Notices

Hurting yourself while drunk.

Old 03-17-2013, 09:22 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ugh, I thought reading this thread before my weekend started would help me stay sober, but I was wrong and am now nursing a bruised hip bone from tripping on air and falling in my kitchen on Saturday night. Ah well, better the hip than the head, I guess.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:06 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Wow, had to go through and read all the posts again as a reminder. And then add one I forgot about, falling forward with a baby in my arms and landing on my knees, thank God the baby was fine, but my left knee cap swoll up and stayed puffy, filled with fluid for about two years. You know, it wasn't even my baby, I could have seriously injured someone else's kid and it didn't even bother me because she was okay.
Ugh..I have no idea why, but I managed to stay sober during the years my kids were little, it terrifies me to think what could have happened.
Old 03-18-2013, 10:08 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Change4Better View Post
Ugh, I thought reading this thread before my weekend started would help me stay sober, but I was wrong and am now nursing a bruised hip bone from tripping on air and falling in my kitchen on Saturday night. Ah well, better the hip than the head, I guess.
(((HUGS)))) hang in there, it DOES get better.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I broke my ankle

I am stopping drinking today. I woke up with a fractured ankle and no idea how it happened. I feel so ashamed. I dont understand whats wrong with me or why I drink everyday.
Old 09-19-2017, 08:55 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Welcome Hedgemaid.

This is a very old thread, you might want to start a new one and introduce yourself.

No worries though. I think my worst was falling on the toilet into the bathtub and breaking 4 ribs. I could have died.
Old 09-21-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Took the skin off my face (about a third of it) falling on a road.
Smashed my face off the side of the bathroom sink - black eye, burst lip and concussion. Right before my uni finals but still drank right the way through my exams.
Dived into the shallow end of a pool on holiday and burst my face open.
Most recently - fell into a barbed wire fence during a blackout and woke up with cuts, puncture wounds and scratches all over my hands, arms, back and legs. Also must have passed out on my front as my hands were numb then had pins and needles for two days. That night involved some other major humiliations too. That was six weeks ago and I finally realised, if I'm capable of doing that at 36 this is never going to end. Best thing that ever happened to me!

Great thread Kiki (though terrifying!). Hang in there hedge, it's totally worth it ☺
Old 09-21-2017, 12:51 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by kiki26 View Post
Thank you everyone for sharing your stories. I knew I couldn't be the only one with battle wounds. Its amazing how much we go through before quitting. Haven't even gotten started on the emotional battle wounds! I'll leave that for another thread!
Haha you let me know when you get the emotional battle wounds post going - I have some zingers for that thread!

I was lucky to never have anything more than bumps and bruises - thinking back I don't know how I didn't die.
Did have a friend once who fell down some stairs while blacked out. Woke up with a massive bruise on his side, but ignored it as I'm sure most of us would have. Ended up in the A&E two days later - as it turns out had been bleeding internally the whole time and almost died.

I do have quite the bruise on my left leg right now from my relapse the other night. That was one of the longest blackouts where I was out and functioning and don't remember. Looks like that bruise is going to be there for a week or two though!
Old 09-21-2017, 12:54 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
A fireworks rocket blew up in my face - splitting my lower lip wide open - I'm thankful for the people that helped me at the party and getting me to the ER asap. It hasn't really left a noticeable scar, and I'm glad that thing didn't hit my eye.
Oh wait! Fireworks! Forgot about that one.
Drank a whole bottle of 110 vodka on the 4th of July and decided to set off some bottle rockets but I didn't have any bottles so I just held them in my hand. Don't really remember it but my whole arm was burned.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:10 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome hedgemaid - sounds painful - I hope you recovery quickly.
D
Old 09-21-2017, 03:23 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Numerous face plants in various locations resulting in horrible bruises and wounds, the best being the time I chipped my 2 front teeth.

My fall this spring resulted in my fracturing my left arm in 4 places and pulling it out of my shoulder. Had to have shoulder replacement surgery which is the worst orthopedic surgery to recover from. My surgeon , who is a shoulder expert and done millions of shoulders, told me it's the worst he's ever seen. He is sharing my xrays with colleagues.

My latest? Fell flat on my back and fractured my spine. Still in pain and will be for a long time.

I have osteoporosis so I just cannot fall anymore, sobriety will help!
Old 09-21-2017, 03:27 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Plenty of these now I look back but didn't think anything was wrong with it at the time

Fell down a hill on holiday - bad scrapes gashes and bruises
Fell out of a hot tub - Cracked ribs
Last binge just fell over in the kitchen - smashed head on surface and badly bruised shoulder.

To name but a few of the many - when you look back that word "insanity" really begins to make a lot of sense.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:46 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

So many bruises and stupid things....will never forget trying to carry a heavy tv from the living room to my bedroom. Thought I was superwoman. But it was too heavy and I dropped it. That was the end of that tv and almost the end of my foot.
dumb things done while drunk...glad it's over.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

my story- own thread...hell.