Notices

Here goes ..

Old 08-17-2007, 06:29 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

I apologize, Octoman ... this is your thread.
I'm just so curious about GB is all.

My apologies.
Old 08-17-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  
trying to get it..

Originally Posted by Octoman View Post

Hopefully I will be able to share a bit of my story of how I got here and how I am getting along. For now I am just grateful to have found that bright, like minded people have also suffered like me and we are not losers, just not well. Good luck to all of you.

and we are not siants....sh8t happens it just happended to us...it is what it is...you are doing great,,stay focused and keep coming back!!
Old 08-17-2007, 12:25 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

We don't get pop tarts in NZ Barb.

How was your day today Octo?
Old 08-17-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Octo,

your description (and Barb's) of beef jerky had me rolling .. thank you
Old 08-17-2007, 01:17 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hey Barb, why the apology? This is a great topic. I love this thread
I didnt have a chance to post this afternoon because things were hectic but I did have a quick read and your posts genuinely brought a smile to my face.

So, to satisfy you're curiosity we also have `All American Pancake Mix` which comes with a little bottle of Maple Syrup. Looks pretty tasty but the thought of eating pancakes for breakfast is very strange for me! We also have Amercian style hot dogs which are fantastic. Basically fatter versions of german frankfurters but without the disgusting brine stuff that the german versions are soaked in. They are really fab with a big hunk of butter bread and some mayonaise Oh, and spay on cheese!??!! Basically processed cheese in an aerosol can. Is this really that common in the U.S.? Its actually okay but you end up putting cheese on nearly everything just to use the can. Spray on cheese on tomatoes is kinda tasty though. Perhaps I should try it on my remaining beef jerky. You never know...

Hi Pikgrim. Had a pretty good afternoon thanks. Really struggling with the brain fog though. Making me very slow at my job. I was last to leave my office by over an hour tonight (Justy got home, its 9.30 pm here). Did have the benefit of being able to eat all the sandwiched we keep for our clients though How are things with you?

Carl, thankyou for your comment. You are right and I would do well to keep it in my mind that sh8t does just happen sometimes. I find it too easy to blame myself for my alcoholism. I take some confort from the thought that I was probably destined for alcoholism from the day I had my first drink and there was little I could do about it. Its just a part of who I am.

I must say, this place is great!
Old 08-17-2007, 02:50 PM
  # 66 (permalink)  
Administrator

cherry cola gets me LOL...what the?

Keep going mate - the fog lifts ...and yeah I still have a hassle with the weakness/genetic disposition dichotmy...somedays I still can't help but blame myself...but the important thing to do is to keep doing the right thing *now*

D
Old 08-17-2007, 05:10 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  

Welcome Octo -

I'm sorry I'm late joining in, but I've been on vacation and out of touch a bit. Sounds like your doing fantastic, but I'm not sure I can trust a man who won't eat beef jerkey and actually eats spray on cheese!!

TinLizzy
Old 08-17-2007, 10:26 PM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I think you mean 'Cheezwiz" ... oh man ... americans don't really eat that unless they're drunk, or have to make some kind of fingerfood to take to somebody's funeral... where, of course, no one eats it there, either.

I got one - olive loaf. if you see it in the store ... move very slowly ... it tracks you by sudden movement. don't buy it... and don't let anyone you know eat it.

LOL

thanks for the acceptance, Octo ... I get kinda zooming on coffee and start posting, go away, think of something, then post again ... I don't intentionally hijack threads.

Your wit is going to help you tremendously, trust me.
I mean, a fog is a fog ... may as well be a FUN fog, ya know?

I loved the part about helping out the staff by finishing the sandwiches.

oh yeah - pancakes ... are better for dinner, with eggs, bacon or sausage, toast
(can't have enough bleached wheat in the good ol breadbasket of the world, ya know) lots and lots of coffee ... maple syrup or even jelly is great.

have that and try to walk away quickly ... no can do. Sticks to yer ribs, then nails yer ribs to the chair. LOL

Pilgrim ... poptarts ... are kinda space man food. Imagine a jelly pie you can stick in the toaster (but nobody ever does) that's almost a big a sugar rush as this coffee shake I'm drinking right now ( which if it was rated it's probably somewhere between 'radioactive' and 'starship power crystals' in octane level) that you can just keep uncooked in your car for like ... years.

kinda like that.
we americans ... feed them to our kids.
Old 08-17-2007, 11:18 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  
Administrator

and there the case for the prosecution rests, yer honour...

LOL

D
Old 08-18-2007, 12:05 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

well - you goin off the cliff with your foot on the gas ... or the brake?

either way ... we're goin off the cliff...
Old 08-18-2007, 12:19 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  
Administrator

LOL <tugs at collar>
jump in *anytime* Octoman
it is yr thread after all

D
Old 08-18-2007, 12:34 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Hi TinLizzy, good to meet you. Hope you had a good vacation. Oh, and dont worrythe food experimentation is just a phase I'm going through ..

Hey Dee & Barb
I will avoid Olive Loaf like it is a nuclear device. I survived Beef Jerkey but this sounds like a step too far for this guy! My spray on cheese can is now empty too so I'm safe from the temptation of `cheesing` everything. Going to have some nice normal porridge for breakfast this morning.
Actually, my experience of American cuisine has been very good from the few visits I have made there. Its wrongly associated with Burgers etc. because they are the major chains that have made it here but I found some fantastic food there. When in NY I had the best Italian meal of my life.

Thanks for all the comments about the fog. I know I go on a bit about it but my job really requires me to have clarity of thought and its a worry for me. Right now I'm like an ice cream seller who cant always get the ice cream in the cone right every time and from time to time sprays ice cream all over the customers. Hearing your experiences of how it will lift if I approach my recovery in the right way is a great comfort.

Well, its the weekend so I'm off to buy a bicycle and a shed (to put it in). Speak to you later Enjoy the day.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:38 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
Administrator

The exercise will help lift the fog a little IMO Octoman

D
Old 08-18-2007, 12:46 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

don't look now, but ... oh NOOOO !

Last edited by barb dwyer; 06-06-2014 at 04:35 PM.
Old 08-18-2007, 12:48 AM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Hi Octoman, I don't think we have "met" yet. I am in the UK aswell, about 50 miles from London, unfortunatly or fortunatly not quite sure, we don't seem to have got the US food shelves here yet, but spray on cheese and beef jerky? I don't think I am missing much :P (sorry US peeps, no offence)

I hear you about the fog, I am on day 12 today and I am doing ok but the fog/cloudynesss (is that a word? ) is the pits, I am just taking comfort in what others have said in that it will pass.

Happy cycling

Sax

Barb, when you say jelly you mean jam right?
Old 08-18-2007, 12:53 AM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Barb, when you say jelly you mean jam right?
I dunno, Sax ... round here a 'jam' is eityher people playing music, or a whole bunch of cars trying to get to the same place at the same time and can't move at all.

Octo =-

enjoy your new bike! and I hope the shed comes pre assembled, hon!
Old 08-18-2007, 01:03 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Barb, we call those things "jam" too, but it is also what we spread on toast which I think you call jelly, but if you call that jelly what do you call jelly :s Jelly here is wibbly wobbly cold stuff you eat with ice cream
Old 08-18-2007, 02:07 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

I think they call it jello Sax.

Hi Octo, youre doing great!
Old 08-18-2007, 05:38 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

you're not gonna believe the song going through my head ...

"octo - octo man ..." (to 'macho man') freakin Village People ...
Old 08-19-2007, 01:04 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Saxony View Post
I hear you about the fog, I am on day 12 today and I am doing ok but the fog/cloudynesss (is that a word? ) is the pits, I am just taking comfort in what others have said in that it will pass.

Hi Saxony. Good to meet you too.
I'm pretty confident it will pass but it just takes time and patience. I am beginning to think of it a bit like a brain holiday. Perhaps its also defensive. After years of supressing evrything via drink it might be a bit overwhelming if full clarity struck at once.
Other than that how are you feeling? I seem to be in pretty good shape except some strange aches and pains in my joints.
Enjoy Sunday (if you can in this terrible rain!)
Oct