Notices

Hurting yourself while drunk.

Old 03-14-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hurting yourself while drunk.

I've been going over all the positive things happening to me since I quit drinking. I realized today I don't have bruises all over my arms and legs from falling and knocking into things while drunk. I had my fair share of injuries while wasted..... Knocking my front tooth out, breaking my arm at a bar, and a nice scar across my eyebrow just to name a few. I can let those scars remind me of where I have been and where I do not want to go back to! Anyone else have any battle wounds due to drinking?
Old 03-14-2013, 01:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

The usual broken bones (and promises).

I managed to dodge the worst battle scar by surrendering to AA. That scar would have been .38 cal.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 03-14-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

I hear you! I would wake up with bruises and think WTF. Foot hurt one time, walked into a wall and banged my front tooth. I certainly don't miss it!
Old 03-14-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Every Mother's Worst Nightmare

My "favorite" is coming round in a hospital bed having been beaten within an inch of my life by some cheery nightclub bouncers and left for dead in a dumpster. Found by a passer by who called the police. Boy did I milk that one for sympathy along the lines of "totally unprovoked attack - nothing to do with me - no idea who they were - they jumped me from behind." The only part of that that's true is the last bit.

My wife was at home with a new-born and frantic with worry. And the scary thing is I still went back to drinking.
Old 03-14-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Great Post!
Always good to remember the crap we put our body through.
My sister & I were such crazy drinkers, that we would often say
Have any "UPB's"

Yep, Unexplained Party Bruises!
On top of that I also dislocated my shoulder (still gives me trouble)
More than 1 black eye, tons of scrapes.
Thankfully nothing super major, and thats even after totaling my truck in a drunk driving accident.

I will not miss those days.
Old 03-14-2013, 05:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

sprained wrist (in black out, woke up to unmerciful pain) whilst on holiday in Canary Islands. Ended up in sling and returned home with tanned body and one white arm!

fell on face, big scab (had to pick scab off before returning to work and cover with make up), consequently I now have white patch of skin on my face permanently because I did not let it heal itself properly (by taking scab off)

constant bruising - mainly arms and legs

I have actually not thought this all out properly (that it all due to drink) until now
(denial denial denial)

Only sober a few weeks now and I keep looking at my non bruised legs (have not seen them without bruises in a few years)
Old 03-14-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well - besides my liver, cardio-vascular system and health in general?
Usually my shins and my toes took a beating from smashing them into things in my place. I liked the lights low and liked to be barefoot.
In fact the entire place took a beating from dropping stuff to just smashing things if they pissed me off when I was drunk.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I did a nice one last year. Went down to the wharf where my bf was fishing, had a massive go at him, three his fishing rod in the sea and ran along the wharf to get out of there. To this day I still don't know what really happened. I don't know if he pushed me or I tripped but as I was stumbling home ( only 50 metres away ) I knew I had hurt my hand but when I got under the street light I realised it was pouring blood. 6 hours at accident and emergency, 8 stiches later. I had managed to rip my pinky finger open from tip to base on the inside of it, oh and break it. I now have a bent finger and a massive lumpy scar. And the worst is I can only assume I ripped it open on an exposed nail on the rickety old wharf but I was too drunk to remember !
Incidently, while we're sharing , that is the second time I broke that finger. I came off my moped in Greece coming home from the bar and broke it years ago too.
Along with a couple of severely sprained ankles that still give way and I can't run on properly.
Tonnes of bruises. And lots of ripped jeans and skimmed knees.
Wow , just realised I havnt even thought about all the other injurys inflicted on me by my drunk partner while I was drunk too. Why ? Too horrid to think about but they are the worst ones. Two broken ribs, one broken wrist and a very broken heart. Sigh.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

many hundreds.

D
Old 03-14-2013, 09:44 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

The battle wounds that hurt the most were on my best friends.. Wrecked my best friends knee by rolling a golf cart on his leg.. he hasn't skiied since
broke his girlfriends hand by accident... drunken accident
Elbowed another good friend in the face, chipped his tooth
-And me... Broken nose and jaw from stupidly drunk bar fights

Yet those same friends are the ones who pressure me to drink most...uncanny
Old 03-14-2013, 09:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for this topic, it helps to remember...

Fell off a little footbridge, about three feet down, just enough to put a crack in my shoulder, spent the night in the ER and two months with a sling.

Also, passed out with my laptop on my bare legs and the heat ended up burning a spot on my knee, it blistered and the scar remains.

Fell on the ice and cracked off half of my front tooth.

and more unexplained bruises cuts and scrapes than I want to think about..
Old 03-14-2013, 10:05 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
All is Change

I lost my family and couldn't see my kids for six months. That hurt bad. Didn't stop me drinking.

I was living in a half built house and had blacked out and fell through the floor and broke three ribs and ripped a 4 inch scar in my leg on a nail. Brought me out of the blackout. The leg turned purple after a week as I thought it was only a scratch but it was a deep cut that looked like a scratch because the meat had splayed open and what I thought was scraped skin was exposed muscle. After a rather worrisome week in hospital the blood poisoning went and I went back, put up some barriers and kept drinking. The ribs hurt a lot for about three months.

Lots of of lesser hurts sustained and inflicted.

Done with booze now, lots of scars to remind me it is a good idea to not drink.
Old 03-15-2013, 12:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

The only wounds I got from drinking were on the inside. Overall I'd say I was pretty lucky considering how much and how long I drank.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Ha - I was just thinking about the lack of 'mystery bruises' these days on my own body! There's a mantle in my apartment that's about chest high, with some sharp corners on it - and every month I'd notice little bruises all over my rib cage because I bumped into it all the time while drunk at home. Another weird thing I did while drinking was scratch myself when I was passed out every night - like if there was a small scab on my elbow and I'd wake up with bloody sheets in the morning because I was picking at it in my sleep for some reason.

Another cool thing I've noticed is that when I do get a bruise, bump, injury, etc - the bruising doesn't look as nasty and I heal a lot faster. Now that spring is in the air I'm glad I'll be able to wear short-sleeved shirts when the weather gets better soon!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Me too Kiki! I was at my GP yesterday for a drink induced injury check up. 2 weeks ago I fell heavily onto my hip- against a table I think but I havent a clue! I have had a 6 inch black bruise since and it was so sore I thought I might have chipped a bone .. so went to my doctor for a check - thankfully its ok and it will just take time to heal. On the same night I must have banged my nose/face cos it felt like my nose was broken and I had several other unexplained bruises on my arms and legs. I have absolutely no memory of anything - what scared me was I could have fallen down stairs and cracked my head and died - this happened to a friend of my husband's and this is one of the reasons he doesn't want me like this. Anyway, its day 3 for me and I still have a very sore reminder of what can happened - which is probably not a bad thing!!
Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Massive scar on my bum - thought it would be hilarious to jump on a bag of rubbish in the street, didnt know for hours that I had a massive puncture wound on my left 'cheek'. Source of much hilarity at the time, but it was painful and I have a horrible scar on my otherwise peachy behind :-(
I woke up at the bottom of the stairs once in a heap with a lump on my head, otherwise just general bruises. A friend of mine got run over drunk and both her legs were broken xxx
Old 03-15-2013, 04:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Around my house they are called ARI's. alcohol related incidents.

Many.....
Old 03-15-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Cracked a rib last year last year when I fell on the stairs.

Fractured my skull when I fell off a bike about 10 years ago.

Bruises, yup, had a few of those.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

In college I decided it would be a good idea to sleep on the top bunk of a bunk bed that was in my dorm room that only I lived in (So there was no reason for me to sleep up there as I always slept on the bottom) I was super drunk...brillant idea. I woke up the next morning on the floor in a pool of blood. I must have rolled off the top bunk and I cracked my head open on the corner of a dresser. I had no idea how bad it was until i went to class later and started seeing spots in my vision. I went to the school nurse and she looked at the back of my head (I hadn't seen it) and said go to the ER right away. Ended up hitting my head so hard my brain smacked off my skull. I woke up blind in my right eye the next day b/c they said my optic nerve was bruised. Thank God I fully recovered....didn't learn my lesson though and continue to drink.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

No scars but obese with neuropathy...recovered from a brain injury after hitting a train...recovered from a collapsed lung after OD. Kept on drinking.

Emotional bottoms with my children turning point to putting down the bottle.