Notices

Class of July 2008 Part III

Old 08-16-2008, 09:50 AM
  # 101 (permalink)  

good work Stone, you are worth it keep coming back!

Just some weird musings from my walk/run (mostly walk haha) this morning.
If I drank an average of two times per week, for 25 years, that's 104 times per year, for a total of 2600 times being drunk.

Now, if I am hungover for each of those times, and probably sometimes for two days as well, but let's make it easy and say, just one hungover day for each drunk day. So that's 2600 lost days to hangovers, which is what, 7 years of my life gone????

EEEEK!
wait a minute.
ok somebody out there who can do math please help. hahah
I couldn't have lost seven years could I??
I mean the other days are lost too but I was just thinking as I was exercizing about how I would have rarely, if ever, exercised (or done anything else for that matter) when hungover because I always felt too sh1tty to do anything.
So imagine people with long term illnesses/diseases like cancer, diabetes, etc., things that would keep you functioning at about half your regular capacity.

ok feedback from math whiz please =) noba
Old 08-16-2008, 10:20 AM
  # 102 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dancinggirl View Post
T2S: don't mean to be picky...but aren't we only on Day 35?!
LOL. Your right. No fronts? Darn. OK. day 35 and feelin good. Glad your back Suzette...... er uh..... I mean Stone.
Old 08-16-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 103 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

grateful for all of you
Old 08-16-2008, 06:31 PM
  # 104 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Day 34 is coming to an end. I'm eagerly awaiting day 35 tomorrow. Five weeks sober! I'm amazed at myself for staying with it this long. But with each passing day I feel more resolve to stay sober. Eight months ago I had little resolve - just the knowledge that I needed to quit. I needed to quit, but I didn't want to quit - not yet. Well 35 days ago I wanted to quit. And I'm accomplishing that - finally!

I like counting my days. I feel stronger with the passing of each twenty four hour time period. I finally like being sober. Like it enough to stay that way, no matter what it takes. I only have to refuse the first one. I look at my dogs and say "no thanks" to alcohol.

I can't explain but I just feel that this time I'm not going back, I'm going to keep moving forward. I have to stay sober or one of my 'yets' may come true. And I'm not sticking around alcohol just to find out when I make "the" mistake that kills me,.

Nope folks, that was my last day one. My life is still a mess, but I like myself a lot better when I deal with things sober.

:ghug

Thank you all for helping me so much!
Old 08-16-2008, 06:41 PM
  # 105 (permalink)  
Administrator

I admire your confidence least.

I guess we all see it differently.

I can't say I've had my last day one - I hope I have, I believe I have - but I don't know that.

I have many years of experience at this - for me arrogance led to complacency...which lead to drinking again.

For me nowadays it's fine to not be sure - I never forget I'm one drink away from madness - but I know I'm always working and watching too.

Diff'rent strokes.
D
Old 08-16-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 106 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

It is so true....the battle is never over. We need to stay on top of it or it may win.

I admire your progress least. I remember your struggle and I felt your pain. There is that feeling of never being able to get past the demon, but you can and you now know that through your experience. I felt the same way. I didn't think I could do it. With each sober day, I gain more strength, but I will continue to keep on my toes ready to meet my challenges.

Keep fighting!!!!
Old 08-16-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 107 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

being sure I was cured, fixed over it, cost me a relaspe of 11 years. No regrets as I have a much better view of life now and teh knowledge that I am an addict for life and need to keep vigiliant using the tools I have been given.

Kevin
Old 08-16-2008, 08:28 PM
  # 108 (permalink)  

Dee74
Sorry your day was so ...If it is acceptable to you, I would like to ask a question that is none of my business. Why do you choose to hide your gender? When I first responded to you as a female, I received a number of PM"s infoming me that you were male. I don't care, but just wondered.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 109 (permalink)  
Administrator

wow. You've gobsmacked me. Are you bored?

I have never hidden my gender. Go to my profile. It says Male. Read a decent selection of my posts and it's clear I'm male.

I know Dee is commonly a woman's name in the US. Not my fault - I live in Australia.

You made an assumption when you first responded to me, months ago. You've been corrected, yet you're still on this? and you post about it rather than PM me?

Go and help some people recover.
Stop wasting both our time.

D
Old 08-16-2008, 09:13 PM
  # 110 (permalink)  

Dee's a girl?....LOL. I hope his girlfriend is aware of this too...

First it was Suzette and Stoney-now this? What is this thread coming to?!!!

It pays to read a few posts before making assumptions
Old 08-17-2008, 02:25 AM
  # 111 (permalink)  

Moving on......

Good morning class! I'm travelling back home today, 10 hours in the car with a smelly, wet dog in my lap.

Just wanted you all to know that I've been given so many great thoughts to re-think from you people in posts recently, and I really appreciate everything you have all done for me!

Stay sober for the next 24 please! I'll be checking in tomorrow.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:04 AM
  # 112 (permalink)  

Dee a girl? Dee who?

Another day, I feel demoralised as usual, after my binge. It has to stop sometime, so maybe it will be this time. I cannot lose hope.

Some people like to count days and some don't, I am one that doesn't.
Old 08-17-2008, 03:41 AM
  # 113 (permalink)  
Administrator

Don't lose hope mate- but don't flounder either - what's done is done - move on to ensuring it doesn't happen again

D
Old 08-17-2008, 04:51 AM
  # 114 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Yeah, that does sound sort of cocky. Let me rephrase it: I want this to be my last time starting from day one. I feel sure it can be if I just stay vigilant and never forget the beast is not dead, only sleeping, and can wake up in an instant and wreck everything. I'm just determined that my last day one actually 'is' my last day one. Getting too old to keep starting over. want to keep on going forward.

I am fully aware of what can happen if I let my guard down for even a second. I'm not being complacent, just determined!

I am also hopeful this is my last time starting over as I've never been sober five weeks! So I'm doing really well!! Being sober sure beats being drunk or sick from drinking!
Old 08-17-2008, 07:43 AM
  # 115 (permalink)  

I don't think about the future to much anymore, not sure if that is good or bad. If I start to think about it to much I get into all these possible senarios and it gets kinda overwhelming. I am not sure if that is healthy or not but it works for me.

I don't count days either, I have a gadget on my desktop that does if for me lol. Seriously though, I do kinda like to know how many days sober I am, it gives me a feeling of accomplishment.

wishing everyone a happy day

Sax
Old 08-17-2008, 09:02 AM
  # 116 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

wow. You've gobsmacked me. Are you bored?

I have never hidden my gender. Go to my profile. It says Male. Read a decent selection of my posts and it's clear I'm male.

I know Dee is commonly a woman's name in the US. Not my fault - I live in Australia.

You made an assumption when you first responded to me, months ago. You've been corrected, yet you're still on this? and you post about it rather than PM me?

Go and help some people recover.
Stop wasting both our time.

D
You are absolutely right. Please accept my apology.
Old 08-17-2008, 09:24 AM
  # 117 (permalink)  

Day 38. Sounds like Im counting days trapped on a deserted island or something. Feeling really low today, oh well.
Old 08-17-2008, 10:14 AM
  # 118 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by felly79 View Post
Day 38. Sounds like Im counting days trapped on a deserted island or something. Feeling really low today, oh well.
Hang in there felly. I stopped counting my days. I go one day at a time now. Congrats on day 38.
Originally Posted by Saxony View Post
I don't think about the future to much anymore, not sure if that is good or bad. If I start to think about it to much I get into all these possible senarios and it gets kinda overwhelming. I am not sure if that is healthy or not but it works for me.

I don't count days either, I have a gadget on my desktop that does if for me lol. Seriously though, I do kinda like to know how many days sober I am, it gives me a feeling of accomplishment.

wishing everyone a happy day

Sax
You really seem to be doing good Sax. Keep up the good work.
Originally Posted by least View Post
Yeah, that does sound sort of cocky. Let me rephrase it: I want this to be my last time starting from day one. I feel sure it can be if I just stay vigilant and never forget the beast is not dead, only sleeping, and can wake up in an instant and wreck everything. I'm just determined that my last day one actually 'is' my last day one. Getting too old to keep starting over. want to keep on going forward.

I am fully aware of what can happen if I let my guard down for even a second. I'm not being complacent, just determined!

I am also hopeful this is my last time starting over as I've never been sober five weeks! So I'm doing really well!! Being sober sure beats being drunk or sick from drinking!
I let my guard down and blew 2 1/2 years. Is this day 35 now?
Originally Posted by stone View Post
Dee a girl? Dee who?

Another day, I feel demoralised as usual, after my binge. It has to stop sometime, so maybe it will be this time. I cannot lose hope.

Some people like to count days and some don't, I am one that doesn't.
I dont really count mine either. The first 30 was different. Now its time to move on and just focus on one day at a time. Hang in there buddy. I know you can do this.
Old 08-17-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 119 (permalink)  

Some really great posts lately! I love how we are all hitting the same spots right around the same point. It's much easier to deal with 'what now?' when there are other people there to understand and help you.

In fact, I've been thinking about the finality of not drinking ever again. Before I relapsed, I had a great plan and was thrilled to meet each new day sober. When I broke that promise to myself for a few weeks, it seemed to have broken something. Though I didn't drink, I seemed to have this dread hanging over me that it could all go wrong again.

So I think what I'm learning this time around is, that's OK. The key is to get back up, no matter what. None of us are perfect, and crap happens. I think this is a more realistic idea of recovery, and one I'm growing more comfortable with. I'm on vacation now, and it's been really tough to see everyone drinking all day long and having a blast. But, it's also very nice to be able to wake up early and run, or even read a book in a single day! In the end, I think I'm fine with that, even if it's just for today.

Thanks everyone, and keep going!
Old 08-17-2008, 08:32 PM
  # 120 (permalink)  

I'm so over counting days-I let others do it for me-LOL. I'm past getting excited about not drinking today too-weird but true.It's more that I'm looking at my life and wondering where I go from here.What do I want it to be-how do I make it fulfilling and meaningful.It's a strange transition-from just focusing on 'I didn't drink today' to 'How do I want my life to look a year from now and how do I get there?'.It's an interesting mix of emotional stuff and spiritual-and while I'm uncomfortable with being without a crutch of sorts-I also find I'm curious about how it may turn out.I'm taking baby steps in creating a new life-but they feel good.

Bet none of this made sense, did it?LOL

Go well all

Julesxox