Notices

Class of May 2011

Old 05-24-2011, 04:37 AM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Hi all.
I have only just discovered you are here, having been wandering the site for 6 days now. Thanks Rebel Angel.

I have been sober for 6 days, and it has been a lot tougher than I expected it to be. though I am proud that I have managed to get this far, its my first attempt. I am a little scared that I am going to wobble really reaally soon.. The only thing that stops me is the certainty that I do not want to feel as poorly as I have done this week.

I went back to my GP today (loooong story, I wont bore you) and my blood pressure is fine, and I am physically fine. I cried like a bitch though.. I thought I was weepy a few days ago, but at least then I could control myself in public, now, not so much.

Currently am weighing up, Tears V Beers? Tears are winning at the moment, buts its a close call..

Anyway, just wanted to make contact with someone...

Be Well guys,
Big Fat Hugs to all..

XXX
Old 05-24-2011, 04:45 AM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hi Canterbell and welcome - I saw your post about the problems you had with a probable seizure and that unprofessional doctor you saw - I read it all while I was still feeling too ill to post but im glad you are here and well done on day 6. I should be on day 23 by now and am kicking myself and sorely regretting not being there but I know with the help of AA and this wonderful website and my frends in the class of May I WILL get there.

Oh Im gonna be late for work oops - catch you all later!!

x
Old 05-24-2011, 05:47 AM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hi Canter and Pumpkin--Pumpkin, I'm on Day Three too, so don't give it a pass, it's a way station to a better place you already know that. You are not going to drink today, period you are going to get into the double digits soon. I know it's an old AA saying but TIME TAKES TIME. You will feel so much worse with a drink, read your old posts. I am so rooting for you and giving you a hug.

And Cantor, so glad you found this string! And congrats on six days, you are a miracle.

So back to the hospital today. I just want to tell everyone that you never want to get to the point of really bad DT's because it's like seeing a different person. I love my dad, but he is in so much agony right now. And I can't do anything to make it better.

But I want to leave on a better note--so glad to see the class of May doing so well, xo
Old 05-24-2011, 06:00 AM
  # 384 (permalink)  

City, I agree with you about reading old posts! It helps so much even for us newbies! I'm only at day 11 but even going back to the first few days and reading keeps me in perspective. I am home sick today so I have to do that. I don't want any excuse to focus on drinking!!!!
Old 05-24-2011, 07:01 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

hey everyone. i guess i belong to this class too so i might as well post.

i am on day 3. i feel like absolute crap. i haven't had any serious withdrawal symptoms but i have been shaky and feeling like i want to throw up and anxious as hell. i promised myself that whenever i felt like going to get a drink i would get in the car and drive to the gym and spend a half-hour walking slowly on the treadmill, nothing too tough for my body... it's only 10 a.m. and i have been three times. i know i can get through this but right now it seems soooooo hard.

hope everyone is doing well.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:11 AM
  # 386 (permalink)  

I am on day 12!

I didn't drink for 10 years then in 2005 started again and now I am attempting to stop again. I have never been to AA but I am thinking about it now.

Thanks for everyone sharing their stories.
Old 05-24-2011, 09:21 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Guess i'm a class of may 11, so here it goes. Day 2 not so bad yet. I'm making my favorite dinner and a cake for my Bday today. It's hard today because I have always had a few at my parties, but a few turns into alot. Remembering this day will be awesome, because for 14 years they were a blur. Enjoying my family tonight, biggest gift i've ever recieved!

Hope everyone else is having a good day! :day1 to me!
Old 05-24-2011, 02:36 PM
  # 388 (permalink)  

Welcome to all the new folks-- comfy, Robinson, zelda, newstart. And canterbell your profile pic rocks!

Im just doing my daily accountability check in. On the positive side I'm pleased to announce that it looks like I'll make it through my 37th bday as my Day 17 of sobriety. Yay! I've had gargantuan cravings lately but learned to "Urge Surf" on this site which has helped tremendously. Also looks like the wife is starting to forgive me for my little alcohol poisoning mishap on Kentucky Derby day.

On the negative side (other than the cravings) I'm noticing that I've been eating like an eight year old. I've been craving cookies and cinnamon rolls and Coca-Cola and Shirley Temples. Good thing I've been running or else I'd be 400 lbs.

Oh and CatFry you should wear your auto-signature with pride today since its Bob Dylan's 70th birthday
Old 05-24-2011, 03:39 PM
  # 389 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by newstart75 View Post
When I read (or heard?0 somewhere recently that 'alcoholism is all about loneliness' (or words to that effect) I'm just starting to understand what that all means.
I live on my own and one thing I haven't been able to tolerate since getting sober 24 days ago is too much aloneness, quiet, or lack of activity!
And I'm not someone normally averse to enjoying my own company, I've even loved meditating for long periods in the past....but instead of drinking I have filled my days and weekends with 'stuff' - going places, going to AA, seeing friends, having visitors, visiting. But it extends to when I'm at home on my own too - it's like I'm afraid of being alone with my thoughts- have to have TV on in the background, I need the hum of the radio to get me off to sleep, I'm eating lots of sweets and drinking cups and cups of tea, I can't sit still for long. Consequently my home is pretty tidy, an upside for sure!
I know there's feelings that need to surface and maybe my busyness is a way of suppressing them - And when I do need to have a cry, or swear loudly, I do.
Any activity is better than drinking - and I'm starting to enjoy the fact that I can fill up my days with things that interest me, instead of nursing a hangover and feeling sorry for myself.
Keep up the sobriety!
Drinking was a huge part of my life - there was very little I didn't do without a drink. I lived alone too when I got sober - I felt I needed to be doing something or having something on the go the whole time...but gradually I relaxed.

I always hated being alone - ever since childhood - but I learned to love my own company in those first few months. I hope you will too NewStart

Welcome to all the newcomers - Canterbell, Zelda, Robinson, comfytshirt...
This is a great bunch of folks

D
Old 05-24-2011, 04:13 PM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Welcome to all new folks glad you're here, we May-ers need each other! x City
Old 05-24-2011, 05:14 PM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Yes, welcome to everyone!
Pleased that you've joined us on the crazy new adventure.

Day 10 brought me a lot of anxiety, due for the most part to my girlfriend texting me most of the afternoon. She wanted to know if I was still thinking of seeking counseling or if I was interested in joining A.A. I told her that I am looking into therapy, but am doing well with the help of SR. & that I didn't think I needed AA. Her reply was, I don't think you'll find the type of help I hoped you would get on a forum.

What hell does this have to do with her & what she thinks?

However, I bit, tried to explain & in the end finally told her it was none of her business. I'm doing my best to learn from my mistakes & in hindsight I never should have participated in the conversation. I'm hoping next time I can restrain myself & maybe she'll burn herself out without me saying or in this case typing a word.

Any sage advice on how to better deal with her being unsupportive & the BS she's attempting to saddle me with?

Sorry for the rant, but I had to let it out.

Hope every one's day wasn't as trying as mine!
Old 05-24-2011, 05:30 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pumpkin Soup View Post
Here goes - I was invited by the lovely Dee to start up this thread so I hope my inadequacies at starting threads have left me! Doing this I hope to make new friends, find support and hopefully help others who are in recovery. Im back after joining in November 2010 and failing a few months at attempting to control and moderate with advice from an alcohol counsellor. I think he will be relieved when I tell him I have given up on that as the last months (well years in reality - but months since I have been seeing him for advice) have proved that whenever I take alcohol I am starting a battle. One where the alcohol always wins - I always want more and more until I make myself too ill to function. My body is now telling me it cant take it anymore. So my new battle begins - the one where I try to fight off the voice in my head that tells me just a few wont hurt and it will be ok this time........ It hasnt been for the past five years or so - time to stop procrastinating as one of the next times I give in to it will be the death of me and that could well be the next time so here I am trying to save my life.......

Sorry for the rambling rant, I am tired and in bed but just wanted to get this started so I have something to come back to tomorrow - it will be my day 3 - a big danger day for me and the most common time for me to feel well enough to pick up again.

I am from the UK so probably out of sync timewise with most of you but will be reading more posts for a whilie tonight and straight back on in the morning.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to meeting newbies and old timers alike.

Hi Pumpkin Soup. I just joined today and this is the first thread that I checked out. Thanks so much for being there for me.
Old 05-24-2011, 05:35 PM
  # 393 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Jenard

Concor I'm not up on the history with you and your gf - but you better believe my gf would have been all up in my recovery had we been together then LOL - I kinda think that's what a partnership is all about...

Input from significant others is part of any life changing decisions and I'd listen...but in the end I really it's your recovery and your journey - it has to be an internal motivation - you have to make decisions for yourself, not based on what your gf wants you to do.

D
Old 05-24-2011, 05:38 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Concor. Does she even recognize any change in your behavior at this point? I have 10 days and notice a change in me for the way better.
Old 05-24-2011, 06:09 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Welcome Jenard

Concor I'm not up on the history with you and your gf - but you better believe my gf would have been all up in my recovery had we been together then LOL - I kinda think that's what a partnership is all about...

Input from significant others is part of any life changing decisions and I'd listen...but in the end I really it's your recovery and your journey - it has to be an internal motivation - you have to make decisions for yourself, not based on what your gf wants you to do.

D

If she were supportive I might feel differently, but instead I'm accused of being a dry drunk on just my third day sober & today apparently I'm not quitting correctly.
Damned if I do & damned if I don't is how I feel about the whole situation.

As far as her noticing a difference in behavior, I wouldn't know as I've only been around her a couple of times for short periods since I quit.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:41 PM
  # 396 (permalink)  

My husband wouldn't know a "dry drunk" if it perched on his head, but I can guarantee that after a long-slow-serious-discussion about my drinking and *our* relationship on a weekend morning, he can sure swing around into:

what I am doing wrong (looking at him), how I am doing it wrong (by not looking at him), etc.

If I goof up and do the *exasperated sigh* thing (I give, it's a bad recent habit I am trying to (notice) and break); he takes this as a sign life is over, stick nose in the air, all the fun is gone, let's go home and die.

Impervious to stupid jokes, lascivious suggestions, and snarky comments about the unsupervised and very unhappy children in the line ahead of us to check out.

Nope- life is over, and I'm not talking to you.
Old 05-24-2011, 08:46 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  

Hey Pumpkin, glad to make it through Day Three with you!
Old 05-24-2011, 08:53 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Checking from the redwoods. Being alone seems to be no easier than being with a lot of other people or just a few. No matter where I am the little trickster in my brain gives me reasons to pick up and I'm having to be on my guard and ready to recognize that voice for what it is. Today being alone I think is harder because I have to listen to my inner voice to write and process my life...so I can't just escape from it altogether. I have to learn to distinguish the healthy inner voice from the not healthy inner voice. This takes more energy and vigilancem. No wonder we sleep so much when we are recovering!
Old 05-24-2011, 11:33 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

Hello.
Concor-
I can relate to that! I also feel damned if I do and damned if I dont. Im not sure, but I think I might have gotten a little support from the wife tonight. She told me see get so upset because she doesnt understand what Im going through. And how can she? Im the drunk, not her.
TodayToo-
Yes the voice of the trickster is constant. Only difference is the degree of intensity. I know you brought your earplugs (hehe). Day 25 is here!
NoTears-
I had to laugh. Only because it sounds soooo familiar!
Citylights and Pumkin-
Good job! Stay strong. My prayers are with you.
BD2T-
Good job to you.
Newcomers-
We have a good group here. Lots of support from good people with understanding. Might even have a laugh or two along the way. Together we can help each other stay sober. Welcome!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:11 AM
  # 400 (permalink)  

Morning all - wanted to get a few lines in before the school run - I dont always take my girls to school but am doing so on the mornings when my eldest has an exam.

Wow so many in our group now welcome to all newcomers and happy birthday for yesterday comfytshirt I hope you did better than I did on mine but whatever happens we are all here for everyone as WE DO UNDERSTAND.

Great to be with you on day 4 citylights - how are things for you now - I read your other thread - you are doing amazing in the circumstances - I cried about your cat but your decision to honour its life by not drinking over the death is honourable.

Will add more later my girls have just said they want to leave now.....