Notices

Class of May 2011

Old 05-14-2011, 02:12 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  

hahaha - true dat about maximizing the withdrawal experience...

About 8 years ago I found an addiction therapist I thought would help me kick the alcohol - sharp, experienced, background with PTSD - perfect!

T prescribed valium and wrote rx for FIVE YEARS. When I moved and the rx ran out I bought it online - why not? Of course the alcohol never budged, and now the benzo withdrawal. Took the last one last week.

That **** should come with a skull and crossbones on the box.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:31 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back No Tears

D
Old 05-14-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Chalking up day 14...two weeks! Feeling okay about that...and I see I lost 2 pounds each week, just by not drinking at the end of the day. So, I'm happy about that too. I love coming on here and checking in with you all and how you're doing. This is an awesome thread you got us starting on Pumpkin. I'm much obliged. I've been posting on some of the others...but I like this one the best. We have a good track record with each other. Even with the ups and downs. I like knowing you're all out there trying to stay sober and at about the same I am. Makes it not such a lonely haul. I hear what you're saying about the lack of support from people who think you're not really an alcoholic if you're not as bad as some other drunk they knew. Well, the thing is we don't want to become like some other drunk they knew! That's why we're trying to stop.

The thing is we know what we know about our own inability to manage on our own and powerlessness to drink without wanting more more more. And we know where that is leading us. So, we need to stay on the program and listen to what our higher power is telling us and pray for the grace to make it one more day. I think it is true eventually people will just accept we are non-drinkers, and most will without giving it a second thought. If someone only wants to be around drinkers, then maybe they need to face they have a problem. It isn't alcohol that makes a person interesting or not. But, alcohol has a way of binding people together because they are falling into the same pit. Its more a case of misery loves company and the blind leading the blind.
Old 05-14-2011, 09:22 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Hello MayFolks,
Good job TT on Day 14. I really liked the last paragraph. You have a gift for words. Im also on two weeks. Today is hard though. My wife moved out two weeks ago to give me support in my recovery (what ever the f*ck that means). Been fighting with her the whole day about our kids. Yesterday me and my kids went driving in the mountains. My 12 year old couldnt believe it when we got back to the truck and I got in the passenger side and let him drive us back down the hill. My 10 year old is my little shadow. When ever there is work to be done he is right there giving me a hand. My sons spent the night at my place last night and we had a good time, made dinner, watched a movie.. I was looking forward to them being with me all weekend. But my spouse accuses me of not watching them or of not taking care of them. So while I was at my AA meeting she came and got them. She really knows where to hit to make it hurt.I love my kids. I enjoy spending time with them. So Im sitting in my quiet house, alone again, feeling sorry for myself. There is live music at the bar. I love rock-n-roll. Im going there to socialize and have a coke. I know I will make it make to see day 15...
Old 05-14-2011, 11:39 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!
I am back home from a bachelorette party. I had a blast! I'm sober. I know it is because I am on antabuse, but at this point I'll take it any way I can get it. If I wasn't on antabuse I'd probably be the drunkest (none of those ladies are heavy drinkers) and/or still drinking . . . and probably drunk dialing. I am grateful for where I am at!

I drove a best friend/neighbor home. She and I have drank heavily together in the past. It is interesting how hard it is for others to accept someone has a problem with alcohol. Last November, Thanksgiving eve for you fellow state-siders, I got wasted, in a fight with my husband, and came to in my bath-tub with the drain stuffed u with a towel and a mangled lady-led razor floating in the water. The next day this same neighbor/friend called me and told me I'd called her at like 3 am and said goodbye I'm going to kill myself. Apparently she told me not to, and I said ok, and that was that. I dont remember ANY of this. Yet, she is hesistant to think I'm an alcoholic in teh clinical sense. Odd. Luckily she is more than willing to do "sober" activities with me. She is a good friend.

BeenDown: Prior to starting antabuse but after I had seen the MD, made the purchase and stashed it in a cabinet, I decided to go on a "Victory Tour" of having one last night with all my drinking buddies . . . seperately. That binge lasted 2 days and ended with me taking the med waaayy earlier than planned (I had planned to start after my friend's wedding). In the meantime I cursed people out, the works. There is a little alcoholic demon voice we all have to learn to ignore. We all get it.

Take care everyone. I hope you are all doing well.

Hugs.
Old 05-15-2011, 03:34 AM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Congrats everyone who made it through Sober Satuday. Especially you Day 14+ crew.
Today's my Day8 and the one week since I woke up in the hospital. Not quite the bathtub like CatFry but still a good rock-bottom.

I gotta say, though that despite my pride in making it a week, last night the nightmares were the worst ever. not sure which of my w/ds are causing that symptom but it's not a fun one.

I just gotta remember these symptoms next time alcoholic brain tells me to relapse. Not worth it, not fun.

Oh well-- pain is weakness leaving the body.

A
Old 05-15-2011, 08:52 AM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Happy Sunday everyone!

Z - your sister and husband are exactly what I was referring to. I got home Friday night and he was here with 2 bottles of wine for "Friday night" When I said I wasn't drinking I got the "just on Friday's" speech. Ended up giving in... BUT felt GUILTY the whole time. My conscience was there the whole time - also because I knew I was going to have to admit my weakness on here the next day.

Saturday was easier - went on a 3 hour hike around a lake, and had family night. They didn't drink - which made it easier for me.

So I'm back on day 2 - had a long talk with hubby yesterday too, and I think he understands that I really do not want it, not just talking... Just hope he follows through - I've been told I'm "funner" when drinking cause it does make me more outgoing... but realized last night with family - I do just fine sober too!

When I read about PS and 3steeds - totally motivational. I can't wait to say day 8 BeenDown. In 6 more days!

Hockey playoffs tonight - usually a beer and wings night - we're staying home for chili and maybe sparkling lemonade. I've discovered other drinks I love though besides alcohol! Virgin drinks... lemonade... ice tea.... and lots of fruit juices are actually quite tasty! haha go figure....

Thanks you guys... I love reading the updates. Something to look forward to when I wake up!

ps - CatFry.... if that night doesn't make you never wanna drink again.... wow!
Old 05-15-2011, 01:09 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Preg - Two days is better than no days. Lots of great tasting non-alkie drinks out there. You're absolutely right. Just think how much better your insides are doing without being pickled by booze! I hope people can give you the support you need stop putting you down when just you're being yourself. Why should you have to be fun for them? Its up to them if they want to feel like they are enjoying you or not. Can't they just enjoy you for you, not for who you are when you've had a few?

No Tears, I see what you're still struggling with. It is not easy, that's for da*n sure! But we all know its the way to survive and live a healthy life. I can't imagine trying to balance meds in the midst of this. So, my heart goes out to all of you trying to do that. Maybe that makes my sobriety easier cause I don't have the detox part of it or the meds for other issues going on too. The smell of the booze you dumped out making you gag is something I can relate to. For some reason it makes me think of that Bogie line, "Of all the gin joints in all the world, she walks into mine." Not sure why that is, but it makes me think of the way bars smell like layers of barf covered up by layers of booze. Its pretty sickening whenever I think about it. So, maybe a little hypnotic suggestion to smell that smell whenever you think about having a drink will help resist the voice that says, "Go ahead just one will help relieve the stress, help you blend in with the crowd, help you get over the blues, help you....yada yada yada. SHUT UP VOICE! I'm smelling the truth.

Pumpkin, I found out Bogie wrote another line, "All the world is three drinks behind." Yeah, that's so true for me. I know I am only three drinks behind falling right back into where I was. If Bogie was an alcoholic, and I think he was, then he knew all the rest of us in recovery were just three drinks away from being right back in the ditch again. That's a sobering thought.

3 Steeds, It is so hard to hear about the spouse who seems to be messing with your head while you're so vulnerable and trying so hard. She's obviously sick in her own way, so you've gotta rise above it and look at it the light of she needs help too for whatever it is ailing her...and maybe you're not the one who can give it to her...so all you can do is look at her as a sick person, like the Big Book says, and then it won't be gnawing at you. Pray for her that does come to realize she needs help and finds a way to get it. Sounds like you had a great day with the boys. So, count that as a plus. Keep working the program and no amount of cr*p that comes at you is going to hurt as bad as you hurt yourself when you're pouring all that booze into your system. Hope this helps 3Steeds. I know it hurts and you're worried about what you might lose. Don't worry, be happy. To drink is to die, and you can't be with your boys then.

CatFry and BeenDown2, I love reading all about you and your posts too. Thanks for all the encouragement and checking in now and then. We got a great group going. I hope we can all hang together for as long as it takes. We need each other. What an odd thing to admit about people I don't even really know. I do know the one thing I need to know about you. Like me, you are powerless over alcohol and your lives are unmanageable without working this program to stay sober. I'm glad to be sharing this road with you. We don't know where we're going, but its gotta be better than where we been! Heading into Week 3 ..... cranking it wide open!

Last edited by TodayToo; 05-15-2011 at 01:21 PM. Reason: pic didn't work will post after
Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Resting Easy

Old 05-15-2011, 01:21 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

T2 - --layers of barf covered up by layers of booze--

HA! I LOVE IT...kinda describes the contents of my skull as well

thanks for your posts. I always enjoy them! p.s., is that us in the photo above, screaming into June?

Last edited by NoTears; 05-15-2011 at 01:24 PM. Reason: add content
Old 05-15-2011, 01:57 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

TodayTOO nice work on week 3!

Another advantage of... I woke up today at 7:30 and got up - instead of 9:30 then laying there another half hour. Actually made breakfast and was ready to go for the day!
Old 05-15-2011, 02:33 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Good evening all, I missed my morning post today my shopping delivery arrived early and I was still in bed reading the posts that had been put while I slept then by the time I put the shopping away I got busy doing other things and now the day is over and im back in bed.

Bit of an up and down day but I havent contemplated having a drink. Its popped into my mind a few times but I was in no danger. Last night I was out for a family meal, again no danger as I was driving and my family are supportive of my current position and very much want me to succeed but Saturdays so far seem to be the most tempting days for me. I was looking at the people in the restaurant with their bottles of wine or beer and I did feel a bit envious of them but I just have to get on with and realise that whilst they can probably enjoy their drink at that moment in time I would end up being miserable eventually if I tried to recapture that moment.

Went to a meeting today, it was ok, not the best, I was a bit late, flustered, clumsy, spilled some of my coffee on someone, was in some pain and discomfort (physical stuff which will be gone in a day or two) but the lady who I want to be my sponsor was there and afterwards we had a chat and she is going to do it for me we will start working the steps in a couple of weeks when she returns from a holiday. In the meantime I am to ring her everyday so that will start tomorrow. So it was definatley a good thing I went to the meeting. No matter what happens I always get something from the meetings - usually quite alot. There was a girl there who clearly is starting out - she smelled of drink (maybe from the previous night), was shaking badly and crying alot. I wished her well and saw that another lady gave her her telephone number. She left pretty quick after the meeting I am unsure if I should have tried to speak to her more but Im also a bit wary of connecting with someone who is still in trouble as I am so early into it I think someone with more experience would be more helpful and I worry I may put myself in danger as its impossible to tell if she was there from her own free will etc - im feeling a bit bad about it now if I see her again I will definately offer her support.

After the meeting I was drained and went for a lie down and then woke 2 hours later! I am now blaming the lack of weight loss on the fact that I am sleeping so much. I guess it will balance out in time.

During dinner I felt a crack in my mouth and a chunk of tooth has fallen out so I will have to get to the dentist in the morning. Im really not too pleased about that I have become more and more dentist phobic as I get older.

Still I havent fancied a drink today so all in all its been a good day and tomorrow I can say Ive not had a drink for a fortnight which is a first since I was about 13 years old!!! In fact I can say it now as I had finished my last drink by about 8pm two Sundays ago so hoorah!!!!

Well Im now gonna read some more on here then a chapter of my sleazy novel then a few paragraphs of the big book, a little prayer and then my new hobby - sleep!

Goodnight all, have a great sober day/night where ever you are.

PS x
Old 05-15-2011, 03:55 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Hello everyone.
I have made it to day 15! This longer than anytime I can remember.
I would like to thank everyone on SR for letting me vent. I have said before that I need this forum. To read everyones trials and triumphs gives me encouragement to carry on. It makes me feel that Im not the only one suffering, and willing to go through this pain in order to change our lives. I have been going to my AA meetings when ever I can. It helps, but I feel I can be more open and admit more here. Both places are valuable to me.

TodayToo- As always, thanks for your words. I really value your input and view on matters.
NoTears- I can relate to being here for a therapeutic post. I need you guys. Im glad your still here. I like the comment of the pic "screaming into June!"
Preg- Im glad you have some support from your spouse. That helps.
Marria- Where are you?
Pumpkin- Sorry to read about your tooth. I hate the DDS too. Happy for your sobriety.
Snow- Happy Sober Sunday!
Cat-Im glad you can "party" and not be drunk. I went out last night and had a blast without one drop of the demonswater.
BeenDown- A few days ago the crazy nightmareish dreams finally stopped for me. I still wake in the middle of my sleep though.
Stay strong classmates. Lets count on each other for support. God knows I need it.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:09 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

KEEP GOING!!!!! you will make it!
Alcohol withdrawl symptoms are the monster inside you dying. He knows you're killing him and he's struggling to make you feed him. Don't do it. Don't let him win. Starve him of alcohol and he will die. Don't let him trick you. Be strong. It won't last forever and if you stay strong you will win.
Day 3 for me and I want to thank the person who typed this. I NEEDED IT! I'm hiding in my room with my computer, tv and Iphone just waiting it out. Tomorrow I'll be at work all day and then to an AA meeting. The beast is on me right now and good. I'm hiding and I have my support all around me - husband down stairs with full knowledge of my situation. I've had flash backs today when I've heard glass hitting the kitchen counter and the cork come off the olive oil container. Scared the ___ outta me!
Old 05-15-2011, 06:02 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Hi guys! Just doing my daily check in. Lovely weather here. I hope there is for you all as well.

BeenDown: Congrats on day 8! Don't sell yourself short . . . hospital is just as bad as a bathtub ; )

TodayToo: Loved your post. We do need each other : )

Notears: You crack me up! I'm sure there is more in your skull

Preg: Glad you had a lovely morning! (O, and sadly I only quit for two weeks after that night . . . but I'm here now) Congrats on day 2!

PS: Sorry to hear about your tooth. Congrats on two weeks sober!

3steeds: Congrats on day 15!

1undone: I'm glad that this thread is helping you!

Everyone: Thanks for being here : )
Old 05-16-2011, 05:52 AM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I'd like join the class of 2011.

Day 4
Old 05-16-2011, 05:53 AM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Good to hear how well everyone is doing!
I was away for the weekend with my kids and we had a lovely time. Life is getting better!!
I feel very focused on more positive changes I can make to improve my day to day life. I have more energy now and thankfully I'm getting much more done at work these days.
I really want to get into cooking nice food this summer for family, friends and especially for me!
Basically my needs are very simple and when I'm not yearning for alcohol I can just relax and enjoy all the simple things that I've missed out on while obsessing about drinking.

Day 5, the weather is beautiful and life feels good
Old 05-16-2011, 06:22 AM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Back down the rabbit hole...

Well, was doing okay but blew it this weekend. Allowed every little problem to escalate my "need" for a beer. Ended up drinking all weekend. So, now it's Monday and I'm going for it again. So many day 1s, but hey, at least that's better than spiraling out without caring. That must mean something, but maybe not. Anyway, still in the May class.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:37 AM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Morning Class of May

Thanks to all of you for helping me through my first totally sober weekend in 8 years. I'm so glad I found this group.

Pleased to announce that I actually feel kind of okay today! Monday used to be my hell day after a hard weekend of drinking. And a week ago today I started my opiate withdrawals and was still suffering from alcohol poisoning from the Saturday before. I was dehydrated still, unable to eat, and shivering madly. I was actually wearing a snuggie while sitting at my desk. And it was 70 degrees.

And today I was able to run 8 miles before work and am starting my day listening to happy music. I didn't even know happy music was still on my iPod.

Granted I'm in for a tough day because I can already feel my benzo withdrawals kicking in. The famous week 2 benzo withdrawals are here NoTears. But that's not the point. The point is that there has been progress. Maybe sobriety is like losing weight-- where once you see a little bit of progress it makes it a little bit easier to stay motivated?

Robinson welcome to the group!
Old 05-16-2011, 08:14 AM
  # 200 (permalink)  

New to this site. In the Class of May 2011

Hello to all. I have been reading posts of this site for 2 months now. Today is day 14 for me. Yay!!! I read these posts at least 2 or 3 times a day. They have given me so much inspiration. My withdraws were bad. Ended up calling 911 on my first day because I thought I was going to die. Very scary. I feel great today. I will post my story later when I have time. I just wanted to say hello and tell you how blessed I am to be alive and have been given a 2nd, 3rd, 4th chance. I am looking forward to a new sober life. Thank you all for your amazing posts. I have seen some very strong people in my life but non compare to the posters on this site. I get chills reading some of these posts as they are so much like what I am going through. Nice to know I am not alone. Good luck to all and God bless.