Notices

Class of July 2008 Part III

Old 08-12-2008, 02:17 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Jig

Hi all,

Not a good day for me, not a bad one, just feeling pretty flat and empty right now.
I've got the flu which probably isn't helping.

Anyhow, congrats to everyone for staying with it.

Take care all.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:50 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning! Is anyone else feeling that "itch" after passing the 30 day mark!? Just me?
Old 08-12-2008, 05:41 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Today is my 30 days and feeling good about it. Haven't got any cravings lately but if and when they happen I'll be ready to play the tape to the end. Besides I want to stay sober way more than I want to drink. Actually lately I don't want to drink at all. I'm training myself to react to thoughts of drinking as if I'd rolled around in poison ivy. So far that strategy is working.
Old 08-12-2008, 07:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Good morning all, day 21 for me. Went to a meeting last night and feel pretty good. Keeping busy definitely helps me because I don't have enough free time to get myself in trouble with my own self-destructive thoughts. Good luck to everyone!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Day 34 for me and holding strong.
Old 08-12-2008, 11:51 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Congradulations on 30 days Least. Awesome job. My day started off rough, but I can always start it over again at anytime.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nobingealready View Post
ok checking in on day 15
kind of lonely today. I am reading the posts about relationships, and wishing I was back together with my ex. It's so hard to be alone. But then sometimes I am happy that way, being able to do my own thing, enjoying the peace and quiet, watch what I want to on TV, eat what I want, go where I want...
that's also how i have gotten into trouble so many times in the past though. just me left to my own devices.
Hey nobinge,
Having a rough year with my wife - she's bipolar and I'm a binge drinker. Who new that could be a problem combination??? So anyway, we've been going back and forth being separated for more hours and days than is normal for us because we've fought so much over the last year. (Funny but since I stopped drinking we're closer now than we've been in long time and actually communicating)

Still, I relate to your comment about enjoying being on your own. I don't want to break up though.....for many reasons including the fact that I might be way more tempted to drink on my own.

Is that a screwed up reason to stay married or what? As I said, it's not the only reason I don't want to break up but I feel weird about that reason.

Any comments or advice from the July class might help me sort this one out.

I can't believe I'm putting this business out there in front of all you guys, but this group feels pretty tight so I'm going for it.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by joinedintime View Post
Hey nobinge,
Having a rough year with my wife - she's bipolar and I'm a binge drinker. Who new that could be a problem combination??? So anyway, we've been going back and forth being separated for more hours and days than is normal for us because we've fought so much over the last year. (Funny but since I stopped drinking we're closer now than we've been in long time and actually communicating)

Still, I relate to your comment about enjoying being on your own. I don't want to break up though.....for many reasons including the fact that I might be way more tempted to drink on my own.

Is that a screwed up reason to stay married or what? As I said, it's not the only reason I don't want to break up but I feel weird about that reason.

I can't believe I'm putting this business out there in front of all you guys, but this group feels pretty tight so I'm going for it.
Its cool. I post plenty of my stuff here too. Not very good at relationship advice myself. Im in a new realtionship and it can be tough as early as I am in my recovery, but Im crazy about this girl so I am giving it my best shot.
Old 08-12-2008, 06:27 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey nobinge,

Thanks Joinedintime for your post, it is very helpful to read about others experiences, not just with quitting but with all the stuff that goes with it!
You said in your post that you are communicating more now, I take it that's a positive thing? If so, and if there are no real pressing issues that would indicate splitting up, then maybe now is not the time to make that change since you are going through a big change already with getting sober. On the other hand, you are the only one who can decide whether this relationship is healthy or toxic for you (and your wife). Hopefully she is getting help too. I'm not a doctor but would recommend looking into not just traditional medication and therapy but also alternative things like omega 3 and stuff like that (to think that nutrition is considered "alternative"!! but like I said I am no doctor but have a close friend who was diagnosed with bipolar, she ended up trying different meds and didn't have a good experience with them and so she tried using a variety of nutritional supplements which definitely helped stabilize her mood a LOT, she takes omega 3 and also is eating much more fish. Just want to share her experience in case it is helpful).
anyway, sometimes it's important to take one big change on at a time.
Best of luck to you keep posting and keep going forward! --noba
Old 08-12-2008, 06:34 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

day 16

hi all just checking in to write that it's day 16 =)
got another concert possibly lined up for Saturday. This one will be a really tough one though, as it's a band I have gone to see, oh, maybe 30+ times!! they are a favorite of mine (obviously) and it's yet another setting in which I would normally drink quite a bit before seeing them. Like last weekend, i will have a plan, but, it might not even happen that I can go so....
but I know now that even if I am just considering doing something like that, that I need to have a plan ready in case.
Still lonely about aforementioned relationship. My ex is not a drinker, and became concerned about my binge drinking. I don't know that that was the thing that ended the relationship, rather, we live very far away from each other and we weren't able to move in together yet for a variety of reasons. I still love him very much and wish we could get back together. He is truly a wonderful person and is mature and healthy (probably why I couldn't keep him =(
sigh.............
ok well, going to bed now, am tired. I exercised again today though, day 3 for that! Feeling stronger every day (well, sort of)
congratulations to everyone and their 30 days! and all other days!
keep on going!
in sober solidarity, noba
Old 08-12-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hey Least congrats on 30 days That is phenomenal... Keep up the awesome work!!!

Jules glad you are having a good day too...

Mikey dating early in recovery you are braver then me. I get stared at meetings, sometimes I want to crawl out.. I could not date if you paid me so unavailable. But glad you are happy.

day 57 here. Hope to get my 60 day chip on Friday and my license back. I will celebrate with something special. Maybe a Shirley Temple for nostalgia (there is no alcohol in them I drank them as a child; ginerale and grenadine)

Dancinggirl I got edgy around 30 days very emotional up and down. Getting close to 60 is hard. This kid I was briefly talking to between my break up and getting sober was asking about me, made me for a brief second want to go out and dance and live it up. I quit drinking before it really got tough for me. I was still having fun but I know the fun would have ended so it is a battle. Sometimes I feel as a binge drinker that I can go out but I know it will be a repetitive circle and I do not want to loose my 57 days...
Old 08-12-2008, 09:24 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Is that a screwed up reason to stay married or what?
Yes-it is.

Sorry-I know I'm being blunt-but that's my nature.I'm a bit confused.On the one hand you're saying you're communicating better with your wife-then you say something like this?It's very self absorbed.But I did get it's not the only reason.I guess I don't have all the information.I'm not in any way suggesting you leave her-but I am suggesting you stop focusing on her behavior(and maybe blaming her for why you drink?) and just take care of your 'side of the street' as they say.Early sobriety is not a time to make major decisions about your life-as far as changes go.Get used to living sober/differently, clean up your own issues and then maybe address the 'stuff' in your marriage.

Just my opinion and I accept I could be completely wrong here.But it just sounds to me like you're thinking way too far ahead and focusing on distractions rather than your own recovery.

Feel free to go off at me-LOL.I do mean well-but I'm not good at coddling people either.It's okay if I'm wrong.

Jules.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Least & Paperdolls - You're doing so great. A real inspiration.

Sax - You're brave. My co-worker wanted to quit with me last week and I was like uh...not ready. I'm smoking a lot more sober which is surprising considering how much I used to chain smoke at night with my booze. Go figure.

Sorry your day sucked D. Hope tomorrow will be better.

-Kathleen
Old 08-12-2008, 09:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Administrator

that day was yesterday for me BL LOL
today's fine

D
Old 08-12-2008, 09:42 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Oh....what planet am I tonight?!! :wtf2

Well, uh....glad you're feeling better!
Old 08-12-2008, 09:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

it's the downunder time difference LOL

Old 08-12-2008, 09:58 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good. I'm glad I'm not completely losing my marbles. It's not even 10 PM here.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Up late and can't sleep, pretty restless for some reason so I'll just ramble a bit...

Been finding that reading during recovery helps me alot for controlling cravings. I say this because I have been reading inspirational books and some spiritual enlightenment books which I have been most enjoying. The fact to realize that everyday I can change the outlook of my life is amazing. To leave the past behind and to focus on the moment and being the best I can.

I am a better person because I have experienced going through addiction and have found the power within to face this and make the changes in my life necessary to move forward and get my mind back on making the right decisions in the future. I don't feel like I have come to full realization of how to live in the moment and not let my history dictate how I act. But I do feel like I am more conscious of this and it has helped tremendously when I let myself slip into a lull where I just sit away and waste time.

Is anyone else into reading for helping their recovery? If so what do you read and what does it do for you? For me it is a way to learn about myself and grow and use it as an opportunity for being able to step back and look at the bigger picture and understand what I'm going through better.

Anyways I am pretty tired now so I'll cut it off here. Hope everyone is having a goodnight sleep
Old 08-13-2008, 04:38 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Bruce glad reading is helping. I have not started reading anything as I do not have a license to get to a book store... But hopefully I will get it Friday as I love to read (mostly trashy books but it is a start)

Today is day 58 for me. Today I am grateful..
Old 08-13-2008, 05:18 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Today is day 31 for me and very excited that I'm doing so well. Considering how many times I've tried to stop drinking and relapsed over and over, it's nothing short of a miracle that I've made it so far!

congratulations to everyone here on their sober time!!

:ghug