Notices

For Those With Less than 2 weeks Sober Part 2

Old 02-10-2008, 10:50 AM
  # 141 (permalink)  

Day 6 for me....Lots of ups and downs. Struggle with sleep, but
am trying to hang on. Keeping busy helps me.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:29 PM
  # 142 (permalink)  

I am new here as of today. I know I have a problem but everytime I try to quit I fall into depression.. and all the bad things I have done come back up. I guess I need to let that happen and deal with it?
Old 02-10-2008, 02:42 PM
  # 143 (permalink)  
Anxiety King

Welcome Trooper!

I'm not sure what your situation is like, but it couldn't hurt talking to a doctor about it.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:19 PM
  # 144 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi everyone, well done. I found in early days that I could not do this alone and I still don't do it alone.

Kevin
Old 02-10-2008, 03:39 PM
  # 145 (permalink)  

Today is day 2 for me for sobriety. I have gone 28 months before from Feb 2002 to June 2004, but have been drinking since then. Don't want anymore hangovers and blackouts and all the other issues with drinking. want to be sober and happy

Old 02-10-2008, 03:42 PM
  # 146 (permalink)  
everything is already ok

hi ruby, sober and happy is a great goal
Old 02-10-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 147 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trooper913 View Post
I am new here as of today. I know I have a problem but everytime I try to quit I fall into depression.. and all the bad things I have done come back up. I guess I need to let that happen and deal with it?
Hi trooper,
I have that same damn problem! My therapist has recommended me to see a MD about the depression. I have had resistance to medication for stupid reasons, since I had a problem with Alcohol and drugs I am afraid to take any pills. But under medical advice its obviously different. I pray for God to relinquish my fear of getting treated for my depression. I mean hell I treated myself for all these years with booze, it did lots of damage and helped only for the few moments when I was at the "happy" drunk stage.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:07 PM
  # 148 (permalink)  

I've been sober for one week today. I first quit on January 1st, but slipped last weekend.

I already broke the habit, but now I have to get to the real healing. I have a therapist and I've got to start focusing on working with her.

The past week has been insanely busy at work, so I haven't had much time to think about anything, which is good in the sense that I don't feel as tempted to drink when I'm so busy, but also bad because I'm not doing anything to take care of my sobriety. The worst should be over now so I can get back on track.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 149 (permalink)  

Yay Mandarina! It is very inspiring to me that you quit, went back, and now you are healing! I suppose it is the same for me, although with so many issues in my life to heal, I guess it will be long long process.

Triggers! Ah the buggers!! 3 o'clock in the afternoon is a trigger. When I was working in Holland we all left the office at 3:30 We called it "beer thirty." The company subsequently went bankrupt...go figger. :-/ Afternoon/evening is the rough patch for me. If I can make it through evening, once it is dark it gets easier.... I've read that one's cortisol is tanking at that hour. That's why people in offices run to vending machines for snickers bars at that hour.

sorry to blather. Feeling pretty ... pretty...pretty okay. Fact is I am bored and will be until I reset the scales here. I have an autistic daughter so it isn't always possible to run the dog or do something physical during the trigger times. And fast walks help me keep my path straight. Not to mention when she has regressions I feel like main-lining a bottle of vodka (and I'm not really a liquor girl.)

What has been pulling me through is, ironically, my love for her and the realization that I need me to be here for her. So in essence, she is driving me to not drinking! New twist on an old phrase.

Day 4 - checking in...
peace,
A
Old 02-12-2008, 08:54 AM
  # 150 (permalink)  

OH! I am not at day 4!! It is the 12th of Feb....I am on day 5!!!

Brain error in my favor! :-)
Old 02-13-2008, 03:48 PM
  # 151 (permalink)  
Rob From Canada eh!!

A year would be great but for now just a day is good

Originally Posted by CurioAndTheCat View Post
Day three. I really don't want a drink. I have no desire for a cigarette or any other kind of substance. But I can't eat. My stomach is in knots and I'm racked with guilt about the last time I drank. I keep feeling like something I did or said is going to come back to haunt me and ruin whatever I have that's going well. It's not withdrawl... it's just guilt. Last time I quit I didn't have that guilty feeling. It was more of a I-can-do-this-and-I'll-prove-it-to-you feeling. This time... a world of difference.

Guilt is not something I'm used to feeling.

Has anyone made it a year their first time? I'm trying for an entire year... a lofty goal after only 3 days, but if you're going to go, go big, right?
Hi Curio & The Cat,

Congrats on your progress so far, make a plan, short periods at a time and before you know it a year will have come and gone. create milestones and give yourself a treat like your favorite food or snack. Buy a speciality coffee or ?

Remember what we do to temptation

Regards

Rob 49 days and working on day 50 tomorrow
Old 02-13-2008, 04:24 PM
  # 152 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

I have an autistic daughter so it isn't always possible to run the dog or do something physical during the trigger times. And fast walks help me keep my path straight. Not to mention when she has regressions I feel like main-lining a bottle of vodka (and I'm not really a liquor girl.)

Hi Alberta!

Another ASD Mom checking in here. Day 3 for me, and DS is 11 and HFA......I understand how regressions add to the fustrations and guilt (at least for ME) that lead to me drinking more and more. DS is doing better this year, and I think that is one reason I am trying so hard to not cave back in to the boozebeast.

Waving hi to everyone else checking in on this thread!
Old 02-14-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 153 (permalink)  

WJW1970!! It is so wonderful to have another person here who "gets it!" Not that there is much wonderful about autism, but it is affirming to know you are here!?! :-)

My DD is 9 and is pretty low functioning...amazing since she was actually reading at 20 months!! :-/

Did I say I'm glad your here? Let's try to help each other find the bus home. We can do it!

best,
A

Day # Lucky 7
Old 02-14-2008, 07:26 AM
  # 154 (permalink)  
Pickachu...I choose YOU!

My DD is 9 and is pretty low functioning...amazing since she was actually reading at 20 months!! :-/

Hugs Alberta. I totally understand that. Autistics can do the MOST amazing things, but then basic concepts and activities are beyond their reach. DS knows every detail of Pokemon (literally hundreds of details) but forgets to brush his teeth, change clothes, etc. Joy and sorrow are feelings that I feel at the same time all too often.

Feel free to PM me, and save me a seat on the bus! :bounce
Old 02-14-2008, 07:38 AM
  # 155 (permalink)  

Just saying hi. I'm on Day 4. I'm really looking forward to the physical cravings going away - I feel so nuts right now! However, I can't believe I got to this day! It's been so long since I thought such a thing was possible. I am sending good sober vibes to all this Valentine's Day.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:11 PM
  # 156 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, hope it's ok for me to join this thread! Day 1 today, returning to SR after a good while of drinking. I have tried many times to stop but I am hoping that this time will be different. I want to stop because I have just had enough, I am so sick and tired of the whole thing. Usually, in the past, I have tried because of something I have said or done through drink, once the shame wore off it was back to the bottle with the 'belief' that I could now control it. Doh!

I am an alcoholic, I don't want to be, and I want to be able to drink normally', but I can't so I have to learn how not to drink at all. Had a cracking hangover today, so not feeling like a drink. I don't drink every day. Every two or three, but I can't stop easily once I start. Tomorrow I will still feel rough, later in the week will be the start of the urges, going by past experience.

You are all doing well, hope that I can stick to this. I am very determined this time, but have been here before and know how sneaky this disease is. I am also scared that I will fall back and I cannot see how I can get through get togethers, celebrations, meals etc etc without a drink but I know that I must try to take it one day at a time.
Old 02-15-2008, 04:42 PM
  # 157 (permalink)  

I'm in a total fog today and sick. This is (I think) day two for me. I was doing good for a while but I relapsed (yet again) so I will jump on this thread.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:14 AM
  # 158 (permalink)  

autism

Alberta--

My brother's two sons are both autistic. It is a real challenge, but it sounds like you have your focus on what's best for her (and you).

Good luck. And try substitute behaviors. I too am most at risk around 5:30-6:00, my usual *one* glass of wine time. I find if I make to past 7:30 and start getting the kids ready for bed, it's a lot easier to resist. So now I go straight for the herbal tea instead.

Take care,

Jana
Old 02-18-2008, 06:20 AM
  # 159 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Carol here...recovered alcoholic.

Congratulations to our newer members!

If your drinking is causing you problems
please come over to our Alcoholism Forum

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/

We have information to share
Support and understanding to give.

Side by side...forward we go!
Old 02-18-2008, 04:17 PM
  # 160 (permalink)  
Adjusting my Sails

Originally Posted by TiredMama View Post
I'm in a total fog today and sick. This is (I think) day two for me. I was doing good for a while but I relapsed (yet again) so I will jump on this thread.
I feel for you. It wasn't very many days ago I was saying "I think" and "yet again". I was struggling with sobriety today myself until I read your post. Thank you for reminding me every breath is a gift.

Keep coming back. :ghug3