Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hands Across Time Zones: Part 4 - The sun is always rising somewhere in the world.

Notices

Hands Across Time Zones: Part 4 - The sun is always rising somewhere in the world.

Old 11-14-2006, 01:33 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Priceless words, Rae.
Old 11-14-2006, 08:00 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Hi everyone - just quickly checking in.

Not much going on.

No job.

It's not even sunny so I can't go to the beach.

I miss my mum and dad, I saw them recently but I want to go back. Everything seems to be coming up so fast. I'm going to spend the rest of the day in bed I think. I'm doing my own head in a bit.

Just thought I should quickly let you all know I'm ok.

PS thanks for missing me, its really sweet to see messages like that.

Love you all
Old 11-14-2006, 09:20 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Today, November 15, 2006, marks 27 sober years for me! I know, I know...it probably sounds so far-fetched to you. It did to me, too, when I quit just a week before Thanksgiving, 1979. I was 48, and had drank alcoholically pretty much since I first picked up at 16.

Some of you are so young, it's conceivable that you could celebrate 50 or more years of continued sobriety...but, it will always be just One Day At A Time, as it has been for me. And the days will add up, until one day you'll look back and say, "Where did the time go?"

Seven years ago, when I celebrated at my Group Meeting, the other celebrant was asked how he had managed to stay sober for 25 years. Bill being a big kidder, said, "Don't drink, don't miss meetings, and don't die!"

I guess, if it was good enough for Bill, it's good enough for me, so...

to both of us, Bill.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:03 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Has anyone else started their shopping for next Thursday? We have all the non-perishables in...plus the pies (Mrs. Smith is doing the honors this year).

Thought For Today

Goals are the fuel in the furnace of achievement.
Brian Tracy, Eat that Frog

Old 11-15-2006, 08:01 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

CONGRATS, RAE!

I have a pie in the freezer, but that's all so far.....I think we're headed up to my mom's house.
Old 11-15-2006, 09:11 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Rae,
Happy 27th Anniversary!!!!

Old 11-15-2006, 02:50 PM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Well...I did it, HATZ'ers...and, I was stone cold sober!!!

I lost my balance, and fell..on my knees, leaning on the seat of my recliner (if you can picture that). The phone was on the floor, and it took me a while to be able to reach it. I finally managed to call 911...I said, "This is not a joke! I've fallen, and I can't get up!"

The EMT's came...plus some fire engines. Thank goodness John had left the front door unlocked, and my upstairs neighbor was home. It was probably only about 10 minutes before help came...but, it seemed like forever. I was in a lot of pain, crying hysterically...but, they got me up on my feet and into the wheel chair. I was really shaken up, but my vital signs were OK...although I wondered if it might not be a good idea to go to the hospital.

I called my sister...called the doctor...thought about it for a few minutes, and decided lying in an ER for hours before they admitted me just wasn't worth it. My left knee is a bit swollen and sore...my left ankle hurts, too...but, I'm pretty sure I didn't break anything, Thank God.

So, there you have it...my big adventure on my Anniversary. Oh, BTW...the two EMT's were goodlooking Irish guys, Sean and Michael. I told them, if the neighbors wanted to know what happened, I'd just tell them, "A couple of goodlooking Irishmen swept me off my feet!" Hey...maybe it wasn't a total loss, after all.
Old 11-15-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Dreamz do come true!!!

Oh my God Rae - I hope you're ok. Congrats on your sober anniversary and besides the fall I hope it was a good day!

Originally Posted by Raerob
Has anyone else started their shopping for next Thursday?
Umm sorry to ask especially if I should know but what is next Thursdays holiday???

Love to all.

(((Jane))) Thanks for the message!!!!!
Old 11-15-2006, 07:51 PM
  # 209 (permalink)  

"Happy Anniversary Rae!"

rae
Oh, BTW...the two EMT's were goodlooking Irish guys, Sean and Michael.
lol, "Erin go Braless!"

Old 11-15-2006, 10:38 PM
  # 210 (permalink)  
Trying to do the right thing.

It's the accent that get's me..................Everytime....!!!

Love to the HATZ's...................................
Old 11-15-2006, 11:39 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Rae -
I'm so glad you weren't hurt! And happy birthday!
Just HOW cute were these firemen? AND irish?
heck girl - het yer hair done ... and fall again!

about thanksgiving -
we're having a potluck for the ones of us in AA who're far from home, or haven't family to celebrate with. IT's gonna be a covered dish thing ... potluck to those born above the mason/dixon line ... LOL
I spent all this time online looking for the 'perfect' dish to bring ... and then remembered ..... I don't really cook.

so, I'm gonna do something, just don't know what.
chips and dip? lol cheez whiz n crackers? haha!

And Dreamz, it's good to see you again, too. I haven't been reading this thread very often lately ... just zooming in to read a couple of threads, then off the 'fourth step land'. I loved the clip you had cutting the grass! I don't remember what thread it was on ...
thanks for the smiles everyone!
Old 11-16-2006, 06:23 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I'm up for a few minutes...had to fix myself some breakfast. He came home non-compus-mentis (sp?) last night...and, he's "drug sick" this morning...hope he's going to be able to pull himself together long enough to change me. I think I should have taken the opportunity to go to the hospital, thence to the nursing home for three months. This stubborn streak must come from my Scottish heritage!

"Erin go Braless!"
Funny you should mention it, Rusty Z. I haven't worn one for years...even though I invested in good front closing ones, the straps on my arthritic shoulders just kill me. So, I let everything "hang loose"...not a pretty sight!

It's the accent that get's me..................Everytime....!!!
Yeah...I'm a sucker for a brogue, too. But, these fellas were Irish-American...Sean and Michael...so, there was no accent...just good-looking and strong...had to be to get me to my feet!

Barb...I think I'll pass on the hairdo and a repeat performance. I'm just so glad I didn't break anything. Some soft tissue damage, I think, and some bruising, a bit sore...but, other than that, I'll live.

we're having a potluck for the ones of us in AA who're far from home, or haven't family to celebrate with.
Oh, Barb...that reminds me of my early days in the rooms...it was such a good feeling to do that. And, we would have a Gratitude Meeting, when everyone was invited to share on what they were thankful for. It was great!

Thanks for your concern, everyone. I don't know how often I'll get on the pc today; so, stay safe, and enjoy the day.

Thought For Today

Heaven never helps the man who will not act.
Sophocles

Old 11-16-2006, 12:31 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

Rae,

Leave it to you to take a horrible situation and make "light" of it.

I am also 1/2 Irish and definitely partial to the Irishmen...my father is one!

I am thankful you didn't break anything and you are not back in the hospital. So glad to have you and your Irish laughter here!

Thanks again Rae, for a "ray" of "light" in my day...because that's what you are!

Thank you for letting your little light shine cuz it also shines in this life of mine!

May your bruises heal quickly and your Irishmen visit for the heck of it and yes, May God hold you in the palm of his hands!

Etimee
Old 11-16-2006, 08:15 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Congrats. Rae.....27 years in the program is way more than I have.....................I am up for 21 on jan. 1st.....still a way away and I love to see it come................

I am still a young thing and the years in recovery are a special thing for me to look back at..............

Hope you are doing better Rae and watching what you do.........Don't like to see that you have taken a fall.......you need to be careful at your age............Hugs and plenty of them from my house to yours..............

As for everyone else take care and sleep good tonight.......

Dreamz.........Do you not know about Thanksgiving? everyone is getting ready for it and it is the neatest thing before Christmas....................Family time starts with the Thanksgiving Turkey day and goes from there...................

Will be thinking about you all as I try to get some sleep.......I can't keep my eyes open and must get some rest.......................Lots to do the next couple days and really clean things out Getting ready for the Holidays gets to me and in the end it is worth the big rest..............

Love ya all..........................Little Penguin
Old 11-17-2006, 03:11 AM
  # 215 (permalink)  

geeze, i'm the oddball... Italian'o... mamma-mia!

cept, i just wind up with the red-headed irish chicy's...lol!

LP, ya rested up?

all good wishes, and give only love..................... xxoo, pattee
Old 11-17-2006, 06:36 AM
  # 216 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone........sounds like the Irish have it these last couple days and I hate to say it ....BUT I AM IRISH AND ITALIAN.........Not sure which one I really go for...........But the Irish always have a wit about them that you can't resist.................and the Italian always seem to be eating themselves from one side of the table to another.........I know as I saw my Italian Grandfather just have loads of fun during the Holidays..........then there was my other grandfather on the Italian side that just wanted to have a good time according to my mother.......................He was the drunk in the family........but loved those "OLD STOGIES" (cigars for those that don't know what I mean...)

Anyway I miss the grandparents as they have all passed on now and so has my dad...........Mom still hanging out and I am grateful for that.................

Well I am off and running now that the morning has started........It is so foggy here you can't see two feet in front of you...............But hopefully this stuff will clear out.................Love ya all ............Stay sane today.......

Little Penguin
Old 11-17-2006, 06:48 AM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Rae, I hope your knee feels better soon!
I only have a sec to post--yesterday was crazy. Son had bad headache, Dr. recommending MRI for him, AAAAAAHHHH!
I'll catch up on y'all's posts later. Take care
Old 11-17-2006, 07:50 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It's time to Talk Turkey. Yes, next week, most of the folks in the USA will be celebrating our typical Thanksgiving Day...too much football, too much food, usually followed by a nap, and too many leftovers.

But, those of us who have managed to put together a few 24's of clean and sober time know we have so much more for which to be grateful. One of my friends from another thread reminded me of a practice I used to participate in during my early recovery.

Many of the meetings in the area would open the doors early and have covered dishes, platters of food, etc. for the ones of us in AA who were far from home, or hadn't family with whom to celebrate.

It was such a good feeling to do that. And, we would have a Gratitude Meeting, when everyone was invited to share on what they were thankful for. It was great! I thought it might be nice to have our own Gratitude Meeting here at Sober Recovery...so, please, no matter what part of the world you're from:

What have you been able to do, or hope to do, that might have been difficult, if not impossible, while you were still drinking/drugging?

How has your life changed without alcohol/drugs?

Just share with us anything that comes to mind for which you are grateful as a result of your being alcohol and/or drug free.
Old 11-17-2006, 07:53 AM
  # 219 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I posted the Attitude of Gratitude thread in Newcomers...feel free to post to either or both threads.

I'm grateful that none of my grandchildren or my three-year-old great grandbaby have ever seen me "under the influence"...I quit drinking just two months before my oldest granddaughter was born.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:41 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Hellooooo!

It's so quiet in here, I think I can here an echo!!!