Notices

Hurting yourself while drunk.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

To many blows to the head to remember, caused by falling down continually. Got really good at taking out stitches and staples. While in a 90 day treatment facility I left, got drunk and woke up in hospital with BAC of .48 and yes more staples in head. Broken nose from falling on ice and landing on camera. Black eyes and bruises from running into things, but don't remember what things. Seperated AC Joint. But the one I'll never forget is when I was drunk and my foot was run over by a 2 ton forklift. Thank God I still have my foot. Just plain stupidity! Glad to be sober 2 months!!
Old 03-15-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Yup, I got a few too.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Around my house they are called ARI's. alcohol related incidents.

Many.....
Around my house they're known as "your father was drunk again."
Old 03-15-2013, 10:31 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Oh yeah, too many to name.

Not only does alcohol account for more bruising from falling and knocking around and whatnot, excessive alcohol consumption causes one to bruise easier in general.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
cb1

one night I "awoke" from a blackout and had blood on my shirt. I had a gash wound on my head. I still til this day have no idea how it got there.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I can't recall hurting myself, but I would definitely wake up with aches and pains. I never understood what it was, maybe the drunken gait or the way you walk when impaired, but it always felt like I had hiked over a mountain and back.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I knew I couldn't be the only one with battle wounds. Its amazing how much we go through before quitting. Haven't even gotten started on the emotional battle wounds! I'll leave that for another thread!
Old 03-15-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I definitely know this all to well...

It got to the point where when I got up in the morning I would check for bruises, scrapes, etc just to figure out if I may have possibly gotten black out drunk the night before.

I used this as a way to try to determine if I may have done anything that I might need to apologize to my husband for when he woke up (as I am a really mean drunk like many).

Just one more reason I am fighting for sobriety!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Memories

Originally Posted by kiki26 View Post
Anyone else have any battle wounds due to drinking?
Yah, Jumped a 8ft fence to go swimming in a closed pool at an apt complex when I was 22 and landed on my heels barefoot. crushed my heels and was laid up for months in a wheelchair.

Broke my wrist falling off a barstool trying to catch popcorn in my mouth being tossed to me from a stranger.

Lost my balance and fell back into a brick wall and split my head open.

Ran into the corner of a wall playing tag at a house party and woke up with a 6 inch bruise on my arm. Don't remember, was told about it by someone else the next day.

Memories, like the corners of my mind, much to painful to remember, of the way we were! haha! (Barbara Streisand song)
Old 03-15-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
The usual broken bones (and promises).

I managed to dodge the worst battle scar by surrendering to AA. That scar would have been .38 cal.

All the best.

Bob R
whoah! so glad u dodged that. Did u know deek means to dodge.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:16 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by wiscsober View Post
No scars but obese with neuropathy...recovered from a brain injury after hitting a train...recovered from a collapsed lung after OD. Kept on drinking.

Emotional bottoms with my children turning point to putting down the bottle.
Did you hit the train or did it hit you? I am glad you are ok now!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

Originally Posted by cb1 View Post
one night I "awoke" from a blackout and had blood on my shirt. I had a gash wound on my head. I still til this day have no idea how it got there.
I'm really sorry for breaking that pot over your head. I was going to apologize but was so drunk I forgot about it.......
Old 03-15-2013, 10:11 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
I'm really sorry for breaking that pot over your head. I was going to apologize but was so drunk I forgot about it.......
Ha Ha ! That was gr8t you also forced me to sneak into that pool, (See my battle wounds) you are just a bad influence! haha! Have a good day!
Old 03-16-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Too many to count. Walking into just about anything and falling down - one runs out of plausible excuses after a while. A permanently messed up knee from skidding it open on concrete so many times. A few good blows to the head from falling off more than one bar chair straight backwards. A black eye the day before a huge presentation. A broken tailbone. A nice scar on my chin from slipping and catching it on the corner of a desk. Many, many more. Uuughhhhh.
Old 03-16-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Yow - a few years back, hit the corner of a nightstand, trying to get in and missing the bed - the blackest, purplest shiner I have ever seen on anyone - on me. It took forever to go away - 3 months of beautiful 'color changes' from deep purple, to reddish, greenish and yellows with greens in between! My husband refused to go anywhere with me as he did not want people thinking he beat me. (One trip to the grocery store and a bunch of dirty looks and that was it for months). I did get extra hot sauce at the drive through and plenty of people who felt sorry for me and treated me like a 'victim'. Victim of drunkness and a very sharp corner. People also believed my story that it was an 'accident' and of course I continued drinking.
Also many, many unexplained bruises every where
Old 03-16-2013, 02:42 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Lots and lots of unexplained bruises. I twisted my ankle crossing the street late one night after a pool party. Was heading to the passenger side of the car. Pitch dark. Skidded on my uncovered knees through gravel. My husband had to pick gravel out of my bloodied knees while I showered. Then I had to travel for work 2 days later. Walking like Frankenstein for days with blood seeping through my required khaki pants uniform all week. Charming.
Old 03-16-2013, 07:34 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Two years ago, I managed to stab myself in the achilles tendon with a broken beer bottle. I sh*t you not. Cast, crutches & all. I won't miss doing dumb crap like that! It still hurts sometimes!
Old 03-17-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Yep... a scar on my chin (small, but noticeable) from faceplanting on a bathroom tile floor. Self harm on my wrist that I'm very self conscious of, like 15 horizontal... I didn't think they'd leave a scar as they weren't that deep, as well as one vertical that was an actual determined attempt on my own life.

Punched a wall after a bad night and broke three of my fingers' bones (metacarpals). One was so bad that I needed to operate.

A fireworks rocket blew up in my face - splitting my lower lip wide open - I'm thankful for the people that helped me at the party and getting me to the ER asap. It hasn't really left a noticeable scar, and I'm glad that thing didn't hit my eye.

And... bruises, broken ribs and bones, etc - but they've healed on their own.

It all happened while I was drunk, of course...
Old 03-17-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Recognizes the Beast

Ended up wasted in a nightclub in Taiwan once. Not sure how I got there, but managed to get my hands on some E. Next thing I know, blood is streaming from my face, and I'm talking to paramedics in broken English saying "No police please".

Luckily enough they put me in a taxicab home. Had a nasty gash over my eye (thankfully didn't scar but took three months or so to go away) and a broken nose which never properly healed. To this day I speak in a unnecessarily whiny, nasally pitch because of it. Yet.....I didn't even miss a beat and was out drinking again within days.
Old 03-17-2013, 09:08 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I always seemed to be punching windows. Not the sharpest tool in the box when in a blackout.

Actually 'punching windows' would make a great name for a song!|