Notices

Class of November 2011

Old 11-05-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

So here is how it went today. I worked on harvesting crops until 3, with occasional sessions feeling some prickly pain sensations. I took off for town and had supper with my girlfriend at her job. She is an ICU nurse. This is the first that she has seen me inna week. She said that I was "jumpy," like a "cat on a tin roof."

After dinner I went over to the mall and took a lap. I stood for about 20 minutes and continued walking. The bad new is that my feet were burning up on the second lap. So I made it to the truck and started home. The good news is that the cooled off in about 20 minutes, on their own. I didn't have to take my shoes off, turn the air conditioning on and drive home barefoot this time. Thank the Lord, and everyone here for your kind support.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:06 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Ha, I like the apple juice story, Fraggy.

Last weekend I went to a bar for a Halloween party and ordered a cranberry and sprite.

Vodka and cranberry? The bartender repeated.

Tempting, but no. Cranberry and sprite, I repeated.

She poured it into a tall thin glass instead of the usual squat glass that you'd get a Cape Cod in.

I thought: Why are you giving me this Shirley Temple glass? You're missing the entire point.
Old 11-05-2011, 07:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Sober tonight, Saturday. Still cant believe i drank! But I managed to stop right away, just like last time. Didn't enjoy it at ALL. I know it still counts though.
Going to focus on whats in front of me. Get through the evening. Keeping it simple.
Hope you are all having a sober sat night. Or had one. I know the time zones are all over the place here.
Old 11-05-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

On day 7

I would like to join the November 2011 class. Ihave never posted on any forum at all so I was kind of hesitant but here I am.
I am on day 7. I am so excited about and I wanted to share with someone so badly because I need the support and motivation and I am so happy to find you all.
I started drinking in 04, when my husband had to go away for 6 months due to his job, and it has gotten worse through the years. I have a good job and have so far managed to keep my problem from my co-workers. I have never ever drank on the job. I always drink in the evenings at home. I have so far been able to manage my household, take care of the kids, cook dinner etc. I even manage to get up at 4:30am everyday to excercise - despite the headache. My husband is in the medical field and works long hours and I'm usually in bed when he gets home. I hide my bottles and throw away the empties before he sees them. I gues I'm what you would call a functioning alcholic but an alcoholic nontheless. I hate keeping this from him because he's an amazing man, husband and father. I know he's not aware of how bad my drinking is because he would definitely call me on it and as I said I manage to get my stuff done. I have been married to him long enough that I know he would not hesistate to confront me about it.
I want to quit before I ruin my marriage or before I do something that will hurt me or my family in any way. Plus I feel so ashamed and I hate feeling like such a fake and a liar, decieving so many people. I don't like what I'm becoming and I'm very very scared. I want to live. I want to quit before it's too late.

This is the first time that I have ever told my story and this is the first time I have said "I'm an alcoholic" Thank you . I'm so so happy that I found you all. Today I celebrate day 7 and I know November is going to be awesome :-)
Old 11-05-2011, 10:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi berdant
Welcome - you'll find a lot of understanding and support here

congratulations on your decision to quit
D
Old 11-05-2011, 11:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Welcome Berdant, you are not alone here.

Day 8 done for me! Just got home from the party and it was actually really nice being sober and alert, meeting new people and being able to focus on a conversation for more than two minutes.

Off to bed-EARLY on a Saturday night! Have a nice day planned tomorrow and really looking forward to it.

Hope everyone else is having a good weekend too.
Old 11-06-2011, 01:18 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi Berndat! I am on day 6 now and I just found this site too. It has helped me so much through the last few days of absolute torture. So much encouragement here, and its so great to have people who can relate and REALLY understand what you are going through.
Inparticular I am proud of you for making it through the party. I have a similiar situation coming up. My boss wants to take me and a few other co-workers out for "dinner and drinks" on Tuesday night. Not only is it bad enough they will all be drinking, I can't stand any of them in the first place. I have to tolerate them all, SOBER. Theres no way I can get out of it, he re-arranged the schedule and everything so we could go. Anyone have any good ideas?
Old 11-06-2011, 06:19 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Welcome Berndat!....just found this site too, glad to be here and glad you are here also.

PD, volunteer to be the Designated Driver, order something that you want that is non-alcohol, or skip it. I am assuming this dinner and drinks deal is a extra-curricular activity, and if so I'd rather be hanging with my family....

If you opt for just ordering what you want, and if they take a jab at you, just let them. At the very least they might become aware of their own drinking patterns.

you location says Boston, so I'd recommentd Rita's for Italian in Chelsea.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hi class. I was in the October class and drank last night. I love that group but also thought it might help to be in a group where others are just starting out too. I've struggled for 2 years now with short periods of sobriety. I have to try and figure out what I can do different bc something isn't working.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
It seems that way I know, because alcohol has been SO important to us - but really in my experience most people don't even notice, much less care, if we're drinking alcohol or not, IP.
I was a little worried, as I'm notorious as a big drinker amongst my colleagues (there is a 'drinking culture' outside of work, so being a big drinker doesn't arouse any suspicion at all of being a problem drinker or an alcoholic). I went to the pub after work on Thursday and, instead of my usual red wine or gin, I had sparkling water - absolutely un-heard of for me! I just said I was detoxing and losing weight before Christmas, and everybody agreed it was a good idea. Furthermore, most admitted they wished they had the discipline to do the same! It was strange being inside a pub and not drinking, though!

Originally Posted by Berdant View Post
I would like to join the November 2011 class. Ihave never posted on any forum at all so I was kind of hesitant but here I am.
Welcome, Berdant, and congratulations on day 7!

Originally Posted by BoozeFree View Post
Hi class. I was in the October class and drank last night. I love that group but also thought it might help to be in a group where others are just starting out too. I've struggled for 2 years now with short periods of sobriety. I have to try and figure out what I can do different bc something isn't working.
I don't know what to say that will help. What I do know, though, is that you must be very determined, because you're right back on track after your slip yesterday, and you have my admiration for that.

I went out to a fireworks party followed by what would normally be a boozy dinner party on Saturday. I made sure that I drove, so that I wouldn't be tempted to drink, and took a couple of large bottles of San Pellegrino sparking water, which the hostess served me in a nice wine glass . I'd have loved to have drunk red wine instead, but on the other hand, I had a great night's sleep last night - the first for months - and woke up fresh as a daisy!

Hope everyone's having a great day.
Old 11-06-2011, 02:28 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Thanks Pootles I am def determined. Drinking has ruined enough in my life and I want to be sober and not numb all the time.
Old 11-06-2011, 05:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thanks, Dee 74. Just made it through my first weekend in a long time without a drink. I'm feeling hopeful.
Thanks, again and I hope I can be a source of support to others as well.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:52 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Congratulations to everyone who made it through the weekend! I can't believe how much I got done today, starting with taking the dog to the beach early this morning, when normally I'd be in bed or on the couch feeling like death all day. Things are looking up and I'm feeling good about myself, not playing the usual self-hate game. I'm getting s**t done. Day 9 and I really don't think I would have made it this far without this forum. It is such an important tool. I am grateful for that and for my health.

I hope you are all well.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:00 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I'm going to join. Day zero, AA doesn't work for me so I'm going to try this.
Thanks everyone for being here.
Old 11-06-2011, 09:05 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

Welcome Bruman! Feel free to start a new thread to introduce yourself if you feel so inclined.
Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome Bruman. So you didn't have any luck with AA?? Me neither but I have not given up on it. LOL. I can't. I figure once I give up on AA it's all over, Im doomed. So I go through the motions with it, enjoy some of the funny people there. It's growing on me. However, I am still drinking so something isn't connecting.
Old 11-07-2011, 12:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Day 7 for me here. Welcome all the new Novembers. I too went to a birthday party at a bar on Sat late afternoon. I was having anxiety about people seeing me not drink. Thats so crazy! I told my hubby I was not drinking and would drive, so that helped. The birthday girl got totally obnoxious drunk and we decided to leave. We we supposed to spend time with her the next day. She called and said she fell down the stairs at the bar when leaving and messed up her ankle. I am so glad I was sober. Everyone sort of looked like idiots when after they had a few.
BTW, no one even asked if I was drinking or made a single comment that I wasn't..if they even noticed.

I did get a ton of things accomplished this weekend and spent some wonderful time with my eight year old...and I actually remember it!

I have the urge to drink every afternoon, so thats the rough time for me. Cant sleep tonight, so here posting.

Hubby drinking again Sunday afternoon with the neighbors...came home slurring and stumbling a little..having a hard time with that..hopefully he will see that I am feeling better and see the light on his own problem.

Rambling on, sorry. Love this site and wishing everyone a fabulous Monday.
Old 11-07-2011, 01:48 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I would like to join the November class. I actually started this journey in September, but I wasn't fully committed due to the fact that I had previously planned a Napa trip in October, and I knew I wasn't going to be able to really get on the wagon until that trip was over. Since the trip, I spent a week getting drunk almost every single day and finally decided to take it seriously.

I am currently 8 days sober. The first 7 days weren't too bad, but I had to pull deep to get through tonight. I wrote down a bunch of inspirational quotes that I promised myself I would read when I would get the urge to drink. A good one that helped me through tonight was by Victor Frankel: "Between stimulus and response there is a space. In that space is our power to choose our response. In our response lies our growth and our freedom."

Looking forward to being a part of this group!
Old 11-07-2011, 02:13 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all you new guys

D
Old 11-07-2011, 07:22 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi everyone and welcome bruman and nightswatch. Day 2 today and woke up feeling way better today after my slip sat night. Gratreful to wake up hangover free today!