Notices

For those CHRONICALLY less than 2 weeks sober Part 2

Old 08-19-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 421 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey folks, knock off time already (yay!)

Well, I didn't exactly get heaps done at work today, but I did get some things done. I've cheated a little on my diet - had some gerkin dip with my carrot sticks. I don't think I'll beat myself up over it

Had 3 smokes which is a lot less than usual, so again - yay.

Home now to get stuck into the Uni stuff. *sigh*

See you all tomorrow
Old 08-19-2008, 01:10 AM
  # 422 (permalink)  

Colagirl, you and I apparently have the same new sobriety date - August 17th?. I just finished day 2 and am starting day 3 now. (Or rather, I will start it when I get up in the morning).

I'm doing OK... I sorry I haven't been around as much lately to give support to you all.

:ghug2 to everyone still struggling!
Old 08-19-2008, 07:27 AM
  # 423 (permalink)  

I so obviously belong on this chronic thread. Not even counting days right now because I don't feel that level of committment. Down in the dumps right now.

evan - you are so right. It's simple, but not easy. I KNOW what I have to do, but I just don't do it. Why? For me it's because change is hard and uncomfortable. And what do I do when things are uncomfortable? I drink. I need to push through the pain of change and learn to live my life without alcohol.

Trying - did you end up having a conversation with your hubby?

So this past weekend we went away with friends. Thursday night I had a couple drinks but didn't have a desire for more, which is absolutely amazing for me. But I really didn't want to have a hangover on Friday so that kept me from drinking more.
Friday night I got very drunk. And regretted it, of course. I didn't play the tape through....I didn't worry about the hangover Saturday morning....and down the slippery slope I slid.

So thinking about the consequenses DOES work for me. I need to focus on that because it does work.

I'm also reading "Drinking: A Love Story" right now - almost halfway through the book. I plan to finish it today.

Like I said, I'm pretty down right now about drinking/sobriety. I have no desire to work on my sobriety right now....well, other than posting here and reading that book. Which is why I'll finish reading the book today - gotta do SOMETHING positive toward sobriety.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:47 AM
  # 424 (permalink)  

Nayster,

Sounds like a good start to me. I really enjoyed Drinking A Love Story and still read peices of it at least once a week. Could care less about her relationship with
Julian but she has a lot good insight in there. Really good book. I read it last year and didn't quit drinking. Well, not for long. Wasn't ready yet. I'm sorry you're feeling down.

Glad to see Sobergirl back!

You guys....I'm on day 29. Can you believe that? Sorry...you can smack me if you want.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:15 AM
  # 425 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone! Congrats Bostonluv, of course we don't want to smack you, you are an inspiration. Cola girl, welcome back and Nayster too. Evan, you've got some great wisdom there. Sobergirl and ForeverD: keep it up! We can all do this together and Trying: I'm going to read your other thread. I hope everything is OK with your husband...

My heart is with each of you. I think it was Evan who talked about the power of the group and that is so true. I wouldn't and couldn't be sober without you.
:ghug2
Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 426 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

Hi Everyone,

I went and bought a bottle of wine last night but I didn't drink it. By the time I got home it was late so I figured why bother. So It is only a matter of time before I drink it.

My husband came over yesterday and gathered up every last trace of his belongings. He says the separation is temporary but time will tell I guess. We separated about this time last year for two months and he came back. But I don't know if he will this time.

Today is his birthday and he told me last night he would be over tonight (probably just to get his presents ha!). So hopefully he will stick to his word. I think there is a 50/50 chance he won't be here.

Well, I'm not posting again about counting days because that bottle of wine is here and it's only a matter of time, so I'll be back on my next day one.

Hide and seek I liked what you said about the feelings that precede picking up a drink and I remember last time it felt like I was numb and couldn't function until I had the release of the first drink. I drove to the store in like a fugue state, it was weird. Almost like I was paralyzed mentally, couldn't even do housework until downing that first one..anyone else ever fell that way?
Old 08-19-2008, 11:03 AM
  # 427 (permalink)  

just came here to read a few postings....I appreciate this thread a lot

DAY 1 for me
Old 08-19-2008, 11:12 AM
  # 428 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

*HUGS* to everyone.

Boston - GREAT JOB. :bounce
Old 08-19-2008, 11:31 AM
  # 429 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SeaHorse View Post
because that bottle of wine is here and it's only a matter of time, so I'll be back on my next day one.
I too have a bottle of wine at home that I have been thinking about ALL day. I wonder if I will have some tonite, well I am pretty sure I know the answer to that...although I have been only having a few glasses a night, I know it is only a matter of time before I drink the whole bottle.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:19 PM
  # 430 (permalink)  
Ann

ksplash that happened to me last week. I drove to the store in a daze. Then didn't drink my purchase - for awhile - But when I had it in my hand my Good Self was screaming "DON"T DO IT - JUST DON"T!!" But the evil twin said "WTF, one won't hurt - just one - come on- just one." At least there is a part of me screaming for sobriety now. Normally, I wouldn't have even paid attention. . . . .
Old 08-19-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 431 (permalink)  
friend of bill w.

Hi guys, I may make it through day three today but only because I am on call for my son calling for a ride around 11 tonight after the movies. Otherwise that bottle may have been opened already. My husband is still not here, no phone call and it is 7:15 pm. He said between 7 and 8 but he is chronically late but I'm not holding my breath.
So either way if my son needs a ride or not, means i would'nt be able to drink til past 11 so no sense in that. Might as well wait until another day.

I had a pretty good day anyways. My son called me this afternoon for a ride to the mall and afterwards I taught him how to drive my standard (he has his learner's permit). Then I had to drop him off at football practice. And be on call for a ride tonight. So even if husband ditches me tonight (if he does he won't get his presents!), I feel filled up emotionally by the time I had with my son. Thank god my son has never seen me drunk, but he knows of my history, so he would be very upset if he knew I drank here and there. One good thing is between him and husband nagging me I gave up smoking. It's been three months now or so.
Bye for now
Old 08-19-2008, 05:10 PM
  # 432 (permalink)  

Bostonluv - yes, there are things I read in Drinking: A Love Story that I need to highlight or paste on my fridge. I identify with many things she wrote...

I didn't finish it yet but I plan to read more tonight. I've been experiencing some strange physical pain since Sunday...and paranoid it's from alcohol abuse. I also bought the book "Under The Influence" and will probably page through that tonight. Knowing the physical damage alcohol can do might scare me straight.

Maybe I'm right, maybe I'm wrong....but I can almost say I get a feeling about what will and what won't work regarding my sobriety. And knowing how I am destroying my body & health with alcohol could really flip the switch for me and make me want to be sober more than I want the drink.

*sigh*
Old 08-19-2008, 05:19 PM
  # 433 (permalink)  
Administrator

I so obviously belong on this chronic thread.
No you don't. No-one does.
Don't take this the wrong way guys, but I'd love to see this thread closed one day.

I tried for 15 years - nearly every week I'd try and fail - definitely every week (and multiple times) for the last two years at least. I didn't give up and I'm grateful for that now.

I had go through a lot of hard soul searching to get sober - I had to fight every craving, fight every bad thought...sometimes it was just down to I will not drink today.

but I did it. It's possible

D
Old 08-19-2008, 10:15 PM
  # 434 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hey all. Having a bit of a rough day today.

*sigh*

Hope everyone else is well. Hugs and support to all.

Day 3.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM
  # 435 (permalink)  
Administrator

hang in there FD...afternoon tea time already

D
Old 08-20-2008, 12:37 AM
  # 436 (permalink)  

Forever December,

What's mucking up your day? Day 3 is hard. That's what you're on right? Have a cig and some chocolate. I'm a bad influance but it's better to screw those things up then feel down again with drinking. I really just want you to suceed. I'm really really cheering for you to make it 11+ days and beat your old record. I just know you can do it.
Old 08-20-2008, 04:32 AM
  # 437 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I agree with Dee: no one 'belongs' on the chronic thread, some of us just have/had a harder time than others at 'getting it'. But all of us can move on out of here and up the sober ladder. I was a chronic relapser but now have made it to 38 days! A miracle! So if I can do it, so can you!

:ghug

Never stop trying! It can be done!
Old 08-20-2008, 05:35 AM
  # 438 (permalink)  

Finally made it to Day 2 again.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:53 AM
  # 439 (permalink)  

Good job Lyddie And least and boston... oOo you guys are rockin it!

Day 10. I can't believe I've made it this long.
Old 08-20-2008, 05:57 AM
  # 440 (permalink)  
getting there

Morning everyone,
Day 4 here... yes Sobergirl, August 17th is the day! You still hanging in there?

Boston - 30 DAYS!! That's so awesome! I will do my best to always trail you by 26 .