Notices

One Year And Under Part 73

Old 11-08-2023, 01:51 AM
  # 161 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

My dreams have always been 'interesting' I have a very vivid imagination and it definitely plays into my unconscious thoughts! I did find the drinking dreams very discombobulating in my early months, thankfully, like everything else drink related, it eases with the distance of time away from it.

Keep On Keeping On Undies!
Old 11-08-2023, 07:47 AM
  # 162 (permalink)  

Hey Toots!

How are you doing Low Bones?

Day 230 here. Just chugging along without the chugging of course.
Old 11-08-2023, 08:47 AM
  # 163 (permalink)  

Nice: 230 is great, Off.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:32 PM
  # 164 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Offthemast View Post
Hey Toots!

How are you doing Low Bones?

Day 230 here. Just chugging along without the chugging of course.
Doing good! Just crossed over 1 month this past Sunday. Spending a lot of time turning wrenches on the motorcycle recently. Just got back from a short ride for the first time in a while....40 deg. Is not ideal weather for me. Gonna get in a few more miles before the snow...but my days riding 12 months out of the year are behind me at this point.
Old 11-08-2023, 12:38 PM
  # 165 (permalink)  

Hey LowBones
Congratulations on a month!

Old 11-08-2023, 03:35 PM
  # 166 (permalink)  

Thank you, Sam. Congrats on a month LB! Whaddup 5!
Old 11-08-2023, 05:22 PM
  # 167 (permalink)  

Not much here, hope all is well OTM!

My AV tried to start working on me recently but it's not getting far. I still have that book by Allen McG sitting on my desk. Every time I see it I think about you. And how I just have to avoid the first drink.
Old 11-08-2023, 05:29 PM
  # 168 (permalink)  

Did you read it? I have not been to a meeting since June. I will go back if needed though. What stops me is what I went through physically. The pain I caused myself and the worry I caused everyone else. It just isn't worth it. I'm feeling pretty good too. A gym rat for the first time in my life and enjoying it. I always played sports but hated the weights. Now I love it.

I do think alcohol would enhance a few things or events in the course of a year but slowly changing my mind. The sacrifice of those few days of so called fun to gain 350 days of positive growth and momentum is well worth it!

Lets keep at it!
Old 11-08-2023, 07:23 PM
  # 169 (permalink)  

Did you read it? I have not been to a meeting since June. I will go back if needed though. What stops me is what I went through physically. The pain I caused myself and the worry I caused everyone else. It just isn't worth it. I'm feeling pretty good too. A gym rat for the first time in my life and enjoying it. I always played sports but hated the weights. Now I love it.

I do think alcohol would enhance a few things or events in the course of a year but slowly changing my mind. The sacrifice of those few days of so called fun to gain 350 days of positive growth and momentum is well worth it!

Lets keep at it!
I loved the weights till I realized I don't have very good genetics for body building....pretty good for endurance like long distance cycling though, hiking etc.
Old 11-10-2023, 06:52 AM
  # 170 (permalink)  

OTM I wondered what I would feel like the first time I attended a wedding and my first sober Christmas and Hogmanay, but when I gave it more thought I realised that I frequently ruined these experiences for myself by overindulging. I get so much more from these experiences now I am sober and aware throughout. I also have good memories the next day instead of shameful ones or none at all!
There are occasionally times when I wished I was someone who could take an occasional drink, but I know I'm not.
Old 11-10-2023, 12:37 PM
  # 171 (permalink)  

I don't really want an occasional drink. I want to keep the buzz going. But you are correct that it is just not worth it.
Old 11-10-2023, 01:18 PM
  # 172 (permalink)  

I don't really want an occasional drink. I want to keep the buzz going. But you are correct that it is just not worth it.
Yes, this!! And no, it's not worth it at all which is what I keep repeating to myself when the stupid AV tries to convince me otherwise.
Old 11-10-2023, 03:16 PM
  # 173 (permalink)  

Hi :-)

done just over 4 months as a non-drinker (I'm not counting the days anymore but I realized I have passed a 1/3 of a year)

no problems on the 'get-drinking-booze' front - very minor mental urges and some random short-lived physical addict pangs (in guts and throat)

Prepping Tip : I've been gaming Mad-Max-world in my head and found wood a massive problem - you are looking at 50 kilos of wood a week for a single person to sterilize water and cook food for just themselves (I expect after a short time of no electricity people will kill for wood, and fire smoke might alert others for miles around there might be something to eat where the fire is) - so .... a years supply of fuel for water sterilization and cooking =

multifuel camping stove + 40 liters of low octane gasoline :

@ 22ml of low-octane petrol (gasoline) will boil one litre of water (so 44ml litre for daily water supply = 909 days) but with cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene - 40 liters should be fine for a year ...

My costs for this are £130 (for stove + metal canisters [you have to get metal - plastic canisters foul the fuel over time]) + 40 liters fuel ... but I'm in the UK - it you live in decent country these things should be much cheaper

petrol (gasoline) will easy last 10 years if you keep it airtight in a metal container (remix it once every 2 weeks by gently turning the canister upside-down 6 times (with the lid closed - silly)...

if you look for vids on YouTube about making petrol from waster plastic you we see it is relatively easy to make your own fuel

anyway - well done if you are still a non-drinker :-)
Old 11-10-2023, 08:44 PM
  # 174 (permalink)  

Great job, everyone!

When I get those romantic thoughts, which come more seldom now, I read through my first posts here. I read through the thread I created to keep myself accountable. I was raw. Sometimes every minute felt like a year.

I cut through the crap and remembered stuff. Like sneaking. Hiding bottles. Seeing spiders that weren’t there. Getting the shakes by noon and trying to believe it was just nerves, not withdrawal.

”Just one?” My addict begs…..

Ahhh, HELL NO!! “ Puuuhhhleeeeze!!”, I respond. “One is NEVER enough. A BOTTLE is not enough”

no thanks.

and that response, and the active seeking to squash that addictive voice serve me well
Old 11-11-2023, 06:02 AM
  # 175 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by redcardid View Post
Hi :-)

done just over 4 months as a non-drinker (I'm not counting the days anymore but I realized I have passed a 1/3 of a year)

no problems on the 'get-drinking-booze' front - very minor mental urges and some random short-lived physical addict pangs (in guts and throat)

Prepping Tip : I've been gaming Mad-Max-world in my head and found wood a massive problem - you are looking at 50 kilos of wood a week for a single person to sterilize water and cook food for just themselves (I expect after a short time of no electricity people will kill for wood, and fire smoke might alert others for miles around there might be something to eat where the fire is) - so .... a years supply of fuel for water sterilization and cooking =

multifuel camping stove + 40 liters of low octane gasoline :

@ 22ml of low-octane petrol (gasoline) will boil one litre of water (so 44ml litre for daily water supply = 909 days) but with cooking, cleaning, personal hygiene - 40 liters should be fine for a year ...

My costs for this are £130 (for stove + metal canisters [you have to get metal - plastic canisters foul the fuel over time]) + 40 liters fuel ... but I'm in the UK - it you live in decent country these things should be much cheaper

petrol (gasoline) will easy last 10 years if you keep it airtight in a metal container (remix it once every 2 weeks by gently turning the canister upside-down 6 times (with the lid closed - silly)...

if you look for vids on YouTube about making petrol from waster plastic you we see it is relatively easy to make your own fuel

anyway - well done if you are still a non-drinker :-)
consider building yourself a rocket stove. the air flow design for efficiency let's you accomplish a lot with wood that would normally be used for kindling. They can be made in any size you need to accommodate whatever task you are trying to accomplish.
Old 11-11-2023, 06:54 AM
  # 176 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Free2bme888 View Post
Great job, everyone!

When I get those romantic thoughts, which come more seldom now, I read through my first posts here. I read through the thread I created to keep myself accountable. I was raw. Sometimes every minute felt like a year.

I cut through the crap and remembered stuff. Like sneaking. Hiding bottles. Seeing spiders that weren’t there. Getting the shakes by noon and trying to believe it was just nerves, not withdrawal.

”Just one?” My addict begs…..

Ahhh, HELL NO!! “ Puuuhhhleeeeze!!”, I respond. “One is NEVER enough. A BOTTLE is not enough”

no thanks.

and that response, and the active seeking to squash that addictive voice serve me well
This is a good reminder, Free, thank you. I do occasionally re-read my accountability thread for just this reason. The early struggles do fade with time, but I don't want to forgot those days and how I felt, and how my brain was just obsessed with everything related to drinking. Yuck.
Old 11-12-2023, 11:39 PM
  # 177 (permalink)  
The Dog

Day 131 ODAAT all I have to do if I'm tempted is remember how horrible I felt last time. I don't ever care to feel like that again.
Old 11-13-2023, 12:25 PM
  # 178 (permalink)  

Day 235. Beast raging a little today. I won't drink but sometimes these cravings are a little strong out of nowhere. Going to go to the gym. Alcohol=Death for me.

Keep on keeping on.
Old 11-13-2023, 11:30 PM
  # 179 (permalink)  
The Dog

132 odaat
Old 11-14-2023, 12:29 AM
  # 180 (permalink)  

Great to see you pop by Free, and great post too. I have that same thought, I always play the tape forward, if I stopped at one or two drinks it was for a specific reason and I felt unfulfilled, and would often focus my attention on the next chance I would get to have a drink (so if I was driving, I would think about the brandies I could have when we got home to make up for waiting). Otherwise, it would be full steam ahead. I enjoyed myself and my drinking, I was a happy drunk not a social buzzkill or fighter, but now sober coming across 'me's I see how annoying I must have been. One drink is one to many and never enough.

OTM the gym will do you more good and give you a focus for your urges.

DDog you're doing great