner version. Favorite drink right now is an organic root beer syrup from the farmers market that I mix with pelligrino. It has a depth of flavor that's amazing, tastes like an adult drink. Shuts my AV right up!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soberlicious View Post
I love all things meat (no that's not a pervy joke).
I happen to love tubular meats! Hot dogs... Wow... I have made it a mission to try all kinds. Here in Maine they have a known brand that is red. In New York they have Sargrett's and Nathan's.

In New Jersey they deep fry the dogs and call them Texas wieners with chili and everything. I am a ketchup only guy.

And being Italian don't even get me started on all the types of sausage.

Fuhgettaboutit!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2014, 01:32 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I'm a profesional vegetable farmer. We grow small fruit as well. This time of year I just gorge myself with stuff like peas and beans and strawberries. It's blueberry season; so I'm currently eating, without exaggeration, a gallon of blueberries a day.