Notices

Class of November 2011

Old 11-14-2011, 05:27 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

Well, Day 5. My partner (of a year and a half) and I just broke up mutually. The good thing is that I'm past the point where I would turn it into some sort of seriously dramatic event to excuse myself from drinking.

It's a shame we had to end, but in my eyes we weren't healthy for each other. We started off together as heavy drinkers and although she was able to pull back from that, I couldn't. I have to admit, she pretty much looked after me for that year and a half, and although we had good times, it just wasn't fair on her.

We were hoping that in time we might be able to give it another go, but over the past few weeks for me... I just couldn't see an eventuality where it would work for us. So I'm okay with it being over. And we're still friends, so gleaning the positives.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:29 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Good Morning Everyone! Day 4 here and even though the weather is crappy... I feel pretty good. Had to catch up on a heck of a lot of posts though Guess that's what happens when hubby is on the computer most of the day - lazing around... Oh well, it was a good weekend. Oh and he uses tonic water for leg cramps at night.... it's the quinine in it.

Keep up the great work everyone!
Old 11-14-2011, 06:28 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Happy Monday everyone! I have to confess, I slipped up over the weekend. Once again, I decided that I can drink normally. Yeah, right. So, that didn't work out too well, and yesterday was another awful day 1.
However, I'm determined to not give up and to just jump back on the horse, so to speak. I'm not going to beat myself up (too much) because that will just lead to me deciding to drink because I'm worthless anyway. So, onto day 2 and beyond. I'm taking today off work to re group and to get past these lingering feelings of shame, guilt, etc.

It's great to hear how good everyone is doing, I want to get back on track this time as well.
Old 11-14-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

samwitch - addicition is sneaky - quiet little voice that never has your best interests in mind.

Glad you are back on the train. Good for you - so this is Day 2 for you.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tigger41 View Post
Good Morning everyone.

Let's do a day count - 12 days and going strong. Yeah

My 6 year old decided to sleep with us last night and the 4 year old was up once but besides that had a good night () forgot the twins gym stuff so I have to run that off to school - so all-in-all a normal day.

My significant other found out her dad isn't going to make it many more days so we're dealing with a bit of sadness. She's going off to say her final good-byes and we'll probably follow in a few days (long drive from eastern PA to Western WV - about 10 hours via car). It's tough, but not unexpected, and is something we'll deal with - but sad. We haven't told the kids the extent of how bad Pop pop is but they're resilient.

Good morning Lovinit41, Alaska, InParticular, JustMeg, despairingsair, Berdant, Dee74, Cardinalfan, Bruman, Iris, JustMeg, Genie, Rhylian and Overthis. Sorry for anyone I forgot. Looks like we in November are going strong.

Post what day you're on!! Here's to another good week.
my count down muber is ..........8!!
Thank you one and all on this site, I have decided after years of trying , Im going to make this site work for me! Hugs to you all xx
Old 11-14-2011, 07:06 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by samwitch View Post
Happy Monday everyone! I have to confess, I slipped up over the weekend. Once again, I decided that I can drink normally. Yeah, right. So, that didn't work out too well, and yesterday was another awful day 1.
However, I'm determined to not give up and to just jump back on the horse, so to speak. I'm not going to beat myself up (too much) because that will just lead to me deciding to drink because I'm worthless anyway. So, onto day 2 and beyond. I'm taking today off work to re group and to get past these lingering feelings of shame, guilt, etc.

It's great to hear how good everyone is doing, I want to get back on track this time as well.
samwich...come on bord, were on a roll here and want you to ride along with us!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:09 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  

Good, yes, don't give up on yourself! Hold on to that motivation you had, you'll get back to how you were feeling in no time.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:14 AM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Hey Tigger, well done on 12 days - that's fantastic!

Sorry to hear of your bad news, but how wonderful that you are staying sober and taking care of your OH. I'm on Day 2, so not feeling great physically but glad to be mentally strong and in control.
Old 11-14-2011, 07:27 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Happy Monday! Samwich-don't feel bad-that frigging tricky AV is a nasty bugger. But you'll learn from this and not listen to him next time-right?

And I'm so proud of everyone on this thread for dealing with all the issues in our lives head-on and not hiding our heads in the sand and drinking. We are all better people for it! Healthier and happier.

Well I made it through a long weekend all alone as my bf was visiting a friend on Saltspring Island. Normally being left to my own devices for three days straight would have been a HUGE trigger. But I made so now I have 17 days sober. Woo hoo!

Have a great Monday everyone!
Old 11-14-2011, 08:29 AM
  # 230 (permalink)  

Count me in the Class of Nov. 2011

Well it has been 5 days now and it's going good. I have been a binge drinker since I was 15 or about 25 years now. Never had trouble quitting, but I always look forward to the next party, golf outing, wedding etc, etc. I usually don't drink during the week and often go 2 to 3 weeks without drinking and then make up for it the next time. Its tough, sometimes I can have 1 or 2 drinks and be fine or I can drink a case and still function but feel like crap in the morning. I have had 2 DUI's in the past and haven't had a drivers license in 9 years. The last DUI in 2002 I was on a tether for 90 days so I didn't drink, the longest period to date, but the day I got it off my buddies had a party for me at the bar. I am married now with a young toddler and am ready to get my life back on track. In order to get my license back I have to be sober for a year and join a recovery group. Not sure if AA is the answer, so I was wondering what options are available and your success with them. Also if anyone has had experience with DUi's and license restoration. Sorry about the long post, I just figured I would throw so background out there. I am glad I found this site, there is a lot of inspirational stories and support.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 231 (permalink)  

Happy Monday! Yesterday was great. Baked a cake..went kayaking for the first time in my life. That's nuts because I live on a lake!! It was so peaceful and a good workout. Hubby says he won't drink around me. I personally think it will be hard for him..but hopefully I can be a positive influance.

Day 14 for me. Great job everyone..and if you slipped up and you are back on sr then good for you. Such fantastic support here.

Lovinit: suggesting coffee with the friend is a great idea. If she gives you crap about not drinking then she really isn't that great of a friend. I am learning that myself..

I am also lying low with seeing my regular drinking buddies. They invited me over sat night and just told them the truth..staying home watching a movie. Easy enough. I am not quite ready to hang out with them yet.

InParticular: awesome job on 17 days!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:14 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InParticular View Post
Happy Monday! Samwich-don't feel bad-that frigging tricky AV is a nasty bugger. But you'll learn from this and not listen to him next time-right?

And I'm so proud of everyone on this thread for dealing with all the issues in our lives head-on and not hiding our heads in the sand and drinking. We are all better people for it! Healthier and happier.

Well I made it through a long weekend all alone as my bf was visiting a friend on Saltspring Island. Normally being left to my own devices for three days straight would have been a HUGE trigger. But I made so now I have 17 days sober. Woo hoo!

Have a great Monday everyone!
fantastic!!
Old 11-14-2011, 09:40 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Day 8 for me as well! It's been ok so far. My boyfriend threw out all the booze in the house for me last week and has agreed not to bring any in or drink around me. The only thing is is that I've been kind of nervous to leave the house much, especially after dark for fear of putting myself in the way of temptation. Have said no to most social invitations, and have just been hanging out with my dog. Hoping to change that today, going to visit my friend at her sushi restaurant for dinner. Hopefully I manage to keep my eyes on the prize and remember how great if feels to be sober, even only after 8 days!

Thanks to all of you for your words of welcome! I'm really glad to have found this site.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:47 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CMU07 View Post
Well it has been 5 days now and it's going good. I have been a binge drinker since I was 15 or about 25 years now. Never had trouble quitting, but I always look forward to the next party, golf outing, wedding etc, etc. I usually don't drink during the week and often go 2 to 3 weeks without drinking and then make up for it the next time. Its tough, sometimes I can have 1 or 2 drinks and be fine or I can drink a case and still function but feel like crap in the morning. I have had 2 DUI's in the past and haven't had a drivers license in 9 years. The last DUI in 2002 I was on a tether for 90 days so I didn't drink, the longest period to date, but the day I got it off my buddies had a party for me at the bar. I am married now with a young toddler and am ready to get my life back on track. In order to get my license back I have to be sober for a year and join a recovery group. Not sure if AA is the answer, so I was wondering what options are available and your success with them. Also if anyone has had experience with DUi's and license restoration. Sorry about the long post, I just figured I would throw so background out there. I am glad I found this site, there is a lot of inspirational stories and support.
Hi CM, welcome! What is a tether? I have had two dui's and did what I was suppose to and got my liscence back. Best feeling in the world!! That alone should keep me sober because if I get a third dui, I think it's like 10 years before I could even think about getting it back, and not being able to drive in Alaska in the winter is just NOT an option, as you could imagine.
So why are you not sure about AA?
Old 11-14-2011, 09:48 AM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Iris13 View Post
Day 8 for me as well! It's been ok so far. My boyfriend threw out all the booze in the house for me last week and has agreed not to bring any in or drink around me. The only thing is is that I've been kind of nervous to leave the house much, especially after dark for fear of putting myself in the way of temptation. Have said no to most social invitations, and have just been hanging out with my dog. Hoping to change that today, going to visit my friend at her sushi restaurant for dinner. Hopefully I manage to keep my eyes on the prize and remember how great if feels to be sober, even only after 8 days!

Thanks to all of you for your words of welcome! I'm really glad to have found this site.
Good luck tonight Iris....just look foreword to the great feeling you and I will have tomorrow , day 9!!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:21 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Day 5 update here - all going well, considering I've been up for 28 hours now and broke up with my girlfriend today, heh. As I posted previously though it was a mutual break-up and it was seriously for the best, so I'm positive rather than negative about it.

I just saw my counsellor as well - she was impressed with my attitude compared to other sessions we've had. I really think I have a handle on things this time. But then again, I've thought that before. At least I know now that my destiny is in my hands and my hands alone. That's the best feeling I've ever had. And considering that exact same feeling felt awful a few weeks ago, I think that's a positive thing.

Samwitch, I understand - before this day 5 I was nearly up to a month without. But I'm realizing that with every slip-up comes a certain new level of understanding, whether it be small or life-affirming. I truly feel I had the latter last week, and it takes time for us to understand our individual mechanisms in order to stop. But they are there, for all of us. So keep the faith we're all in this together!

And Iris, good luck tonight - it's a tough situation to come through but you'll feel so good when you get through it. And whatever happens, we're all here to help each other through, so go out with a smile on your face knowing you have support whatever happens.

Much love November-lings!
Old 11-14-2011, 10:22 AM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
Hi CM, welcome! What is a tether? I have had two dui's and did what I was suppose to and got my liscence back. Best feeling in the world!! That alone should keep me sober because if I get a third dui, I think it's like 10 years before I could even think about getting it back, and not being able to drive in Alaska in the winter is just NOT an option, as you could imagine.
So why are you not sure about AA?
Thetether was an electronic monitoring device on my ankle. I went to one AA meeting and it didn't feel right, but I guess I could give it another try. Yes a 3rd DUI would be bad, then you are talking about a felony. Congrats on getting your license back, I hope I can say that someday.
Old 11-14-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

I am late to the party... but I want to join. Today is the begining of Day 2. I feel much better today than I did yesterday.
The shakes and anxiety make me not want to wake up like that ever again. But it yet it happens too often.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  
Tea Drinker

Hi scared1, welcome to our party! Good to have you here. It's Day 2 for me as well, although evening as we're in different parts of the world. I haven't been feeling well today either but am telling myself that as long as I stick with it, I don't ever have to go through this again. So we can do this together
Iris1, good luck for tonight. Hope you have fun, and come back to let us know how your evening went.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:31 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Scared1 - you're right on time- welcome to the party. The first week was tough for me then it got better. Hang in there. Post often so we know how you're doing.

Good luck Iris13 - I know you can do it. Just say I am not going to drink tonight. Just tonight I'm not going to drink - one minute at a time. When you don't drink tonight tomorrow morning will be Day 9!!