67.43%
Every 2nd day
12.30%
Every 3 or 4 days
14.67%
On the weekends only
5.60%
Voters: 1268. You may not vote on this poll

Were you a daily drinker or every other day?

Old 01-03-2013, 05:59 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  

I was (am still-until I can prove otherwise) an every 3 to 4 day drinker. Today makes only day 2... again.

See, I joined this site back in November, with the same resolve to quit. Incidentally, I was only on day 2 then as well. Through-out that entire month, and halfway into December, I was able to stick to a once a week "plan".

But as the holidays drew closer, I began slipping back into that every 3 to 4 day pattern again. Which is why I've stayed away from this place until yesterday. Felt a bit guilty I guess...

Needless to say, the once a week thing apparently doesn't work for me. I need to completely quit.

At the moment, I'm feeling more resolve than ever. But it is so easy to say that now. Once the withdrawal related anxiety, insomnia and tremors return, I know the temptation will come back with a vengence. Plus, it doesn't help to have an active drinker living with me, and his drinker friends coming around all of the time.

I hope this time to stay more involved w/this site than I did back in November. That way, when the temptation hits, maybe I can turn to you folks? Btw, (newbie question)... This site is SO big, with tons of different forums... is there a specific forum I can turn to when temptation hits?

Yeah, I know- AA is very important, and I intend to find one near me. Soon. But in the meantime, is it ok to come here for support when the urge to drink hits?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer these questions for me. Also, sorry for the length of this post...
Old 01-03-2013, 06:05 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  

Welcome back! I think if you post right here, in this forum area, newcomers, you will get speedy responses if you feel in need of immediate help. Mention it in your topic that you need help now, please. i see it all the time.

Oh, and join the January group and 30 days and under. Those will be current and busy as well.
Old 01-03-2013, 06:11 AM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rochele View Post
Welcome back! I think if you post right here, in this forum area, newcomers, you will get speedy responses if you feel in need of immediate help. Mention it in your topic that you need help now, please. i see it all the time.

Oh, and join the January group and 30 days and under. Those will be current and busy as well.
Thank You! Good to know!!!
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Chronic Binge Drinker...every weekend, drunk every time I did drink. Once a week...at the most two. Awful. I can't do it anymore.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

I was a chronic binge drinker for 5 or 6 days, then abstain for 1 or 2 days then back on it for the again. This all came about from being a sociable drinker once per week 20 years ago when I used to only drink beer and have a few vodkas. I gradually became very unsociable as alcohol took a grip of my life and until recently it's been bottles of scotch whisky with only a few beers. Scared what I will become if the trend continues so time to wisen up and reclaim some lost years of my life.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:24 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  

Most recently a daily drinker though I tried to moderate by just weekends or every few days.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 227 (permalink)  
p***enger

Every day, usually over the last year or so 1/3 liter of gin on my own, plus often a few more w/drinking partners.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

Almost every day. Some days a lot, some days less. But... always planning, regretting, controlling, worrying and wanting another. Ahhhh finally the weight has been lifted.
Old 01-03-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shelly009 View Post
I am very curious to find out how many daily drinkers we have vs people who binge drink or drink heavily every few days.

Please take this poll! Thanks!
This Poll was taken during 2010...from June to Aug 2010. Was there ever results posted for that time period?

Why are we still answering this Poll and what is it being used for, if I may ask?
Old 01-03-2013, 01:07 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

On a good day 6-7 old fashions which are a 2 shot drink. Sometimes a couple of beers also or a bloody mary for breakfast.
I'm sober day 3, I don't want to do that anymore.
Diana
Old 01-03-2013, 01:21 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by TrixMixer View Post
This Poll was taken during 2010...from June to Aug 2010. Was there ever results posted for that time period?

Why are we still answering this Poll and what is it being used for, if I may ask?
SR polls are member generated, usually by personal interest - anyone can start one...and they are not scientific

D
Old 01-10-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Every day for me. Weekdays I would stop at a local microbrew pub and have one or 2 pints of stronger beer on my way home from work. Then when I got home usually anywhere between 3 and 6 Miller High life Light's. For some reason my brain thought the light beer made it better lol. On weekends I'd generally go through 8-12 light beers throughout the day.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Every Single day-- Whiskey and beer. Sometimes up to an entire 750 of whiskey and 12 beers.

BUT NOT TODAY
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 234 (permalink)  

My story is pretty short, but it escalated a lot quicker than any examples here.
I drank for ~ 6 years.

-In the first year i drank only saturday (but pretty heavy, i didn't realised that back then) and in the second half of the year, friday and saturday. I drank a lot back there, and pretty much everything, i hadn't any preference.

-In the second year i starded to add to that sometimes thursday, sometimes sunday, and sometimes both. I started to drink only beer, as my organism couldn't stand hard liqueur and wine made me the worst headaches.

-In the third year i started to not make difference between days, one night drunk, the second night, hungover as hell(the only time since now i slept normally, without being passed out). With the exception of week-ends, when i was always drunk.

-In the 4th, 5th and 6th year, i started to drink daily, with almost no exception, from 8-9pm until passing out. Sometimes earlier, sometimes late.

-In my last year of drinking, 2012, i started to feel guilty for my drinking, so i tried to get sober by myself. Maybe 8 times i managed to not drink one day, ~3 times i din't drink for 2 days and 2 times i stood sober for 3 days.

Not to mention, in the last 2 years i started to have "bad days" or maybe should i call them "days with nothing to do", especially on weekends, when i started to drink at 1pm, passed out, woke up at 8pm, drinked again until passing out again.

I escalated really quickly, and keeping in mind that i only have near 25 yrs now, if i continued down this path, i would become the best in this branch by 30, and probably dead by 35.
So, thank you AA for saving me!!
Old 01-10-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

All day, everyday..more so on nights when I didn't have anything to do the next day..except drink.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  

Daily wino I was!
Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  

Pretty much every waking moment. It was miserable.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 238 (permalink)  

I would go on 5-7 day long beer binges and get to the point where I couldn't and would lay about being sick with the DT's for 2-3 days and when I felt better start all over again...that was the last 2 years before that it was every day when I was working... was doing that for quite a few years
Old 01-15-2013, 09:47 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

In the beginning, a few beers couple of times a week. By the end, at least 10 ounces of scotch a day.... and sometimes much, much more.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease. It sneaks up one drink at a time until it has you in its grip. This is day 15 sober for me
Old 01-15-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  

daily

Maybe a reception or happy hour on the way home from work. Bottle of wine with/after dinner. Then nightcap. Then repeat. Increase on weekends. Reduce some days, increase other days. I thought I just wasn't a morning person . . .