Notices

Cooking up a storm weekender Jun 27-29

Old 06-27-2014, 01:00 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Morning all, arrived at work and getting my coffee on, but with all this talk about food, I'm starving and it's only 9am!!

If I had to pick my favourite food it would be avocados, I used to joke that if I ever got to heaven and there were no avocados, I would be asking for a refund on this whole life thing!!

Anyways I haven't decided what I'm cooking this evening or over the weekend, plenty of time yet to get my thinking cap on, I'll kepp you all posted, not much planned for the weekend, working tomorrow, and then it's all about the last 16 of the World Cup!!

Let's do this Weekenders!!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:12 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Hi Ken! Hi Whee! kenders! I'm in please.

I love to cook, I cook most weekends, most nights unless we go out for a meal. I like savoury cooking more than baking but I do bake a little.

Tell us about your favorite thing to eat: y'all will shout me down but vegetables and fruit are my favourite. I do like a good homemade pizza, bacon that my butcher smokes himself and green smoothies. But I don't like bacon in my green smoothies.

Tell us about your favorite thing to cook. Hands down bread -- wholemeal or sourdough.

Tell us about the best thing you ever eat. Roast duck with roast peaches in a balsamic vinaigrette.

Tell us about the worst thing you ever cooked. Take your pick: a casserole that curdled when I added the cream, the cake that was raw in the middle, the soup that burned.

Or maybe even a funny story about food. I cooked my first turkey one Christmas, my father-in-law was cutting it up and guess what he found inside? Yep, a plastic bag full of innards.
Old 06-27-2014, 01:21 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Tell us about your favorite thing to eat.

Italian food - pizza, pasta yum!

Tell us about your favorite thing to cook.

I love making a full Sunday roast. Or soup lol

Tell us about the best thing you ever eat.

Pumpkin ravioli the night I got engaged

Tell us about the worst thing you ever cooked.

Shortbread.

Or maybe even a funny story about food.

I heard one the other day but it is not suitable for a forum lol!!!!
Old 06-27-2014, 01:29 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Great thread - I've recently gone vegetarian so I'll be experimenting with some new dishes. I'm planning on Mediterranean vegetable bake tonight

Funniest/stupidest cooking experience for me was my soft boiled egg had gone cold because I was interrupted before I could eat it. I put it in the microwave (top off) for about 3 seconds just to warm it a little and I know eggs do weird things in microwaves.

Anyway I got it out and the White had puffed up a bit on top. I stuck my spoon in and the egg exploded!! It went everywhere including all over my face!! I yelped out of shock then was in fits of laughter!!! Luckily it was only warm
Old 06-27-2014, 02:57 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Welcome meefree... We love vegetarians too! Even Non will agree.

Yeah!!!!!!!!! Tomorrow morning is my sea kayaking class. Could you image last summer I could never have done this. I could never in a million years be able to make a Saturday morning plan that I could keep. I would have made the arrangements and then paid the no show fee and felt horrible about myself.

That's one thing I am loving. I can execute a plan. And I made this plan two weeks ago!!!!!

Off to work.... I think I will sit around and socialize today at work. To nice out so maybe sit in the courtyard and do my "work" with a tea. The place I work has a really beautiful setting so it's park like. Get some extra vitamin D. Lol

BTW.. Officially on a diet.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I'm officially off my diet now that Dollyangels posted her pics! POST ANYTIME, DA!

Favorite foods: eggplant parmigiana, zucchini lasagne, chicken divan with curry and asparagus.

Favorite thing to cook: Chili (enough to feed an army), white chicken chili (enough to feed an army), and my aunt Helen's Italian recipe for spaghetti and meatballs (The secret to delicious sauce is PORK!).

Favorite thing I ever ate: Las Vegas Pizza at my high school graduation (from West Chester, PA).

Worst thing I ever cooked and funny story: I've burnt a lot of things, and my bread always comes out like a rock; but MeeFreee jogged my memory to the worst thing. I was making hard boiled eggs on the stove. My toddler son was sitting in his high chair in the kitchen eating cheerios. The older kids were going in and out, keeping an eye on him. I was off doing stuff and totally forgot about the eggs. The pot boiled dry.

Before I knew it, I heard an odd popping sound: the eggs had exploded and splattered all over the kitchen, including the light fixtures and the ceiling! My little son was totally mesmerized, looking at the ceiling! I'm glad it didn't scare him to death!
Old 06-27-2014, 03:34 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Welcome meefree... We love vegetarians too! Even Non will agree.
Indeed - more bacon for me. You should all be vegetarians!

Here's how silly things get at the Non household. The tale of the 'tater:

About 7 years ago Mrs Non was sitting on the couch and I was in the kitchen. For some reason I pretended I was going to throw a potato at her- just a jest. She smiled and went back to her reading. I then tossed the potato so that it would land near her on the couch. Which it did - but as dumb luck would have it the stupid thing bounced perfectly off the sofa cushion and hit her right in the cheek. Not hard, but it shocked her and she fired that potato back at me in an adrenaline fueled rage. It missed and smoooshed on the wall.

Since then there have been many potato pranks to commemorate the original event. A few weeks ago I had a hankerin' for a root beer float. I made Mrs. Non one, too, but I put a small potato in the bottom of her glass, which she found at the end of her snack.

This morning I stuck my foot in my boot and it wouldn't fit because there was a potato in there already! Now I have a bad case of potay-toes!

Just another sober day in Wonderland.
Old 06-27-2014, 03:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nonsensical View Post
Now I have a bad case of potay-toes!
Haha I just can't handle it!!
Old 06-27-2014, 04:47 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Word to the wise, if you buy doggie biscuits that look like delicious cookies, label them!
Old 06-27-2014, 05:08 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Oh hahaha Tiptree!!! Was it you or someone else??
Old 06-27-2014, 05:15 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I tried something called a "Doggie Donut" when I was in fourth grade. It was vile.

My adult daughters tried organic dog biscuits. They claimed they were not too bad.
Old 06-27-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Tiptree View Post
Word to the wise, if you buy doggie biscuits that look like delicious cookies, label them!
They were delicious. I will not be shamed!

Decided to put some cabinet doors on the front of the rolling cabinets I built 2weekends ago. The drawers are functional, but not pretty. Seems fairly low impact on my stitches issue. Plus I get to play with one of my favorite toys- the router table!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cabinets.JPG (86.2 KB, 51 views)
Old 06-27-2014, 05:41 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

That blue thang is my router table. In the foreground are the rails and stiles I already cut, laying on my saw. Assembly after breakfast, then I can go buy some hinges and mount them on the cabinets after lunch when the glue is dry.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rails.jpg (43.9 KB, 50 views)
Old 06-27-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Gilmer, All this talk of dog biscuits reminded me that Whenever my brother and I would visit our grandmother as very small children we would eat the milkbone dog biscuits she had as treats for my aunt's dog. From what I remember they didn't taste like much. And obviously we didn't die from them. In retrospect, there were probably better teething biscuits around.

I can't remember anything that I've made that was so awful I couldn't eat it. And I've cracked hard boiled eggs while cooking them but never exploded them. The worst thing I didn't eat was something my dad made. My dad once made mashed potatoes and wanted to put bacon in them. Not having bacon, he put liver in them instead. The potatoes were gray and gluey with the distinct taste of liver. My mother looked at them, took a taste and told us, for the first time ever, that we didn't have to eat them if we didn't want. I will eat a lot of things and try most but I just cannot eat liver.

I do have to do something this weekend involving basil. Despite all the rain and cold we've had mine is growing out of control and going to seed so I have to prune it back or it will be gone by the middle of summer.

With the talk of food, I must get lunches ready for everyone today. Excited that it's Friday. Debating taking the kids to the museum this weekend. I unexpectedly ran into my brother at the train station yesterday and broached the subject of including his kids too. Have a great day everyone!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:08 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

MeeFree - it was my H who is a super picky eater ( man never ate a green vegetable before we met). Took awhile before he found it as amusing as I did I'm waiting for him to mistake the freshpet loaf for pate

This is a man who as a little boy took his sister's twinkly cupcake, sucked out the cream and replaced it with crisco (lard). His sister didn't eat her cupcake that night and left it on the counter. His mom put the cupcake in his lunch bag. He nearly finished it before he realized his mistake. Mom had to pick him up at school cuz the little s*** got sick all over the lunch room.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:12 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

When my oldest son was about 9 months old, he crawled up to the dog bowl at my mother-in-law's house. We followed him into the kitchen, and found him cramming fistfuls of canned dog food into his mouth! He was even getting into it with his toes. My mother-in-law and I grabbed him and pulled him away and started wiping off both ends.

We put him back in the living room and, sitting in the middle of the floor like a potentate, he smiled and gave forth a big, satisfied belch!
Old 06-27-2014, 06:18 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Ah...the cronut. Yes, a NYC fad from a little over a year ago. A baker invented it, and it's a cross between a croissant and a donut. After reading about the popularity of them, I had to try them at home because there was no way I was getting in line at 4:00 AM at this bakery, and no way I was spending $1,000 for one like some other idiots (I mean I love food, but please people....it's a pastry!).

They are worth the time and effort to make the homemade puff pastry they are made from. Seriously...WOW!

My day of cooking each week is Sunday...I usually make a special meal (doesn't always have to be fancy...i.e., a kick ass burger) and dessert because it's the only day my family can sit down to a meal together.

I love to do homemade versions of store bought goodies...recently made homemade Mallowmars, Hostess Ring Dings etc.:-)
Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I love to do homemade versions of store bought goodies...recently made homemade Mallowmars, Hostess Ring Dings etc.:-)
Me too, Dolly! I recently made the homemade version of Samoa Girl Scout Cookies using this recipe.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:37 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recipe link Soberlicious!!! Will have to try those for sure:-)
Old 06-27-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

They say laughter is the best medicine. Well I got many doses of medicine this morning.
Belly laughing over exploding eggs. The potato wars at the Non ranch. And more.

Ruby - you don't have to eat that if you don't want... priceless. I can just picture her face when she said it.

As for leaving the giblets inside the turkey . I bet if you took a poll here - or across America - you'll be surprised at how many people have done that. Or maybe not.

Yesterday I cooked up some bacon because my sister sez broccoli salad must have crumbled bacon in it. Now I have to go get more bacon because, BECAUSE, you can't just leave bacon sitting on a paper plate cooling around here. Somebody ate it.

And dolly - I still want one of those hamburgers!

Last edited by LBrain; 06-27-2014 at 07:07 AM. Reason: hamburger