Notices

For Those With Less than 2 weeks Sober Part 2

Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 AM
  # 121 (permalink)  

Well i found out that the break from him was all i needed..I have been hard headed thinking i could do this alone and not go to meetings..Well last night i broke down and cried for 30 mins..I realized i CANNOT do this alone..I finally caved..I will be going to every meeting from now on and i am seeking my higher power finally

After avoiding my ex for the whole 24 hours..He talked to me on ***** and cleared some things up..We are not dating through this but we have made amends and are doing ok being around each other for short times..mainly just meetings..He also talked to his sponsor and realized he was pushing me too hard to get into AA...He finally understands that i am getting more into it just at a slower pace

I am happy i finally saw the light and know i need my higher power and AA members for support
Old 02-02-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Barb, congrats on graduating from this thread! See you over there soon!

Manda, happy to hear your HP has shown you the light and that you and your ex have come to an understanding. It gets better, believe me.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 123 (permalink)  

hello from SF

Hi guys--I'm briefly online at my friend's condo in San Francisco. Although the weather has been yucky, I've had a wonderful weekend. My son (adopted) is here visiting his biological extended family--aunts, uncles and cousins. My two best friends are here. One lives in DC and is here for a conference, the other one lives here. Her daughter is pregnant and overdue, so I was hoping to meet the baby, but we're still on babywatch.

I've had a great weekend. I was worried because we usually drink wine when we get together, but I told them both a while ago that I was quitting, and they have joined my in not drinking this weekend for solidarity.

I guess I've graduated from this thread (Day 15 for me), but I'll probably be back to check on how everybody is doing.

Peace,

Jana
Old 02-03-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Made it to the end of day nine. My body is feeling good over all. I do have a few things I need to see a doctor about when I get insurance but the withdrawals and panic attacks are gone. My head is clearing but I hope it gets better than this.

I still have depression and get cravings at some point every day but:

I am willing to do whatever it takes to stay sober.

I crave sobriety. What would it be like to live without alcohol? I want to know.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:35 AM
  # 125 (permalink)  
being me

Thumbs up hello again

I haven't been on SR in awhile, but I feel like sharing today and joining this supportive thread. I have smoked pot daily (and constantly) for around 10 of the last 13 years. My lungs are not in good shape, and my head is sick of living in the fog.

I have realized that depression and anxiety takes me back to smoking, and I am learning to handle this without drugs. Just getting off my butt and taking care of my chores or reading inspirational SR threads helps me keep positive. And being sober does feel so good.

Go day 2!!!

Congrats to everyone on this thread; thanks for sharing your stories, and letting me tell mine.

K
Old 02-04-2008, 09:48 AM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by grrrr View Post
I have realized that depression and anxiety takes me back to smoking, and I am learning to handle this without drugs. Just getting off my butt and taking care of my chores or reading inspirational SR threads helps me keep positive. And being sober does feel so good.
Singing tho choir K.

Last edited by Dean62; 02-04-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:56 AM
  # 127 (permalink)  

Hi there.

Where is everyone?

I'm on day four now. I stopped drinking on the first day of the year but slipped up last weekend.

I just came across this cool poem, what do you think?

Autobiography in Five Short Chapters
by Portia Nelson

I. I walk down the street.
There's a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I fall in.
I am lost.....I am helpless;
it isn't my fault.
It takes forever to find a way out.

II. I walk down the same street.
There is a deep hole in the sidewalk.
I pretend I don't see it.
I fall in again.
I can't believe I am in the same place;
but it isn't my fault.
It still takes a long time to get out.

III. I walk down the same street.
I see it is there.
I still fall in....it's a habit.
My eyes are open.
I know where I am.
It is my fault.
I get out immediately.

IV. I walk down the same street.
I walk around it.

V. I walk down a different street.
Old 02-06-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I love it, Mandarina! How totally appropriate. I bet a lot of people can relate. I wonder if Portia was an alcoholic.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:26 AM
  # 129 (permalink)  
being me

nice poem

That is a nice poem, with a sentiment i think a lot of us can understand.

I am on day 3 today. Feeling a little down, stupid things happening lately. I know my sobriety will be challenged tonight, i need to gear myself up to say no. I can see that hole in the ground coming...

K
Old 02-07-2008, 08:29 AM
  # 130 (permalink)  
being me

I made it

Didn't smoke last night, even though I could have. Feeling good today and optimistic that I will graduate from this thread.

I had actually counted my days wrong, on day 5 today!

Where are all the newbies??

K
Old 02-07-2008, 01:04 PM
  # 131 (permalink)  

Boo. I so blew it. :-( I blew it so bad I even smoked cigs which I quit doing 7 years ago. Just out of some weird old winter boredom and restlessness. But, today I'm back. And it is my goal to make it off this thread and into the graduate group.

Today is as good a day as any. Right?!
A

Last edited by alberta; 02-07-2008 at 01:13 PM. Reason: mispellings
Old 02-07-2008, 01:59 PM
  # 132 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Alberta, slips happen. The fact that you're going to keep trying is the important thing. Good luck and yep, today is as good a day as any.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:13 PM
  # 133 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, haven't been on here in awhile. I've actually been really depressed... it's like I skipped over the good part... at least, last time I quit, I felt really great for awhile after the horrible week one, anyway.

Anyhow, before I get booted to the whiner thread, just wanted to say that despite it, I made it to day 14, and wanted to wish you all the BEST of luck and say thank you for all your wonderful posts

Take care all
Old 02-07-2008, 10:26 PM
  # 134 (permalink)  

day 2 here.. rough stuff. good luck everyone.....later
Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 PM
  # 135 (permalink)  

Day 1.5 Sober here writing on Buisness trip in Wellington NZ,
I was really happy last night believe it or not because I really wanted to stop and was happy that I was still sober but the pink cloud may have passed and now I am feeling tempted by the devil. If I work through the cravings they pass and I feel good that I did not give in, but there are signs all around me trying to pull me down, there whispering into my ear that just one drink after work with the mates is ok, just one puff is ok, just one.... I hear myself begin to rationalize, yeah thats right, just one drink, only one puff its ok, hey who needs sobriety anyways. Thats how it begins, thats how it takes me down. But Im stronger then that, those are not even my voices, those are my fears trying to hide me from myself, I've been down that road brother, I've been hiding and running from me all my life, you know being Sober is like a new drug, hate to say it like that but, i've been so used to being on the drink or the smoke that not being drunk or wasted is something totally new, just like when we started drinking that was a new experience, well now 20+ years later its an old experience. And being sober, truly sober, Is something totally new. I tell the devils whispers to STOP, because I am not going to have just one DRINK or Just ONE PUFF, Ill go for a walk instead, hydrate with water, lots of it. And move a step forward. One more step forward. If not now then when.
This is the only time we've got.
Thanks for listening, this group and forum has really saved my life.
:praying
Old 02-08-2008, 12:34 AM
  # 136 (permalink)  
Ending the Old Me.

Do whatever you have to in order to stay clean and sober today. Call someone, read and post here on SR, go to a meeting, go to church, whatever you need to do.

Try to smile and laugh today! Even if your in the middle of day 2 and sweating it out - it could be worse! You could be doing it in jail - right!

Go to bed tonight, clean and sober and know tomorrow that it will be a little better. Stick with it, no matter what. It does get better!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:41 AM
  # 137 (permalink)  

Day three. I really don't want a drink. I have no desire for a cigarette or any other kind of substance. But I can't eat. My stomach is in knots and I'm racked with guilt about the last time I drank. I keep feeling like something I did or said is going to come back to haunt me and ruin whatever I have that's going well. It's not withdrawl... it's just guilt. Last time I quit I didn't have that guilty feeling. It was more of a I-can-do-this-and-I'll-prove-it-to-you feeling. This time... a world of difference.

Guilt is not something I'm used to feeling.

Has anyone made it a year their first time? I'm trying for an entire year... a lofty goal after only 3 days, but if you're going to go, go big, right?
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 138 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Curio,

Maybe it seems different this time because you are quitting for yourself, and not to prove something to someone else.

This is my first real attempt at quitting, and I'm on day 20 (the longest I've been sober since the late 1980's). I really haven't set a goal for how long I'm trying to stay sober (unless my life time counts?), because I fear if I reach that goal, I'll start thinking that it's okay to drink again.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 139 (permalink)  

Let's keep this thread bumped to help all of us who need the encouragement in this difficult first fortnight.

SF69: I think you're right. It's a totally different feeling. Completely.

How's everybody doing? Hanging in there?
Old 02-10-2008, 10:40 AM
  # 140 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Glad to see you still hanging in there Curio!

Plenty of ups and downs here, but I guess that's the nature of the beast. Though, the downs seem to fade away much quicker now that I'm sober than those 3 or 4 day funks I'd get after a big binge.

Hope everyone else is doing well!