For Those With Less than 2 weeks Sober Part 2

Old 01-29-2008, 01:49 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

day 3

having trouble posting.... day 3 here, doing ok... waves**
Old 01-29-2008, 02:05 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
live to ride ride to live

made it to day 14 and doing pretty well can't wait to have 6 months again. but I know it takes one day at a time.

so keep on keeping and one day at a time
Old 01-29-2008, 02:17 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Still running from the bottle

Although I ended up going out last night, I am still not going to give up. I went to a AA club in town today and picked up a meeting schedule for all local locations. I am new here and I would like to have someone to interact with sometimes. My story: never been a sloppy or angry drunk, no fights no DUI's, no jail, but still, alcohol manages my life and I'm getting tired of sacrificing my emotional and physical health to it. I did quit for 6 years and have been out for a little more than one. I had that "one" sip of wine. I am a small business owner with a staff who can run the place which makes it easier for me to sleep in without risk of getting fired - that doesn't help. My fiancé left me 6 weeks ago - for the other guy, not because of my drinking since she drinks too. I need to go on an overnight cross-country ski trip or something this weekend to get out of town in an attempt to help transitioning out of my current nightly bar routine. I'm just babbling my thoughts at you all -
Old 01-29-2008, 06:17 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Hey belchor, at least you're taking steps in the right direction. Don't beat yourself up too badly. The past is the past.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:00 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Hi Gang!

It's day 14 for me! I want to thank everyone for the support, in the beginning especially.

I couldn't have done it without you.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:07 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  

Congratulations everybody to another day sober! You guys ROCK!

Belchoir: Changing your routine in the early days of your sobriety is an excellent idea! Otherwise it is really easy to slip into "old habits" as you experienced last night. Every time I had a battle with the should I or shouldn't I... I lost everytime. Until I changed my routine.

SR has been a great help in changing that routine. It's something that i look forward to everyday.

6 years is a HUGE accomplishment. You will never loose that time. You will be able to do it again!

I have 12 days today! I am so excited about graduating to the next thread! It's a little scary almost, because well, It's meeting a goal I set for myself 11 days ago. I'll have to make a new one...

Well, anyway, I am off to bed... Thanks again to all of you... You have made my road to recovery a whole lot smoother!

Take care
Old 01-29-2008, 09:37 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Just a quick Hello to everyone and Congratulations though another day. I made it through day 11. It's very late. I'm going to bed soon.

Finally got the computer fixed. So I'll be on here in the morning.

Barb
Old 01-30-2008, 05:33 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

Cool unbelievable

Here I am on (gulp) Day 12. I had to count again and look at the calendar because I couldn't believe it. It's definitely thanks to SR, in large part. This has become an important part of my daily recovery routine. In fact, it's the biggest difference so far in my latest attempt at recovery. Which is starting to feel less like an attempt and more like, just the way it is. (Not that I'm not in danger of relapse at any moment, but somehow acknowledging the danger of relapse helps me resist.)

To all of you struggling with getting your recovery going, I want to say that I can't even count the times I tried to quit/get my drinking "under control"/stay within certain limits, etc. And failed. So keep trying.

Sending out all my positive feelings through my fingers, to the keyboard and then to you guys--

Jana
Old 01-30-2008, 07:09 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Great job Vashti!

Originally Posted by vashti45 View Post
It's definitely thanks to SR, in large part. This has become an important part of my daily recovery routine. In fact, it's the biggest difference so far in my latest attempt at recovery. Which is starting to feel less like an attempt and more like, just the way it is. (Not that I'm not in danger of relapse at any moment, but somehow acknowledging the danger of relapse helps me resist.)

I'm feeling the same way. It's amazing how the support that I've gotten from here and from going to meetings has made this attempt so much easier (still not easy though) than my past tries where I've tried to do it on my own. Knowing, like you said, that this is just the way it is has really helped in my cutting down on obsessing over it all the time and to just to be ready if a ugre kicks in.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:16 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Hi 2 week and unders! I'm just a week ahead of you and enjoying the three month and under thread. Just wanted to stop by here to encourage you all. I've been eavesdropping for awhile so I know that this weeks crop of graduates have a strong support group! See you soon.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:42 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

Hello everyone!! You guys are all a great influence to me and each other!! I am behind most of you....only on day 4 for me. The sober life is tough but it is something to be proud of. No more sneaking around or anything like that. My trouble was with OC's, approx. 480-500 mg a day. I have stopped my self cold-turkey, with the occasional Advil. Some times my head feels a bit funny though; sort in a real fog. Has any one else felt this way? Congratulations is due to all of you. You are all doing great!!
Old 01-30-2008, 12:36 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Hello Everyone~ ...just catching up. I was graciously relieved of my SR addiction by my daughter and niece on Sunday... Between the two of them, My Space and Club Penguin, they somehow managed a "helpful" crash.... **forces a smile**

Anyhow, I'm back, but my time will be limited until I am able to replace... for now, I'm faced with going around the corner to use a friend's...

Ok..... so, today began Day TEN! ...and it has been a good day. Last Tuesday (day 2, meeting 1) I thought there was no way I was going to survive minute by minute... Finding this board has been such a Blessing.

These past days have been such a roller coaster... but listening and learning and sharing some on this board has been such a lifeline. I don't think I would have made it to meeting 1, had I not found this board... and I'm sure I wouldn't have made it through Day 3 (without changing my mind about addressing the problem or it BEING a problem) without his board and meeting 1.

Last night was Meeting 4 and it was SO good. I was so thankful to BE there, for the people sharing, for the Big Book I took home... for the possible sponsor phone numbers given to me...

Today was my first appointment with my counselor in two weeks... Boy, did I have a LOT to tell her... I was up until past midnight last night reading. I woke up this morning thinking "This can't be 'normal', I'm actually LIKING AA!" ??? !!! ??? --but I really am.

I still don't "like" the idea of admitting I'm an alcoholic, but I like the idea of addressing the problem... I still don't "like" the idea of never drinking again, but I like the idea of not drinking today... I still don't "like" the idea of passing on what has been a "good time", but I'm liking waking up without a hang-over and regrets...

Anyhow, I'm babbling, but I really just wanted to say **HELLO** -- and **THANK YOU** ... and if I started listing people, I'd be sure to miss someone, so I won't even try. Just know that your love and support, your advice and your stories, your tears and your celebrations... have all touched me so deeply...

And so, I go... on to finish my work for Day 10. Funny, really, in a way, it was a blessing... Losing my computer made me "step away from the screen" and take a look at doing some of the work... Really focusing on those steps and what is -- or isn't -- ...

Hugs to you all!
~C
Old 01-30-2008, 12:55 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

That's good to hear Onlyway! And congrats on day 10!

And a big whew! I was worried when I hadn't seen you around for a few days.

Keep up the great work!

:bounce
Old 01-30-2008, 02:22 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

day 4. Not sleeping well, feeling out of it. But staying positive. Passed on going to happy hour tonight. It was quite tempting as you know...
Old 01-30-2008, 02:56 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by theonlyway View Post
I still don't "like" the idea of admitting I'm an alcoholic, but I like the idea of addressing the problem... I still don't "like" the idea of never drinking again, but I like the idea of not drinking today... I still don't "like" the idea of passing on what has been a "good time", but I'm liking waking up without a hang-over and regrets...
Wow! That really spoke to me.

I'm on day one (again!) Over the past couple of years I've had long sober periods, punctuated with short, but fairly "wet" ones. The shortest sobriety I had was 2 months. That was the last one, and the only one that I did with AA. Odd, eh? Part of it was the never drinking again bit. Thanksgiving rolls around and that red wine was so civilized.... and here I am again.

The AA experience was good in some ways (dug having a place to go) but I honestly cannot relate to the Big Book! :-/ (Hope I don't offend anyone) It just doesn't describe me really and the language is, well, old-fashioned. Someone mentioned the NA book and I just read parts here and, while it does say the same things, it says them in a way that I "get." Problem is, I don't use drugs...

Then there is ACA....which is really where my core issue is. I come from a long line of Alcoholics and Children of them...and I am hopelessly codependent. (i.e., I can't let go of people even if they are unhealthy...like when I wasn't drinking my drinking friends were still wrapping their lips around bottles of booze in MY HOUSE (coming over with it) and I couldn't say "get that outta here." I just sat and felt angry and like drinking!!)

Soo where to go, who to be ... :-) Here is a good start.

Thanks for listening.
A
Old 01-30-2008, 03:35 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Originally Posted by Longsleeves View Post
day 4. Not sleeping well, feeling out of it. But staying positive. Passed on going to happy hour tonight. It was quite tempting as you know...

Staying positive has been key for me. I try to look at it by the new things I'll be experiencing by being sober, and try not to dwell on the things that I'm "missing" by going out drinking.

I know it's rough right now, but it does get better.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 97 (permalink)  
new.

Hi, I found this site through a friend of mine in NYC. I'm four days sober! Today was a tough day... usually I use Xanax to guide me through, but I didn't today. I'm passing up a friend's gig at a bar to avoid drinking and now I don't know what to do with myself. I mean, I do... I should go to the gym, I should eat a healthy dinner, but I might just take a nap instead.

I've gone through the posts and congratulations to all of you. You're an inspiration to me when I feel like everything's just kind of up in the air right now.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:14 PM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

i am trying to stay positive but everything has pretty much sucked since I stopped drinking I got a flat tire tonight. The day I gave up the sauce my car got struck by a hit and run driver I haven't had fun in 4 weeks. Just work come home and that is about it.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:38 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

I have read so many posts in this thread I don't know how to respond to them all. I love this thread and I love you all for sharing.

Yesterday my wife and I got into a disagreement about us and our kids. I hate that subject more then anything else in the world. The guilt is crushing. I could have done so much better.

The only way out is to drink and forget...... sweet sweet oblivion. It's the only thing that has always been there my entire adult life.

My wife wanted me to take out the old washer and dryer because we are getting a new one delivered Thursday but I told her I had to go to a meeting. Washers and dryers, my home my wife my life doesn't matter if I drink again. She took me to the only meeting that is almost close to our house. When we got there the church building it was in was torn down. I want to go to a meeting so bad. I took the washer and dryer out.

Today I was dreading walking out in the cold to the trax station and then getting off and freezing while waiting for the bus to take me home. During work I kept thinking how much warmer I would be with a pint of rum in me. I enjoy it when I'm drunk, no hurry, no worry. I have to go see my probation officer tomorrow at lunch and he will probably UA me so I have been thinking if I pick up a couple, three pints of rum tonight and take them with me to work after I am done I can slip back into my own little world and enjoy the walk/ride home.

My sponsor says a good day is when things go well and you don't drink. A great day is when things go bad or you crave, and don't drink. I have had two fantastic days!

Tomorrow promises to be even better. I didn't pick up any booze but.....I'm scared. After work I will be home alone all night, me and the comity. The comity is not as loud as they used to be but much more persuasive. Here is how persuasive they are:

Comity, "Hey Dean you have money in your wallet".
Dean, "Good point".

Pretty convincing aren't they. Money in my wallet is a "trigger".

I have to make something to eat for dinner and go to bed so I can get up for work. 5am comes around so fast.

Thanks for giving me a place to put down my thoughts.

Dean.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:39 PM
  # 100 (permalink)  

I don't like it either

Originally Posted by theonlyway View Post

I'm not much of a churchgoer these days, but I can sure say AMEN to the above. Today toward the end of my work day, I had a craving, but it wasn't for wine, it was for herbal tea! I found myself looking forward to coming home and making tea, and I really couldn't believe it. I'm not liking the thought of my weekend in San Francisco without having wine with my friends, but I'm liking feeling physically healthier and having a more predictable, less chaotic life. Not easy, but better.