Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hands Across Time Zones: Part 4 - The sun is always rising somewhere in the world.

Notices

Hands Across Time Zones: Part 4 - The sun is always rising somewhere in the world.

Old 11-17-2006, 05:55 PM
  # 221 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by raerob
I posted the Attitude of Gratitude thread in Newcomers...feel free to post to either or both threads.

I'm grateful that none of my grandchildren or my three-year-old great grandbaby have ever seen me "under the influence"...I quit drinking just two months before my oldest granddaughter was born.
Good evening raerob...

Its funny that you mention your Granddaughter...

I'm going to be a first time Grandpa in about two weeks. My daughter and SIL are going to have a little girl. I can't wait, my wife and I have been waiting on this a long time. Our daughter is 32...

Their building a new house on a lot I have right across the road from us. My wife is going to be the built in babysitter when they go back to work...

You know...Life is good, and thats how I want to keep it, so...

Thats why two days ago I hung the ol Corona bottle up...

My Grandfather quit smoking cigerettes in 1955 when I was born. He stayed a non-smoker until the day he died in 1988...

Thats why I decided to quit for my Granddaughter and for myself...

I want to set a good example for her because I wasen't always there for her Mom...

Have a GREAT sober weekend everybody...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 11-17-2006, 06:10 PM
  # 222 (permalink)  

This may sound weird. But I am excited to spend time with my family not hungover. Usually I would party like the end of the world was near the day before Thanksgiving, this year I will feel great!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:05 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  

Hi
I haven't posted in a few months (I think)...

I had my Thanksgiving however I'll give you some things I'm grateful for:
Not being a slave to any addiction (aside from coffee)
Happy
Finances improving
More routine
Getting better at work
Clear headed
Generally enjoying life a lot more...

I don't miss the booze at all.

Cheers
Old 11-18-2006, 04:39 AM
  # 224 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi rae -

usually, there's a covered dish thing at the club downstairs from the meeting place, but this year, it just didn't come together.
dunno why.
I was still 'out there' last year.

So ... we're doing this dinner at this fella's house ... and I'm really looking forward to it. We might just break out in a meeting there, I know there's going to be a lot of uncomfortably full individuals present for the 8:00 meeting, for sure ...
then I will have to come to work from 11:00 - 7:00.

I almost prefer thanksgiving to christmas some years ... it depends on where my head and heart are. Seems like Christmas is for kids, Thanksgiving is for the grownups.. (what are those?)
we're got a really tight group ( I'm told from visitors anyway) so I'm sure if there's not a dinner, there'll be a leftover potlatch the next night.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:53 AM
  # 225 (permalink)  

holiday story time...

when i was a little over a month sober, it was Easter sunday...
was at maws for dinner... stil a bit shake'y... time to carve a duck...
maws knives were as dull as can be... the greasy duck, the screaming kids, the mamm'a blab'n in the background...my Band of Gypsy's in my head were attacking me big time... real nerved up!... oh, the me in me was real ugly... Whammo!, it hit me... all self-centered... that screaming kid is autistic... my problems seamed nothing compared to the life, that young boy faces... i would say, that was my first real spiritual awakening...

Happy Holidays all my friends...

xxoo, patrick
Old 11-18-2006, 10:14 AM
  # 226 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Today, I'm particularly grateful to see several HATZ'ers sharing their gratitude here! It's such a wonderful way for me to start the holiday season.

Steve...as soon as your daughter trusts you to take her out, take that grandbaby to open meetings with you...of course, smoke free meetings. Let her learn from the get-go that alcoholics are not degenerates or an alien species with two heads. My Marissa went with me until she was 12 years old and discovered boys were more fun. Sometime, when I have more time, I'll share a funny story about Marissa and AA when she was about five years old.

Crystal...holidays with family are stress-free now, compared to the "good old days". I would be hung-over from the night before, drinking chablis while preparing dinner, drinking during dinner, and anxious for everyone to leave so I could go to my favorite watering hole to continue drinking. One Thanksgiving, I went to my favorite place and couldn't understand why I was the only customer there. Everyone else was at home with their families!

Erin...so good to see you again...it's been way too long. But, I'm happy that you seem to be happy and progressing nicely in your sobriety. Come back soon, and often. Hope your Canadian TDay was a great one!

Barb...maybe whoever used to organize the eatin' meetin' is no longer around...sick, moved away, passed away, or back "out there" (it does happen). Just a suggestion...but, what's to prevent you from volunteering to do the next eatin' meetin'? It would be another great way for you to give back and express gratitude for your sobriety.

Patrick...it's amazing what a "moment of clarity" can do to put things in perspective. I hope you've had (and continue to have) many more spiritual awakenings...they don't happen as often as we'd like; but, they're so special when they do. At least now we have a spirit to awaken that's not dulled by "demon rum".

Have a great week-end, everyone.
Old 11-18-2006, 08:31 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  
Soberus Maxus

Alright whats going on in here. Mother Rae my grandfather wouldn't ask for help and he kept falling. I hope you have some kindoff cane or something to help you when you dont feel stable.
Just checking in. Almost a year now since I met you all. I hope everyone is well and miss you all.
Max
Old 11-18-2006, 11:05 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  

rae -

I thought about it, then found out everyone this year is kinda doing 'little' groups ... some people are going from group to group ... but there'll be a big meeting, I'm sure.

It is something to 'put out there' for Christmas, though.
Old 11-19-2006, 11:14 AM
  # 229 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Mother Rae my grandfather wouldn't ask for help and he kept falling.
Max...sounds like you get your stubborn streak from Gramps. Maybe I was subconsciously looking for attention...and, did I ever get it!!!

It is something to 'put out there' for Christmas, though.
Barb...it just takes one to get the ball rolling. And, it doesn't have to be elaborate. We also used to have continuous 24 hour meetings called Alco-Thons (I'm sure they still do).

Carry on, HATZ'ers!
Old 11-19-2006, 08:52 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

bump and grind
Old 11-19-2006, 09:48 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Originally Posted by barb dwyer
And Dreamz, it's good to see you again, too. I haven't been reading this thread very often lately ... just zooming in to read a couple of threads, then off the 'fourth step land'. I loved the clip you had cutting the grass! I don't remember what thread it was on ...

Just for you barb!!!

Originally Posted by expenguin
Dreamz.........Do you not know about Thanksgiving? everyone is getting ready for it and it is the neatest thing before Christmas....................Family time starts with the Thanksgiving Turkey day and goes from there...................

We don't do it here, But I do know about it. My favourite FRIENDS episodes were the thanksgiving episodes!!!!

Originally Posted by Raerob
How has your life changed without alcohol/drugs?
I now KNOW my sister, my family can talk to me without the fear that I'm suddenly going to turn mental and throw tantrums.

I can make other people smile because I'm not so caught up in myself that I don't notcie how other people are feeling,

....and my teeth are cleaner.

Originally Posted by Erin
Hi
I haven't posted in a few months (I think)...

I had my Thanksgiving however I'll give you some things I'm grateful for:
Not being a slave to any addiction (aside from coffee)
Happy
Finances improving
More routine
Getting better at work
Clear headed
Generally enjoying life a lot more...

I don't miss the booze at all.

Cheers
HI ERIN

So good to hear from you, thanks for the message! Still haven't found a job but searching and getting my act together now rather then just spending all day at the beach.

Hiya HATZ fans - all is well with me. I have a blow up pool on my balcony so now instead of spending all day at the beach I can just spend an hour in the pool to cool off then get my a** into gear and start job hunting. The pool is massive - it fits 5 adults and It covers my entire balcony. I love it.

Hope everyone is great!!!

Love ya all
Old 11-20-2006, 06:30 AM
  # 232 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone .....................Did some thinking over the weekend and I have lots to be thankful for ......

My sober life of 20 years ,10 months and 2 weeks........
my family for putting up with me......
Having a roof over my head.....
Having faith in God which keeps my program in recovery together
Being able to share with others my life as it is today
Having a little one to teach all the wonderful times of Holidays
Just for being here to share with all you wonderful people at SR

Life if good and there are times when I really don't care about the holidays and I would rather just curl up and sleep...........But can't really do that with a little one around as kids want the attention.............

Today I am off to do wonderful things for other kids to get them ready for the Holidays.............I also want to spread the Holiday time with kids that don't have much.........I may not have much ....But I try to save all year to give to kids.......

Well you all have a wonderful day.......Time to find some coffee and wake up a bit more before I head out...............................Love.......Littl e Penguin
Old 11-20-2006, 10:05 AM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Today I'm thankful for my generous husband, the warm vest I'm wearing (it's cold here), and peaceful music to calm the noise in my head. And of course I am forever grateful for SR, particularly this thread and the moms' thread.

love,
Jane
Old 11-20-2006, 12:09 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm grateful that I quit drinking before I was fired from an excellent job.

I'm grateful that job offered free tuition to the employees, so I was able to realize a life-long dream of acquiring a college degree. (My mother, daughter, and granddaughter were present to see me graduate "with honors".)

I'm grateful I stayed sober, even after I was "down-sized" right out of that job after 27 years there.

I'm grateful I was able to opt for early retirement which included an excellent incentive package, so that I'm financially independent and able to live fairly well between pension and social security.

I'm grateful the retirement package included a lump sum sufficient to allow me to realize another life-long dream...a trip to Europe...and, I was actually able to go twice.

I'm grateful that, although I have many physical problems, my mind is still fairly sharp...at least I am not yet afflicted with alzheimer's (which seems to run in the family).

I'm grateful that I've lived long enough to enjoy having a great-granddaughter...it's awesome.

I'm grateful I was never one for a lot of material things, so just having a roof over my head and food on the table keeps me humble and grateful.

As I promised Steve when he shared about the anticipated birth of his granddaughter, the following is a pleasant memory I wanted to share with Steve and all of you.

The granddaughter who attended my college graduation used to go to AA Meetings with me and knew the Lord's Prayer and Serenity Prayer before she even started in pre-school. One day when she was five years old, after she and I had been on a shopping spree, we decided to rest for a bit. There were kitchen chairs set up on display in two rows and we sat down. She turned to me and said, "Make betend we're at a meeting, Nonny." I said, "O.K" She jumped up to face me, put both hands on her hips, and said (in a loud little girl voice), "My name is Marissa, and I'm an alcoholic." I heard some laughter behind me and turned to see a couple who had apparently gotten a big kick out of the performance. I simply shrugged and said, "So much for anonymity."

And, who knows what the future will bring, and how many new reasons to be grateful may be waiting for me...and for all of you, too.

Just in case everyone gets particularly busy between now and Thursday, I'm sending you special
Old 11-20-2006, 05:25 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  

Good night all you Turkey lovers and more so..........Have a good night and know that I saw the most beautiful sunset tonight and the colors were something else...................

I am going to try and have a wonderful thanksgiving even though we are super tight on money......But I scraped enough change together to get the turkey and already have the makings for pies I froze from the spring berries.............So we are set here and I just have to cook the food starting tomarrow (Tuesday) to have things ready for Wed . instead of Thursday..........Will see how things work out....................The cook needs to not be stressed out for the Holidays...........We need a calm day to get through to next year............................Happy day and night to ya all.........................Hugs and many more..............Little Penguin
Old 11-21-2006, 08:13 AM
  # 236 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It's so encouraging to see how so many of our HATZ'ers are resilient and resourceful...even in the face of adversity (physical or economic). I know we'll all enjoy this week...whether or not we are celebrating Thanksgiving Day.
Old 11-21-2006, 03:49 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Hi all, I have to be quick.

Just wanted to say hi and happy thnksgiving to everyone,

When is the actual date???

love Dreamz
Old 11-21-2006, 07:49 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Oh Hatzers I've missed you all so much, pure insanity around here as usual.

Rae, you sound great, despite your tumble, it's those Irish guys isn't it they're hanging around aren't they!?! I am so sorry that you fell and even more sorry that you don't live down the block so I could be more helpful! I am going to start apartment hunting in my neck of the woods for you... wouldn't that be fun!

This is the first night I have been on SR in what feels like a month. We had a lot of job turmoil as Rae mentioned, but all is well. They actually did cut some jobs but my dear husbands was not one of them.

So much to be thankful for this year. The show is a hit, so great, I went to opening night last week, it was fantastic!

What a difference a year makes... It was a year ago that I found this site. My life was in shambles, F was starting his second stint in out-patient. He was never home and I was ALWAYS home alone, except for the 4, 2 and newborn I was taking care of by myself. I was certain divorce was on the horizon.

A year ago this week I went down to the court house to file for child support (you can get it even when you are still married and living together, who knew!?!) I had filed and been denied foodstamps. We made too much money, not that I was seeing any of it. We were hosting Thanksgiving, ugh what a joke that was... and Christmas was on the horizon, with no money for presents for my guys. I was so sad, mad and angry were gone, I didn't have enough energy left for them, so I just stayed sad and lonely. And then I found all of you. And then I wasn't lonely anymore. And the more I read and the more I shared, I knew that the only thing that was certain for me was that on my own my life and my childrens life would be better. I could guarantee that. I had no guarantee that it would get better if I stayed with my husband so I asked him to leave, and the strength to do that came from this site. I just said what I meant and meant what I said. No screaming, no drama. I don't know why and I don't know how he came to the decision but two weeks before Christmas he decided to go inpatient. He left on January
4th.

10 months later he has steady work, for what could be years, my boys run to him when he comes home, Daddy, Daddy... even the baby toddles quickly to the back door to greet him. He is a hands on Dad, the house is shaping up and quickly. And he is a thoughtful, kind husband, I get flowers for no reason, lots of I love you's and thank you's. We celebrated our anniversary on Nov 12., 6 years, and this has been the best year by far. We have so much to be thankful for this year.

And I am so thankful for all of you too. Love and hugs, Hatzers!
Happy Thanksgiving!
Old 11-22-2006, 02:05 AM
  # 239 (permalink)  

hi Dreamz - thanksgiving is thursday.

rae -
guess what was stapeled to the front door yesterday? yep. potluck at the club.... heck with it - I'm going to my friend's house.

maybe go to the club afterward. but I have to work, so this is really pushing my schedule. there has to be time for a nap somewhere in there, working 11-7 is rough duty on a good day.

thankful?
I'm thankful I found my way back into the program.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:04 AM
  # 240 (permalink)  
wounded healer

Hi all. Haven't posted much. I have a wicked schedule. It is 4:58 am and I've been up since 4. All my kids are coming home for Thanksgiving (my mom too, ahh, mixed feelings). As they get older I cherise each time I can see them all together. Holidays may be tough w/o drinking and my mom will want her wine at dinner. Won't drink in front of my kids so I have a safety net. Most of all I am thankful to be alive this year because last year at this time I would have died if I had not gotten a dui...so bitter sweet. Have a great day tomorrow.