Notices

Class of August 2011

Old 08-14-2011, 04:58 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
continue reaching out for support hmltnls - it's the best way I know to help keep our resolve strong in those early days

D
thanks dee74 I ;m a bit headachy and stressed but early bed ,tomorrow a new day
Old 08-14-2011, 05:08 PM
  # 322 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by alaskasunshine View Post
I think i am on day 5 and i am having this thought of drinking. I share custody of my 13 year old son and i am taking him back to his dad's place after church today. I just have this feeling that i am then going to the liquor store..why? why? why? I am trying to make this thought go away. Why do i think i can have "just one". One for me is 1/2 pint of rum, which is about 4 shots? Anyway. I use to be able to stop after that. But now, I always end up going back for more. Which means drinking and driving. I have 2 DUI's and a third one would be a felony. JAIL. I would go to jail, lose my job (and with a felonly would not get a new one anytime soon). My b/f would kick me out, my children, i cant even begin to think what it would do to them. Damn it..why do i think i can have just one? what makes me think i can handle it this time? HELP!! okay, i am going to go pray, that is what my sponser would tell me if i called her.

please go home and say whatever prayers work for you drink juice or black tea but don;t drink , think what your little kid will do if anything happens to you.your the only mum he has and you will miss so much if your not there for your g/kids and him in the years to come.I know because it happened to my brothe r and his wife. they both died within three months of each other because of drink and tobacco and left five kids they missed all their g/children and weddings and b/days. not a day I don't think of them I;ll be saying my pfrayers for you tonight God Bless
Old 08-14-2011, 06:24 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

Hi, I am a newcomer an I was directed toward the august page. I am a binge drinker with a terrible rage problem. Today is my first day of not drinking a drop and I feel better about myself already.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:32 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justrealized View Post
Hi, I am a newcomer an I was directed toward the august page. I am a binge drinker with a terrible rage problem. Today is my first day of not drinking a drop and I feel better about myself already.
Wer'e all in this together hang in there
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Hooper,
An amazing job staying sober...you should be proud of yourself.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:43 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

I feel awful but I have made it today! The real test will be through the weekend. So glad to be here
Old 08-14-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  

Indiana is a dry state on sundays except for microbreweries. Guess where I ended up? I screwed up big time today but I will try again tomorrow. I have too, drinking is breaking me health wise and financially.
Old 08-14-2011, 09:19 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

Do not wait until the conditions are perfect to begin. Beginning makes the conditions perfect.

thanks for the above quote...that is what im doing tonight...deciding to quit only if conditions are perfect. well, they are as perfect as they are ever going to be. so, im quiting. scared tonight because i have failed in the past. i dont have family problems or legal problems or work problems because of alcohol...yet. i have wanted to drink everynight and get detox symptoms when i stop a night. thats enough of a warning for me to say..stop! ive been using alcholol more and more for the past few years. stop! my memory is horrible and i think its because of alcohol. its time for me and putting myself first. thanks soberrecovery for being here. i feel supported being in the August class! *****!
Old 08-14-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 329 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to you new guys - it's tough to begin with...but please keep trying

D
Old 08-15-2011, 12:34 AM
  # 330 (permalink)  

Welcome everyone new. Just do it one day at a time.

Day 10

No AA meeting as it is a catholic holiday here and everyting is closed. After a beautiful day yesterday it is raining again today. Waiting to go on a walk - maybe it will get at least a bit warmer.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:12 AM
  # 331 (permalink)  

Thanks to all Augustians for posting here!

I find this board great support for my sobriety.
The weekend was like "living on the edge" Surrounded by people who are having fun and drinking and telling me like "try this new beer, it only has 2% of alcohol"..."why don't you want at least one drink"..."let's split one bottle"
There was this little, tiny moment when I caught myself thinking how it would be nice to take just one drink and "join the party"...but then YUK- the memory of day 1.
I had too many days 1, I am tired. There were too many "only one drink" that never ended after the first...been there, seen that, done that too many times. I thought of the day after: "Ok you can take a drink, but are you ready to go through the same hell as always"- well I realized I am not, and suddenly cravings were gone.
I know my addiction will not help me stay sober, the circumstances will show to be too tempting, people to convincing, pressure too hard...and my addiction will USE them to convince me to give up...and my addiction doesn't wish me well. I am starting too observe my addiction as an evil voice in my head, as an enemy who tries to persuade me to be my best and only friend. And that "friend" has used me and manipulated me for so long, did me so much harm and I choose better to be alone than in bad company

Hugs to all and stay strong

MB
Old 08-15-2011, 02:17 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  

I'd like to join the August group if it's not too late. I'm ten days into sobriety, after several years without even two sober days in a row. Good luck, everyone.
Old 08-15-2011, 02:18 AM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilacgirl View Post
I'd like to join the August group if it's not too late. I'm ten days into sobriety, after several years without even two sober days in a row. Good luck, everyone.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:11 AM
  # 334 (permalink)  
ANewBeginning

Hey my fellow Augustians

I wasn't able to get on last night, boy did you all go on a posting frenzy yesterday or what - very cool

LI... nice analogy of the roller coaster and getting of, getting your footing again... a lot like the first few days or so of sobriety.

Aida... Yep... felt the creepy, crawly head thing... could be withdrawal or general anxiety-related. I tend to think both, but much more the latter... because if I make myself relax, and stop thinking about 'stuff' or just relax, it goes away...

IWMB - Being honest with a few others is a great idea... keeps us accountable. Glad you're back on board!

HML... Just For Today.... my favorite saying. Taking things in bite-size quantities... day by day. Great job on making it through Sunday!!!

BF - Yeah, the first few days really stink, but you can do this... I just KNOW it... what can you change up?

Piotr... Congrats on Double Digit Day (10).... nice job on the walking mileage also

L101 - Welcome... Like your signature. I only woke up in my own vomit once. The very first time I drank when I was 15... vodka... yuk!

Stevie... Thanks for your honesty... glad you're back on the wagon with us. I think it's awesome that you don't feel like you're a slave to alcohol anymore. We can all be free from this! It's possible.

CS - Nice how you fielded your mom's questions... most of the time others really don't understand where we're coming from. But WE know where we came from and we don't want to go back there anymore

JD, JR - Welcome to our group!

Hooped... You SHOULD feel like a million bucks... Welcome to Day 14! Two weeks! Nice to ignore the cravings... really nice that we don't have to listen to THAT call.

Thrill... Today is a new day. Good that you're getting back up and not letting it drag you back down.

Sun - Yeah, I really like that quote... Don't be afraid of failing - nobody is a failure as long as we keep on trying. Each day (whether we fall or not) is one step closer to success....

MB... Way to go on the weekend!! Thanks for sharing all that, very helpful... we definitely have NO friend in alcohol!

Lilac... Awesome on 10 days! Welcome!

I had a busy, but good weekend. Thought about a drink or two on Saturday, but didn't. Yesterday, didn't think about it at all... So, today is Day 15 for me, Yea!

Have a Marvelous Monday. Today is our day - We WILL get through today - without alcohol! We have new friends now
Old 08-15-2011, 06:30 AM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone and welcome to all the new peeps!! What a great group!! Day 10 here - off to the doc this morning to get my blood work done. Saying a little prayer that my liver/kidneys pass the test!

My mother from out of state came to visit unexpectedly this weekend so staying sober was a little easier. Lots of anxiety though.

Things continue to get better and I feel strong.

I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for your honesty and support. All the best to everyone here!! Hope we all can remain focused and draw strength from each other!! Have a wonderful sober Monday!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 AM
  # 336 (permalink)  

Hi Augustinians!

Sounds like some of you had as challenging as a weekend as I did.

Friday night visited friends. Everyone was drinking except me. I used the excuse that I'm doing a body cleanse...not knowing that our friend was a bodybuilder and was into the whole cleanse thing. So he starts asking me a ton of questions about it which, of course, I had to lie and make stuff up as I went along. Then, as the night wore on, and more beer was consumed, he kept bringing it back up!! I was mentally exhausted from basically lying about why I wasn't drinking.

It was a victory, though, to sit with 3 other people and be the only one sober. I'm not gonna lie, I wanted a glass of wine SOOOOO bad. But ya know...I wanted it more so I could tolerate listening to the other people talk about themselves and repeat stories and incidents over and over. After an hour I was bored and didn't feel like sitting around any more.

Saturday was a challenge as well. Nice day, eating outside...a glass of wine would have been the perfect compliment. I took a nap to curb the craving, which worked.

Sunday I wanted a glass of wine with dinner SOOO bad. I came real close to going out and buying it but then my husband made a comment about going out on Sunday after enduring Friday night. So I didn't go. After dinner I was fine. Didn't want it anymore any way.

So I am happy to say I am on Day 15. Honestly, the thought of not drinking ever again is starting to wear thin on me.

Glad to see everyone still in the game! Congratulations!
Old 08-15-2011, 06:53 AM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm new to this thread, new to this site, and not at all new to trying to quit. I didn't start drinking till my 21st birthday. My roomates took me to the bar and got me roaring drunk. I was so sick the next day that I told them I didn't want to ever drink again. Their answer was "hair of the dog" and I was off and running. That lasted for quite a while till I got a grip and quit cold turkey.

I had stopped for a long time when over the course of a month and a half my Mother died very horribly in the hospital. I dealt with it while she was alive but once she was gone I relapsed. That was about 10 years ago.

Over the last week my wife was away and I drank as much as I wanted. Yesterday I was as sick as after that first episode at 21. I never want to feel that way again. I'm feeling better but weak. I need to keep reminding my self of the agony I cause myself when I drink and the pain I cause for those that love me (my dad, son and daughter - maybe some others too).
Old 08-15-2011, 07:34 AM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Good morning guys!
I was able to sleep a little better yesterday, still got the sweating and just in general feeling hot though. I was able to eat a lil toast this morning. On to day 3 today and off to work soon. Now with even a 2 days down I dont want to have to go thru that again. Hopefully when cravings hit I will remember how miserable the detox process is!

Welcome to the new people!

R4R as far as changing things up goes, I think a major one is having a plan of something to do when I get home from work. Also I need to tune out my co workers when they are constantly talking about how good drinking after work sounds, maybe even leave the room bc then I think about the idea of drinking and forget all the bad things that come from me drinking.. I'll have to think of more but theres a couple things for now to start working on.

Thrillhouse todays a new day, you can do it!

Sindyluhu good job not givin in to the wine!
Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi all, after my Friday night bender, I'm still feeling pretty miserable. Sad, guilty, anxious, just plain miserable. I banged out sick from work today so that I can get it together and get some more rest. Seriously, I used to drink and be completely fine the next day but now I'm sick for days on end. This post will serve as a reminder to myself that it's just not worth it. I want to be a wonderful wife and mother full of energy. The wine holds me back from fulfilling a lot of my ambitions and it's time to let go. I'm truly ready to let go.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:22 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new August members! So glad to have you here.

We have had a family emergency so I will not be posting/checking in the next several days. Just didn't want anyone to think I went missing.

Still doing great with no desire to drink. So glad to experience and deal with emotions during this difficult time.

Take care all and don't drink this week.