Notices

Class of May 2011

Old 05-03-2011, 02:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Class of May 2011

Here goes - I was invited by the lovely Dee to start up this thread so I hope my inadequacies at starting threads have left me! Doing this I hope to make new friends, find support and hopefully help others who are in recovery. Im back after joining in November 2010 and failing a few months at attempting to control and moderate with advice from an alcohol counsellor. I think he will be relieved when I tell him I have given up on that as the last months (well years in reality - but months since I have been seeing him for advice) have proved that whenever I take alcohol I am starting a battle. One where the alcohol always wins - I always want more and more until I make myself too ill to function. My body is now telling me it cant take it anymore. So my new battle begins - the one where I try to fight off the voice in my head that tells me just a few wont hurt and it will be ok this time........ It hasnt been for the past five years or so - time to stop procrastinating as one of the next times I give in to it will be the death of me and that could well be the next time so here I am trying to save my life.......

Sorry for the rambling rant, I am tired and in bed but just wanted to get this started so I have something to come back to tomorrow - it will be my day 3 - a big danger day for me and the most common time for me to feel well enough to pick up again.

I am from the UK so probably out of sync timewise with most of you but will be reading more posts for a whilie tonight and straight back on in the morning.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to meeting newbies and old timers alike.

Last edited by Pumpkin Soup; 05-03-2011 at 02:28 PM. Reason: typos
Old 05-03-2011, 02:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

All the best and strength to you, Pumpkin Soup! Although I hope never to be a regular on your thread, if you get my drift (day 19)....
Old 05-03-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Day 19 is great well done - the best ive managed in a few years of trying is 12 so far so I can't wait to be where you are now - I dont think you have to be a May starter to join in the thread.......
Old 05-03-2011, 03:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Today is my day 1 and like you, day 3 is my danger day because that's when i start to feel "normal" after getting really smashed. I drink everyday but sometimes will drink until I pass out and that's when I want to quit the most. So, today is one of those days. But, I am hopeful that this site will help me to feel accountable. And I plan to start going to AA....just gotta get up the courage.
Old 05-03-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Am in

Hi Guys and dolls

Today is my day of starting as back to work and all the Hols are over, given me an excause to drink. last drink 10pm last night and 20 units drank yesterday (larger) that's 7 pints of 5% vol. just watched the clock hit 10pm and that was 24 hours with no drink,. Today was tough, a few panic attacks at work and feeling of pressure in the chest, till i burped . its now 26.5 hours of no drink and worried, yes worried of all the withdrawal stories i have read and advice i searched out. No shakes or sweats and have eaten ok today, want to hit the 30 days mark and hope, so hope hit the 90 day. i am restless and modes are swinging from shall i have a beer to come on tiger you can do this, so joining in the May 2011 club and will just see how i get on. Thank punkin soup for starting this tread, i to am just out side London (Essex)

Thank you SR, Paddyb
Old 05-03-2011, 04:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paddyb View Post
Hi Guys and dolls

Today is my day of starting as back to work and all the Hols are over, given me an excause to drink. last drink 10pm last night and 20 units drank yesterday (larger) that's 7 pints of 5% vol. just watched the clock hit 10pm and that was 24 hours with no drink,. Today was tough, a few panic attacks at work and feeling of pressure in the chest, till i burped . its now 26.5 hours of no drink and worried, yes worried of all the withdrawal stories i have read and advice i searched out. No shakes or sweats and have eaten ok today, want to hit the 30 days mark and hope, so hope hit the 90 day. i am restless and modes are swinging from shall i have a beer to come on tiger you can do this, so joining in the May 2011 club and will just see how i get on. Thank pumpkin soup for starting this thread, i to am just out side London (Essex)

Thank you SR, Paddyb
sorry for spelling mistakes
Old 05-03-2011, 08:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

KEEP GOING!!!!! you will make it!
Alcohol withdrawl symptoms are the monster inside you dying. He knows you're killing him and he's struggling to make you feed him. Don't do it. Don't let him win. Starve him of alcohol and he will die. Don't let him trick you. Be strong. It won't last forever and if you stay strong you will win.
Old 05-03-2011, 08:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to all you new guys

I would always drink after I felt better - SR helped me break that cycle - I hope we can help do the same for you guys too

D
Old 05-04-2011, 01:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hoping May will be better...

Unfortunately April didn't go according to plan so I'm back now and hoping to see my sober days increasing.
I feel sad that I had to opt out of the April thread but very happy for those still there! I've kept up to date reading SR posts until I felt ready to get on board again.
I'm looking forward to giving and receiving encouragement to all who join in with May! And the honesty is the main thing that helps me as I do this again, day by day.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Good to see the new joiners to this group. Im sure we can all help each other. Hang on in there you day oners - I feel your pain but it will go away. Lets hope none of us ever go back there.

So day 3 for me, danger day? In reality every day from now on until I dont know when will be a danger as I am feeling better. Especially with the predicted sunshine - thats when the voice tells me its ok to just drink beer.

Was thinking of having a bbq for dinner tonight but have decided against it - will be too much of an extra trigger for me...

I saw someone else posting stuff like this so thought I would copy the style so I can come back to it later when I am craving at my worst time of day - just after work. So here goes......

Today I will not drink because:-

1. I do not want to feel awful tomorrow
2. I never want to be back at day 1 again
3. I dont want to let anyone down (family and you guys on here)
4. I dont want to let myself down
5. The next drink could end up being the death of me, I want to be around for my daughters

Any additions to my list would be welcome - I can think up many more but this will do for now. Have a great day everyone I will be back later for sure.

PS xxx
Old 05-04-2011, 04:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Same here, Marria! April didnt work out as I had planned either.
Started to feel good....The voice was telling me after 4-5 days of not drinking that I could handle a few, needless to say- I was sucked in yet again.....
want to start a new...need to get control of this...
today is my Day 1, yet again!!!! Here I go....
Old 05-04-2011, 04:35 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hope everyone has a good day today

D
Old 05-04-2011, 04:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Just wanted to pop by and wish you all the best and let you know that a sober life is attainable. I drank daily for over thirty years. For the first 90 days I stuggled. I made only one vow--not to pick up that first drink, no matter what. And I didn't. The clarity at three months was amazing. Thanks to my recovery work, I could see that my problem and the effects on my life were worse than I would have admitted to on day one. I also realized I wasn't ever going to be a "normal" drinker, I was never going to give up wanting to get drunk. Which meant I could never drink. Accepting "never" was a huge step for me.

At 6 months I went from not drinking to living sober. There is a big difference. Not drinking means drinking is lurking just around the corner, and you spend your day in fear of a relapse. Living sober is embracing recovery. Drinking is a choice to choose not to make. Fear is gone.

I haven't drank in 8 months. Crazy as it sounds, a lot of the struggles I went through have faded. The best support you have is each other because you are all going through the same thing. Draw on each other for strength. You can do this. Good luck.

Blessed to be sober.

--carl
Old 05-04-2011, 05:26 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thank you , Carl....
I need to realize that I am not a "normal drinker"
and not let that internal voice that starts everyday around 4:00PM tell me I am.....
Old 05-04-2011, 09:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hello, I'm from April, but just barely, and I've been around before too, I was a "Mayflower" last year. I'm wishing good luck to all this year's "Mayflowers".
and I won't drink today because I'm a NON-DRINKER
Old 05-04-2011, 10:04 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Today is my day one. So glad to have found this site. Just knowing that there are other people out there going through the same thing I am is priceless.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Today is day 3 for me. I am at work and felt the beast coming. The cravings just started.
This is the hardest to deal with. Last week on day 4 I gave in. I only lasted 3 days.
I came her to remind myself that I am not alone in this horrible battle.
Thank you for starting this thread.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scared1 View Post
Today is day 3 for me. I am at work and felt the beast coming. The cravings just started.
This is the hardest to deal with. Last week on day 4 I gave in. I only lasted 3 days.
I came her to remind myself that I am not alone in this horrible battle.
Thank you for starting this thread.
I suggest you go get yourself something to eat with a big soda or even a milkshake,then read up on all the tools you can use to fight the cravings. I'm not real good at finding the links, I trust someone will post them here after reading this, but they are where you find all the stickies I believe. Good luck to you
Old 05-04-2011, 10:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks to all new posters and the very best of luck. I will be serving up our dinner soon and thankfully havent had too hard a time of it. The beast entered my mind at work and for a few moments I contemplated but then I thought of coming back on here and knew it would help me shrug it off today at least. Day 4 tomorrow - I made it to day 4 a few weeks ago then blew it - it wont happen this time. Gonna get lots of choccies in to help me through the weekend - its gonna be really tough, kids are away with their Dad and the sunshine and warmth will be beckoning me towards the pub.

Any of you UK members know of any alternatives to AA for face to face support? I am not averse to AA but it hasnt worked for me previously. I will try and get to some meetings to stop me picking up but what else is out there? I only have two sessions of counselling left btw.

Hope you are all doing ok and the day oners are feeling better.

PS x
Old 05-04-2011, 10:50 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I did read something that CaliforniaPoppy just reminded me of. Might body might me missing the sugar that comes from the alcohol. Maybe a candy or shake will help my cravings. Thanks for the suggestion.