Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Hands Across Time Zones: Part 4 - The sun is always rising somewhere in the world.

Notices

Hands Across Time Zones: Part 4 - The sun is always rising somewhere in the world.

Old 10-19-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Crap this is the most I have ever posted on these threads since they began what is up with that?
"Whoooo"...just naturally brings out the sharing/caring that extends all around this crazy, mixed up world? Why, Vic...it's the HATZ'ers, that's who!
Old 10-19-2006, 03:10 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

How are all the HATZ'ers this evening/afternoon/morning? Let's see, now...c'est la vie, etimee, and all others in Europe are around midnight (I think); Jane is still enjoying the afternoon (I hope); Paula and I are at dinner time. Just finished dinner...am waiting for Thursday night tv shows.

I don't usually watch baseball...sometimes the World Series...but, I'll definitely be watching and cheering the Mets tonight. Go, Mets!!!
Old 10-19-2006, 08:38 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Talking

on my HATZ friends!

Forward we go...
Old 10-19-2006, 08:44 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

Hello all you beautiful HATZer's, the METS are still in there as of right now. I should be in bed but how can I leave a NY team in their time of need. Holy cow I am such a codie. Oh sh!t two run homer for the Cardinals, that's okay, I'll feel bad for whoever loses. I never feel the need to celebrate for the winners, happy for them but always feel so bad for the losers. Go UNDERDOGS!!!

Rae that ghost is so cute. Casper was a favorite show of mine growing up. And of course Mister Roger's, my mother says it was my first soap opera, I had to get home to see what was happening in the Magic Kingdom. Hey, priorities. I signed in to you site. Now they tell me that my password is invalid and won't let me login, I'll have to re-sign up under a new name. Hope to get a chance tomorrow. I love it, it is so festive and says a lot for you computer skills lady, I am SO impressed!

All is well on the great white way, another standing ovation at the end of tonights performance. My parents go Tuesday night, Frank got two tickets and it's way to late to take the Free man so I felt it was a nice pay back to my parents who have kept us afloat financially during the last year. Frank has done a great job bouncing back, for a guy who didn't work more then two months this year, he sure has made up for lost time. I am so proud of him, he called last night, so excited that his dinner break coincided with the 5:30 meeting, he was thrilled he was going to be able to get "almost a whole meeting" in for the day. Ahhh, thank you HP.

Dreamz, my heartaches for you. I feel your pain. I moved to the town that I live in now to be close to my sister, she helped me get a realtor etc., the first two years were sheer bliss. Then she moved to Seattle. I was so devasted, I still miss her very much. We talk regularly. She flew out with her three kids to suprise me for Kai's 1st birthday, I still smile and get teary when I go back to the moment that I realized it was them standing on my front steps. As I mentioned, I miss her very much, but I have to say, I leaned very heavily on her. She was my entire social circle, not a bad thing, but she had a circle of her own as well, and I didn't, I didn't have too. After she moved, I began to grow and move around a little (very little, somedays) each day. I know have a really great core group of friends that I can count on for everything, from going to the gym, out for a girls night (if I can get a sitter), carpooling the kids to school and birthday parties, you get the picture. And I know for sure that I would not have branched out and made those friends if my sister hadn't (dusted me, ha ha ha) moved to Seattle. She now has a much better quality of life with her husband and kids (he was commuting to WA from NJ) and I have grown and my circle has grown. Growing pains, yes, but for the good. I agree with Jane and Eti... you have some serious good stuff on the horizon just waiting for you to go out and grab. So, GO GIRL with all your brilliance and joy and color and cheer and get it. You're going be better than fine, you're going to be bedazzling! Hug.

Eti, how's it going as a single mom... hubby around yet?

Jane, hope you're not still sniffling? How is the winter wonderland?

Vic, sit down and get comfortable, we're keepers here at the HATZ!
Old 10-19-2006, 11:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Morning all:

Paula, I swear, I read your posts sometimes and I could've written them myself! Yep, I'm a true Mets fan/underdog fan! Always caring about the ones left behind, left out, etc. That is terrific news about Frank! Nice that the meeting worked out that way. Comfort.

Single mom-hood these days...coming down to the wire. He should be home in the next 5 days. I am thrilled. One of my close friends here says she feels like a jilted lover when he comes home, lol, because we shut out the rest of the world to enjoy eachother's company again. She makes me laugh, that's important. My dd is doing great! She is such a great kid. I am thoroughly proud of her. I am so blessed in this life, I swear. Prayer helps.

Jane, I am such an animal lover. Your dogs are sooooooo cute. I love their expressions. The beagle is saying, "OK, can I go in now?" and the greyhound, so beautiful by the way...saying, "Hi Mom, thanks for my comforts". I miss my "Daph", that's my dog, Daphne. I will have to post of pic of her one of these days. She is with my husband and will be home along with him any day now! My bil has a beagle here and I love him. He is so smart and carefree.

Dreamz, I think what Paula said makes a lot of sense. We'll carry you when you need it. You are a great person, a spark plug, as my mechanic husband calls me. Good things happen to good people. Keep the faith!

C'est, it got awfully cold here this week, how's your part of Europe and most importantly, how are you today? You are another solo Mom these days, right?

Rae, I am so glad you are feeling well enough to be with us so much lately. You are a blessing and the glue that keeps this board together! Hugs.

Max, Vic, Pattee, you all alright today?
Old 10-20-2006, 07:08 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

WOW.....I finally found you guys.......What a time I had trying to figure out where everyone when.....

Now that I am here I am doing ok and have lots of crafty things for you to figure out.......BUT FIRST THE PUMPKIN CARVING THING....................Find a small pumpkin light in size and paint in all white after you carve two small holes for eyes that are round............This means get your hands yucky......carve out a hole in the back to start.............NOT FROM THE TOP as you are going to hand this baby from a tree or something................Once the hole is carved hallow out the baby , have the holes for eyes carved as you are making a baby ghost..............find a white piece of material to hang from the bottom and you have your PUMPKIN GHOST..........BE SURE TO PAINT THE PUMPKIN WHITE................Let it dry and you have a ghost of a time trying to hang this baby............

Another pumpkin idea is to find two other pumpkins to decorate like a black cat.....................you need a large in size pumpkin for the body and another small one to place on top......................the small one will act as the head................Be sure to cut the stem from the larger one so the little one fits on top and doesn't fall off..............Once the little pumpkin is carved out you want to sicure it to the larger one with large nails going through the inside of the little one...............Be sure you have your cat face carved out once you are done....................then paint the two pumpkins black ...........The eyes hopefully you cut two triangle shapes for the eyes to use as the ears for the top of the little pumpkin................at the top cut two small notches to place the ears and to let in some light after you put the little candle inside to light the way for this little kitty.....................HAVE A HAPPY CARVING TIME.............

All else going ok as I am busy trying to get a few things done ...............Soon I will share some other projects with you all when time allows..........I have Corn Husk Dolls for you to try and make for Thanksgiving.............Real neat things for the table.........................The MEN can do this one if they want.....................OK MEN don't forget to try the pumpkin carving thing as well....................I have other Pumpkin carving ideas Will drop by later and let you know what they are......................................Love you all ......................Little Penguin

After all this writing to you all I was not allowed to post and this steams me off a bit......But I got over it and finally got my post up.........What a morning........Hope the rest goes better.......Later all
Old 10-20-2006, 07:11 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

It's a nasty, rainy day here...the arthritis in my shoulders drives me absolutely on days like this!

Hope you're all having a good Friday.

Last thing to take and first thing to open is of course...the computer.
You know it Etimee!

You are a blessing and the glue that keeps this board together!
Don't know about that, E! What I do know is that you folks are stuck with me.

Now they tell me that my password is invalid and won't let me login, I'll have to re-sign up under a new name.
Paula...what a pain...ezboard can be so finicky at times...please try again.

Penguin...your pumpkin decorations sound great. I used to do a lot, too. Unfortunately, the spirit is still willing; but, the flesh is mighty weak.

I'll have to limit my Halloween decorating to HATZ and my own little website. Thank goodness for graphics...right, DREAMZ!?!

Last edited by Jersey Nonny; 10-20-2006 at 07:32 AM.
Old 10-20-2006, 07:37 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Before I forget...this is the thought for today:

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
Theodore Roosevelt

Old 10-20-2006, 08:05 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by raerob
Before I forget...this is the thought for today:

It is hard to fail, but it is worse never to have tried to succeed.
Theodore Roosevelt

Love it! Thanks Rae
Old 10-20-2006, 08:08 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Lil Penquin, thanks for the ideas. Dd has a pumpkin carving/decorating competition at school...we need all the ideas we can get!
Old 10-20-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone.......Glad some of you got to check out my pumpkin ideas so far.........

Thanks raeob for the note of advise with your quote for the day.....LOVE IT.......

Etimee......I have more ideas for you......and everyone else...

Pumpkin Ideas....

Get one large Pumpkin.......One small pumpkin to fit on top of the small one to create a CONDO affect......

2nd. cut the top of each pumpkin out so you can carve out the insides................the top pumpkin you need to carve out the bottom to set it on top of the larger one........Be careful as you only need a fist size opening to let in the light from the larger pumpkin..................................The larger pumpkin needs the top off and a hole large enough to cover the bottom of the hole from your small one............ Next.... ....draw windows (not too detailed) on the front side

3rd. use a carving tool (one used to carve wood....nothing expensive ) to cut out the windows slowly so as not to mess up.........DON'T CARVE TOO DEEP.........leave some of the white skin intact to create a window effect......

4th. each carving tool is different ....so pick the one that works well for the detailed work......

5th. Carve the orange skin away carefully only leaving what you need to show your design........

6th. once done you can carefully stack the small one on top of the larger one...................Be careful to place it some where that it won't get knocked over...........Otherwise you can secure it with a nail or two from the inside ....that might work........
HAVE FUN.....I saw this one in a magazine.......But it only showed the windows..........I may add a moon and some things flying in the darkness........and maybe a black cat in the window or something.........

Love ya all and have a wonderful day........The sun is out here and it is about 85 degrees........with 30-40 at night......

Little Penguin
Old 10-20-2006, 11:10 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi there ........I found another source to pumpkin stuff on the WEB...................Check : kidsdomain.com

This will show you lots of neat things to do crafty stuff................I found stuff on Halloween and carving pumpkins 3D style.....Real cool and might try myself....But time and other factors need to be considered........HAVE FUN......
Little Penguin
Old 10-20-2006, 11:30 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Happy Friday, everyone!

I hope you're all having a great day....

Rae, I love the quotes!

It's nice and sunny here (all the snow from the other day has melted), but the wind is blowing like crazy. It looks like a blizzard of dry leaves outside.

Kiddos are all home from school today, but not because they're sick (for a change)! School is closed for parent/teacher conferences, so the kids able to fully enjoy their time at home.

It sounds fun to bake today, so I'm off to dig through my grandma's old recipe box to see what I can come up with....

Hugs,
Jane
Old 10-20-2006, 02:16 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

Glad you're enjoying the "words of wisdom".

Don't you just love the smell of baking/cooking...particularly on a nasty day? It just makes it feel like home. I fried some potatoes and onions (hash browns) to have with scrambled eggs for dinner tonight. Mmmmmn.

I always enjoyed cooking...don't do as much anymore.
Old 10-20-2006, 02:31 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Old & Sober Member of AA

I found this site after checking out one Arura had recommended to someone at SR who complained of being bored...it's a riot!

http://www.crazythoughts.com/Who thinks up these things? Someone who is bored or has too much time on his/her hands?

Last edited by Anna; 10-20-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 10-20-2006, 03:07 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

OK, so I baked a CHERRY PIE this afternoon! MMMMM! However, I can't take credit for it being homemade--there was a great sale on "Mrs. Smith's" frozen pies at the grocery store, so I took advantage of that.

Holy cow, it looks like we're in for a real storm! The sky to the north is very dark-gray, and the wind is still strong--blowing branches off of trees, now. Well, this is the kind of weather that just cries out for homey stuff--baking, reading, crocheting, candles, hot cocoa. I'm going to enjoy it while it's too early to be sick of cold weather. (You can bet I'll be absolutely CRAZY by the time January rolls around. Summer is much better)

Is it just me, or is the World Series late this year? I really don't follow baseball, but it occured to me that we have NFL football & NHL hockey going on now, and it doesn't seem that the World Series should be JUST beginning...

Originally posted by raerob:
Glad you're enjoying the "words of wisdom".
Oh, I'm a sucker for a good quote! I love those websites with all the quotations organized by subject/author/etc. (quotegarden.com, thinkexist.com) And one of my favorite books is "Bartlett's Familiar Quotations." (I know--what a nerd! ) Now I'm off to check out that crazythoughts.com Rae mentioned!

Have a good night/day!

Love,
Jane
Old 10-20-2006, 06:35 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Grateful Member!

If you only have one eye...are you blinking or winking?

Good gads some people really do have too much time on their hands, thanks to them I got a few minutes of giggles. Thanks Rae.

Oh Eti, story of my life rooting for the underdog. My mom has always said that when I was little and we went out to eat, (not too often) that I would always as if I could sit with anyone sitting alone, I can remember feeling sad that they were eating by themselves. She often let me go over to them and I would ask if they wanted company. Funny now when the kids go potty, I always ask that too, company or privacy? They usually say, comperary. anyway I guess it is innate, funny enough, I tend to need a fair to a lot of alone time or I go crazy. What's up with that???

So glad your hubby is coming home soon and your daughter is doing well, she sounds so much like my neice, nose in the books, B's will not do. My sister told her the other week when she didn't have a date for the dance that it is hard enough for boys to ask girls out but nearly impossible if they won't look up from their books. Not something my mother ever had to say to me! Ha.

Kids were fiddling with the lights in my car yesterday, I asked, told then yelled at them to stop, we go through this every few weeks, I explain that the battery will get run down and the car won't start. Well the car wouldn't start this morning as I tried to get Patsy (the dog) to an emergency vet visit. Thank goodness for 24 hour roadside. Off to the vet we went. I knew it, she has a mouth full of rotten teeth, my poor little pup, they are going to pull and clean whatever they must and can on Wednesday. She will be 9 on 1/1 so I am a little worried about her, boy oh boy will she be spoiled until Wednesday at 9 am. I look forward to some less stinky kisses on Thursday. Say a few puppy prayers for her if you would so that going under doesn't do her in, she's on 7.5 lbs, smaller than any of my babies were when the were born!

YUM, cherry pie. I am not a baker, I'll like to cook but bake, not my thing. I do break and bake nestle cc cookies, they smell could knock ya on your tush when you walk through the door. and Duncan hines brownies, so a Mrs. Smiths would be pushing my baking skills, I'll try it tomorrow, bet she makes a pumpkin pie, I love pumkin pie!

Oh I will stop rambling now. Hugs to you all. Happy Friday or Saturday if you're there all ready!
Old 10-20-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sounds like you guys are having some nasty storms......At least some of you.......Cherry Pie sounds good to me....save me a piece...................I love cherry............

I hoped into the pumpkin carving thing and saw a 3D thing to try out..................WOW what a scary face I saw.......maybe I need to stick to the normal things for now..............would be neat to try my hand at some new things and see how I do.........

Well Hope you all have a wonderful night..........It is still warm here and wonder when the winter is really coming.......Still feels like summer...........We are running around in shorts and tank tops for those that love this sunshine thing....................I like it and wish it to stay......But I do love the snow when it comes our way.................Just wonder if we will ever see snow this winter..............................Good night ya all..........Little Penguin
Old 10-21-2006, 12:11 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Paula...my dd is always thinking of the other guy too. She took a girl with Downs Syndrome under her wing last year and the girl wrote a poem about my dd in the school newspaper, I couldn't stop crying!

My dd just started getting into Nancy Drew and she has read most of the classics, Little Women, Great Expectations, Tale of Two Cities..on and on and on she goes...she has more books in her little life than I have read in mine! I always had enough adventure and drama in my own life. lol.

Your poor pup, I will keep him in my prayers...I am a sucker for animals...mush! Pumpkin pie! Another fav. of mine. I have 2 sacred cans of pumpkin left that I brought back from the States. My friend called me this week from her car telling me how she was running from store to store that sold American products looking for canned pumpkin...yep, I offered one of my sacred cans...she sounded so desperate! My dh is planning a hunting trip back to the States so he will have pumpkin on my wish list!

Jane...Mrs. Smith...can't go wrong...I can smell it from here. I love to cook, bake...all of it. Mrs. Smith tho, I am not sure I could compete. ENJOY!

Busy day for us here.

Rae, C'est, Dreamz, Max, Pattee and all!

Hope you all enjoy your Saturday!

Eti
Old 10-21-2006, 05:29 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

ETI, and evryone... do'n good here...

great day to the world...

agw & gol................. pattee (_rz_)