Notices

Class of November 2011

Old 11-03-2011, 08:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Administrator

Class of November 2011

If you're trying to quit alcohol and/or drugs this month, come and share, and find support with others in the same boat

Welcome everyone!

D
Old 11-04-2011, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

November 4th, 2011

Thank you Dee for starting this month's class!!
I was in the class of August, then September and then October, 2011. Slipped yesterday after reaching 30 days. Not sure, but for some reason, I can't seem to make it past 30. Have been dancing this dance for 5 years now. :-(
So I am now officially in the class of November 2011 and looks like I am the first member. YeeHawww.
Old 11-04-2011, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

I think a willingness is keep coming back is half the battle alaska - I know it was for me for sure

D
Old 11-04-2011, 05:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took my last drink on 10/22, and didn't plan on quitting. I had been really behind on work and was working excessively long hours due to harvesting crops. On day 6, I started to have these prickly pains in my legs, back and arms, as well as really hot feet. These prickly pains and hot feet have been eratic in onset and duration. These have persisted for the past week, never getting very bad, but very annoying. I've had a few moments where I could not focus on my computer screen for more than 30 seconds or so. I was thinking about having drink to see if this cause these sensations to stop, but decided not to take another drink.

So, I went to my doctor, who i've been less than truthful with, and he asked me when I had my last drink, and also asked how much I drank. He is my neighbor, and I was a little nervous about leveling with him. Well I told him the truth. He told me to give it 30 days and if this is still going on, he'll do some tests to check for other things. He warned me on how quitting w/o help is dangerous, and told me to him posted and come back in I need to. Told me to make sure I ate a good diet and had me start a multi-vitamin.

I'm starting to feel more coherent and getting much more work done. Just wish the pricky pain stuff was over. Day 13 is a good one.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi and welcome fraggy

I have the prickly pain stuff too (from a preexisting medical condition)...it is very annoying.
I hope yours dissipates soon

D
Old 11-04-2011, 07:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Count me in. My last drink was last Friday, so one week today and no end of week(like I ever waited till end of week but I digress) drinks which is kind of a big deal. Just cooking a nice meal with bf and hanging at home. Was definitely thinking about picking up a bottle of wine on the way home and also of a gin and tonic once home but made a big smoothie instead and that helped and seemed to do the trick. Eating healthy is definitely helping me; feeling good in general makes me want to keep it going.

Hope everyone is feeling good and strong heading into the weekend. We can do it together!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome InParticular and Fraggy!
Old 11-04-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
Thank you Dee for starting this month's class!!
I was in the class of August, then September and then October, 2011. Slipped yesterday after reaching 30 days. Not sure, but for some reason, I can't seem to make it past 30. Have been dancing this dance for 5 years now. :-(
So I am now officially in the class of November 2011 and looks like I am the first member. YeeHawww.
I had a really hard time getting past 30 days too, fortunately things got much easier for me after 30, but that was also partially due to many changes I made to support my sobriety.

Here's hoping that your sobriety sticks this time around.
Old 11-04-2011, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

What kinds of changes did you make Joshua?

For me-I'm trying to get out of the habit of hanging around at home by myself, and of needing to go to bars to socialize.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:03 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Here's something I posted on another thread about the changes I made in my life:

It started by deciding to go to rehab.
-Went to rehab for 30 days. Insurance didn't pay for it, otherwise I would have gone for 90.
-Moved back in with my parents semi-temporarily -- most of my stuff is in storage so I'm kind of living out of a suitcase.
-Started meeting with a therapist weekly. Therapist specialized in addiction and recommended that I attend 3 meetings per week.
-Started meeting with a psychiatrist monthly to deal with unresolved mental health issues.
-Found 3 meetings to attend, one of which is a step group through Celebrate Recovery, where I am working the 12 steps with a group.
-Asked several recovering addicts to be "accountability partners", rather than a sponsor (although I'm not opposed to the idea of sponsorship)
-Started reading books about recovery and depression.
-Started going back to church.
-Broke off all ties with past drinking buddies.
-Started posting regularly on SR.
It looks like a lot but really it didn't even feel like it, since I just took it one step at a time and with a lot of help from others.

I tried many times to quit in the year prior and was very unsuccessful. Oddly enough, I think that my drinking did more damage to me and my relationships in the year I was trying to quit drinking and continually relapsing than it did the whole time before that.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hello everybody, I'd love to join the class of November !

My last drink was on Sunday. Two bottles of red wine, passed out on the sofa, woke up at about 5am - still half cut - and had to be at work at 8am. I took a sick day and decided that enough was enough.

Looking forward to getting to know you all.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Class of Nov. 2011 count me in. I've not gone more than a day without a drink for almost 2 years, and been battling substance abuse of some kind for over 10. The worst part is not knowing the man I may have become if I hadn't been abusing drugs during some of the most pivotal points of brain development in adolescence. I can vaguely remember being this happy, sociable, outgoing kid, and I have now become this hollow, short tempered, uncaring @ss.
Heres a glass of water toast to a sober holiday season.
Old 11-05-2011, 03:24 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Joining this thread too. Day 5 for me today...third time around. The longest I have been without a drink since I was about 15yo is 44 days and that was 2010. I am 45. Feeling great this Sat morning without a HO! Trying to plan my day and keep busy so that that little voice in my head doesn't tell me its ok to have a drink. I hate that voice...my addictive voice I think they call it.

Last pm after work was hard...usually the start of a weekend binge. I was a little crabby. Made two or three hot teas and went to bed early. I wasn't too social with the hubby..he was drinking his usual beers in consecutive order...I wish he would stop with me..but he doesn't think he has a problem. I can only fix me, right?

Looking forward to getting to know you all. Have a blessed day.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pipedreamer View Post
Class of Nov. 2011 count me in. I've not gone more than a day without a drink for almost 2 years, and been battling substance abuse of some kind for over 10. The worst part is not knowing the man I may have become if I hadn't been abusing drugs during some of the most pivotal points of brain development in adolescence. I can vaguely remember being this happy, sociable, outgoing kid, and I have now become this hollow, short tempered, uncaring @ss.
Heres a glass of water toast to a sober holiday season.
My friends have told me that I am not very "collegial." The reality is that they bug the heck out of me, or is it the alcohol that has been bugging the heck out of me. I'm waiting to see if they tell me that I've changed at some point down the line. This is one of the things I am looking forward to....
Old 11-05-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day 8. Up early, feeling sort of crap. Big surprise birthday party for a friend tonight. Feeling good, have my plan, going to keep a club soda or whatever in my hand at all times so no one offers me a drink. (I hate that). The hostess is being told that I'm not drinking. They're very good hosts; are constantly giving you drinks so I think that is a good idea although slightly embarrassing but I hate the awkwardness of turning down drinks in front of people- big, blinking sign on my head: "I'M AN ALCOHOLIC!!!!"
Old 11-05-2011, 08:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InParticular View Post
Day 8. Up early, feeling sort of crap. Big surprise birthday party for a friend tonight. Feeling good, have my plan, going to keep a club soda or whatever in my hand at all times so no one offers me a drink. (I hate that). The hostess is being told that I'm not drinking. They're very good hosts; are constantly giving you drinks so I think that is a good idea although slightly embarrassing but I hate the awkwardness of turning down drinks in front of people- big, blinking sign on my head: "I'M AN ALCOHOLIC!!!!"
I'll be pulling for you on this one.

About 10 years ago I worked with a guy that was constantly walking around the party with a high-ball glass 2/3 full of an amber liquid. He'd be sipping on it all night long, and never ever lost control. He maintained and was always in good shape.

So I asked him how he did it....and he gave me a sip from his glass. Straight apple juice. He was stone sober, told me he started drinking apple juice while he was in a college fraternity, on the advice of his father.

He also told that if he went to a tavern, he would take his Apple juice with him and give it to the bartender. He'd buy his juice by the glass, but he stayed sober, while the rest of us were getting wrecked.

best wishes for tonight.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:57 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Day 5... They seem to be getting more difficult rather than easier. I want to put my head through a wall with the headaches im waking up with, and the short temper. Its like I am waking up with my patience already worn thin for the day. I guess thats because its so difficult to think in the first place.
I LOVE the story about the apple juice though. I think I may have to try that, if nothing else I do love apple juice!
Old 11-05-2011, 02:34 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hate the awkwardness of turning down drinks in front of people- big, blinking sign on my head: "I'M AN ALCOHOLIC!!!!"
It seems that way I know, because alcohol has been SO important to us - but really in my experience most people don't even notice, much less care, if we're drinking alcohol or not, IP.

I know the urge is to launch into a mini essay as to why you're not drinking, but no thanks is really all anyone needs to know

D
Old 11-05-2011, 02:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all you new guys

Pipedreamer - I think headaches are pretty common - apart from making sure your fluid intake is ok and you're not drinking too much coffee or other diuretics, please do check with your Dr if you're concerned

D
Old 11-05-2011, 02:58 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My step-mother quit drinking in her early twenties-she said she would go to clubs with her friends, drink soda waters and pretend to be drunk and nobody ever knew.